PDA

View Full Version : TTC Court Report: Women's Stock Report + 2012 Predictions by Davenport & Gimelstob

Break My Rapture
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this concept of The Tennis Channel so a short summary. Davenport and Gimelstob can each pick up to 2 players of which they want to BUY stocks (= these players will do better next year), stocks they are keeping (=these players will have similar year) and SELL stocks they had bought the years before(=players who will do worse next year).

Davenport buys Clijsters and Serena, sells Li and Wozniacki. She keeps Azarenka.
Gimelstob buys Azarenka and Lisicki, sells Li. Keeps Stosur.

For 2012 predictions, Davenport says Kvitova will become #1 before having to defend her Wimbledon title and will win another slam. (Gimelstob only predicted for the men)

As far as credibility of Davenport's stock report goes...last year: Davenport bought Sharapova's stock because she has nowhere to go but up and sold Schiavone because she wouldn't defend her FO title. Both decisions turned out to be valid.

Thoughts on these predictions?

Linguae^
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Just a dumb thing made for jinxing.

coolfish1103
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Should do a buy and sell game with players.

Break My Rapture
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Just a dumb thing made for jinxing.
No, I'm just sharing the POV from someone who knows something about tennis like Davenport. And Justin Gimelstob.

Pops Maellard
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Davenport is a Woz hater :oh:.

coolfish1103
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I wonder if this game sounds any fun?

Tennis Stocks

During WTA season, prior to the beginning of each week's tournaments, players are allowed to place their $ on player stocks based on the player's ranking points. Players would be allowed to sell or purchase the stocks before the qualifying tournaments begin based on the points the players are at during the week of purchase.

We will use New Zealand Thursday 23:59 as the deadline for purchasing stocks. For week 1 tournaments (Auckland and Brisbane), stock purchases will begin Dec. 26 at 00:01 and end on Dec. 29 at 23:59 New Zealand Time.

Since this is a new tournament, each new player will be allocated with $16. Each stock purchase or sold will create a transaction fee of 10% or $1, rounds to the nearest dollar, whichever is greater. Each player may only perform transaction once (purchase or sell) by posting on the board. When players run out of $ and hold no stock at the end of the season, players will be replenished up to $16 (Maximum 16 tournaments points count for WTA Tour) at the end of the season.

Players may not donate their $ to others.

For week of Jan. 2,

Selling/Purchasing Period: 12/26 00:01 - 12/29 23:59
Selling/Purchasing $ based on: Ranking points of 12/26

For week of Jan. 9,

Selling/Purchasing Period: 01/02 00:01 - 01/05 23:59
Selling/Purchasing $ based on: Ranking points of 01/02

--

Rankings will be based on player's current cash, stock, and cash + stock (it will be based on the official WTA ranking post) on a weekly basis. Players buy-able will be listed each week based on the amount of cash the highest person hold. Players with 0 points are not buy-able.

--

During the weeks of Grand Slams (week 1), players would be allowed to raffle on who will win the tournament. Players who raffle will not be allowed to perform any stock options.

Player chosen...

Grand Slams (week 1)

Lost in R128 = Amount raffled x 0
Lost in R64 = Amount raffled x 1
Lost in R32 = Amount raffled x 2
Lost in R16 = Amount raffled x 4
Lost in QF = Amount raffled x 8
Lost in SF = Amount raffled x 16
Lost in F = Amount raffled x 32
Winning Tour = Amount raffled x 64

During the week of WTA Tour Championship, Top 8 (or 16) players would be allowed to raffle on who will win the tournament. Players who raffle will not be allowed to perform any stock options.

WTA Tour Championship

Lost in RR = Amount raffled x 0
Lost in SF = Amount raffled x 1
Lost in F = Amount raffled x 2
Winning = Amount raffled x 4

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'd buy Serena, Kvitova and Pavlyuchenkova, sell Li ( :sobbing: ), Wozniacki and Schiavone, keep Azarenka and Maria :angel:

ZODIAC
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
just a whole load of nonsense...Gimelstob really

Sylvester
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM

I guess it has more to do with her remember destroying Wozniacki 6-0 6-2 when she was already semi-retired!

