PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Morning Herald: Woz, Kvitova fined $100,000, Li $75,000 for playing Hopman Cup

Slammer7
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:12 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/mcnamee-sure-of-cup-position-despite-role-review-20111219-1p2cd.html

McNamee sure of cup position despite role review
Linda Pearce
December 20, 2011

Everything's copacetic ... Paul McNamee is looking forward to 2012.

Everything's copacetic ... Paul McNamee is looking forward to 2012. Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

CO-FOUNDER Paul McNamee's role as Hopman Cup tournament director is under review, at a time when the annual mixed teams invitational has attracted unprecedented WTA player fines of $375,000 in its final year at Perth's Burswood Dome.

The International Tennis Federation has confirmed the event's management structure is being looked at for 2013. Paul McNamee Enterprises handed ownership rights to the federation in 2002, with the former Australian Open chief executive continuing as tournament director and reporting to a newly formed federation board.

''Paul is the tournament director for 2012,'' a federation spokesperson said. ''With the move to the new arena in 2013, and the new opportunities and challenges which this presents for the tournament, both the ITF and Hopman Cup boards have felt for some time that this would be an opportune moment to review the management structure.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

McNamee yesterday dismissed speculation his contract would not be renewed after the 24th Hopman Cup, saying he was intimately involved in the move to the new Perth Arena in 2013 and the changes that would result. The cup's board will discuss the issue in Melbourne next month, before the next federation board meeting in late March.

''Everything's fine - I'm really looking forward to next year,'' McNamee said. McNamee hatched the idea for an international mixed teams event over a beer with fellow players Charlie Fancutt and Pat Cash in 1984 and has been its frontman and driving force since. ''Who would be doing it if it's not me, to be honest?'' he added. ''For me, it's full-steam ahead.''

The fines, meanwhile, come as a result of upgrading the Brisbane International, also held in the opening week of the season, to WTA Premier status. With the jump in prizemoney from $220,000 to $650,000 comes unlimited access to the women's top 10 - and an impressive field that includes Sam Stosur, Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters - but also a determination from the WTA that players support official tour events.

As a result, waivers that have been granted in the past for players to compete in exhibition or non-WTA events have been denied this time, and automatic penalties under the code of conduct were issued on a sliding scale for seven of the eight women due to compete at the Hopman Cup.

For example, world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki and No. 2 Petra Kvitova face $100,000 fines based on their top-three status, and French Open champion Li Na $75,000 as the world No. 5. Australian Jarmila Gajdosova, world No. 33, attracts a $15,000 penalty for her position between 21 and 50. Players with sub-50 rankings are exempt. It is believed the fines will be paid by the federation.

''Players and tournaments understand the situation,'' the WTA's Asia Pacific managing director, Peter Johnston, said. ''We obviously have a relationship with the ITF and we understand the issues related to Hopman Cup, so we're working under an agreement that recognises all that but still adheres to our rules.''

The federation confirmed ''there is an agreement in place between the ITF and WTA with regard to player participation in the Hopman Cup, which is in full compliance with the WTA rules in relation to non-Tour events''.

Next year's Hopman Cup features four of the world's top 11 women, plus men's top-10 players Mardy Fish and Tomas Berdych.

Australia will be represented by Gajdosova and dual grand-slam champion Lleyton Hewitt. The final is on January 7.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/mcnamee-sure-of-cup-position-despite-role-review-20111219-1p2cd.html#ixzz1h3GpzXNn

Tennis Channel also has it on it's news ticker.

GeeTee
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:25 AM
This is the bit that should be in bold:

fines will be paid by the federation

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
It really doesn't matter, cause the ITF/Hopman Cup tournament pays the fines anyway (via an agreement with the WTA).

And the Hopman Cup is moving to a new Arena next year, and they already have some top players booked already, it seems.

Despite Brisbane being upgraded (and the poaching of players), it seems all to do about nothing, until noted otherwise.

