PDA

View Full Version : Williams Pulls out of ASB Classic

ranfurly
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams has withdrawn from next month's ASB Classic in Auckland due to health issues.

After playing a number of recent exhibition matches, Williams told her agent Carlos Fleming she was not ready to play in Auckland. The former world No 1 has been receiving treatment for Sjögren's syndrome (an autoimmune disease).

Ad Feedback - © Fairfax NZ News

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/6166905/Venus-Williams-pulls-out-of-ASB-Classic

Predicted, now all I need to find is someone to purchase my tickets!

Welcome1
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Not even surprised

Sammo
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I told this would happen to all the Venus fans back when she announced that she would take part in this tournament :shrug:

Djezonfly
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Meanwhile, the Pope remains catholic and bears still shit in the woods.

doomsday
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
the year hasn't even started yet :lol:

sammy01
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
this is why us sane people have tried to tell venus fans to be realistic. she isn't going to suddenly be fit and a top 10 player after the best part of 18 months struggling.

wont be surprised if she doesn't travel to australia

TheDream
I doubt she even plays the Australian Open.

iPatty
And so it begins.

A-Bond
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Awww, that's sad for her and the Tournament, but somehow that was in the air... Disappointed for Auckland, the Tournament is really doing a great effort to be attractive for Top players but after Sharapova, Dementieva, Davenport etc. it seems that they struggled to attract the Top Players this year... I thought maybe Vera would play this.

Slutiana
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
And so it begins.
The beginning of the end. :sobbing:

Kairi
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I doubt she even plays the Australian Open.

Exactly.

This sucks.

But imagine this, she travels all the way to Melbourne, wins a couple rounds, and then suddenly has to withdraw... I hate this Syndrome

lang26
OMG I hope she get better I wonder if she will play Australian Open

marineblue
I see she's already begun her routine preparation for the AO. LOL. As if anyone sane truly believed she was actually going to bother to play there.

Valanga
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Ai :facepalm: Why has it to be Venus :sobbing:?

TheDream
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Exactly.

This sucks.

That exhibition told alot against Azarenka. She was getting very sluggish as the match went on. I don't think she really wanted to play it anyway; but it's best if she doesn't to avoid travel fatigue and other rigors even if it does give her matchplay preparation.

Jane Lane
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Unfortunate but NID.

dynamoRockstarr
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Noooooooo.....

damn.

:sad:

What's the next tourney??

Pump-it-UP
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Just a week ago she said that she felt good to play the Australian Open (and didn't mention anything about playing in Auckland) so maybe this withdrawal has been planned for a few weeks? :unsure: Sigh.

Kairi
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
maybe she wants more time in the gym to get fitter etc :shrug:

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Sucks. Let Greta Arn have her sodding title, i don't care! :sobbing:

Pops Maellard
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Vee :sad:.

Good thing I'm going to the men's tourney instread :sobbing:.

M.S.F
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
this is why us sane people have tried to tell venus fans to be realistic. she isn't going to suddenly be fit and a top 10 player after the best part of 18 months struggling.

Look who is talking :rolleyes:

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM

:haha: :haha:

sammy01
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM

i'd rather venus be in the top 10 than bartoli, but i think the signs have been there for sometime with venus and only her die hard fans have struggled to see or admit them.

TheDream
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
i'd rather venus be in the top 10 than bartoli, but i think the signs have been there for sometime with venus and only her die hard fans have struggled to see or admit them.

Stop trolling. :rolleyes: As fans, it's only natural for people to be optimistic, even if it comes off as delusional to you and others.

New_balls_please
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
sucks :bigcry: :tears:

sammy01
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Stop trolling. :rolleyes: As fans, it's only natural for people to be optimistic, even if it comes off as delusional to you and others.

oh grow a pair, if being honest is being a troll then i'd rather be a troll.

duhcity
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Well shit.

TheDream
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
oh grow a pair, if being honest is being a troll then i'd rather be a troll.

No, that's not being honest. It's being a condescending jacka** considering you've made negative comments about Venus in the past.

cowsonice
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Am I the only one who didn't see this coming? :sobbing:

DefyingGravity
Vee....:(

Pops Maellard
No, I really believed she'd have her shit together by January as well :tears:.

Madoka
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
damn, i hope at least she will be playing oz open...

volta
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM
That exhibition told alot against Azarenka. She was getting very sluggish as the match went on. I don't think she really wanted to play it anyway; but it's best if she doesn't to avoid travel fatigue and other rigors even if it does give her matchplay preparation.