:lol:

AcesHigh
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'd sell Maria, Li and Stosur.

Buy Serena, Petkovic and Kvitova

Keep Azarenka

Apoleb
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Davenport's are definitely the reasonable ones.

Davenport is a Woz hater .

I remember she was commentating one Wozniacki match, and the latter threw in a weak ass serve on set point or something, and she was just all incensed. Gasping on air, with "I can't believe she did that". :happy:

Davy is an awesome commentator/analyst. She should do some coaching imo.

miffedmax
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Davs is pretty sharp, no doubt about it.

Let's see. I'd buy Larsson and Cibulkova.

I'd hold Vika and Kvitova.

I'd dump Caro and Li.

I'd rub Lena's bangs for luck.

And because I'm a perv.

Nicolás89
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this concept of The Tennis Channel so a short summary. Davenport and Gimelstob can each pick up to 2 players of which they want to BUY stocks (= these players will do better next year), stocks they are keeping (=these players will have similar year) and SELL stocks they had bought the years before(=players who will do worse next year).

Davenport buys Clijsters and Serena, sells Li and Wozniacki. She keeps Azarenka.
Gimelstob buys Azarenka and Lisicki, sells Li. Keeps Stosur.

For 2012 predictions, Davenport says Kvitova will become #1 before having to defend her Wimbledon title and will win another slam. (Gimelstob only predicted for the men)

As far as credibility of Davenport's stock report goes...last year: Davenport bought Sharapova's stock because she has nowhere to go but up and sold Schiavone because she wouldn't defend her FO title. Both decisions turned out to be valid.

Thoughts on these predictions?

Davenport should be a fortune teller, I can't think on anyone making those predictions last year... :facepalm:

Break My Rapture
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM

I remember she was commentating one Wozniacki match, and the latter threw in a weak ass serve on set point or something, and she was just all incensed. Gasping on air, with "I can't believe she did that". :happy:

:sobbing: LOL. Her laugh is hysterical too.

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:55 PM

:lol: I think I remember that. Wasn't it her match against Wozniak at RG? She went in hard on Wozniacki in that match... said something like "I can't believe we're witnessing the world #170 outplay the world #1" :sobbing:

Pump-it-UP
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I think that was Karolina's IW match against Hantuchova. I died! :lol:

Gdsimmons
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I really do like Davenport as a commentator. Whenever there is a live match on TC, I always hope she's commentating it. Her insight as a previous player is really good. Now that Justin Gimelsto...thats an entirely different story.

The only 2 players that I'd buy would be Clijsters and Serena.
I'd hold Kvitova, Azarenka Radwanksa and Sharapova
I'd sell Li, Stosur and Wozniacki

Patrick345
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Azarenka buy

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Mb99ZOgp3IE/SrN9H4kBXXI/AAAAAAAAB-4/ftlsqCV0yOQ/24-09%20Snickers%20Muffins%20-%20Snickers.jpg

Wozniacki sell

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Rory+McIlroy+Sheikh+Majid+bin+Mohammed+bin+0mlVm9c LObyl.jpg

Kvitova buy

http://topnews.in/health/files/babies_2.jpg

Lisicki sell

http://baseballfordinner.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/chinese_food.jpg

Sharapova buy

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/75090/300.jpg

Serena sell

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/01/28/health/MEDITATE/MEDITATE-blog480.jpg

Holdsworth
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:18 PM
She is just a realist

doomsday
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I'd sell Maria, Li and Stosur.

Buy Serena, Petkovic and Kvitova

Keep Azarenka

So predictable :rolls:

ZODIAC
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Sell pova,Woz and Stosur
hold Na li Kim
buy Serena and Kvitova

miffedmax
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I dunno. If this is really like the stock market, even if Petra has a better year, she can't add that much to her value--I can see her at best going from #2 to #1 and winning two slams. So there's not much return on your "investment" since her stock is already pretty high. To me she's more of a hold. I think she's going to have a good year, but it's hard to move up when you're already at the top.

Now, when Larsson wins her first couple of WTA titles and moves into the Top 20 for the first time, I would be counting some serious return on my investment.

