PDA

View Full Version : talking about tennis: why is BH DTL the best shot in women tennis?

Fantasy Hero
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
statistically talking, most of the girls on top of WTA have/had their best weapon on this shot, since i'm not a tennis coach/player/expert/etc. i have always wondered the reason why that happens. My first thought was that generally women's FH side is the weakest, so that's a great weapon to expose that weakness, but maybe any of you can prove me wrong and explain me his reasons.

Kəv.
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have a better BH DTL :oh:

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM
Technically speaking, one can defend much better his backhand wing (regardless of whether it's a one or two-handed stroke) than his forehand wing. Unless it's a lefty vs. right-handed match, a big, flat struck BHDTL sets up the point for an easy putaway.

Pops Maellard
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
*ahem* Elena Dementieva :oh:.

madmax
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
well, current best ATP player also has awesome BH DTL and sets up many easy putaway opportunities with it...and since WTA is so BH dominated, many girls just practise it more and base their games arround this wing

thegreendestiny
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
In all my years playing tennis, backhand down the line is by far the most difficult one to do. It takes special timing and ball-contact to make a decent one. Mastering it however is an entirely different skill. That is why its almost amazing to watch it everytime when players hit clean winners from it.

miffedmax
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Please. Everyone knows this shot is a physical impossibility.

Lena's bangs.

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
In all my years playing tennis, backhand down the line is by far the most difficult one to do. It takes special timing and ball-contact to make a decent one. Mastering it however is an entirely different skill. That is why its almost amazing to watch it everytime when players hit clean winners from it.
Really? BHDTL is by far my best shot. I can hit it 8/10 with surprising accuracy. I think it's because on the backhand side, it's easier to control the shot hitting it with two hands. Because of that, they can hit it harder and not make as many errors as they would on the forehand side. I think it boils down to being able to control the shot better...

Linguae^
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
That's my best and favourite shot, although I'm just a recreational player.

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's my best shot too. I have a two-handed BH and I've always hit it with much more precision than my FH. I'm a goofy when snowboarding and such and I have a lot of dexterity in my left hand, so that probably has a lot to do with that. I have a decent forehand but I'm better at creating angles with it rather than blasting a winner out of nowhere, whilst with a BH I can redirect it much better. I need more time to set my FH properly so I guess both my wings are about even on clay, but I do struggle a bit with my FH on grass (even though I rarely play there) and on quikcer HCs.

Break My Rapture
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:36 PM
So true. So many things need to be perfectly in order to nail a BH DTL: balance, contact point, stance, momentum, and technique mostly as well. It's SUCH a tricky shot, it fails more often than not. That's why players with good BH DTLs are oftenly crowd favorites, because it's a sensational shot when succesfully nailed.

miffedmax
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Please. It's a lucky fluke. Most often the ball just prangs off the racket at some weird angle.

I used to HATE that when Jankobitch played Lena. The ball would ricochet off the handle of JJ's stick and go down the line for a fluke winner and Lena would be so flustered and JJ would prance around like she did ON PURPOSE. :rolleyes:

The really amazing thing is this would happen like 20 times a match. It just goes to show Bum Bright was right when he said "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Lena's bangs.

Dominic
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Technically speaking, one can defend much better his backhand wing (regardless of whether it's a one or two-handed stroke) than his forehand wing. Unless it's a lefty vs. right-handed match, a big, flat struck BHDTL sets up the point for an easy putaway.

This. As a tennis instructor, I can tell you that the most natural and easiest shot to hit (for novice ppl anyway) is by far the forehand crosscourt and the hardest most unnatural is by far the backhand down the line

Break My Rapture
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Please. It's a lucky fluke. Most often the ball just prangs off the racket at some weird angle.

I used to HATE that when Jankobitch played Lena. The ball would ricochet off the handle of JJ's stick and go down the line for a fluke winner and Lena would be so flustered and JJ would prance around like she did ON PURPOSE. :rolleyes:

The really amazing thing is this would happen like 20 times a match. It just goes to show Bum Bright was right when he said "I'd rather be lucky than good."

