PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Win of these Four Hopman Cup Champions?

bobito
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Who was the best pairing to have won the Hopman Cup? Some big names here but not all of them at their peak. Federer was 19 years old and raked 29 at the time (but he was still pretty darned good).

For those not familiar with the format, the Hopman Cup is best of 3 matches, men's singles, women's singles and mixed doubles.

VeeJJ
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM
fed and hingis... duh

Sammo
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
fed and hingis... duh

this

Smitten
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Legend.

bobito
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:42 PM
fed and hingis... duh

Really? I'm a big Federer fan but I'm not so sure that the 2001 version, who had yet to win an ATP title, would have beaten 1993 Stich, who had won Wimbledon 18 months previously. :shrug:

Vespertine69
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Obviously all good teams, but I think if you mean each team as they were at the time/age they won... then for me it would be Graf and Stich... it is really tempting to say Fed and Martina, but I think Fed wasn't quite at the required level in 2001.

Linguae^
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
What a thread, I fainted.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Fed was still not mature enough in 2001.

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM
federe beat Sampras on CC Wimbledon in 2001. He was poised for a breakthrough, and a really good doubles player. Hingis is a much better doubles player than Graf, and she would have had a shot in singles as well.

pradagirl
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
Gotta go with Serena and James. I don't think any of the women could really handle James and it would be very hard for them to hold serve against him and Serena together. I do however feel that Serena could handle more pace than the other women and that is why I chose them instead of Michael & Steffi.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:07 AM
Cool thread :D

I'd actually give the edge to Federer-Hingis because of the quality of the field in their win.

They had to beat the teams of Coetzer, Ferreira, Tanasugarn, Srichaphan, and Seles & Gambill in the final.

Close 2º place would go to Serena and Blake, who beat the teams of Clijsters, Malisse, Robredo, and Molik & Hewitt in the final.

3º place for Steffi and Stich, who beat the teams of Tauziat, Forget and ASV in the final.

Last place would go for Becker and Huber, whose toughest opponents en route to the title were Halard and Medvedev.

Bluish
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
Gotta go with Serena and James. I don't think any of the women could really handle James and it would be very hard for them to hold serve against him and Serena together. I do however feel that Serena could handle more pace than the other women and that is why I chose them instead of Michael & Steffi.

:spit: Blake is the worst player in the poll by far, even worse than Huber :rolls:

Hingis/Federer