This.

I wasn't expecting her to not play ASB but it looks like the exhibitions just showed her that she needs more time to adapt, probably even more time than she thought she'd need

Kairi
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM

No ur not :sobbing: i had my days planned out already so i wouldnt miss any of the streamed matches :sobbing: :bigcry:

Mary Cherry.
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Shell of a bomb.

Fighterpova
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Vee :awww: :hug:
A full year and a half of injuries and not playing :sad:

Vee, please get better soon girl :hug:

dsanders06
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM

This :shrug:

I'm sorry for her, but it's probably healthier for her that she finally seems to be starting to accept.

ranfurly
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Vee :sad:.

Good thing I'm going to the men's tourney instread :sobbing:.

I shoulda done the same, but it was a good time to get leave of work being only a skeleton staff and drive up from Christchurch and take the ferry from Picton.

Oh well, Gives me a bit more time to choose who I want to watch and then catch up with some pals down Queen Street/K Road.

SAISAI-GOAT
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
please play the AO :sobbing:

L'Enfant Sauvage
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
She might as well not go to Australia at all, it's better to train for something a bit easier/local than go all the way down under with little practice, playlike shit and lose in R2/3/POSSIBLY 4. Just don't put your name all out there for everything and just enter a tournament when you feel fit enough to do it, I hate to see her struggling against Zahlavovas and withdrawing and stuff. Just try to come back by Miami :sobbing:

new-york
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Unholy drol.

ptkten
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I hate to be pessimistic but this really might be it. I thought once she figured out her disease she could get fit again but it looks like she didn't feel good in the exhibitions.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Wasn't actually expecting for her to play. Many of us Venus fans don't have many expectations from her but to see her play once in a while.

akosijepoy
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Bummed but expected. The exhibition matches probably made her realize that she aint ready to compete. Best of luck to her and hope she recovers fast. Maybe we'll see her in FedCup or maybe Doubles only in Aus

burn
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
:tears:

Pops Maellard
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I shoulda done the same, but it was a good time to get leave of work being only a skeleton staff and drive up from Christchurch and take the ferry from Picton.

Oh well, Gives me a bit more time to choose who I want to watch and then catch up with some pals down Queen Street/K Road.

Ouch that's a long way to travel :eek:. I'm traveling from Palmerston North, a bit less far :p.

Hardiansf
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
maybe she wants more time in the gym to get fitter etc :shrug:
Let's hope it was the case :sad:
Vee... please be ready for the Oz :cool:
Still veelieve :angel:

Bluish
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Sad for the tournament :(

hankmoody
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:40 PM
WOW! That`s just so sad!:sad:

jrollaneres25
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Anna Chakvetdaze rules what? :confused:

faboozadoo15
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hopefully she can make it to Melbourne. The longer she has to stay away, the harder it is to come back.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:52 PM
She'll probably start her season on grass again?

BuTtErFrEnA
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:18 AM

i had that post quoted but thanks for doing it for me :rolls:

shoryuken
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I just hope she's fit and ready by Wimby and the Olympics.

sammy01
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Anna Chakvetdaze rules what? :confused:

my list of players i like and sweetest player i have met, chak has a forum if you would like to chat about her :kiss:

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Hopefully she can make it to Melbourne. The longer she has to stay away, the harder it is to come back.

On the contrary, I would say attempting to play the Australian would only set her back further... playing in the heat on a surface that isn't at all friendly to her game, she'd be hard-pushed to win a round.

Her body would maybe allow her one last run to the 4th round or QFs at Wimbledon or the Olympics next year, but I would say that's pretty much it... maybe she could get her feet wet at something like the Paris Indoors or maybe Miami. But grinding on clay or in the Middle Eastern heat would be madness given how advanced her illness is.

pav
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Shock, horror! Who saw this coming? Only about 99.9% of people, even the tournament director was covering his butt about her possible non show on the day he announced her coming:)

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:03 AM
On the contrary, I would say attempting to play the Australian would only set her back further... playing in the heat on a surface that isn't at all friendly to her game, she'd be hard-pushed to win a round.

Her body would maybe allow her one last run to the 4th round or QFs at Wimbledon or the Olympics next year, but I would say that's pretty much it... maybe she could get her feet wet at something like the Paris Indoors or maybe Miami. But grinding on clay or in the Middle Eastern heat would be madness given how advanced her illness is.

The heat and furface are problematic, but I stand by my saying that the longer she stays away the steeper and higher the hill she'll have to climb at her age to get back into peak form for Wim/OLY/USO.

Smitten
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Venus is done. Her delusional fans hold on to false hope as always, but it's no surprise as they keep expecting AO and RG trophies each year.

Pump-it-UP
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:20 AM

I think her problems are primarily joint-related, so playing in the heat would probably be better for her than in the cold

And I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that she'd be hard-pushed to win a round... :lol: Her illness was at its worst in July/August yet she still played really well against Dolonts (albeit it was just Dolonts) and certainly would have beaten 90% of the field that night. She's feeling much better now than in August, so I don't think it's unrealistic for her to show up to Australia and win a round too provided that she avoids a top player. The question mark is just whether or not her body will be able to recover in time for R2.

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I think her problems are primarily joint-related, so playing in the heat would probably be better for her than in the cold

Fatigue is probably her main issue.

And I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that she'd be hard-pushed to win a round... :lol: Her illness was at its worst in July/August yet she still played really well against Dolonts (albeit it was just Dolonts) and certainly would have beaten 90% of the field that night. She's feeling much better now than in August, so I don't think it's unrealistic for her to show up to Australia and win a round too provided that she avoids a top player. The question mark is just whether or not her body will be able to recover in time for R2.

I'm sorry, Dolonts is among the very weakest players you can possibly get in a Slam draw :spit: Not to mention the US Open surface is faster than the Australian, and she was playing in cooler night conditions...and yet even after that routine match, she was completely wiped out and unable to play another match; doesn't that tell you something about the stage her illness is at?

starin
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:36 AM
And so it begins.

http://i43.tinypic.com/sywi8y.jpg

AcesHigh
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:43 AM
as usual, TF overreacts to everything.

Unless you are Vee's personal trainer or confidante, no one here has any idea how she is doing or the real reasons behind this withdrawal.

As a fan, I wouldnt mind her avoiding the entire Australian season and making a comeback for a few favorite tourneys of hers such as Dubai or Acapulco.

And finally, of course haters (Smitten and dsanders) use this opportunity to slight Vee :shrug: this thread isn't surprising at all.

Gdsimmons
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:43 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/sywi8y.jpg

:lol::lol:
Is it wrong that I lmao at that gif? Isnt she like 12 or something?

Pump-it-UP
Dec 20th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Fatigue is probably her main issue.

I'm sorry, Dolonts is among the very weakest players you can possibly get in a Slam draw :spit: Not to mention the US Open surface is faster than the Australian, and she was playing in cooler night conditions...and yet even after that routine match, she was completely wiped out and unable to play another match; doesn't that tell you something about the stage her illness is at?

No. :shrug: She had just begun her treatment 2 weeks prior to that match and is seemingly (according to her tweets/quotes/articles from the past 2 months) doing much better than she was back then. Of course she's not Superwoman and won't ever even get close to her physical peak again, but it doesn't change the fact that she's PROVEN that she can still compete and play well for 1 match even when her disease is at its worst. Dolonts being an easy opponent is irrelevant to the point that I was making. Out of the 127 opponents that Venus could have drawn, she still would have beaten at least 100 that night. So that's why I'm not grasping you saying that she'd be "hard pressed" to win a round. I know you like to get in your digs at Venus on slow hardcourts, but do you really think that completing and winning a ROUND (provided that she draws one of the 60+ opponents who would be a favorable matchup for her) would be too much of a challenge for her? :lol:

dsanders06
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:06 AM
No. :shrug: She had just begun her treatment 2 weeks prior to that match and is seemingly (according to her tweets/quotes/articles from the past 2 months) doing much better than she was back then. Of course she's not Superwoman and won't ever even get close to her physical peak again, but it doesn't change the fact that she's PROVEN that she can still compete and play well for 1 match even when her disease is at its worst. Dolonts being an easy opponent is irrelevant to the point that I was making. Out of the 127 opponents that Venus could have drawn, she still would have beaten at least 100 that night. So that's why I'm not grasping you saying that she'd be "hard pressed" to win a round. I know you like to get in your digs at Venus on slow hardcourts, but do you really think that completing and winning a ROUND (provided that she draws one of the 60+ opponents who would be a favorable matchup for her) would be too much of a challenge for her? :lol:

I just don't get how on EARTH you're drawing this conclusion from a win over Vesna Dolonts (a win which, while routine, was hardly even some spectacular beatdown - the scoreline was something like 6-4 6-3 iirc) :lol:

As for her tweets/interviews or whatever - Venus has a history of just giving out empty PR platitudes without actually giving away personal details, I thought everyone would've learnt that by now :lol: As I've been saying for months, there's no treatment in the world which has a pronounced effect on reducing the fatigue that comes with autoimmune diseases......but Venus fans didn't want to hear that.