This is more an inside tennis issue with the ITF, Hopman Founder/Director, Paul McNamee, and to a lesser extent the WTA.

Slammer7
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM

You could have quoted the whole sentence. The article said "It is believed the fines will be paid by the federation."

It hasn't been decided yet, but one would hope they don't make these women pay out of pocket for supporting this long running event. :(

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM
@Slammer7

Don't worry. They won't pay out of their pockets. Lol

That Sydney Morning Herald article is a reprint.

I read about this weeks ago. And unless things changed (I doubt it), they were clear in saying, that the ITF would pay the fines for the players.

Slammer7
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:42 AM
@Slammer7

Don't worry. They won't pay out of their pockets. Lol

That Sydney Morning Herald article is a reprint.

I read about this weeks ago. And unless things changed (I doubt it), they were clear in saying, that the ITF would pay the fines for the players.

Thank you for that information. :) That's good to know because the Hopman Cup has been such a lovely tradition of the Australian summer. Very often it's more fun than the WTA tournaments that same week, it would be a shame to see players fined/disincentivized out of playing it.

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Thank you for that information. :) That's good to know because the Hopman Cup has been such a lovely tradition of the Australian summer. Very often it's more fun than the WTA tournaments that same week, it would be a shame to see players fined/disincentivized out of playing it.

Yup Yup

I agree.

Let's hope so, for the future of the event. Lol

SM
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
The players should not be fined they are representing their country....there should be exemptions

cowsonice
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Props to the writer for using the word "copacetic." I haven't heard that word in a while...

iGOAT
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
This is ridiculous :spit:. The Hopman Cup really should just be played the week before Brisbane :tape:. I'm sure the players (at least women as their off season is a month longer) wouldn't care and that way everyone's happy :).

Sombrerero loco
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM
too much money for li

tejmeglekvár
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The players should not be fined they are representing their country....there should be exemptions

and its still an exhibition tournament.
There is nothing wrong WTA defending her primary product (Brisbane-Premier) indirectly trying to force players there.

aloeball
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Well as long as the players don't have to pay then yeah. Otherwise the rules should be mended a bit - Hopman Cup is a really special event.

The Hopman Cup is awesome and very intimate - when it was being broadcast on ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). You get side stories of the players, better feature, insight, interviews, players ball, and you get to see part of the fundraiser events.

The hosts were great as well, interacting well with the players, some interviewing them.

Then Channel One took over and it's become like any other tournament - simply broadcasting matches. This has led to the demise of Hopman Cup for me. A shame really.

Pasta-Na
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:46 AM
poor li :awww: :oh:

Adrian.
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:51 AM
:yawn:

Mynarco
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:31 AM
bollocks :spit:

mauresmofan
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I love the Hopman cup it's a great event and should be upgraded from just an exhibition. It should be at a similar level as Fed and Davis Cups.

Corswandt
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM
First of all I'm surprised that you can still find newspapers called "Morning Herald" outside of Westerns or Lucky Luke comics.

As for the Hopton Cup, I always found fascinating the lengths to which the ITF will go to pretend that it's an actual tournament rather than the meaningless hit and giggle exho it is (digression - it's reminiscent of the ATP's desperate attempts to promote its own World Team Cup, only there it's the players, rather than the ITF, who don't give a shit). The ITF sanctions and promotes the Hopton Cup as an official tournament for no apparent reason while the WTA hints that it regards it as a legit or quasi-legit event, but in reality refuses to award ranking points and applies the rules set for exhos - including hefty sanctions, which in the end are merely formal/virtual since it's not the players themselves who will end up paying the fines.

It's just a mess, and a completely needless one at that.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Not only is ITF paying WTA about 600,000 or so, but they're also paying the players.
Wozniacki is skipping a Premier to play this exo.

So Hopman Cup must make a lot of money, because they're paying a lot before it starts

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Whatever, a small drop in their money buckets.

