PDA

View Full Version : 2012 battle of peaks (peak thread again)

TheHangover
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Imagine that for some unknown reason in 2012 all these players reach their peak again: Ivanovic, Serena, Clijsters, Venus, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Stosur, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Schiavone, Zvonareva, Li. PLUS Kvitova, Azarenka and Radwanska reach their peak for the first time (i know that is not easy to try to guess a player peak), but how do u think the top 10 would look like at the end of 2012?

GAGAlady
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Serena venus ans kim are already past there "peaks" but still play well enough kuznetsova also past hers... Petrova is not really a top player anymore... Why is she even on this ? Your favorite pehaps? Kvitova will do well followed by Serena Sharapova Caroline and Kim and hopefully Jankovic Will up her game too... Will see...

TheHangover
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Serena venus ans kim are already past there "peaks" but still play well enough kuznetsova also past hers... Petrova is not really a top player anymore... Why is she even on this ? Your favorite pehaps? Kvitova will do well followed by Serena Sharapova Caroline and Kim and hopefully Jankovic Will up her game too... Will see...

no, you have to take the peaks of each player (when it was) and IMAGINE that they will have that peak again in 2012, it's not a real thing

Yoncé
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Something like this, I guess, maybe :shrug:

Serena
Venus
Petrova
Sveta
Kim
Kvitova
Sharapova
Stosur
Ivanovic
Azarenka
Li
Jankovic
Wozniacki
Zvonareva
Aga
Schiavone

Aryman3
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:03 AM
Really peak Aga will be big surprise for "experts" of Renasaurus type

AcesHigh
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:44 AM
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Kim
4. Sharapova
5. Kuznetsova
6. Kvitova
7. Ivanovic
8. Jankovic
9. Zvonareva
10. Li

Big_Banana
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
1 Sharapova
2 Kvitova
3 Serena
4 Stosur
5 Na
6 Vika
7 Caro
8 Bepa
9 Aga
10 Kim

danieln1
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Peak Pierce would obviously be number 1

danieln1
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Imagine that for some unknown reason in 2012 all these players reach their peak again: Ivanovic, Serena, Clijsters, Venus, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Stosur, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Schiavone, Zvonareva, Li. PLUS Kvitova, Azarenka and Radwanska reach their peak for the first time (i know that is not easy to try to guess a player peak), but how do u think the top 10 would look like at the end of 2012?

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Ivanovic
4. Kvitova
5. Li
6. Sharapova
7. Petrova
8. Kuznetsova
9. Stosur
10. Caro

Miracle Worker
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Serena
Kim
Venus
Jelena Jankovic
Sveta
Nadia
Petra
Maria

In any random order.

killerqueen
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Peak Serena beats anyone else at their peak anyway, and I'm not even crazy on her.. Players like Serena and Kim are long past their genuine peaks, but are still good enough to beat most opponents with relative ease. They don't need to be at their peak to win big tournaments.

DefyingGravity
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
At their peaks relative to age and how far removed they are from their true peaks:

1. S. Williams
2. P. Kvitova
3. K. Clijsters
4. M. Sharapova
5. C. Wozniacki
6. A. Ivanovic
7. S. Kuznetsova
8. N. Li
9. S. Stosur
10. J. Jankovic
11. V. Zvonareva
12. A. Radwanska
13. V. Azarenka
14. V. Williams
15. F. Schiavone
16. N. Petrova

Simply put: Clijsters has the most power out of the retrieving types, which would make her, against all of the aggressive player's peaks, much more effective than Wozniacki, Zvonareva, and Jankovic. Serena has more fire power, including mental fire power, to not be #1 still, after all these years away from Serena-Slam. Kvitova at her peak is better than all the younger players, and Ana's peak at this point would get her pretty respectable showings, but a slam would come very difficult.

Victoria, as much as she has played well, will give most of these women trouble but I feel that if all those ahead of her are playing at their peak, they would beat her consistently. Especially Serena, Kim, Kvitova, Sharapova, and Wozniacki, Zvonareva, and Jankovic would run her into a lot of unforced errors. The only one out of the people ahead of her that I think would not have any success would be Ana, as she plays the backhand wing so well, she would never let Ana set up for her forehand. Stosur would be, to a lesser degree, effected by the same thing, but since her shot has so much heft, and her kick serve to Victoria's forehand might actually be problematic on 3/4 Grand Slam surfaces.

Venus playing her best this far away from her peak would be really dangerous on the faster surfaces, but even worse than we think on the slower surfaces now. Venus at #2 in 2010 "only" reached the 4th round at Roland Garros, when in 2000 she reached at least the quarterfinals and in 2002 reached the final in what would be her peak years. Hell, even in 2004 she played better on clay.

I don't think Li's peak will do much to trouble the other women when they're playing at their best. Serena, Kvitova, Ana, Sharapova, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, and Kim would all be able to either out hit her (Ana would have the most trouble, but I think she could if we were to use 2007 as her peak power) or be much too consistent, or both. Everyone below her (except Stosur and Radwanska) would lose to her.