PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells to offer $1 million to winner

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Also $500,000 to finalist, $200,000 to semifinalists. This year was $700,000, $350,000 to finalist. Significant increases, except they should have done more in early rounds. 1st round goes from $7,050 to $7,709

Just three years ago, for the 2009 tournament, the BNP Paribas Open (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Indian-Wells.aspx) granted equal prize money to both men and women while increasing the total prize money purse by more than $3 Million. In less than five years the tournament has nearly doubled the total prize money offered to players (2008 - $5.835 Million, 2012 – $11.073 Million). Click here to view the prize money breakdown (http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/C59C7C95D90F4E7EA9678C4BA5AC92DE.ashx).

JustPetko
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Another reason for Dani to win it :hearts:

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
> Miami?

That's such a ridiculius increase for 1 player.

Sammo
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Where do they get all the money from? :hysteric:

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Also $500,000 to finalist, $200,000 to semifinalists. This year was $700,000, $350,000 to finalist. Significant increases, except they should have done more in early rounds. 1st round goes from $7,050 to $7,709

Just three years ago, for the 2009 tournament, the BNP Paribas Open (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Indian-Wells.aspx) granted equal prize money to both men and women while increasing the total prize money purse by more than $3 Million. In less than five years the tournament has nearly doubled the total prize money offered to players (2008 - $5.835 Million, 2012 – $11.073 Million). Click here to view the prize money breakdown (http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/C59C7C95D90F4E7EA9678C4BA5AC92DE.ashx).

It must be greater than Wimbledon now :speakles: :bowdown:

Jorn
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Take it again Caro!! ;)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07CF9bcfyP0W0/x610.jpg

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Where do they get all the money from? :hysteric:The current owner of IW, Larry Ellison, is one of the richest men in the world.
But China can certainly match it, or go past that. So can Tiriac.
I dont know if Miami will match it.

tejmeglekvár
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Where do they get all the money from? :hysteric:

Larry Ellison ring a bell? :lol:

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Though Larry Ellison is worth $30billion or so (or what ever he and his Oracle stock are worth now), I'm sure he's a smart and cheap enough man to let the sponsor's kick in the extra dough!

Good for everybody though!

Londoner
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Take it again Caro!! ;)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07CF9bcfyP0W0/x610.jpg

More money for more old rope;)

Sammo
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Larry Ellison ring a bell? :lol:

Oh, I totally forgot about hin :lol: The guy that bought the tournament to get free entrances and who overflies California with a MiG-29 :hysteric:

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:40 PM
PS: If I'm remember correctly, Madrid payed almost a million dollars this year for the winner, as well.

I think it was something like $960,000.

Holdsworth
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
PS: If I'm remember correctly, Madrid payed almost a million dollars this year for the winner, as well.

I think it was something like $960,000.
Not quite.. 868,389 $

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Not quite.. 868,389 $

Oh. OK.

Sure that wasn't Euro's? :) :lol: :)

Thanks.

FORZA SARITA
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
i just saw the title and it was clear that Woz accountant opened it :lol:

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM
i just saw the title and it was clear that Woz accountant opened it :lol:

Don't worry.

She's probably not winning IW anyway. :lol: :devil: :lol:

Barktra
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Maybe one of the reasons for this is to try and get Serena and Venus to play their again :shrug:

What about doubles? I am assuming they are rasing the prize money on that to?

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Money is up in doubles also, but the only huge jumps are the last 2 singles players.

Doubles QF is $27,000 up from $22,000, SF $55,000 up from $52,000

In singles QF pays $100,000 up from $64,700. Thats a good bump.
But the early rounds barely change, round 2 is $12,750 from $11,500

VeeJJ
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Wow. To think. This was the prize money for winning a slam like 5-6 years ago :lol:

edificio
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Next IW final: Kerber vs Watson

backhandsmash
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
WOW! I don't know if this is a good thing. I'd rather have the MM's pay a lot more instead of this.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Money + the OP = Never In Doubt :worship:

jrm
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
They are desperate to attract all top10 players, aren't they?

KarlyM*
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Also $500,000 to finalist, $200,000 to semifinalists. This year was $700,000, $350,000 to finalist. Significant increases, except they should have done more in early rounds. 1st round goes from $7,050 to $7,709 Wow, that extra $659 for the journeywomen will go real far....... :rolleyes:

it-girl
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Maybe one of the reasons for this is to try and get Serena and Venus to play their again :shrug:

What about doubles? I am assuming they are rasing the prize money on that to?That's what I was thinking. They are trying to attract someone besides the viewers.

Fighterpova
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Martha, go grab it gurl :rocker2:

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Wow, that extra $659 for the journeywomen will go real far....... :rolleyes:
This is one of the bigger problems in the sport. The journeyman are underpaid, and there's no union. They have no power. People like Larry Ellison treat them like garbage. The WTA doesnt do enough for journeymen.
Happens at every tournament. Rank & file get crumbs.

