PDA

View Full Version : German Sportswoman of the year: Petko in 2nd and Sabine in 4th Place

SeMany
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Big Surprise yesterday in Baden Baden. Andrea Petkovic was voted Number 2 for the Sportswoman of the year and Sabine Lisicki finished in a good 4th place.
Tennis is back on top!

1400 sportjournalists voted for the sportsman, woman and team of the year...

Punkteliste Sportlerin des Jahres 2011

1. Magdalena Neuner (Biathlon) 4260
2. Andrea Petkovic (Tennis) 2002
3. Maria Höfl-Riesch (Ski alpin) 1849
4. Sabine Lisicki (Tennis) 1222
5. Betty Heidler (Leichtathletik)1077

As Neuner and Riesch are World and Olympic-champions and Heidler as a World Champion as well, this is such an great honour

http://www.morgenpost.de/multimedia/archive/01116/fsc_spo3d_BM_Bayer_1116451b.jpg

http://www.dnn-online.de/queport/jrs?xpath=dpa/dpa-infoline/publishedPictures/large/jpeg-147F24001D986923-20111218-img_34140828_original.large-3-4-800-0-0-1183-1574.jpg

guichard
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Doing the Petko's dance

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/610x3.jpg

nevetssllim
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Why is Heidler so far down?! :confused:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Waiting for Mikes comments.

Patrick345
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Big Surprise yesterday in Baden Baden. Andrea Petkovic was voted Number 2 for the Sportswoman of the year and Sabine Lisicki finished in a good 4th place.
Tennis is back on top!

1400 sportjournalists voted for the sportsman, woman and team of the year...

Punkteliste Sportlerin des Jahres 2011

1. Magdalena Neuner (Biathlon) 4260
2. Andrea Petkovic (Tennis) 2002
3. Maria Höfl-Riesch (Ski alpin) 1849
4. Sabine Lisicki (Tennis) 1222
5. Betty Heidler (Leichtathletik)1077

As Neuner and Riesch are World and Olympic-champions and Heidler as a World Champion as well, this is such an great honour

http://www.morgenpost.de/multimedia/archive/01116/fsc_spo3d_BM_Bayer_1116451b.jpg

http://www.dnn-online.de/queport/jrs?xpath=dpa/dpa-infoline/publishedPictures/large/jpeg-147F24001D986923-20111218-img_34140828_original.large-3-4-800-0-0-1183-1574.jpg

Skirts > accomplishments :lol:

Riesch wins overall World Cup.
Heidler throws world record.
Petkovic wins Straßbourg.
Lisicki wins Birmingham.

Mike81
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Sabine should have been 1st

nevetssllim
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Errr no, she should be miles behind Heidler actually. :)

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Waiting for Mikes comments.

It was coming :p

SVK
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM
It would be interesting in two years, as Neuner is retiring, maybe Petkovic will win it...however I also think that Riesch deserves to be Nr 2.

Mike81
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:35 AM
It was coming :p

Sabine should blow the other German athletes 'out of the water' so to speak, she does with most athletes from around the world :hearts:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Sabine should blow the other German athletes 'out of the water' so to speak, she does with most athletes from around the world :hearts:

How does she do it? Shes not even top 10.
Thats why Petko deserves it.

Nicolas
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Petkovic over Riesch and Lisicki over Heidler?!?!? :help: Ridiculous....

Mike81
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
How does she do it? Shes not even top 10.
Thats why Petko deserves it.

Sabine made Wimbly semi and won 2 titles. Sabine was 'WTA comeback player of the year' and won a couple of other awards too. She 'does it' just because she's brilliant :cool:

nevetssllim
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Petkovic over Riesch and Lisicki over Heidler?!?!? :help: Ridiculous....

It's just like the time Wozniak was named Canadian sportswoman of the year in 2009 ahead of Lopes-Schliep. :facepalm:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Sabine made Wimbly semi and won 2 titles. Sabine was 'WTA comeback player of the year' and won a couple of other awards too. She 'does it' just because she's brilliant :cool:

Apparently the voters don't care.

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Oh Petkovic reached 3 Grand Slam QFs. Won 1 title and reached 9th :p

Nicolas
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM
It's just like the time Wozniak was named Canadian sportswoman of the year in 2009 ahead of Lopes-Schliep. :facepalm:

:spit: i didnt know that...wow....

