PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone list Kuznetsova's biggest choke jobs?

MechWarrior2k
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:10 AM
Folks say she is a choker, a headcase, and a mental midget. We'll see if that's fact or fiction.

I'm only aware of a few of her "coming up small" moments. Her "bad Kuzzy" moments are too much to fill in a post.

Fed Cup 2011 vs Kvitova (from up 3-0 in the 3rd set to losing the last 6 games)
AO 2009 vs Serena (shriveled up the rest of the match)
USO 2009 vs Wozniacki (I'm still fuming over that one)
USO 2011 vs Wozniacki (sums up Kuzzy's career at critical moments)

Yoncé
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:49 AM
The Serena one at the AO was pretty bad, but that's more of less the roofs fault. Probably USO in 2009 cause she probably would have made the final if she had won that match :shrug:

TheDream
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
I don't think Kuzzy choked at all at the 2011 US Open. She was just dead tired by the end of that 2nd set. She put everything she had into the first set and a half and then wilted after that.

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:09 AM
Folks say she is a choker, a headcase, and a mental midget. We'll see if that's fact or fiction.

I'm only aware of a few of her "coming up small" moments. Her "bad Kuzzy" moments are too much to fill in a post.

Fed Cup 2011 vs Kvitova (from up 3-0 in the 3rd set to losing the last 6 games)
AO 2009 vs Serena (2 MP, then shriveled up the rest of the match)
USO 2009 vs Wozniacki (I'm still fuming over that one)
USO 2011 vs Wozniacki (sums up Kuzzy's career at critical moments)

She never had match points in that match.

Other Kuzzie chokes I can think of off the top of my head:
-2004 French Open 4R, blew a match point against Myskina
-2004 China Open F, blew a championship point against Serena
-2005 French Open 4R, blew a match point against Henin
-2010 Carlsbad F, won the match, but choked away 3 MP badly in the 2nd set vs. Radwanska
-2011 Australian Open 4R, blew 6 match points against Schiavone

MechWarrior2k
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM

-2010 Carlsbad F, won the match, but choked away 3 MP badly in the 2nd set vs. Radwanska

Kuzzy was 2 points away from winning the AO match with Serena.

I wasn't sure whether to call that LONG AO match with Schiavone bad luck or a choke.

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Kuzzy was 2 points away from winning the AO match with Serena.

I wasn't sure whether to call that LONG AO match with Schiavone bad luck or a choke.

2 point away, yep. Not too match points up :)

I like Kuzzie, so I refer to the AO match with Schiavone as a great effort where she came up short. She said herself she barely knew the score deep in the third because she was so exhausted. Six match points is a ton though, and I can't help but wonder what kind of year she would have had if she had won that one.

MarkNL
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:24 AM
AO 2011 was kind of a choke but it was such a grueling match, for the same good Schiavone had failed to convert that mp at 15-14 and Kuzzy had won :shrug:

Smitten
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:59 AM
Biggest chokes?

Hmm, Wimbledon 2008 R4 against Radwanska. 4-1 final set lead.

More to come as I remember them.

Yarden
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
there are so many... :sad:

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM
The most painful one to watch has to be the 4th round against Caroline this year at the USO :help: textbook self destruction.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:38 AM
The worst part about the 2011 USO one was that you just KNEW she was going to choke right around that point. I've never been so sure someone up a set and 4-1 was going to lose a match in my life :sobbing:

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
The worst part about the 2011 USO one was that you just KNEW she was going to choke right around that point. I've never been so sure someone up a set and 4-1 was going to lose a match in my life :sobbing:

Yup. I really didn't want to believe it but as soon as she missed that overhead it really was NID.

rimon
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM
The 2009 AO against Serena was the biggest, IMO. I remember, even when she was up 7-5, 5-3, I knew that she would lose. :rolleyes:

What was hilarious, though, was that Nicole Pratt was commentating, and was asked if Kuznetsova had a habit of choking, to which she replied, "I don't think so". :tape: :spit:

SM
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM
after seeing all those chokes, she really has underachieved, should have won another major or two.