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM
goldenloxThis is one of the bigger problems in the sport. The journeyman are underpaid, and there's no union. They have no power. [B]People like Larry Ellison treat them like garbage. The WTA doesnt do enough for journeymen.
Happens at every tournament. Rank & file get crumbs.

Not that I'm President of the Larry Ellison fan Club, but unless I'm mistaken, you are unnecessarily blaming him for something he probably has nothing to do with.

I'm almost sure it's the WTA (and maybe some of it's player representatives) that decides how to divy up the $poils and not the tour organizers, promoters or sponsors.

Just saying. :confused: :( :confused:

Wiggly
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:55 PM
That's why the ATP will never have an union.
A top player who get an 300K pay increase can't be in the same boat as the guy who gets a 700$.

Any news on the mixed doubles thing?

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
That's why the ATP will never have an union.
A top player who get an 300K pay increase can't be in the same boat as the guy who gets a 700$.

...Thats exactly why rank & file need unions, because they are easily replaceable with no individual power.

I'm still waiting for any of these mandatories to pay real money for early rounds, so I found this bump at the top disappointing. This is really advertising because they can announce they are giving a record 1 million to the winners. It gives them media attention.
But rank & file get a few hundred more, which is crumbs at a mandatory

cowsonice
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:12 AM
They are desperate to attract all top10 players, aren't they?

IW is a Premier Mandatory already, no need. :shrug:

dsanders06
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Thats exactly why rank & file need unions, because they are easily replaceable with no individual power.

I'm still waiting for any of these mandatories to pay real money for early rounds, so I found this bump at the top disappointing. This is really advertising because they can announce they are giving a record 1 million to the winners. It gives them media attention.
But rank & file get a few hundred more, which is crumbs at a mandatory

I actually agree with this, but don't you think that people like you yourself, who regularly glorify the obscene sums that the top stars earn, actually play a part in the rank-and-file not getting enough money (because the drive for ever-increasing salaries for the stars means all funds are diverted there rather than to players lower down the table)? :shrug:

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:27 AM
Its important that star women athletes in popular sports make money. Because the male stars do, in popular sports.

Rank & file is different and they're underpaid in womens tennis. The money is obviously there, but its not distributed well.
The players who get the winners check also get endorsement deals and appearance fees.

Even now 1 million for winning, 900,000 more than QF gets. 992,300more than 7,700 round 1 gets
Its unfair.

Excelscior
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:56 AM
They pay the higher prizes to the winners/top finishers (and in large practice to the top players), cause that's who the people are coming to see.

Yes. The top player already make a lot of money, and would show up at a Premier Mandatory in the first place. That's true. But greed is greed.

The top players want more money, always. And they would argue, that "anyone can win one of these titles". They would also add "The trophy doesn't have a top 15 players name etched on it before hand". Meaning "If you want it; come get it!".

Yes! It's obvious the tournaments are courting and catering to star power.

pradagirl
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:58 AM
I hope Ana wins.

sammy01
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:03 AM
I actually agree with this, but don't you think that people like you yourself, who regularly glorify the obscene sums that the top stars earn, actually play a part in the rank-and-file not getting enough money (because the drive for ever-increasing salaries for the stars means all funds are diverted there rather than to players lower down the table)? :shrug:

exactly, having goldenbot bang on constantly about how much caro earns is one of the reasons these tournaments stump up huge paychecks for the winners, to get that press and attention.

Excelscior
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:06 AM

Excellent point (though we knew he/she was always compensating). :) :devil: :)

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
Its totally different, discussing Caroline & the rank & file.

Just because Wozniacki is very marketable doesnt mean the mid ranked players should be playing for small amounts, especially when the money is there. Its just overloaded at the end of the tournament.

And these Int'ls are embarrassing. No WTA tournment should be paying out so little in the early rounds
They have to level it off a little, so the winner doesnt make over 100X what the 1st round earns.

duhcity
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
Its totally different, discussing Caroline & the rank & file.

Just because Wozniacki is very marketable doesnt mean the mid ranked players should be playing for small amounts, especially when the money is there. Its just overloaded at the end of the tournament.

And these Int'ls are embarrassing. No WTA tournment should be paying out so little in the early rounds
They have to level it off a little, so the winner doesnt make over 100X what the 1st round earns.

None of that is Larry Ellison's fault, no idea why you brought him into it at all.

Larry Ellison's responsibility is to Indian Wells, and he's done a hell of a job. Hawkeye on every court, the dramatic improvement in facilities every year, player and fan quality etc.

And frankly, the WTA is not the problem here. If you're a top 60/70 WTA player and can maintain that, you are making a perfectly fine living. Not rich or wealthy, but there's no obligation on the tour to make you well off. It's the ITF that has to deal with players who need the financial help.

Remix13
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM
The guy that bought the tournament to get free entrances and who overflies California with a MiG-29 :hysteric:

It's great to be a billionar, free entrance for tennis tournament (anyway for a billionar anything is nearly free) and flying over California in a jetfighter ! I'd prefer a Su-27 though :hearts: