PDA

View Full Version : Ash Barty : most exciting junior prospect???

renstar
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Must say Ive been watching Women's tennis since about 1980, and I have had a certain feeling when I first saw Steffi start playing, Monica, Serena etc..... and I sort of have the same feeling when Ive been watching Barty play, her Wimbledon junior title and the playoffs.

Her forehand is like Henin, her backhand a carbon copy of Davenport and her concentration is Evert like..... Ill pencil her in the top ten before shes 18 or just after.

FcpEf9l4-SQ

chingching
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
No way, Anett Kontaveit is a better prospect. With 3 title wins and winning the recent Orange Bowl, she's one of the favourites for Aus Open 2012

renstar
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
No way, Anett Kontaveit is a better prospect. With 3 title wins and winning the recent Orange Bowl, she's one of the favourites for Aus Open 2012

Had a quick look on youtube, don't look that impressive at all, looked a little slow. In any case a wimbledon junior title is better than orange bowl.

The thing I like about Barty is she keeps her error rate down and her concentration and poise and court craft..... very rare for normal tour player, let alone a junior!

améliemomo
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
she' has a very good game and seems already very mature

I ll watch her in this AO R1

Caipirinha Guy
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I think there's no point to talk about juniors. Who EVER predicted that Kvitova will be such a good players when she was a teenager. So people, plz just shut up, wait and see what the future will be like.

Iceland
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
As good as her game is, I wouldn't really call Barty an "exciting" player.

chingching
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Had a quick look on youtube, don't look that impressive at all, looked a little slow. In any case a wimbledon junior title is better than orange bowl.

The thing I like about Barty is she keeps her error rate down and her concentration and poise and court craft..... very rare for normal tour player, let alone a junior!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PieNFuxza0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz3303N_J6s&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8tTFuLbcuQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HErzl5uHLVo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Did you see anetts highlights vs azarenka?

Looks more impressive doesnt she.

renstar
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:40 PM
As good as her game is, I wouldn't really call Barty an "exciting" player.

Well shes Australian that makes it exciting for us if she does well:p ...... well she has a lot of variety, sliced backhand, double handed backhand, loops the ball or drives it, good lob, good angled short balls....... I find her exciting to watch from what Ive seen...

chingching
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Well shes Australian that makes it exciting for us if she does well:p ...... well she has a lot of variety, sliced backhand, double handed backhand, loops the ball or drives it, good lob, good angled short balls....... I find her exciting to watch from what Ive seen...

I watched the whole match against khromacheva, also very mentally strong

renstar
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I watched the whole match against khromacheva, also very mentally strong

Yes I watched the whole match too, very impressive..... shes only lacking a bit of size, strength and service power at this stage to trouble the better senior players, but that will come.

Kontaveit looks like she hits a heavy ball...she may do well only time will tell.... U weren't serious saying she was a shot at the AO title? or did you mean Junior Title?

chingching
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Yes I watched the whole match too, very impressive..... shes only lacking a bit of size, strength and service power at this stage to trouble the better senior players, but that will come.

Kontaveit looks like she hits a heavy ball...she may do well only time will tell.... U weren't serious saying she was a shot at the AO title? or did you mean Junior Title?

I meant junior. But given that she has probably the most agressive game of the juniors (madison keys is no longer junior) I think she will translate onto the seniors circuit better than others. And she has won 3 titles and the matches she lost at 25ks were against in form players (lost 36 63 63 to sadikovic after she had just won a 50k in canada). I think top 100 by the end of 2013 if she plays her tournaments well (she is only 15)

Fired
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Judging by that youtube clip, Khromacheva looks more talented and "exciting" than Barty (who's only weapon seems to be her consistency).

pancake
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM
What I like about her is that she's very, very composed. But still it's too early to tell I think.

LeonHart
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Judging by that youtube clip, Khromacheva looks more talented and "exciting" than Barty (who's only weapon seems to be her consistency).

That's what I was thinking :tape:

And Barty plays more like Stosur if anything.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
i prefer khromacheva =D

King Halep
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Khromacheva's fh technique does not look good. Its all wrist.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
She is an Illuminati satanist, set on a mission to conquer the tennis world and lure us all to the dark side! :crying2:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmqwu2XwaW1qafrh6.gif

Monica_Rules
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Both look very talented. First time i've seen both play. One of the best junior matches ive seen

MB.
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Khrom appears to be a better player from the clip, IMO. Who knows how they'll mature, though.

renstar
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:20 AM

If making a winner followed by 3 errors is exciting then Khromacheva is exciting, if moving the ball around and using variety and consistency to win most points is exciting then I like Barty.... I see a big future for her

cowsonice
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:22 AM
She's got game. Good defense, spotty movement, SOLID groundstrokes especially on her ROS.
Most exciting? No. She's in a good field of talent. Let's not get ahead of ourselves

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Both look very talented. First time i've seen both play. One of the best junior matches ive seen

I too was impressed by both players. It was like watching Stosur vs Safarova.

Uranus
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Watching those Wim final highlights gives us hope. Those girls are good, and the match was top level for a junior one.

Dund
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Kromacheva is your typical basher. Except she's not really that tall or strong. If she can't improve her power she won't be an absolute top player, because the rest of her game is nothing special.

Barty in the Wimbledon final had only turned 15 a month or two before and has improved significantly if her AO wildcard wins are anything to go by. Kromecheva is over a year older which is a significant difference at that stage of development. Barty hits with more power and authority and with more aggression now than she did in that Wimbledon final, and she still isn't 16 yet.