Lena's bangs.
:sobbing:

Dominic
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM
statistically talking, most of the girls on top of WTA have/had their best weapon on this shot, since i'm not a tennis coach/player/expert/etc. i have always wondered the reason why that happens. My first thought was that generally women's FH side is the weakest, so that's a great weapon to expose that weakness, but maybe any of you can prove me wrong and explain me his reasons.

What makes you say that? Statistically speaking, there are way more forehand winners than backhand winners on the men's side as well as on the women's side. Forehands have also been shown to be, on average struck harder than backhands. And even if you go look at the backhands, I'm pretty sure the backhand crosscourt is more of a weapon and hits more winners than the DTL.

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Please. Everyone knows this shot is a physical impossibility.

Lena's bangs.

come on now...you clearly don't play top spin 4 :oh:

yes i went there :o

bobito
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM

Lena's bangs.

:lol:

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM

Lena's bangs.

:hysteric: I love you

The backhand is my better groundstroke as well. I preferred the cross court, because I got good angle off of it and it set up the short ball, but it also set up the down the line put away. Down the line shots, on the forehand as well, break open a rally because they take time away from your opponent, as the ball travels a shorter distance down the line than it does cross court. In my experience the DTL backhand is easier to pull off than the same shot on the forehand, so the DTL backhand is more prevalent.

And the OP hit the nail on then head when he said that most top players have better backhands than forehands. Out of all the top ten players, I'd say eight of them favor their backhands.

Dominic
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
:hysteric: I love you

And the OP hit the nail on then head when he said that most top players have better backhands than forehands. Out of all the top ten players, I'd say eight of them favor their backhands.

Hmm and about 7-8 out of ten of them regularly run around their backhand to hit a forehand.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hmm and about 7-8 out of ten of them regularly run around their backhand to hit a forehand.

the only two girls who really see doing this are Stosur and Kuznetsova :shrug:

Spring Pools
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
top 10 and their better wing

Wozniacki - Backhand
Kvitova - Forehand
Azarenka - Backhand
Sharapova - Backhand
Li - Backhand
Stosur - Forehand
Zvonareva - Backhand
Radwanska - Backhand
Bartoli - Equal
Petkovic - Forehand

SwingVolley93
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:56 PM
I would consider the FH down the line a harder shot to pull off. :shrug:

Dominic
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
the only two girls who really see doing this are Stosur and Kuznetsova :shrug:

Are you serious? Out of the top 20 Kvitova, Sharapova, Stosur, Petkovic, Schiavone, Serena, Clijsters, Lisicki, Cibulkova and Kuznetsova do it. (yes, some more often than others) Those girls will all take at least a few steps to hit a forehand over a backhand if they have time.

Radwanska, Pavlyuchenkova and Pennetta will also choose a forehand over a backhand if they get a floating ball. But they usually choose the side the ball is coming to.

At number 21 and 22 you have Goerges and Ivanovic who also do it quite a lot. Venus Williams also does it. etc etc.

Break My Rapture
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
I would consider the FH down the line a harder shot to pull off. :shrug:
Hardly. Coordination is much easier on this shot as you're only hitting with one hand, and if you're not going for broke it's rather easy to spin it in with the DTL direction. A stroke with 2 hands seems much easier for many because of the added control but nailing a BH DTL requires so much more to pull it off than a FH DTL IMO.

atominside
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
i agree. Sharapova's BH DTL is a good barometer to tell where shes at.

Petkorazzi
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
I hit the BHDTL with ease while I struggle more when going for the DTL or inside-out forehand. :shrug:

Moveyourfeet
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM

Your first statement is wrong. Players in general defend MUCH better off their forehand side than backhand.
Secondly, a backhand down the line, has to be hit excellently well and at the right time, otherwise you setup a high percentage cross court forehand into the open court for your opponent to hit. Wardlaws directionals.

As for the OP: it goes off a premise there isn't necessarily a consensus upon.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hardly. Coordination is much easier on this shot as you're only hitting with one hand, and if you're not going for broke it's rather easy to spin it in with the DTL direction. A stroke with 2 hands seems much easier for many because of the added control but nailing a BH DTL requires so much more to pull it off than a FH DTL IMO.