Of course, no stock could ever compete with the pure gold of Lena's bangs for value.

Smitten
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Why would anyone buy Petkovic? She has no upside for 2012 already being top 10 in 2011. Her ugly game is maxed out.

Realistically, Borz isn't going to flop all season. She'll only flop in certain parts as usual.

I'd have: Borz, Serena, Kvitova, and a risky pick like Zvonareva.
Sell: Li, Stosur

I wouldn't buy Clijsters. I don't think she'll win the AO. I know she won't win RG and Wimbledon and the Olympics is also on grass.

Vincey!
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Well Davenport only picked same picks, Obviously Kim and Serena (if they play more than 5 tourneys) well be higher. Also Li and Wozniacki are bornt to lose many spots, specially Li with her Sydney win, AO final and FO title. Then Keeping Azarenka is obvious too since I'm sure Azarenka will always have the same results years after years abit like Dementieva had. SO I don't think it means anything, she didn't take any risk. It would be like saying winter will be cold, summer warm and spring will be in between. lol

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I dunno. If this is really like the stock market, even if Petra has a better year, she can't add that much to her value--I can see her at best going from #2 to #1 and winning two slams. So there's not much return on your "investment" since her stock is already pretty high. To me she's more of a hold. I think she's going to have a good year, but it's hard to move up when you're already at the top.

I think she still has a lot of room for improvement :shrug: I don't really interpret it as valuing improvements/drops in rankings, I thought it was more about results. If Petra were to have a record at the Slams next year of say W-W-SF-SF, won the YEC again, won 2-3 Tier 1 titles (all feasible, imo), that would be a pretty huge improvement on this year and generate a pretty hefty yield, it would be effectively doubling her current results. Don't forget that Petra's season this year while good is hardly spectacular compared to most Player of the Years, it was only good enough to be the best by the WTA's current standards of erraticness and inconsistency.

I do get your general point though - if this was a real stock exchange, Pavlyuchenkova is who I'd be buying BIG in.

Why would anyone buy Petkovic? She has no upside for 2012 already being top 10 in 2011. Her ugly game is maxed out.

This :lol: She's clearly pretty much hit her ceiling, when you consider Radwanska is yet to make a Slam semifinal and Petkovic has even less potential than her.... she's on course for a similar or imo probably a slightly worse season in 2012.

Helen Lawson
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:53 PM
It sounds like fun, but I think any casual fan could make the same predictions she did. They should have to pick from a pool, like hard ones like what will Venus do, Petkovic and Kvitova, those are a lot tougher. Anyone would dump Li and the Woz and pick Serena.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I always loved Davenport commentating because she was never afraid to call out players on gamesmanship attempts during matches, even high ranking ones.

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM
OK, I'm just going to go ahead and do the whole top 20 :lol:

01 Wozniacki: SELL

02 Kvitova: BUY

03 Azarenka: HOLD

04 Sharapova: HOLD

05 Li: MASS SELL

06 Stosur: BUY

07 Zvonareva: HOLD

08: Radwanska: HOLD

09 Bartoli: SELL

10 Petkovic: HOLD

11 Schiavone: SELL

12 Serena: BUY

13 Clijsters: HOLD

14 Jankovic: SELL

15 Lisicki: BUY

16 Pavlyuchenkova: MASS BUY

17 Peng: SELL

18 Cibulkova: HOLD

19 Kuznetsova: HOLD

20 Pennetta: BUY

22 Ivanovic: BUY

Kipling
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
... I'm just sharing the POV from someone who knows something about tennis .... And Justin Gimelstob.

LOL.

bobito
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
I can see the price of Clijsters shares plummeting after the Olympics causing a crisis on the Belgian markets. A spokesperson from the Sixth Sense Business Academy will predict renewed growth in the long term and urge investors not to panic.

AcesHigh
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:52 AM
So predictable :rolls:

Do I see Maria winning 2 P5 tournaments again? Do I see her getting a draw like she did at Wimbledon? No. What's predictable is your response :shrug:
If Maria had a shit year in 2011, I'd definitely buy, but her year this year was uncharacteristically better than anything since AO 2008 despite her form not being drastically any better