Justine Henin didn't blow anyone off the court with power but dominated with skill and courtcraft which was certainly exciting to watch. Barty has similar qualities.

She is able to construct points and then hit brilliant winners with pure technique rather than pure power like Henin or Federer.

Some decent recent highlights

WB4H66_Hlbs

Uranus
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:36 AM
This is not a Barty vs. Khromacheva contest, guys. Both are very good. Barty can do a lot with the ball, has a lot of power and it's amazing for her age. Khromacheva is extremely skilled as well, and the way she finds angles and hits in the corners is remarkable. Both have touch, too. And the age difference really is unimportant especially now that every top player breaks through later.

Pops Maellard
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Her game looks just like Stosur. No thanks.

Rui.
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Looks like a Michelle Brito vs Robson thread :spit: Only the portugueses got replaced by aussies.

Alwaysfan
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Barty is good, but i think it´s a Oudin´s case at most. TOP 50. And she´s always very serious, she needs to smile sometimes.
Khromacheva looks better, a decent TOP 15, but i hate her attitude.

King Halep
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Her game looks just like Stosur. No thanks.

i dont get it. she can hit a good forehand, slice backhand and volley. things which are rapidly dying out in womens tennis. whats there to hate about variety. would you rather she played cookie cutter style like everyone else? i can understand the frequent complaints that she is boring because she is not blonde, beautiful and its hard to make cute graphics out of her, but why complain about her type of game. As it is, Stosur is at least a bit interesting because her game is not completely the same as all the others and she gives a contrasting matchup. i realise i probably should not take your comment too seriously.

Rex59
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Agreed. I thought Khromacheva was the better player, as well. ;)

oliverbecken
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I really like Barty's game! Lots of variety! :hearts:

Keegan
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I think she's a good player but I don't think she has any likability at all. A piece of paper appears to have more personality than her.

bbjpa
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Even more happy when winning than Pliskova :haha:

tucker1989
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:28 PM
All those second highlights showed were that Bengson is terrible...

I'm excited about both Barty and Khromacheva. I definitely think Madison Keys has just as much, if not more, potential than either of them. Should be an interesting few years coming up!

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM
top 50 or so
top 20 pushing it

shoparound
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing :lol:

King Halep
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Judging by that youtube clip, Khromacheva lost in straight sets :yeah:

Uranus
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Judging by that youtube clip, Khromacheva lost in straight sets :yeah:
In terms of level of play, a 75 76 loss hardly means anything. It seems people find more potential in Irina. IMO both are pretty good prospects and are skilled, maybe Irina even more. Ashleigh seems more matured as of now.

VeeJJ
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sophie An.... Future GOAT

cowsonice
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Sophie An.... Future GOAT

But she's already had surgery :sobbing:

LeonHart
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:25 AM
Khromacheva's fh technique does not look good. Its all wrist.

Barty's forehand is more wrist than Khromacheva's :tape:

Khromacheva's forehand actually kind of look like Dementieva's, which is very arm-ish.

King Halep
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Barty's forehand is more wrist than Khromacheva's :tape:

Khromacheva's forehand actually kind of look like Dementieva's, which is very arm-ish.

maybe you are right, wrist or arm. what i mean is that she does not seem to get much shoulder turn, it looks like a squash shot. why would they teach her such a technique?

Dund
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:23 AM
Just a question for people, do you find it exciting when you see Federer's opponent hit an absolute bullet deep in the court towards the corners, only to have Federer almost nonchalently hit a half volley baseline return for a winner with just as much or more power?

Not many players have the hand eye, technique and skill to hit that type of return. Barty can hit it with a decent amount of consistency that will improve as she grows stronger. Barty is far more skilled with far better hands than Stosur, not to mention she far more mentally tough. She can hit those half volley baseline returns as attacking shots rather than defensive like most players.

Barty's game will end up far more like Henin/Federer in style than it will Stosur. In fact her forehand technique is almost identical to Feds. Same whip and follow through. Fantastic shot.

So Disrespectful
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:15 AM
All those second highlights showed were that Bengson is terrible...

The 2nd point :tape:

Qrystyna
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM
I think she's really a robot.

chingching
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:28 AM

Barty is like Henin only she is not quite as dynamic. The only thing Khromacheva can do is ball bash and cry!

chingching
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
It was a remarkably agressive final for juniors. Most juniors puddle

dok-stos
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:32 AM
Top ten talent.
Hopefully some more epic battles with Khromacheva in the future :cheer:

RND
Dec 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM
I too was impressed by both players. It was like watching Stosur vs Safarova.

Yay good point :lol: it's exactly Stosur and Safarova.

Both got good future. Don't see how Barty's gonna get the better. As said, only time will tell.

SwingVolley93
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM
That other girl in the video was better. :shrug:

Dund
Dec 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM
Barty is like Henin only she is not quite as dynamic. The only thing Khromacheva can do is ball bash and cry!
A 15 year old is not as dynamic as a former world number 1? Barty is a superior talent to Henin at the same age. Some comments in this thread make it seem like Barty is a vet that has peaked. IMO her touch and skill is as good or better than Henin's, but she's obviously a long way off the experience required to consistently put it all together. Plus she may not have finished developing physically.

I'd almost bet my house on Barty being a much better player than Kromacheva. Far more skilled player who can construct points, use different spins, and hit with power when she wants. Kromacheva's technique is weak and looks like it will crumble under pressure, which actually happened in that Wimbledon final and addition to her mental breakdown. Severe western grip. Can hit pretty hard, but all the hardest hitters are tall and strong, where she is around the same height as Barty, only slightly taller. If you are going to make yourself a top player through ball bashing you pretty much need the height and strength to do it. Her power won't translate as well at the senior level IMO, but who knows, she may have a late growth spurt that gives her that extra edge.