Big_Banana
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM

thank fuck, NaNa was tempted to kill herself

Lucemferre
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I love the Hopman cup it's a great event and should be upgraded from just an exhibition. It should be at a similar level as Fed and Davis Cups.

Being an exhibition is the main reason why it's a great event. I hope it stays that way.

chingching
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
doesnt the itf own the wta? if so they wont pay the fines they will scrap them!

bobito
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
The WTA is at fault here. If a long established and very popular ITF tournament was already in place then they should never have upgraded Brisbane and created the conflict of interests in the first place. The simple solution is to downgrade Brisbane once more and for Stacey Allister to apologise to the ITF and the players.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
The WTA is at fault here. If a long established and very popular ITF tournament was already in place then they should never have upgraded Brisbane and created the conflict of interests in the first place. The simple solution is to downgrade Brisbane once more and for Stacey Allister to apologise to the ITF and the players.Hopman Cup is not a tournament. Its an exo, for only a few players, and WTA doesnt have to tiptoe around exhibitions.
I'm all for more prizemoney in tournaments before the AO. The fields are packed with good players, and they deserve prizemoney for success.

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM
What exactly is the point in the WTA even HAVING this rule if they're going to make it so easy for players to get round it?

This is exactly the problem with the WTA in recent years - a ridiculous amount of rules all of which are never going to be enforced and so the WTA has to constantly make exceptions for their "stars", thus rendering ALL of their "rules" redundant ... whereas if they just had a few, more realistic rules (a lower amount of tournaments that players must play each year, fewer mandatory tournaments, etc.), there'd be more of a chance of the "stars" playing ball and actually signing up to them.

tejmeglekvár
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
What exactly is the point in the WTA even HAVING this rule if they're going to make it so easy for players to get round it?

This is exactly the problem with the WTA in recent years - a ridiculous amount of rules all of which are never going to be enforced and so the WTA has to constantly make exceptions for their "stars", thus rendering ALL of their "rules" redundant ... whereas if they just had a few, more realistic rules (a lower amount of tournaments that players must play each year, fewer mandatory tournaments, etc.), there'd be more of a chance of the "stars" playing ball and actually signing up to them.

but its not about players...
A WTA tournament could make bigger revenue with those players. Brisbane-Premier tournament is part of the WTA Tour. And WTA's main intention to make more money. With the fine, they can have the money, everybody is happy. Only 5yo make big fuss about it, constantly.

And I would like to see the forum rage here (you would be first in line, I'm sure) if WTA would not let players participate @ Hopman just because "sticking to their rules". Hat or no hat, whatever. :lol:

bobito
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hopman Cup is not a tournament. Its an exo, for only a few players, and WTA doesnt have to tiptoe around exhibitions.
I'm all for more prizemoney in tournaments before the AO. The fields are packed with good players, and they deserve prizemoney for success.

It's a little more than your average exo. This will be its 23rd year and it is now run by the ITF, the senior governing body in the game.

And I would like to see the forum rage here (you would be first in line, I'm sure) if WTA would not let players participate @ Hopman just because "sticking to their rules". Hat or no hat, whatever. :lol:

I think Dsanders' point was that the WTA's rules should not be so restrictive that players are being fined for taking part in the Hopman Cup.

tejmeglekvár
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I think Dsanders' point was that the WTA's rules should not be so restrictive that players are being fined for taking part in the Hopman Cup.

and the next thing you would see, players are missing tournaments and playing Exo's all year. Offer one finger and they want your arm.

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM
and the next thing you would see, players are missing tournaments and playing Exo's all year. Offer one finger and they want your arm.

Unless you're arguing NO TOLERANCE, I guess the point was, the HOPMAN CUP is a 24 yr event, that's sponsored by the ITF, so it should get a outright pass from the WTA in the first place. This is true, especially When you consider both parties already have a "Wink Wink" agreement in place, to pay for the players fines anyway.