I would disagree with both of you and say they are of equal difficulty. Either stroke (fh or bh dtl) will seem easier to certain people because they are more proficient in that stroke.

For both shots, going down the line (especially if you are changing direction off a cross court shot) require precise timing. For a 2 handed backhand and forehand, timing the shot is of equal difficulty.
It's a bit harder for a 1 handed backhand because you have a smaller contact point window to hit an offensive shot.

DefyingGravity
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
I dunno. It doesn't seem that bizarre to me because for a long time (till my forehand caught up) my backhand down-the-line was my best shot, and I would hit down the line winners with reckless abandon. I think part of it is the fact that a forehand takes more time to develop, while many people with two handed backhands can handle pace and dish it out and redirect it at a younger age, which is why the WTA is more backhand dominated. Though, I will say with Serena, Stosur, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Henin (seriously), Petra, and some of the other women, the forehand might slowly make a comeback as well. Maybe we'll see balanced groundstroke capability. Ooh, that would be nice.

SwingVolley93
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM

NO :ras:

effedcamel
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:00 PM
It always amazes me how backhand-centric the womens game is. In theory, the forehand should be the most natural and easy to control shot and also the most powerful since it is a natural motion for the body.

On the mens side, it would seem safe to say that (with the exception of Djoker) the best recent male players have all had outstanding forehands that they could build their games around. Jesustine also did the same thing.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
It always amazes me how backhand-centric the womens game is. In theory, the forehand should be the most natural and easy to control shot and also the most powerful since it is a natural motion for the body.

How can you say that when the forehands have been proven to be struck harder than backhands, on average on the wta tour. And about 90% of players hit more winners off their forehand than backhand.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:16 AM
Because the number of women who can hit a proper forehand is about the same as amount of women who can serve.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:29 AM
Because the number of women who can hit a proper forehand is about the same as amount of women who can serve.

Wether you consider it proper is irrelevant here. For example Sharapova (playing well) probably doesn't have proper and very pretty technique off her fh but it still gets the job done. It produces a lot of power, it's precise, relatively consistent and it hits TONS of winners. Wether you like it or not, that's a damn good forehand.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:32 AM
Sharapova's forehand follow-through destroyed her shoulder and her tennis career as an elite player. I would hardly call that a proper forehand. Plus, even if I were to admit Sharapova has a good forehand, the thread isn't about her. It's about the majority of the WTA players having pathetic forehands.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:39 AM
Sharapova's forehand follow-through destroyed her shoulder and her tennis career as an elite player. I would hardly call that a proper forehand. Plus, even if I were to admit Sharapova has a good forehand, the thread isn't about her. It's about the majority of the WTA players having pathetic forehands.

I already said wether you consider it proper or not is 100% irrelevant here. Wether anyone does is irrelevant for that matter. The OP is saying backhands are usually bigger weapons than forehands. I gave Sharapova as an example cause her backhand is considered better than her forehand in general (I personally disagree) But her forehand is actually a MUCH bigger weapon than her backhand because it is hit with more power and creates WAAY more winners than her backhand.

Same can be said about the majority of wta players. Wether their forehand is technically sound or not, it is a bigger weapon than their backhand. The only 2 players that come to my mind who genuinely hit harder off the bh and probably hit more winners off that wing are Jankovic and Wozniacki. Possibly Zvonareva but doubtful.

And even if you do look closer to wta players' backhands, the crosscourt bh is usually much steadier and more of a weapon than the dtl.

cowsonice
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:42 AM
Eh to me it's more inside out backhand than BHDTL these days. That gives players more space and time to hit bhdtl's that use a technique more similar to BH CC's

atominside
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
backhands are more of a set-up shot

Fantasy Hero
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Are you serious? Out of the top 20 Kvitova, Sharapova, Stosur, Petkovic, Schiavone, Serena, Clijsters, Lisicki, Cibulkova and Kuznetsova do it. (yes, some more often than others) Those girls will all take at least a few steps to hit a forehand over a backhand if they have time.