Also the difference between a 15 year old and a 16 year old is significant. There is a huge amount of development going on physically and mentally in those years. There is a reason only a handful of players have ever won junior grand slams at 15 or younger. It's particularly difficult now when young players are staying in juniors longer and moving onto the senior tour later.

Pops Maellard
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM
i dont get it. she can hit a good forehand, slice backhand and volley. things which are rapidly dying out in womens tennis. whats there to hate about variety. would you rather she played cookie cutter style like everyone else? i can understand the frequent complaints that she is boring because she is not blonde, beautiful and its hard to make cute graphics out of her, but why complain about her type of game. As it is, Stosur is at least a bit interesting because her game is not completely the same as all the others and she gives a contrasting matchup. i realise i probably should not take your comment too seriously.

Oh, I'm sorry. She's a Goddess. Better?

renstar
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM
That other girl in the video was better. :shrug:

Well as in most 'highlights' packages the person editing can sometimes show their bias for one or other of the players by showing more winning shots of the player they like, OR it may happen that the best rallies happened to go to the one player.

The fact is that Barty won in straight sets so was the better player.

The highlights have a bias towards the russian girl in points but Barty clearly played better and smarter.

thegreendestiny
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM
She is definitely a force to be reckoned with in the coming years. However, I think Khromacheva is like a baby Kvitova in the making.

$uricate
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:29 AM
She has the potential to be huge!!1111

As least as successful as Olivia Rogowska :D

I think there's no point to talk about juniors. Who EVER predicted that Kvitova will be such a good players when she was a teenager. So people, plz just shut up, wait and see what the future will be like.

Petra didn't even pick up a tennis racket till she was 19 :o

She only started practicing full time in February this year.

King Halep
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. She's a Goddess. Better?

The point of what i said is not about looks. That was only one sentence and it was not directed at you. Im saying what is wrong with having a slightly different style like Stosur. After all, is that not what you said in the first place.

King Halep
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
She has the potential to be huge!!1111

As least as successful as Olivia Rogowska :D

Petra didn't even pick up a tennis racket till she was 19 :o

She only started practicing full time in February this year.

the way she played her last match, i dont think she practises

chingching
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Vote for who you think will win Australian Open Juniors!
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=449843

Uranus
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:53 PM
Australians are getting carried away. Call us when Barty has achieved 10% of what Henin has. She's a junior and such predictions are really risky to make.

Noctis
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Most exciting prospect junior , where does it say shes will be number 1 and winning slams, you'll be all on her bandwagon her shit and stuff later on in her career, its a prediction and TF is so predictable and clueless.Let alone snubbing a 15 year old for crap reasons.

Australians you choose crap clips too,

ohcACgxppdM
1 hour 12 onwards, Dont believe i seem that from any junior lately.

She has better defense and anticipation than Sam.Nothing mention changing from defense to attack or she can go all out attack,
shes only 15 and already look this good. shes working hard and traning, not sunbathing and taking it easy.

iPatty
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:05 PM
All these Barty stans that have popped up are so damn annoying.

Comparing her to Henin? Seriously?

sammy01
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:52 PM
that bengson girl is horrible, someone take her rackets off her!

as for barty she looks very small, i can see her getting over powered by most of the girls on tour. she will be another 5ft road runner.

Noctis
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:25 AM
You dont have to be tall,to handle power,shes already beating some power players of her level,you dont need to be tall to be a great player,no one got that match of Rogowska? she can deal with her hitting after 2-5,she steps up,change things and create pace herself. I don't understand how you all expect a 15 year old to be outhitting everyone with power already. the fact she manage to do what shes capacble now at this age is amazing. She will speak for herself,she will gain haters on the way,but they are bitter,thats shes good, she doesnt push, shes can hit a serve a fh a bh anyday. She can pretty much develope everything.

renstar
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
that bengson girl is horrible, someone take her rackets off her!

as for barty she looks very small, i can see her getting over powered by most of the girls on tour. she will be another 5ft road runner.

Perhaps you should look back at some youtube clips of the US open that Henin beat both Williams sisters to take the title. Henin is very small compared to the Williams sisters but beat them with her speed and courtcraft. This is exactly how Barty plays and exactly how she would beat a Serena or Kvitova.

renstar
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
All these Barty stans that have popped up are so damn annoying.

Comparing her to Henin? Seriously?

OMG shes exactly like Henin in so many ways. Ive watched a few of her matches, and seriously I was tired one night watching on youtube, then sorta opened my eyes and was thinking I was watching Henin, her forehand techniqe and the way she constructs points is EXACTLY the same! the way she hits her two handed backhand is exactly the same as Davenports!

Its as if her dad has studied these players and instituted the exact same technique for his daughter..... and shes talented enough to carry it out

but those who don't think shes a champion in the making will eat their words....