Moveyourfeet
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Come back when you're ready Vee :kiss:

Betten
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I wonder if there has ever been a year where Venus didn't withdraw from at least one tournament :lol:

No need to panic.

it-girl
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Venus just take your time. We want you to be healthy. So don't rush into anything.

Jajaloo
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:15 AM
She was never going to play. I'm not even shocked.

renstar
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hmmmm should i pull out my old poll thread guessing when Venus was going to retire;)....lets face it she's only stretching it out to try play the Olympics

Kairi
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Keep that shit to yourself :o

Mistress of Evil
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Vee :sad:

iGOAT
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Not surprising, a syndrome doesn't just disappear overnight, if ever. I doubt she'll play in Melbourne, and if she does I really doubt it's a wise choice. Hopefully Vee will be back for Miami :).

madmax
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
why is this over-the-hill has-been still trying? She's 32 next year and can't stay healthy during the course of one tournament...she's been done for the past few years already and father age doesn't care if you are multislam winner or not. It seems like somebody has trouble to accept the concept of RETIREMENT

flareon
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
venus :sad: I did not expect this she had been so positive on facebook :sad:

Sombrerero loco
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Meanwhile, the Pope remains catholic and bears still shit in the woods.

:haha:

Londoner
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Forever 7.

MiiMo
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I guess she's going to announce retirement during this year...

StephenUK
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:38 AM
This is a really bad sign for Venus.

She sounded so uptempo a few weeks ago but this looks like another health setback. I noticed that many people on this board think that she can make the top 10 next year but she needs to play and rack up the points or she will be slipping down further soon.

I don't want to write her off completely but I think all expectations of Venus need to be set at zero until she actually turns up and plays a WTA event or two - this may be the start of a continuous series of withdrawals before effective retirement looms.

Linguae^
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Do you know what a Sjogren's syndrom patient looks like?! Venus looked healthy to me. :rolleyes:

chingching
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Message to Venus:
Either grow a pair, or retire. The season hasn't even started yet. Its time to make the decision of whether to continue!

doooma6816
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
wtf?! not again...I hope she'll play AO:unsure:

maddogz48
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe Venus can still go to Australia and only play doubles with Serena to ease her way back on tour if she is not ready for singles play.

Wert.
Dec 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Retire already? :shrug:

atominside
Dec 20th, 2011, 02:25 PM
unbelievable how some of you disrespect a legend like venus.

Apoleb
Dec 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
She'll play the GS like she did last year. :shrug: I don't know why she bothers signing up for other tournaments.

JN
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
SMDH at the posters who choose to treat Venus' illness as though it's a paper cut.

Mixal
Dec 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I hope she won't make the same mistake and push herself to play AO.

cowsonice
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Why are some fans bashing Vee fans for being delusional? :facepalm: Is it a bad thing that we're hoping to see her play? :rolleyes:

Drake1980
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
:sad:

winone23
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
No, that's not being honest. It's being a condescending jacka** considering you've made negative comments about Venus in the past.

:worship: Amen!

*Jool*
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM
nice to notice the thread starter didn't think it was worthy of a 'bombshell' :oh:

V fans :hug:

winone23
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Venus rest up and come back strong! I think Venus realizes she needs to get fit so hopefully over the next few weeks she'll work on her fitness. Venus will show up for the AO.

SpanishSuenos
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Will she play at Australian Open??
It isn't good news for the beginning of this season,hopefully she will play in some tournaments.

Maddox
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Venus will come back when she's fit and ready to play, we just have to respect her decision.
It was wise of her to listen to her body, because last year was bad because she chose to play when she was not ready.

Vikapower
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
:yawn: Expected, I expect her in Wimbledon and Olympics grass only... her delusional fans were hyping her up all high already for the season... :spit:

Paneru
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Venus knows her body(is listening to it)and will be back when ready.

Be well Venus. :hug:

zxcVbnm88
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM
skip AO if necessary

M.S.F
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM
:yawn: Expected, I expect her in Wimbledon and Olympics grass only... her delusional fans were hyping her up all high already for the season... :spit:

:weirdo:
Some of you guys need some help.
When did her fans hype her comeback so much?
All what we want is to see her back on court again in good shape.