PDA

View Full Version : Best match between the most succesful russians in history: Sharapova & Kuznetsova?

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
They have an interesting rivalry. Many times one was in a better form than the other and the result was NID, but some other times they went to three-setters and even though one of them ended up dominating the other at the end.

They are arguably (or not so much) the two best Russians in the WTA history, and their H2H is 6-4 in Masha's favour. So what do you think was their best match?

Here are some highlights of their matches:

Wimbledon 2003 4R (sadly no video of this match anywhere :sad:)

2005 Australian Open QF

AqgoGlFN8fg

2006 Miami F

YYF6eLG9sP0

2006 Madrid YEC RR

K1d0RdLH8B8

2007 Madrid YEC RR

OFDMsf4pJGk

2008 Indian Wells SF

PlxD0DHktAY

2011 Cincinnati 3R

EFrYaNxb4ow

I really look forward for these two to meet in a Grand Slam again. Hopefully next year! :bounce:

Nicolás89
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:19 AM
Their match in Australia. :worship:

atominside
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
Gotta be the 2005 win for maria in australia or the 2008 IW. I;d go with the 2005 AO. More high q

Fighterpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
2005 AO QF was their best match, by far. The match point was one of the best I've ever seen in womens tennis :hearts:

My personal fave is their 2007 RR match where Masha was unstoppable in the last 2 sets, so many winners, I enjoyed it so much :drool:

faboozadoo15
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:28 AM
None of their matches equal the quality of the Australian Open encounter. Sveta really threw the kitchen sink at Maria. Such brave hitting and good serving from both players.

SwingVolley93
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:22 AM
2005 AO QF was their best match, by far. The match point was one of the best I've ever seen in womens tennis :hearts:

My personal fave is their 2007 RR match where Masha was unstoppable in the last 2 sets, so many winners, I enjoyed it so much :drool:

Was a very high quality match but, if that is the one of the best you've ever seen you reall don't watch tennis that much. Sveta kept hitting it right to Maria and floated the volley. The only thing that made it "so spectacular" was Maria's dramatic grunting and racket throw. :shrug:

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
05 AO was the best match, my favorite is the 07 YEC match :drool:

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:31 AM
I've seen all of these except the first one.

None of them stand out to me. I was surprised how comprehensively Kuznetsova beat Martha in Miami '06 though.

dsanders06
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
Watching the 2005 match now... I'd forgotten how ridiculous the beginning of Maria's service motion used to look :lol:

Corswandt
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Watching the 2005 match now... I'd forgotten how ridiculous the beginning of Maria's service motion used to look :lol:

:bs:

Dissing Baby Martha's service motion = blasphemy.

claypova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM

None of them stand out to me. I was surprised how comprehensively Kuznetsova beat Martha in Miami '06 though.

Maria was tired :zzz:

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Maria was tired :zzz:

And I think she lost a set to Kirilenko that tournament. That says enough.

Break My Rapture
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
IW '08 SF was one of the worst matches ever. I'll go for AO '05.

doomsday
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
IW '08 SF was one of the worst matches ever. I'll go for AO '05.

Definitely true even Kuz admitted that Maria was simply awful and made a loooot of UE but Kuz was the first player to beat her in 2008 so for that I can give her some credit for her win.

madmax
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
dunno...
this matchup really doesn't excite me even if Maria is playing well. It depends too much on form of either player and most of the encounters were error-filled and dull to be honest.

doomsday
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
dunno...
this matchup really doesn't excite me even if Maria is playing well. It depends too much on form of either player and most of the encounters were error-filled and dull to be honest.

All meetings on fast HC were pretty good from Maria, on fast HC Kuz can't do anything against an in form Maria, she got outplayed 6164 in YEC2004 and YEC2006, and 576262 in YEC2007. But you right about their meetings slow HC it's most of the time an error fest.

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
I didnt see all of these, but they rarely were both in form when they played.
Maybe the Cincy 2010 match where Sveta had just won in California. But I didnt see that match.

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
YEC 2007 was such a high quality match :angel:. AO 2005 was the best one though :shrug::bowdown:. Maria was the Wimbledon defending champ and Kuzzy was the USO defending champ so It was a very quality match.

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
YEC 2007 was such a high quality match :angel:. AO 2005 was the best one though :shrug::bowdown:. Maria was the Wimbledon defending champ and Kuzzy was the USO defending champ so It was a very quality match.Because they both held a major doesnt mean its a high quality match.
They both held majors in Beijing 2004, and Sveta won easliy. And YEC 2004, when Maria won easily
My memory of AO 2005 QF was extreme heat, and Sveta looked exhausted to me in set 3

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Because they both held a major doesnt mean its a high quality match.
They both held majors in Beijing 2004, and Sveta won easliy. And YEC 2004, when Maria won easily
My memory of AO 2005 QF was extreme heat, and Sveta looked exhausted to me in set 3

Well it doesn't happen very often nowadays that the winners of the past year grand slams meet in the QF of a slam :shrug:. The match was intense and amazing. Loved the match point. I'm very curious to know what their match in Cincinnati 2010 was :scratch:. I never saw that match.

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Well it doesn't happen very often nowadays that the winners of the past year grand slams meet in the QF of a slam :shrug:. The match was intense and amazing. Loved the match point. I'm very curious to know what their match in Cincinnati 2010 was :scratch:. I never saw that match.

I saw it live. Decent first set, then Maria threw in a bad service game to open up set #2 and she went completely off the rails. She got it back together in the third when Kuzzie was obviously tired from her Carlsbad win the week before. Maria's intensity was worth the price of admission, but the tennis was meh.

miffedmax
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
http://cowbell.typepad.com/forty_deuce/images/2008/08/07/lenadarrival.jpg
I refuse to concede your initial premise.

Her bangs.

faboozadoo15
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM

Maria was tired, and Kuznetsova was flawless.

atominside
Dec 22nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Maria was tired, and Kuznetsova was flawless.

4 straight weeks with winning indian wells and reaching the final in MIA. And that match vs golovin that finished at like 1am. That was her best chance to win miami though :sad:

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
I saw it live. Decent first set, then Maria threw in a bad service game to open up set #2 and she went completely off the rails. She got it back together in the third when Kuzzie was obviously tired from her Carlsbad win the week before. Maria's intensity was worth the price of admission, but the tennis was meh.

Thanks for the info. To bad this match wasn't streamed.

dsanders06
Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
:bs:

Dissing Baby Martha's service motion = blasphemy.

oh, don't get me wrong, it was great in terms of effectiveness (certainly better than her serve now). The beginning of the motion just looks ridiculous and really overexaggerated for some reason :lol: It became much smoother in 2006.