SilverPersian
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
Dave Taylor thinks so.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aussie-tennis-ace-could-surpass-hingis-20111223-1p880.html

I like how he says that people shouldn't heap too much expectation on her, and then says she is an "updated" version of Hingis :lol:

renstar
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Dave Taylor thinks so.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aussie-tennis-ace-could-surpass-hingis-20111223-1p880.html

I like how he says that people shouldn't heap too much expectation on her, and then says she is an "updated" version of Hingis :lol:

Read the article today myself, what a HUGE wrap he gave her, best hes seen at that age, and hes seen a lot of talent... Poor Ash hope burden of expectation doesn't effect her play, but I don't think it will, shes a cool cucumber

Noctis
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
The tour. Need someone like her, get on with her tennis, no bitching, no moaning brats, no self delusional I am. That goodxxx,

Petkorazzi
Dec 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
Noctis, stop gloryhunting on juniors :rolleyes: I remember you were crazy about Keys when she beat Alla in Memphis but soon you forgot about her. :rolleyes:

Noctis
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
I still support Madison and cheers for her and Sloane , there's no such thing as glory hunting on juniors, ill defend them without a question
They attitude to tennis is what make me like them, I support someone,and would never stop.
Questioning my support to young players is stupid, this is a democratic forum right.

sammy01
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Perhaps you should look back at some youtube clips of the US open that Henin beat both Williams sisters to take the title. Henin is very small compared to the Williams sisters but beat them with her speed and courtcraft. This is exactly how Barty plays and exactly how she would beat a Serena or Kvitova.

henin is 5ft 6, got herself into the kind of shape very few women have ever achieved and it still only gave her a period usually of 12 months before she burned out, got injured and had to restart the process again.

barty looks barely 5ft and is nowhere near the mover henin was when she was slight. henin also had amazing timing that gave her extra power for a shorter player.

barty will be lucky to be the next domi.

The Dawntreader
Dec 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Always the same kind of uninspiring stuff tbh.

cowsonice
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Barty still has room to grow so...we'll wait and see.

and Barty is NOTHING like Hingis :o

tennisforadults
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
henin is 5ft 6, got herself into the kind of shape very few women have ever achieved and it still only gave her a period usually of 12 months before she burned out, got injured and had to restart the process again.

barty looks barely 5ft and is nowhere near the mover henin was when she was slight. henin also had amazing timing that gave her extra power for a shorter player.

Ash is about 5 feet 4 at the moment (about same as Jie and taller than Domi). If you want to use a player's height as part of your argument, shouldn't you do some research instead of estimating from "looking" at video? :help:

She's only 15. Save your judgement for a few more years.

sammy01
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ash is about 5 feet 4 at the moment (about same as Jie and taller than Domi). If you want to use a player's height as part of your argument, shouldn't you do some research instead of estimating from "looking" at video? :help:

She's only 15. Save your judgement for a few more years.

she is small whatever her height. girls mature much quicker than boys and if you are 15 and not very tall chances are you aren't going to be.

as for your 'save your judgement for a few more years', i assume you are going to reply that to the australian stanning posters comparing her to henin and hingis already as well.

tennisforadults
Dec 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
as for your 'save your judgement for a few more years', i assume you are going to reply that to the australian stanning posters comparing her to henin and hingis already as well.

Dave Taylor is the one who's comparing her to Hingis but he also stresses so many things can go wrong before she hits 20 that her path needs to be managed carefully.

It's like John Alexander calling Sam Stosur a future Wimbledon champion when she first started out as a pro. At least he was right about the "champion", just not the surface.

I'm assuming that you will be happy to be proven wrong if Ash does manage to become a top player? Even if she only managed to become "another Domi", it will be of her own doing and hard work, not "luck".

sammy01
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Dave Taylor is the one who's comparing her to Hingis but he also stresses so many things can go wrong before she hits 20 that her path needs to be managed carefully.

It's like John Alexander calling Sam Stosur a future Wimbledon champion when she first started out as a pro. At least he was right about the "champion", just not the surface.

I'm assuming that you will be happy to be proven wrong if Ash does manage to become a top player? Even if she only managed to become "another Domi", it will be of her own doing and hard work, not "luck".

oh good luck to her, i know how hard it is to be a pro player and how hard they work being close friends with one. but i don't see anything that special in her.

what i do find intresting is barty and stosur both go against the typical australian hard as nails, in your face type scrapping fighter that we are used to with them in sports.

Pops Maellard
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
and Barty is NOTHING like Hingis :o

Probably a whole lot less bitchy :oh:.

HeninFan_2008
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:22 AM
My my my. Look at all the hate pouring in from the Venuts/Shrieky crowd. This young lass has a game that reminds me of Federer/Hingis/Stostur. Of course they hate her. I get this feeling already that in 5 years she's going to dominate the game.

King Halep
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Have just read the Taylor interview. Didnt know he has coached Ajde and Legend. He obviously is in a position to guess her potential. He says she has great instincts on how to construct the point which is probably something extremely difficult to coach. If he is getting excited then its not a stretch to think that she has one of the highest potentials.

renstar
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:59 AM

As another poster pointed out she's at least 5f4, so you pulling the 5 foot figure out of your head shows how ridiculous your comments are. You obviously haven't seen much of Barty playing, but in any case Im taking Taylor's word over some one trolling on a tennis forum board.

I have watched tennis since a small kid in the 80s, I remember having a certain feeling when Graf come on the scene as a 16yo, when Monica came as 'miss grunt' to the French Open as a 15/16yo, Capriati, and I remember watching Serena hit the ball extremely hard from right next to her court at Sydney when she was 16yo, and I all had a feeling they would be major champions. All im saying is I had the same feeling watching Barty playing. Even Allan Stone, who has been commentating on Tennis in Australia for decades said he thought she was the "real deal" and that he had been watching tennis for a long time and felt she was very special.

She does have to prove herself, but I personally think she's got a huge future....... who's the girl you're the number one fan of? Anna Chakv-Who???