Radwanska, Pavlyuchenkova and Pennetta will also choose a forehand over a backhand if they get a floating ball. But they usually choose the side the ball is coming to.

At number 21 and 22 you have Goerges and Ivanovic who also do it quite a lot. Venus Williams also does it. etc etc.
i think this post sums up what i meant:
top 10 and their better wing

Wozniacki - Backhand
Kvitova - Forehand
Azarenka - Backhand
Sharapova - Backhand
Li - Backhand
Stosur - Forehand
Zvonareva - Backhand
Radwanska - Backhand
Bartoli - Equal
Petkovic - Forehand
in any case i kinda disagree with you, because the majority of the players you mentioned aren't really that effective on their FH side as their tecnic is way too bad to be consistent on that side, so they may be hitting some great winners with FH, but their BH are more stable and produce the game and the solutions they need to hit winners, that's why i say women tennis is more about BH than FH.
How can you say that when the forehands have been proven to be struck harder than backhands, on average on the wta tour. And about 90% of players hit more winners off their forehand than backhand.

this was quite a nice answer :lol:

mac47
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Petra's stats from Wimbledon this year showed IMO that she doesn't really have a "better wing." She hit the same number of winners with forehand and backhand, and the same number of winners crosscourt and down the line on both sides. Opponents had no freaking clue where the ball was going to go.

Banditoo
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Venus' BH DTL is the best! End of the story.

Cajka
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM

Those who have a good fh usually have a good serve as well (I say "usually", I didn't forget about Dementieva), because they are generally powerful players. Why some of them (Anči, Sam) have such awful backhands is beyond me... Or maybe not so illogical at all. That fh is an amazing weapon, so they tend to overuse it and don't feel comfortable when they must hit a bh.

Shuji Shuriken
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Some persons are getting a bit carried away. Hitting more winners or that particular wing being your more powerful side doesn't mean it's your best shot. Your best shot is the shot that hardly breaks down under pressure. It's the shot you can count on to win the point, or to set up the easy put-away. For most women these days, that's their BHDTL...

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
this was quite a nice answer :lol:

Well why do the majority of them run around their backhand to hit a forehand if they have the time and option?? I'll tell you the answer, it's because their forehand is the bigger weapon, it is also the case for any racquet sport.

You could make an argument that their backhand is more stable for some of them, but bigger weapon, hell no.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
For most women these days, that's their BHDTL...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure BHDTL is the shot that is struck the least often in tennis.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Well why do the majority of them run around their backhand to hit a forehand if they have the time and option?? I'll tell you the answer, it's because their forehand is the bigger weapon, it is also the case for any racquet sport.

You could make an argument that their backhand is more stable for some of them, but bigger weapon, hell no.

but the only girls who really run around the ball to hit a FH are Stosur and Kuznetsova...the other girls do that on the high bouncing balls like moon balls because being them all playing with a 2handed BH they have much more solutions on those balls with their FH as they can hit the ball with more spin and can also eventually hit an inside-out which is almost impossible to be hit with BH :shrug:

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
but the only girls who really run around the ball to hit a FH are Stosur and Kuznetsova...the other girls do that on the high bouncing balls like moon balls because being them all playing with a 2handed BH they have much more solutions on those balls with their FH as they can hit the ball with more spin and can also eventually hit an inside-out which is almost impossible to be hit with BH :shrug:

and can also hit it harder. All of what you said plus the power is basically agreeing with me that forehand has a better chance of hitting a winner or putting the opponent in trouble which is saying it's a bigger weapon.

BTW others really do run around their backhand A LOT sometimes being out of the the court to hit a fh, like Sharapova, Petkovic, Ivanovic, Goerges, Venus, Clijsters etc.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
and can also hit it harder. All of what you said plus the power is basically agreeing with me that forehand has a better chance of hitting a winner or putting the opponent in trouble which is saying it's a bigger weapon.