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure which majors she could've won. If it weren't for Justine she'd definitely have at least a couple more FOs by now, but other than that I don't know which other slams she could've won... Maybe the 2009 AO but... nah.

goat
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
:sobbing:

she is probably my favourite player and there are far too many to remember. Same with Bepa, why do I love headcases? ....

madmax
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
Kuzzy should be ashamed that she gifted a slam final and a YE #1 ranking to Dullniacki in the same freaking event...Moonballniacki should send gift cards to Kuzzy for her good will and generosity

Mynarco
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
The 2 USO loss against Wozniacki :tape: particularly the one this year :tape:

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
I don't think Kuzzy choked at all at the 2011 US Open. She was just dead tired by the end of that 2nd set. She put everything she had into the first set and a half and then wilted after that.

Um no.

THIS :bigcry:

The second worst part of that match was Wozniacki fans acting like Caro had something to do with the end result. :o

CloudAtlas
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:31 PM
2011 against Wozniacki was not a choke. Wozniacki herself choked in the first set and Kuznetsova won a couple of important points here and there in the 2nd. At the point that she lost the 4-1 lead her level did not dramatically drop, Wozniacki just became more consistent and Kuznetsova's comfortableness just got the better of her. Plus she was only ahead by one break of serve , which means nothing in a Kuzzy match.

Break My Rapture
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
Making a full list of this topic will result in seizures.

justineheninfan
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
I'm not sure which majors she could've won. If it weren't for Justine she'd definitely have at least a couple more FOs by now, but other than that I don't know which other slams she could've won... Maybe the 2009 AO but... nah.

True, I think she won the only 2 majors she had a real shot at winning. Well I guess the 2009 Australian Open is the one other if she beat Serena at the 2009 Australian Open I have a feeling she would have fallen in one of the next 2 rounds. Her 2 slam final defeats were never winnable matches obviously.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM
the match against caro this year us open was epic :hearts:

Noctis
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
She always choke away leads in matches

Auckland vs Peng a break up in the 2nd set
Sydney vs Li Na had mps
Australia vs Fran had mps
Fedcup vs Cornet up a set and break
Indian wells was leading in both sets vs McHale
Marbella vs Begu had mps
Rome vs Arn had mps lost 11 9 in TB
Wimbledon vs Wickmayer a set up had loads of chances
Toronto be Halep set and break up
USO open 76 41 vs Wozniacki
Fed cup vs Kvitova 30 up final set

Dubai vs Kulikova had millions of chances and mps
Rodionova up a break final set
And the two matches vs Kirilenko

Omg she sucks so much that choking wasn't possible this year

AO vs Serena
Miami vs Azarenka
Fedcup Franchesca
Than to Wozniacki and Venus..

Yorker
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Well she choked 3 out of the 4 grand slams this year, i've always been high on Svetlana's game, one of the most talented out there, she should have more than 2 slams.

Sammo
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM

But came back from the death against Myriam Casanova in the 3rd round.

:sobbing:

she is probably my favourite player and there are far too many to remember. Same with Bepa, why do I love headcases? ....

My 2 favourite active players are Samantha Stosur and Daniela Hantuchova, get over that.

:hysteric: :sobbing:

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
2011 against Wozniacki was not a choke. Wozniacki herself choked in the first set and Kuznetsova won a couple of important points here and there in the 2nd. At the point that she lost the 4-1 lead her level did not dramatically drop, Wozniacki just became more consistent and Kuznetsova's comfortableness just got the better of her. Plus she was only ahead by one break of serve , which means nothing in a Kuzzy match.

Case in point :facepalm:

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Sveta had match point at the 2004 FO against Myskina, 2005 FO against Justine.
They both won the title.
But she came from behind when Serena was serving *4-2, 40-0 in the 3rd at the 2009 FO, broke from 0-40 down, held, broke, held, then beat Stosur & Dinara to win that title.

She's had several close matches, and she's won a bunch of them. Davenport 2004 USO SF, the SF at RG with Vaidisova.

Some good, some not so good. But she's been in a lot of close matches

CloudAtlas
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM
Case in point :facepalm:

It's true though. :shrug:. Kuznetsova was hitting laughable volleys and ridiculous errors in the 1st set too, she didn't suddenly go off the boil in the 2nd set in terms of her game. Wozniacki was leading *4-2 in the 1st set and *5-3 in the tiebreak before losing the set. In the third set , in her own words, Kuznetsova was tired.