SilverPersian
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Have just read the Taylor interview. Didnt know he has coached Ajde and Legend. He obviously is in a position to guess her potential. He says she has great instincts on how to construct the point which is probably something extremely difficult to coach. If he is getting excited then its not a stretch to think that she has one of the highest potentials.

I agree with this. Obviously it's very difficult to judge how someone will transition into seniors, and we've seen many "up and comers" virtually disappear once they get out of the junior ranks.

But given Dave's credentials, I think his comments should be taken seriously. I also don't think he's the type to blow wind up someone's arse if he didn't think they deserved it.

sammy01
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:57 AM
As another poster pointed out she's at least 5f4, so you pulling the 5 foot figure out of your head shows how ridiculous your comments are. You obviously haven't seen much of Barty playing, but in any case Im taking Taylor's word over some one trolling on a tennis forum board.

I have watched tennis since a small kid in the 80s, I remember having a certain feeling when Graf come on the scene as a 16yo, when Monica came as 'miss grunt' to the French Open as a 15/16yo, Capriati, and I remember watching Serena hit the ball extremely hard from right next to her court at Sydney when she was 16yo, and I all had a feeling they would be major champions. All im saying is I had the same feeling watching Barty playing. Even Allan Stone, who has been commentating on Tennis in Australia for decades said he thought she was the "real deal" and that he had been watching tennis for a long time and felt she was very special.

She does have to prove herself, but I personally think she's got a huge future....... who's the girl you're the number one fan of? Anna Chakv-Who???

heaven forbid you could be wrong, or well being OTT about her prospects as she is australian :tape:

as for the dig at chakvetadze, is that really wise when you are trying to hype up some 15 year old who has done nothing thus far. we can compare career stats on the pair if you like? :wavey:

Kooyong
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:11 AM
BREAKING NEWS

The Australian Media report on a young Aussie prospect. at least this year the players name isn't Tomic or Hewitt

:bolt: :bowdown: :tennis: :hi5:

I agree with Renstar about how sometimes you see a teenager and you can tell that they have big potential.

I think Ash fits into this group but I think she needs to bulk up just a little in order to cover the fact that she is slightly short.

Why is that important, at this stage is she able to return the kick serve of someone like Sam. I also think she may need to get more dept on her groundies

Of course height can be overcome as shown by Henin.

Over all I think Ash is a smart player with big potential and a good game with no big weakness.

HeninFan_2008
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
She even looks kind of like a female Federer!

andrewC
Jan 13th, 2014, 12:35 PM
No

Brett.
Jan 13th, 2014, 01:00 PM
No

What about her amazing run in Brisbane, idiot? lol

Maria4Ever
Jan 13th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Potential, needs to hit the gym though and physically get stronger. Once she does that she will get inside the top 30 pretty easily. She has a game that won't break down. Doesn't really have a glaring weakness except the power on the shot and that will come with gym work!

Eldest
Jan 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
No :spit: Keys, Bencic, Konjuh and Vekic alone are already better.

Maria4Ever
Jan 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM
No :spit: Keys, Bencic, Konjuh and Vekic alone are already better.

Don't agree on Keys, just too many UE's to win slams long term, the other 3 will be fighting it with Barty in the top 4 in say 6 years time.

SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT
Jan 13th, 2014, 03:55 PM
No,
Bencic and Konjuh are

SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT
Jan 13th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Don't agree on Keys, just too many UE's to win slams long term, the other 3 will be fighting it with Barty in the top 4 in say 6 years time.

Agreed about Keys, she's from Gen Suckmore anyways so shouldn't be compared to this girls.
As for Barty I'm not sure about, and Vekic is going nowhere fast.

iPatty
Jan 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM
She's been at the same level for the past 2/3 years now. :lol:

Adidas Dude
Jan 13th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Barty is a "confidence" player in the mold of Stosur and Molik. She needs to play a lot of tennis in order to find her form. When Barty was riding a wave of qualifying victories in Brisbane, she played amazingly well (better than I've EVER seen her play) and as a result, ambushed a stunned Hantuchova. But after her adductor injury, she was reset back to her "median level," the level at which she plays on an average day. The match against Serena showed that Barty is still not really ready to mix it with the elite best on an average day, but she's definitely in with a good shot to mix it with "the rest." Top 100 is not too far off and hopefully is a short-term ranking goal for her. I believe that's something achievable for this year, possibly even by Wimbledon. The game whom I think Barty most resembles is Kim Clijsters', not Martina Hingis'. Kim was a girl with fast feet and big shots. By 17, she was a fully-matured woman reaching Grand Slam finals. Barty might be shorter than Kim, but she plays the same way that Clijsters did - she chases lots of shots down, turns defense into offense and looks for an opening to hit a winner. Barty was doing this in Brisbane against Hantuchova, from what I saw!

crescentmoon
Jan 13th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I just don't see what some see in Barty. Her serve is mediocre, I mean Serena was blowing her off the court with her serve. Her power game is lacking, especially on the FH, her BH is a little better. She moves way to slow and her foot work needs a lot of work. I mean, Serena was heads and shoulders above Barty

SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT
Jan 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Honestly Barty does seem too slow for her height, when you're that short you need to make up for it with pace and she has none. Combine that with her lack of natural power and things don't look too good for her.
Still the best Aussie prospect though, of course. But world prospect, she's been passed by many other players.

bbjpa
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:29 PM
At least Bencic don't need a WC to win a MD match :nerner:

See you for the next WC at RG :tape:

jay holter
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Bencic, Konjuh, and Siniakova all qualified on their very first try this past AO. Ran right through qualies in a hurry like it was nothing, really. Shame that Barty has never had this experience.

crescentmoon
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Oh my, the shade. LOL

crescentmoon
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Bencic, Konjuh, and Siniakova all qualified on their very first try this past AO. Ran right through qualies in a hurry like it was nothing, really. Shame that Barty has never had this experience.

Valid points.

MrProdigy555
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Barty takes the ball fairly early and redirects somewhat well. She just has to get stronger so she doesn't get taken advantage of. lol.

crescentmoon
Jan 13th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Barty takes the ball fairly early and redirects somewhat well. She just has to get stronger so she doesn't get taken advantage of. lol.

Exactly. She is only 17 and she has time to build strength, we will see.

shoparound
Jan 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM

Keys' problems with UE's are going to be easier to fix than Barty's lack of power and speed as well as height problem IMO.

Pops Maellard
Jan 13th, 2014, 10:51 PM
She's alright I guess :scratch:. Against Serena I didn't see anything that special if I'm honest. She might've been nervous but serve % was way too low - below 50 at the time I was watching. And when she *finally* held serve in set 2, she raised her arms in triumph - not exactly the look of someone who has a lot of self-belief :p.

MrProdigy555
Jan 13th, 2014, 11:03 PM
She's alright I guess :scratch:. Against Serena I didn't see anything that special if I'm honest. She might've been nervous but serve % was way too low - below 50 at the time I was watching. And when she *finally* held serve in set 2, she raised her arms in triumph - not exactly the look of someone who has a lot of self-belief :p.
You can go into a match with self-belief and simply get your ass whooped, and understand that you're almost helpless. Doesn't change the fact that she kept trying. Saved a match point.

:oh:

carling
Jan 13th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Exciting? Nope. She didn't do a thing for me.

bobcat
Jan 13th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Keys' problems with UE's are going to be easier to fix than Barty's lack of power and speed as well as height problem IMO.

I agree. Serena, Venus, Davenport, among other big hitters were notorious for massive numbers of UEs early on in their careers. But they reduced them by utilizing more spin and better shot selection. Keys has a good serve, which already puts her ahead of 90% of other players, IMO.

shoparound
May 19th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Since she's somewhat relevant again…
As you can see, this girl is pretty talented. Her height makes people underestimate her.

bobito
May 19th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Must say Ive been watching Women's tennis since about 1980, and I have had a certain feeling when I first saw Steffi start playing, Monica, Serena etc..... and I sort of have the same feeling when Ive been watching Barty play, her Wimbledon junior title and the playoffs.

Her forehand is like Henin, her backhand a carbon copy of Davenport and her concentration is Evert like..... Ill pencil her in the top ten before shes 18 or just after.

http://jkrglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Staedtler-rubber.jpg

Smitten
May 19th, 2014, 04:47 AM
:lol: This girl is supposed to be Legend II

Shonami Slam
May 19th, 2014, 06:44 AM

:tape::tape::tape:

StephenUK
May 19th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Barty is a "confidence" player in the mold of Stosur and Molik. She needs to play a lot of tennis in order to find her form. When Barty was riding a wave of qualifying victories in Brisbane, she played amazingly well (better than I've EVER seen her play) and as a result, ambushed a stunned Hantuchova. But after her adductor injury, she was reset back to her "median level," the level at which she plays on an average day. The match against Serena showed that Barty is still not really ready to mix it with the elite best on an average day, but she's definitely in with a good shot to mix it with "the rest." Top 100 is not too far off and hopefully is a short-term ranking goal for her. I believe that's something achievable for this year, possibly even by Wimbledon. The game whom I think Barty most resembles is Kim Clijsters', not Martina Hingis'. Kim was a girl with fast feet and big shots. By 17, she was a fully-matured woman reaching Grand Slam finals. Barty might be shorter than Kim, but she plays the same way that Clijsters did - she chases lots of shots down, turns defense into offense and looks for an opening to hit a winner. Barty was doing this in Brisbane against Hantuchova, from what I saw!

She really needs to do something fast to reach this goal - she is still 180ish in the world this week. Compare her ranking and achievement trajectory to Bencic this year - already firmly top 100 and she only ever had to play one GS qualification event!

Mynarco
May 19th, 2014, 09:39 AM
This thread :spit:

DanLovesWTA
May 19th, 2014, 09:40 AM
When?

tennismaster8820
May 19th, 2014, 11:55 AM
She really needs to do something fast to reach this goal - she is still 180ish in the world this week. Compare her ranking and achievement trajectory to Bencic this year - already firmly top 100 and she only ever had to play one GS qualification event!

Barty should be compared with Vekic bc they are same birth year and not with Bencic, also Barty obviously needs more time to get her game going.
Too early still for serious comparisons.

Iblis
May 19th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Carbon copy. :lol:

kylerob
May 19th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Love this thread

Territory
May 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Just qualified for a main draw for the 5th time this year.

Still not sure she deserved the WC, but it has to be said that she's proving herself as capable of battling through qualies. :shrug:

shoparound
May 19th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Just qualified for a main draw for the 5th time this year.

Still not sure she deserved the WC, but it has to be said that she's proving herself as capable of battling through qualies. :shrug:

She's also gotten past the first round of a slam before.

bsza
May 19th, 2014, 07:25 PM
:spit: Haha. No way... Ana Konjuh, Belinda Bencic, Donna Vekic, Madison Keys, Victoria Duval, Anett Kontaveit are much better prospects. Even Taylor Townsend is a better prospect because all Taylor really has to do to get better is to lose a little bit of weight. However, Ashleigh is a good player, no doubt, bur she really isn't learning anything by getting these ton of easy wildcards. She will grow as a player by learning to fight through the qualifying in a grand slam, she should earn her spot, not just get it. Honestly, we should give wildcards to established veterans who have already proven themselves, while the young players can learn to get fighting spirit by playing in the qualies.