BTW others really do run around their backhand A LOT sometimes being out of the the court to hit a fh, like Sharapova, Petkovic, Ivanovic, Goerges, Venus, Clijsters etc.

about the power i wouldn't be so sure about that, i do believe that most of the girls on tour hit an harder BH than FH.
and i think that most of the girl run around their FH only because it gives them more solutions in terms of placement in order to restart the rally with some advantage, they hardly hit a winner from an high bouncing moon ball with a FH

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
about the power i wouldn't be so sure about that, i do believe that most of the girls on tour hit an harder BH than FH.
and i think that most of the girl run around their FH only because it gives them more solutions in terms of placement in order to restart the rally with some advantage, they hardly hit a winner from an high bouncing moon ball with a FH

Yes it is 100% sure that the vast majority of players hit harder on average off their forehand than backhand. Physically the forehand's bigger swing allows for more of a whiping action with the racket, which produces more power than the backhand's more compact swing. There was even an article about it a couple years ago it might have been tennis mag, don't remember for sure. And also the fact that there are WAY more forehand winners than backhands should give you a hint.

I didn't just mean moonballs, I also meant slow, possibly short balls that allows players to choose between fh and bh to try and put away the shot. Players always choose their fh because they have a better chance of hitting a very offensive shot. The only one I can really think of that wouldn't is JJ.

effedcamel
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yes it is 100% sure that the vast majority of players hit harder on average off their forehand than backhand. Physically the forehand's bigger swing allows for more of a whiping action with the racket, which produces more power than the backhand's more compact swing. There was even an article about it a couple years ago it might have been tennis mag, don't remember for sure. And also the fact that there are WAY more forehand winners than backhands should give you a hint.

I didn't just mean moonballs, I also meant slow, possibly short balls that allows players to choose between fh and bh to try and put away the shot. Players always choose their fh because they have a better chance of hitting a very offensive shot. The only one I can really think of that wouldn't is JJ.

You got the first part right, because, as I said, the forehand is a more natural shot for everyone.

Many of these top women in the past have directly said that their BH, whether DTL or whatever, is their preferred and stronger shot. Did it ever occur to you to consider that they have more FH winners because they're using their more versatile and stronger BH to set-up an easy forehand put away?

And I don't know which womens' matches you're watching, but the majority of the ones I have seen, the women would more often run around their FH to hit a BH (inside-out especially) than run around their BH to hit a FH, bar Kuzzy, Stosur and some Vee & Kim matches.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
You got the first part right, because, as I said, the forehand is a more natural shot for everyone.

Many of these top women in the past have directly said that their BH, whether DTL or whatever, is their preferred and stronger shot. Did it ever occur to you to consider that they have more FH winners because they're using their more versatile and stronger BH to set-up an easy forehand put away?

And I don't know which womens' matches you're watching, but the majority of the ones I have seen, the women would more often run around their FH to hit a BH (inside-out especially) than run around their BH to hit a FH, bar Kuzzy, Stosur and some Vee & Kim matches.
Many also said their forehand is their favourite shots. And not because someone says their best shot is their backhand that it means it's bigger weapon, it could mean it's more consistant. and it does. The shot that produces the most power and the most winners is the bigger weapon, and that's the forehand.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone run around their forehand to hit backhand, except JJ and she hardly ever does that. about 95% of wta players choose to hit a forehand when they have an easy ball and the time to choose, as I've already said before. If you want me to show you video evidence I will.

Vee and Kim matches... have you ever seen Sharapova or Ivanovic matches.

effedcamel
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Many also said their forehand is their favourite shots. And not because someone says their best shot is their backhand that it means it's bigger weapon, it could mean it's more consistant. and it does. The shot that produces the most power and the most winners is the bigger weapon, and that's the forehand.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone run around their forehand to hit backhand, except JJ and she hardly ever does that. about 95% of wta players choose to hit a forehand when they have an easy ball and the time to choose, as I've already said before. If you want me to show you video evidence I will.

Vee and Kim matches... have you ever seen Sharapova or Ivanovic matches.