In 2009 it was different as she came out all guns blasting and hitting winners everywhere and took the 1st set handily. In the 2nd set Wozniacki hung in and Kuznetsova got tight and when the going got tough she couldn't close out the match even though she had more than her fair share of chances.

Reptilia
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
LOL. good thread

MakarovaFan
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Sveta had match point at the 2004 FO against Myskina, 2005 FO against Justine.
They both won the title.
But she came from behind when Serena was serving *4-2, 40-0 in the 3rd at the 2009 FO, broke from 0-40 down, held, broke, held, then beat Stosur & Dinara to win that title.

She's had several close matches, and she's won a bunch of them. Davenport 2004 USO SF, the SF at RG with Vaidisova.

Some good, some not so good. But she's been in a lot of close matches

Only after choking away the match in set 2(very similar scoreline as their AO match and i think this time she may have had a match point)

dsanders06
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:01 AM

Yup. People always say Kuznetsova has underachieved with her two Slams, but thinking about it, I really don't think there's any Slam she's EVER gone into as THE favourite... even at RG in '09, most would've had her as 3rd favourite at best behind Safina and Serena. And she hadn't established herself as a serious contender before the USO in '04. At the AO'09, she really exceeded expectations just by pushing Serena as hard as she did, and tbh most of the turnaround in that match was Serena, who was exceptionally half-arsed that tournament even by her standards, stepping it up when she realised Kuznetsova wasn't going away. In the whole 2006-08 period, she was always sort of there but not really treated as a serious contender because she went into pretty much every Slam in decent but unspectacular form. So... hard to argue there's many Slams which for hers for the taking that she missed out on, really. I guess for the last couple of years you could say she probably had the potential to be the best claycourter in the field, but it's not like she was ever anywhere near actually winning it in 2010 or 2011, either in terms of her play at the tournament itself or in the warm-ups.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:48 AM
USO 2011 for sure. She had the moonballer at her mercy and collapsed pitifully.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Yup. People always say Kuznetsova has underachieved with her two Slams, but thinking about it, I really don't think there's any Slam she's EVER gone into as THE favourite... even at RG in '09, most would've had her as 3rd favourite at best behind Safina and Serena.

Serena was never favorite for FO. She couldn't even make a single final after her 2002 fluke...

goat
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Will my Sveta ever win another grand slam title? :sobbing:

Reptilia
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:10 AM

:hug: Just be thankful that she has 2.

Smitten
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Yup. People always say Kuznetsova has underachieved with her two Slams, but thinking about it, I really don't think there's any Slam she's EVER gone into as THE favourite... even at RG in '09, most would've had her as 3rd favourite at best behind Safina and Serena. And she hadn't established herself as a serious contender before the USO in '04. At the AO'09, she really exceeded expectations just by pushing Serena as hard as she did, and tbh most of the turnaround in that match was Serena, who was exceptionally half-arsed that tournament even by her standards, stepping it up when she realised Kuznetsova wasn't going away. In the whole 2006-08 period, she was always sort of there but not really treated as a serious contender because she went into pretty much every Slam in decent but unspectacular form. So... hard to argue there's many Slams which for hers for the taking that she missed out on, really. I guess for the last couple of years you could say she probably had the potential to be the best claycourter in the field, but it's not like she was ever anywhere near actually winning it in 2010 or 2011, either in terms of her play at the tournament itself or in the warm-ups.

There's no real argument that Kuznetsova underachieved as her record with Justine and Clijsters is pathetic.

In the bulk of her good form 2004-2007, it is just too unlikely that she would have been able to beat either or both to win a slam. Not to mention she struggles with locals at times.

Ivanovic just had her number in 2007-2008.
Safina had her number in 2008.

The list goes on. She doesn't play well frequently, and when she does it's usually not in slams.

justineheninfan
Dec 22nd, 2011, 02:37 AM
Exactly. If you are the Belgian's bitch as bad as Kunzetosva is, you did well to somehow win even 2 slams, even if you were fortunate to peak mostly in the Williams down period (as Kuznetsova did). She has losing and often poor head to heads with nearly all the top players in fact. What is the best player she has a winning record against, Demetnieva? Between her 2004 U.S Open and 2009 French Open titles she didnt beat a single top player in a slam (unless you generously consider Vaidsiova or Chakvetadze, her biggest wins in that interim). That is why I am baffled how anyone calls her an underachiever to have 2 slams. OK I can see if some have huge opinions of her talent and ability (I dont really see that as much as some, but this is personal). However what she actually produced in her career wasnt even worthy of 2 slams really.

bandabou
Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
Of course choking against Wozniacki certainly gotta hurt more than 'choking' against Serena. With Wozniacki the match is essentialy in your hand, ' cause Woz doesn't have a thing to hurt with you with.

With Serena, she can catch form in just one blink and then that's it. So the loss against Caro gotta be the worst.

Yarden
Dec 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I still have some hope! :D

evana
Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
against Wozniacki @ USO'09 and '11 for sure :smash:

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
against Wozniacki @ USO'09 and '11 for sure :smash:I dont think she choked in 2009. That was a well played 3rd set.
The biggest choke would mean what, closest to winning the match? That would be Myskina 2004.
Would it mean which bad loss cost her the most? That would probably be against Serena at the 2009 AO when Sveta served for the match and already Vera, Dinara and Elena were in the semis.
Almost 4 Russians in the semis and Sveta might have won that major.

dsanders06
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
I dont think she choked in 2009. That was a well played 3rd set.
The biggest choke would mean what, closest to winning the match? That would be Myskina 2004.
Would it mean which bad loss cost her the most? That would probably be against Serena at the 2009 AO when Sveta served for the match and already Vera, Dinara and Elena were in the semis.
Almost 4 Russians in the semis and Sveta might have won that major.

Doubt it. Dementieva would've probably beaten her in the semis - she was in red-hot form heading into that tournament, while Kuznetsova was actually in the midst of a run of poor play - her match against Serena was the first time in months she'd played well, so she probably would've reverted back to her then-norm of mediocre play the next match even if she'd scraped through.

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM

I think she will. She's on the five year plan, so she'll either win slam #3 in 2014 or she'll pull a Pierce and have a lot of good runs in '14. :angel:

Like Sharapova, I can't imagine her not winning at least 1 more. Like Maria's too good of a competitor to end her career with 3, Sveta's too talented and too complete a player to only win 2.

MechWarrior2k
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:54 AM
All I can say is DAMN! at some of Kuzzy's moments. I've always considered her more talented than Sharapova and the rest of the Russians. Steady serve, decent backhand, usually reliable with volleys and overheads (excluding that USO match with Wozniacki), very spinny and deadly forehand (for both herself and her foes), and has the game to do well on slow to fast hardcourts and on clay.

I honestly believe she's underachieved. I like Sveta. I feel the pain that emanates from her die-hard fans. One thing about her is that when she plays you never know what to expect.

The Witch-king
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
The Serena one at the AO was pretty bad, but that's more of less the roofs fault. Probably USO in 2009 cause she probably would have made the final if she had won that match :shrug:

how was that loss the roofs fault?

Ellen Dawson
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Easy. Kuzzy against Woz @ the USO. Both matches. :banghead:

goldenlox
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
how was that loss the roofs fault?Sveta won the 1st set outdoors, it was a hot day. They stopped the match for a half hour to close the roof, no rain. Then the court was faster and Serena didnt have to win the 2nd and 3rd sets in the heat in a match with no long rest period in the middle.
But Sveta got revenge in Paris.

MechWarrior2k
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
^^^ It was almost 135 F on court by the time the first set ended. That was for the safety of the players and the fans. Even then Kuzzy was up 5-3 in the 2nd set.

The Witch-king
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Sveta won the 1st set outdoors, it was a hot day. They stopped the match for a half hour to close the roof, no rain. Then the court was faster and Serena didnt have to win the 2nd and 3rd sets in the heat in a match with no long rest period in the middle.
But Sveta got revenge in Paris.

Um Kuznetsova also had a chance to win the 2nd and 3rd sets without the roof. Hell, she had a bigger chance to win that second than Serena.

Stonerpova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Um Kuznetsova also had a chance to win the 2nd and 3rd sets without the roof. Hell, she had a bigger chance to win that second than Serena.