StephenUK
May 19th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Barty should be compared with Vekic bc they are same birth year and not with Bencic, also Barty obviously needs more time to get her game going.
Too early still for serious comparisons.

But she is even further behind Vekic, who has won a WTA title and reached two finals - Barty has one qf in Kuala Lumpur where she did not have to play anyone above 180 to reach that stage. I agree that Barty needs more time for a proper assessment, but the fact is that the main reason she is behind Vekic and now Bencic is that they came from countries without all the grace and favour that Barty does, so have had no choice but to travel round the world, gutsing things out in ITFs and qualies to get their points. Tennis Australia clearly hoped that they could cheat on this stage by giving Barty lots of wild cards and getting her into the top 100 double quick, but as their plan failed, Barty is now doing the qualies and ITF trail that the others have done, although she has an advantage in that the wild cards have given her a higher ranking to start from, and of course, she will still benefit from them ad nauseam until she reaches the top 100. I don't see how Ms Barty can still be called a 'junior prospect' when she effectively gave up juniors in 2011-12 and has been overtaken in the rankings by the leading prospect of a later generation, Ms Belinda Bencic!

machinist
Jun 14th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Too much hype around Barty, there are far more talented youngsters around.

shoparound
Jun 14th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Too much hype around Barty, there are far more talented youngsters around.

She is still in the Slams... via Wildcards

traralgon
Jul 4th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Sad to see her become completely irrelevant.

StephenUK
Jul 4th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Even her doubles is declining compared to last year.....

lupojohn
Jul 4th, 2014, 08:18 PM
These recent posts make it seem like she can't improve. God, give her time. She's 18.

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 4th, 2014, 08:47 PM
She will arrive folks, be patient! :wavey:

shoparound
Jul 4th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I'm sure she will find some inspiration from how Simona Halep plays.

Beaumont
Jul 4th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I think Barty has struggled with the expectation that went with being a great junior, in the same way Laura Robson struggled for a few years

sammy01
Jul 4th, 2014, 10:55 PM
The laughable thing reading this thread back again is she has actually regressed in the last year or so. She is in awful shape and her attitude doesn't seem like someone who is going to work mega hard to achieve anything.

She is never going to be a very top player, she seems to have realised that so has slipped into doubles and plodding around in singles and not being in shape.

Smitten
Jul 4th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Sad to see her become completely irrelevant.

When was she ever relevant? Death.

Sylvester
Jul 5th, 2014, 01:27 AM
When was she ever relevant? Death.

She made the final of three Grand Slams last year in doubles. That's impressive for a 17 years old player.

But yes, she needs to improve a lot of things on her game to make a real impact in singles.

So Disrespectful
Jul 5th, 2014, 02:15 AM
I still feel that Barty could be a late bloomer like Stosur, Molik and Dellacqua.

Danii's Law
Jul 5th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Barty's problem is that she doesn't like tennis. She has said herself she is not a tennis fan and doesn't know any tennis history.

She is talented and I'm sure she enjoys actually playing the game, but having no regard for the sport itself on a large scale would certainly detract from any motivations.

Although maybe now with Kyrgios achieving so much and being a year older than her she may start to feel motivation and hit her stride.

SocaBrainwash
Jul 5th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Barty's problem is that she doesn't like tennis. She has said herself she is not a tennis fan and doesn't know any tennis history.

She is talented and I'm sure she enjoys actually playing the game, but having no regard for the sport itself on a large scale would certainly detract from any motivations.

Although maybe now with Kyrgios achieving so much and being a year older than her she may start to feel motivation and hit her stride.

Which makes the fact that she goes through WC's like Hingis goes through partners even more baffling.

shoparound
Jul 5th, 2014, 02:48 AM
You see all these players like Barty and Stephens who have zero motivation and quite frankly seem lazy. And then you have Vicky Duval who fought matches even after being diagnosed with cancer. Sometimes wonder why some players are on tour.

WimbleBine
Jul 19th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Konjuh is a big talent and mega young!!

Greco
Jul 19th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Ash is biggest flop! :lol:

Idemo
Jul 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Ash is biggest flop! :lol:

:spit: How's Martic these days? Shaping up to win her 2nd game in a slam this year at the US Open, or not even that? :bigwave:

GoofyDuck
Jul 19th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I would not care if she doesnt happen

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

chingching
Jul 19th, 2014, 06:42 AM
:spit: How's Martic these days? Shaping up to win her 2nd game in a slam this year at the US Open, or not even that? :bigwave:

:haha: Ash to serve the Double Bagel :oh:

StephenUK
Jul 19th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Maybe Jason Stoltenberg should be sacked and replaced by Hana Mandlikova - she would sort her out! Sounds like she won't have a long career, if that is her attitude. All those wild cards going to waste when they could have gone to someone who cared. I can see now why Stoltenberg needed to keep her amused with an Aussie rules ball when she was at Wimbledon qualies 2013, tennis itself was too boring. :rolleyes:

Where is Barty? I've looked at entries for both WTAs and ITFs over the next few weeks and she is nowhere to be seen, it seems. Is she ever going to play the US hard court season before the US Open or is she going to avoid it again and just turn up at the US Open with the wild card like she did last year?