No, I see your point and don't think we'll see eye to eye on this one so I'd rather save the thread from needless bickering :)

Fantasy Hero
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM

i agree with you all the line, but with the run around their FH for BH, i rarely saw someone doing this.
but i do believe that 90% of the girls on tour hits more winners with BH.

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
No, I see your point and don't think we'll see eye to eye on this one so I'd rather save the thread from needless bickering :)

Ok but tell me why do these girls choose to hit forehands when they have the choice though if their backhand is supposedly their bigger weapon?

Dominic
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
i agree with you all the line, but with the run around their FH for BH, i rarely saw someone doing this.
but i do believe that 90% of the girls on tour hits more winners with BH.

It really is the other way around. As an example, Sharapova who is seen as having a better backhand than forehand at AO07 or 08 there was a stat mentioning that she had something like 120 winners off her forehand and something like 25 off her backhand in her first 5 or 6 matches(those are not the exact numbers but it was very close to that, I could find the real ones and the link if you really want to).

Just watch pretty much any match highlights with players other than Wozniacki and JJ (although there are matches where even them hit more fh winners than bh) and count the winners off of each wing if you have a lot of free time and you'll see there is always many more forehand winners than backhand.

Fantasy Hero
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
It really is the other way around. As an example, Sharapova who is seen as having a better backhand than forehand at AO07 or 08 there was a stat mentioning that she had something like 120 winners off her forehand and something like 25 off her backhand in her first 5 or 6 matches(those are not the exact numbers but it was very close to that, I could find the real ones and the link if you really want to).

Just watch pretty much any match highlights with players other than Wozniacki and JJ (although there are matches where even them hit more fh winners than bh) and count the winners off of each wing if you have a lot of free time and you'll see there is always many more forehand winners than backhand.

i dunno about that tournament in specific but in 2011 all the girls who wanted to win against Masha and then succeeded were trying to move the game to her FH side since it's the first one to collapse, look for exaple the match against Flavia at the USO or the one with Voskoboeva. If that was her biggest weapon she wouldn't be let down so often by it.
and i also think that Stosur would really disagree with you about the n° of winners coming from BH being really little -DTL in the case- as it's the only shot which can kill her kick serve on the left service line.

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ok but tell me why do these girls choose to hit forehands when they have the choice though if their backhand is supposedly their bigger weapon?

It's how most players, myself included, were taught. If you have a bigger forehand than backhand, then you should run round the backhand and hit a forehand. Even though more and more players these days have more solid backhands.

Agreed. I said in an earlier post that a lot of players have better backhands, but that usually means smoother or more consistent. Your example of Sharapova is spot on: her backhand is more consistent, but the forehand is her kill shot. She'll hit more winners and errors off it. The same is true for the Williams sisters, Davenport, Kvitova, Clijsters, and even Henin, who had one of the most celebrated backhands ever.

Dominic
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
i dunno about that tournament in specific but in 2011 all the girls who wanted to win against Masha and then succeeded were trying to move the game to her FH side since it's the first one to collapse, look for exaple the match against Flavia at the USO or the one with Voskoboeva. If that was her biggest weapon she wouldn't be let down so often by it.

Ok and you didn't mention the 95% of players who tried that strategy and failed miserably and could only watch those huge forehand winners go by. I think if you had said "backhands in general are steadier than forehands on the women's side" (BTW I think the crosscourt backhand is much steadier and more powerful than the DTL) that statement would have been true. But best shot, probably not for the majority, and bigger weapon, definitely not for most players.

Dominic
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
It's how most players, myself included, were taught. If you have a bigger forehand than backhand, then you should run round the backhand and hit a forehand.

That's exactly what I've been saying and why these girls do it.

Juanes
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
nice thread Gaspa :yeah:

bandabou
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hmmmm...but not many of them are winning majors. History has shown that if you don't have a good reliable forehand, you ain't winning it big time.

Even Vee, till she fixed that forehand..she wasn't winning majors.
Safina, Jankovic...excellent backhands, weren't winning majors.

Sooo..having a good backhand is nice, but in the big scheme of things...:shrug: