PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Slam: Will it ever be achieved again?

rimon
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ith3DO4TcD8

ExtremespeedX
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah, by Laura Robson in 2018.

mauresmofan
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:04 AM
Kvitova can do it. She'll just need to adapt her game slightly to the windy US Open conditions every other tournament she can win for sure especially given the Aussi Open is sometimes played indoors due to the heat which would give her a big advantage

Helen Lawson
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:13 AM
Of course. Don't forget, I was born in 1917, I have seen them all.

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:28 AM
I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone predicted Kvitova would do it

Craig.
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:37 AM
I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone predicted Kvitova would do it

This :facepalm:

mauresmofan
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:50 AM

The 2 most tricky surfaces for most people to complete the Slam are grass and clay and Kvitova can play her game on both of those surfaces extremely well so what's left are the 2 hardcourt Slams one of which can be played indoors quite a bit and we know how well Kvitova can play indoors so all that's left is to master the tricky windy conditions of New York, I think the other 3 Slams are very achieveable for her in a year. I'm not saying she'll do it in 2012 or anything but she certainly has the capabilities and mentality to do it especially against her own generation.

pradagirl
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:53 AM
No one has been consistent enough now days. But it is always possible.

Galang
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:59 AM
Maria Sharapova 2012 Golden Slam

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:17 AM
The 2 most tricky surfaces for most people to complete the Slam are grass and clay and Kvitova can play her game on both of those surfaces extremely well so what's left are the 2 hardcourt Slams one of which can be played indoors quite a bit and we know how well Kvitova can play indoors so all that's left is to master the tricky windy conditions of New York, I think the other 3 Slams are very achieveable for her in a year. I'm not saying she'll do it in 2012 or anything but she certainly has the capabilities and mentality to do it especially against her own generation.

It's not that much about the surface adaptabilty, but instead about being able to win 4 GS consecutively... which is FOR NOW something impossible for Kvitova since she's really inconsistent.

If she were to win the Grand Slam, she'd have to remain in-form throughout all year. I'm not saying she'll never achieve it, but right now I can't see her keeping that level in all the Slams, especially if she had to run into Serena or Kim in more than one Slam.

casholic
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:31 AM
With the field in its current state Serena could do it. Maybe Kvitova. I really doubt it'll be done again within the next 20 years

Barktra
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:59 AM
The only possible way is King and Shvedova winning every GS in womens doubles ;)

goat
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:41 AM
yeah of course.

goat
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
It's not that much about the surface adaptabilty, but instead about being able to win 4 GS consecutively... which is FOR NOW something impossible for Kvitova since she's really inconsistent.

If she were to win the Grand Slam, she'd have to remain in-form throughout all year. I'm not saying she'll never achieve it, but right now I can't see her keeping that level in all the Slams, especially if she had to run into Serena or Kim in more than one Slam.

This shows how Serena is an amazing athlete due to her tapering, conditioning and peaking at appropriate times. Her team is amazing at knowing how her body performs to training and when to play and not play. Not only is it her athleticism however but her scheduling allows for her to be peaking at appropriate times.

Linguae^
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM

Now close the thread.

By the way, only Serena is of that kind.

Johnbert
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM

absolutely fucking THIS! :hatoff:

killerqueen
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Realistically I don't think anyone on the tour is highly likely to do it in a single year, but I think a few have the potential to win all four in their careers.

I guess it's really hard to say though. Even though people will scoff, I think Kvitova is genuinely the only player at the moment who I could even remotely see doing it..