StephenUK
Jul 19th, 2014, 07:47 AM
You see all these players like Barty and Stephens who have zero motivation and quite frankly seem lazy. And then you have Vicky Duval who fought matches even after being diagnosed with cancer. Sometimes wonder why some players are on tour.

Agreed and it's players like Duval who have to play the qualies and ITFs while Lazybones Inc gets the wild cards.....

Mynarco
Jul 19th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Other younger talents like Bencic, Konjuh are catching up and Vekic has already done a lot more than Barty already.

Why is she not playing Phuket 25k/Nanchang 125?

Ollie.
Jul 19th, 2014, 10:08 AM

:haha: Ash to serve the Double Bagel :oh:

Doesn't change fact Barty is a flop by referring to an injured Petra. :p

Eldest
Jul 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
These Barty fans. :spit: Martic is injured, that's why she is struggling. Barty is healthy and she struggles because she simply sucks hard.
Next.

Iblis
Jul 19th, 2014, 11:59 AM
At least she has a FO R4, something your girl can only dream of until someone will gift her a MDQFWC or I don't know what.

Greco
Jul 19th, 2014, 10:43 PM
At least she has a FO R4, something your girl can only dream of until someone will gift her a MDQFWC or I don't know what.

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/images/uploads/burngif.gif

:worship: :yeah:

lupojohn
Jul 19th, 2014, 10:48 PM
It's funny how people are quick to judge someone who is 18 and nearly won 3 Slams in doubles last year.

StephenUK
Jul 19th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately her doubles results have also declined in 2014. I don't think anyone has made a quick judgment, she has been getting these wild cards for the last three years!

chingching
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Doesn't change fact Barty is a flop by referring to an injured Petra. :p

I am pretty sure to sign into WTA tournaments there is a thing you have to sign about giving best efforts or whatever. Are you telling me that Petra lies on this, is committing fraud against the WTA and could be arrested :eek:

BTW, her entering these tournaments is a joke. She should be banned from US Open. She has had decent wins outside of the Grand Slams.

Tampering
Jul 20th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Unfortunately her doubles results have also declined in 2014.

Honestly I think the decline is due mainly to Casey being more focused on her singles career this year.

She's inexperienced. One of the first things she'll learn as a doubles specialist is that it's hard to play with someone who's constantly trying to push for a career high in singles as a partner. You need to pick someone who'll commit to the team first.

shoparound
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Barty is good, but i think it´s a Oudin´s case at most. TOP 50. And she´s always very serious, she needs to smile sometimes.
Khromacheva looks better, a decent TOP 15, but i hate her attitude.

Arguably, Oudin has actually achieved more than Barty at this age.

StephenUK
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Honestly I think the decline is due mainly to Casey being more focused on her singles career this year.

She's inexperienced. One of the first things she'll learn as a doubles specialist is that it's hard to play with someone who's constantly trying to push for a career high in singles as a partner. You need to pick someone who'll commit to the team first.

So Dellacqua is primarily a singles player and Barty is a 'doubles specialist'? First time I have heard that as an excuse for the disparity in their singles success in the last 12 months. So why has Barty received all the singles wild cards, whereas Dellacqua had to fight her way back up the rankings through the qualies like a normal player? Sounds like yet another reason why Barty should be banned from receiving any wild cards for slams outside the Australian Open.

StephenUK
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I am pretty sure to sign into WTA tournaments there is a thing you have to sign about giving best efforts or whatever. Are you telling me that Petra lies on this, is committing fraud against the WTA and could be arrested :eek:

BTW, her entering these tournaments is a joke. She should be banned from US Open. She has had decent wins outside of the Grand Slams.

Since when was this thread about Petra Martic? She has her own current problems but really this is irrelevant to this thread. It's a bit desperate to pick on certain off form players just to make the most spoilt player in the Open era in terms of grand slam wild cards look good.

Barty should be earning her way playing tournaments trying to get her ranking up like all the other girls. Look at the work that Rogers, Min and Konjuh have been doing to get their rankings up after Wimbledon, whereas Barty is nowhere to be seen, just waiting for the wild card letter in the post. She's passed her 18th birthday some time ago, she can't use the age eligibility excuse for the no shows.

Tampering
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:23 PM
So Dellacqua is primarily a singles player and Barty is a 'doubles specialist'? First time I have heard that as an excuse for the disparity in their singles success in the last 12 months. So why has Barty received all the singles wild cards, whereas Dellacqua had to fight her way back up the rankings through the qualies like a normal player? Sounds like yet another reason why Barty should be banned from receiving any wild cards for slams outside the Australian Open.

Sorry I was commenting on the fall off in their doubles results this year, my statement didn't say it explicitly.

The two are what their ranking suggest they are. One of them is in the hunt for a seeding at USO and AO next year. The other makes most of her prize money in doubles and because of 3 GS WCs.

NeKo
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM

she'll win Australian Open 2016 :hug:

Kəv.
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Yes we already know the WCs should all stop and she should get there by herself and etc. No point arguing about it as it's not like it will change the decision made by TA. We gotta expect less for her, yes she is a GS junior champ and so was Lertcheewakarn. Sometimes it doesn't work out and if Ms Barty wants to take her time then just let her. Results just don't come in a flash like that and especially with her game and attitude. Her game is a problem, she's not very fast and not very powerful and can't play one another off the court like Konjuh or Kontaveit. Whatever happens for her just happens, leave her alone.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

chingching
Jul 20th, 2014, 12:40 PM
she'll win Australian Open 2016 :hug:

I meant Juniors :hug: And she should have won that tournament :oh: Hopwfully she does win 2016 :oh: I am gonna put that in my signature :D