In other words; why pretend!?

GAGAlady
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
What a ridiculous thread about nothing.... Non of the players are in trouble or fined. Yawn.

cowsonice
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
This is ridiculous :spit:. The Hopman Cup really should just be played the week before Brisbane :tape:. I'm sure the players (at least women as their off season is a month longer) wouldn't care and that way everyone's happy :).

These fines probably give the WTA one of its biggest paydays of the year.. ;)

bobito
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM

I'm not sure that would happen as I think elite players are better motivated than that (they wouldn't be elite if they weren't) but I agree that the option shouldn't be there. That is why the WTA shouldn't have created this situation by upgrading Brisbane in the first place. There was always an option in the WTA rules for Brisbane to up the prize money so that it could have two top 10 players without needing to upgrade it.

Ryan
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Im fine with the players forking out $$ from their own pockets. We rag on Serena for "not supporting the tour", but these girls are playing an Exhibition instead of a regular tour event. Fine em. :shrug:

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
As long as the Hopman Cup is well funded, it will always be a lure to the top players; when it guarantees 3-4 matches under their belts, at the start of the new tennis season.

goldenlox
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
They obviously make a lot of money, so the WTA will take their share of the profits. and let some stars play an exo opposite Brisbane, which will still have an excellent field.

Steadyniacki
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Who is the player not being charged?

Steadyniacki
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Im fine with the players forking out $$ from their own pockets. We rag on Serena for "not supporting the tour", but these girls are playing an Exhibition instead of a regular tour event. Fine em. :shrug:

This is wrong on so many levels :sobbing:

DefyingGravity
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
This is wrong on so many levels :sobbing:

How is it wrong? Wozniacki, Kvitova, Li, Jarka, and the other girls playing the event are being fined for an exhibition, which is not supporting the WTA events of Brisbane and Auckland. (Which is ironic because you would assume Woz would play every event she can, honestly...) The WTA could, and if they're going to start with these 8 should, fine anyone who misses tournaments (get the sarcasm yet?). At the same time:

The WTA could technically fine all their players for not playing their events, as it is their organization. However, with the fact that the WTA was started by the tennis players, it seems bizarre by any means to fire those who created you in the first place.

Excelscior
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Who is the player not being charged?

All of the fines are paid for by the ITF. No players will have to come out of their pockets.

goldenlox
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:04 AM
How is it wrong? Wozniacki, Kvitova, Li, Jarka, and the other girls playing the event are being fined for an exhibition, which is not supporting the WTA events of Brisbane and Auckland. (Which is ironic because you would assume Woz would play every event she can, honestly...)

...Wozniacki wont have a good male partner, which you need to win this exo. So it seems like they must be paying her a decent amount for her to skip a Premier, where can she can get points, & money, with a chance to win a title.

Steadyniacki
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
How is it wrong? Wozniacki, Kvitova, Li, Jarka, and the other girls playing the event are being fined for an exhibition, which is not supporting the WTA events of Brisbane and Auckland. (Which is ironic because you would assume Woz would play every event she can, honestly...)

The WTA could technically fine all their players for not playing their events, as it is their organization. However, with the fact that the WTA was started by the tennis players, it seems bizarre by any means to fire those who created you in the first place.

The players are supporting the tour.

They are giving the fans a rare chance to see the fun side of tennis. Just because they are playing under the ITF banner doesn't meant that they wont attract new fans to women's tennis, and in turn encourage more spectators and more sponsors for WTA tournaments. It's ludicrous that the WTA fines such extreme amounts (despite some players capability to repay the fines), they're are acting as if the ITF and the players are embezzling money from them.

bobito
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM
Wozniacki wont have a good male partner, which you need to win this exo. So it seems like they must be paying her a decent amount for her to skip a Premier, where can she can get points, & money, with a chance to win a title.