Sveta did serve for the match, but in between the second and third sets there was a 20-ish minute interruption of play. When play resumed Serena suddenly played like a baller and the match was over in no time. Sveta still choked the match, but I'm sure the indoor/air-conditioned environment had something to do with Serena's lights-off display in the third.

Jane Lane
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM

For all we know Oudin would have continued her Russian slaying spree that tourney. *vomit*

Stonerpova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:42 PM
For all we know Oudin would have continued her Russian slaying spree that tourney. *vomit*

Oh my God she totally would have :hysteric:

The Witch-king
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Sveta did serve for the match, but in between the second and third sets there was a 20-ish minute interruption of play. When play resumed Serena suddenly played like a baller and the match was over in no time. Sveta still choked the match, but I'm sure the indoor/air-conditioned environment had something to do with Serena's lights-off display in the third.

No, the break was between the first and second sets and when they came back from the break Sveta obviously played better than Serena, enough to go up 5*-3. The roof had nothing to do with Sveta's loss.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Such a painful thread :sobbing:

Let's enjoy one time she didn't choke :drool:

YYF6eLG9sP0

Slampova
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Having matchpoints against eventual RG champions Myskina and Henin in 04 and 05 in the 4R :sobbing:

atominside
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Such a painful thread :sobbing:

Let's enjoy one time she didn't choke :drool:

YYF6eLG9sP0

such low energy from maria :sobbing:

Adrian.
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM
The match against Wozniacki at US Open 2011 :facepalm::help::facepalm:

Consigliere
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:16 PM
ive got a good feeling about sexy sveta in 2012

Ellen Dawson
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Having matchpoints against eventual RG champions Myskina and Henin in 04 and 05 in the 4R :sobbing:

Esp. the choke against Nastya! :(

laurie
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM
A match Sveta won but I remember the 2007 US Open semifinal against Anna Chakvetadze, one of the worst matches I've ever seen in 20 years. It was almost as if neither player wanted to win knowing they would have to face Venus or Henin in the final (it was the first match on the programme). Seeing what happened to Sveta in the final maybe it was understandable.

By the way, I've said this before, I watched the match live on Super Tennis between Sveta and Kvitova in the Fed cup. Sveta was outplayed after being 3:0 in the 3rd set, she didn't really make any mistakes, it's rare to see an opponent raise their level to an extent that they become unplayable.

doomsday
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
A match Sveta won but I remember the 2007 US Open semifinal against Anna Chakvetadze, one of the worst matches I've ever seen in 20 years. It was almost as if neither player wanted to win knowing they would have to face Venus or Henin in the final (it was the first match on the programme). Seeing what happened to Sveta in the final maybe it was understandable.

By the way, I've said this before, I watched the match live on Super Tennis between Sveta and Kvitova in the Fed cup. Sveta was outplayed after being 3:0 in the 3rd set, she didn't really make any mistakes, it's rare to see an opponent raise their level to an extent that they become unplayable.

There is always a lil bit of both in those situations, Kvitova played well when she was down 3-0 but at the same time Kuz choked too. When you lead 3-0 you are supposed to close it out and certainly not win 0 games after such a huge lead.

Setsuna.
Dec 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Lol no. Sveta's serve and ROS was sh!t.

laurie
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:41 AM
It's easy to look at the score and assume a player choked but look at this sequence, Sveta was outplayed, no choking on this occasion.

E3Q6i5d0XzY

YCopawbdrvU

The Dawntreader
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Kuznetsova rarely chokes against players below her. She's made a sub-career of bullshitting through the most awful of matches. USO 2007 SF being the key example.

Kuznetsova tends to get outplayed by better players eventually. I don't know how fair the choking tag is.

Smitten
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Lol no. Sveta's serve and ROS was sh!t.

Kuznetsova's BH ROS in the AD court has lost her a lot of matches. The only person I know who exploited it was Justine.

vozas
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Kuznetsova's BH ROS in the AD court has lost her a lot of matches. The only person I know who exploited it was Justine.

Legend would've humiliated that limp dick BH too.

Setsuna.
Dec 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah, Petra outplayed Sveta in the 3rd set but that wasn't peak Sveta like some posters think. Sveta played good most of the time in that match but not great. Peak Sveta actually had a good serve and a decent ROS. She will never reach her peak form again with that shitty serve & ROS. Even her ground game is not as good as before.