PDA

View Full Version : Whose backhand is better, Wozniacki or Azarenka??

Pops Maellard
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:22 AM
:confused:

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:24 AM
Vika's. Dullniacki's BH is a decent shot, I'll admit, but Vika's return of serve on her backhand is simply amazing, so I'll go with her. It's also important to note that Dullniacki's BH became worse since late 2010/early 2011, so Vika wins for sure.

Nicolás89
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Caro's, simply because no matter how bad she ended the year playing at her best she does everything better than Vika minus hitting forehands and returning serves.

Potato
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Vika's backhand is an amazing shot on its own. Caroline's backhand is good as well but mainly because it is supplemented by her good movement and terrific anticipation. So Vika's.

atominside
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
Vika's is awfully brilliant :cry:

Ryan
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Offensively, definitely Vika's. But overall, I give a slight edge to Caroline because she's so good with it defensively - passing shots and lobs, as well as neutral rallies and on the run. If Vika isn't set up to hit her backhand, I don't think its that great.

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
I don't know. There are things that are good about both.

I do feel Borz has more disguise with her BH when she actually finishes the points. Although I'm not sure if the opponent is just surprised that she actually leaned into a shot.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:37 AM
Azarenka

cowsonice
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:50 AM
Azarenka has some beautiful backhand shots especially backhand swinging volleys, but given how Wozniacki's fh and serve is relatively abysmal, it speaks volumes as to how good Wozniacki's bh, as a rallying and attacking shot, is to her game.

Tunk
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:06 AM
Amazing shot from Woz always come from her Backhand.

bobito
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Wozniacki's is the better shot to my mind but smart players have been able to put it under pressure of late. I've seen it a few times where they hit wide to Caro's forehand 2 or 3 times in a row. To compensate, Caro stands a little over to the forehand side and is anticipating another out there. A ball hit wide to her backhand then has her hitting off balance and draws the error. But, even though it's a backhand error, this stems from a weakness on her forehand not her backhand.

Other than that though, hitting to Caro's backhand is asking for trouble, as Kuznetsova discovered at the US Open this year.

doktor
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Woz seems to win matches single (double) handedly off the backhand side. She's got no forehand and her serve has degraded in the last 12 months - logically the backhand must be pretty amazing.

Though i personally like Vika's better but i'm not sure if that's just cause i personally like Vika better :oh:

But c'mon Woz has to win at least one TF poll this off season :lol:

LUVMIRZA
Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Vika's:hearts:

vozas
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

I do feel Borz has more disguise with her BH when she actually finishes the points. Although I'm not sure if the opponent is just surprised that she actually leaned into a shot.

:lol::lol::sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

Break My Rapture
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
Azarenka's is as technically sound as can be, she is able to generate quite a lot of pace with it by taking balls early with her BH. Contrary to what some say in here, it's also fairly good defensively. She is able to pull off passing shots, with ease. She also has a decent to good BH slice (which she almost never uses but anyway). Wozniacki's BH has regressed, it used to be her main gun when she was counterpunching by hitting it DTL, she does nothing with it anymore nowadays, just like she does with her FH. Wozniacki's BH slice is also downright pathetic.

:haha:

Big_Banana
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Na's

Corswandt
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Toria by a considerable margin.

Wozniacka's BH only gets praise because the rest of her game is so brutally pedestrian. It's a dependable rally shot, nothing more.

Renalicious
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Wozniacki's.

I actually think it's quite a spectacular shot when it's on. (I'm talking about Caro at her peak, like late 2010). She can attack with it better than Vika, defend with it better, lob with it, place it better, hit it harder etc. Only thing is, she doesn't have a slice. :lol:

Setsuna.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Vika's is better.

hERi
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
vika of course

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Wozniacka's BH only gets praise because the rest of her game is so brutally pedestrian. It's a dependable rally shot, nothing more.

THIS.

I've been saying this about Wozniacki's BH, JJ's BH and Radwanska's 'variety' for a long time.

Bonfire
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Wozniacki

when it's truly on...it's her "shotmaker" painting corner lines even from out of position.

Apoleb
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM

Yeah, kinda this.

Azarenka's cross-court backhand is the closest thing to a worldclass shot she has. It's not big enough to single handedly overpower her opponents, but it's good enough to let her get on top of a lot of opponents (but she can't make use of it), and she has excellent consistent depth on it.

I wouldn't say Wozniacki's backhand is just a dependable rally shot. She gets good depth on it, and a respectable amount of top spin that is not always very easy to control - overall it is a very good retrieving shot. If her forehand was anything close to that, she'd be much harder to handle. And I would think that's what Sanchez will be trying to do to her forehand (increase depth and top spin), rather than make it the new Federer forehand on the tour.

Jane Lane
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM

This.

moby
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
THIS.

I've been saying this about Wozniacki's BH, JJ's BH and Radwanska's 'variety' for a long time.Peak JJ's BH was actually a world-class shot. The quality of the shot itself wasn't anything we haven't seen before, but she disguised it and placed it extremely well.

As for the original thread topic, I think it's pretty close. I can't really decide between the two.

Flavia P.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Vika's is stronger.

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM

This.

Nicolás89
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM

Receipts on how good this dependable rally shot truly is.

KQ-FvlKZNJM

homogenius
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
They are quite close but I voted for Wozniacki's bh

CWTennis
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Receipts on how good this dependable rally shot truly is.

KQ-FvlKZNJM
:hearts:

Spring Pools
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Azarenka definitely.

Holdsworth
Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Perhaps, Woz's.. But now her BH is worse, than in 2010. Vika has a decent backhand as well as forehand.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
babywoz has a great BH so i voted for her