More likely a smart response to last year's start to the season when she went into the Aussie Open with only one match under her belt. Whatever happens, she's guaranteed 3 singles and 3 mixed doubles matches this year plus any matches she plays in Sydney. She should be in the groove by then.

DefyingGravity
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM
The players are supporting the tour.

They are giving the fans a rare chance to see the fun side of tennis. Just because they are playing under the ITF banner doesn't meant that they wont attract new fans to women's tennis, and in turn encourage more spectators and more sponsors for WTA tournaments. It's ludicrous that the WTA fines such extreme amounts (despite some players capability to repay the fines), they're are acting as if the ITF and the players are embezzling money from them.

Tell the WTA that then. And yes, goldenlox, I do think they are paying her quite a good sum.

dsanders06
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:16 AM

Unless you're arguing NO TOLERANCE, I guess the point was, the HOPMAN CUP is a 24 yr event, that's sponsored by the ITF, so it should get a outright pass from the WTA in the first place. This is true, especially When you consider both parties already have a "Wink Wink" agreement in place, to pay for the players fines anyway.

In other words; why pretend!?

Well, kind of. My main point was that, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of playing exhibitions instead of proper tournaments, it's pointless even having this rule when it can be circumvented so easily, and the WTA make no attempt to even properly enforce it.

Personally, I actually think the WTA should not only allow players to play the Hopman Cup, they (and the ATP) should actually officially sanction it and award ranking points for it, seeing as most players seem to treat it like a genuine warm-up for the Australian rather than an exhibition.

Im fine with the players forking out $$ from their own pockets. We rag on Serena for "not supporting the tour", but these girls are playing an Exhibition instead of a regular tour event. Fine em. :shrug:.

And this is the crucial point: even if you do think that, in an ideal world, they shouldn't be playing the HC, what exactly is the POINT in having an official rule against it when the players happily get round it (by getting the tournament organisers to pay the fines) and the WTA have no power to make it an enforceable rule? As I said, even attempting the charade of this pointless "rule" only delegitimises the WTA's rules as a whole, and means the stars feel like they don't have to sign up to ANY of the rules, even the more reasonable ones.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM
How is it wrong? Wozniacki, Kvitova, Li, Jarka, and the other girls playing the event are being fined for an exhibition, which is not supporting the WTA events of Brisbane and Auckland. (Which is ironic because you would assume Woz would play every event she can, honestly...) The WTA could, and if they're going to start with these 8 should, fine anyone who misses tournaments (get the sarcasm yet?). At the same time:

Thing is, WTA shouldn't be fining for not playing a Brisbane MM tournament which has been upgraded to Premier just this year. They should fine them if they skip Indian Wells, or Madrid...

We don't see the ATP fining players for not playing an ATP 500 (which is the equivalent to a normal Premier in the WTA).

Plus, it's not like they're playing an unknown exhibition, they're playing an ITF exhibition which has a lot of tradition!

ExtremespeedX
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:23 AM
Uh-oh, Dullniacki's daddy won't like this! He's gonna force her to play Hopman Cup, Brisbane, Sydney and after sweeping all 3 of those presitigious titles, she can safely tank that MM "Australian Open" event to recharge her batteries for her next big title in Brussels :D :yeah:

bobito
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
Uh-oh, Dullniacki's daddy won't like this! He's gonna force her to play Hopman Cup, Brisbane, Sydney and after sweeping all 3 of those presitigious titles, she can safely tank that MM "Australian Open" event to recharge her batteries for her next big title in Brussels :D :yeah:

Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

Ryan
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:34 AM
Give it a rest. :rolleyes:

Nah, just ignore him. He's got nothing better in his life than to insult a 20-year old woman. :shrug:

ExtremespeedX
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:36 AM
Nah, just ignore him. He's got nothing better in his life than to insult a 20-year old woman. :shrug:

Excelscior
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:47 AM

I was thinking the same thing (her true age). Lol

pradagirl
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:50 AM
Those fines are ridiculous.