Johnbert
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:03 AM
lena neuner ftw :drool:

Doully
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oh Petkovic reached 3 Grand Slam QFs. Won 1 title and reached 9th :p

Wasn't she the only player to do so as well?
It's not huge, but my god is she improving so much. Took the China Open final to 6-4 in the third on one leg as well.
I really hope she continues to improve. Congrats to both girls.

currie84
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
The importance and popularity of each sport worldwide has to be taken into consideration as well.How many countries are into biathlon(whatever that is) or alpine ski?

Break My Rapture
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I don't understand. Goerges won a Premier event on home soil, why on earth is Petkovic ahead of her?
I understand Lisicki because of her Wimbledon SF but Petkovic?

Johnbert
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I don't understand. Goerges won a Premier event on home soil, why on earth is Petkovic ahead of her?

julia didn't do very well after stuttgart/madrid this season... :tape: petko entered the top10, reached 3 gs-quarterfinals, final in peking, all in one a very consistent year.

hankmoody
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM
The importance and popularity of each sport worldwide has to be taken into consideration as well.How many countries are into biathlon(whatever that is) or alpine ski?

Germany is! These are actually way more popular here, than tennis!;)

I`d say that the outcome of this vote has much more to do with sympathy, than success!?:shrug:
e.g. Maria Riesch is very successful in her sport, but as a person she`s just so unlikeable!

Omega1
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Congratulation Andrea Petkovic und Sabine Lisicki ;)

SeMany
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Congratulation Andrea Petkovic und Sabine Lisicki ;)

both girls have great personalities and do their job well with the media...many other girls are more successful but are boring like jenny wolf worldchampion in ice speed skating...

Andrea is famous for her moves and sabine for her smile on court and both for fighting spirit on court...if sabine would have made the wimbledonfinal..she could be number 2:worship:

Raiden
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NZpInk68LPA/Tu9v2gil8GI/AAAAAAAAFWo/lKPG1memhgk/s398/germany.jpg

It would have been a treasonous scandal if these two Germans didn't win the award in 2011.

As for Petko & Lisicki, they should be veeeery happy to be ranked anywhere in any list that is led by Lena :drool:

Ferg
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM

:facepalm:

Gotta love the haters. Its nice to see consistency awarded over one big run. Petkovic had the better overall results, both in slams and smaller tournaments, has the best ranking.... I dont understand people who dont understand that.

Bismarck.
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM

:spit: Goerges was useless for 95% of the season whereas Petkovic wasn't. I honestly don't think too many German people were creaming themselves over the "importance" of Julia's win in Stuttgart.

Patrick345
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NZpInk68LPA/Tu9v2gil8GI/AAAAAAAAFWo/lKPG1memhgk/s398/germany.jpg

It would have been a treasonous scandal if these two Germans didn't win the award in 2011.

As for Petko & Lisicki, they should be veeeery happy to be ranked anywhere in any list that is led by Lena :drool:

Vettel has a case and it was really close in voting between them. Vettel had one of the most dominant F1 seasons ever, but he already won last year, is still young and will win a few more in the future. Dirk deserved it. :worship:

currie84
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Vettel isnt even a sportsman,he's a car driver.

JustPetko
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Vettel was only 2nd?! :eek:

Patrick345
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
:spit: Goerges was useless for 95% of the season whereas Petkovic wasn't. I honestly don't think too many German people were creaming themselves over the "importance" of Julia's win in Stuttgart.

Well to be honest Petkovic´s results don´t translate into much either. Won a single minor event, and didn´t medal (so to speak) in the Slam events. Didn´t qualify for the YEC/World Championships. For a vote by sports journalists it´s actually pretty bad that they finished top five.

In 2011

Neuner won four world titles.
Riesch won the overall World Cup.
Heidler threw a world record.
Wolf won the 500m World Championships and discipline World Cup.
Hüfner won the Luge World Championships.
Rebensburg won the Giant Slalom discipline World Cup.
Arndt became the time trial world champion.
Schöneborn won a gold and two silver at the European Championships.

All of them are also either the reigning Olympic or world champion in their sport.

Petkovic and Lisicki simply don´t measure up.

Oermi
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/01530/fsc_spo3d_BM_Bayer_1530416p.jpg

Petko and Lena :hearts:

(Lena looks like a princess) :hearts:

Bismarck.
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Well to be honest Petkovic´s results don´t translate into much either. Won a single minor event, and didn´t medal (so to speak) in the Slam events. Didn´t qualify for the YEC/World Championships. For a vote by sports journalists it´s actually pretty bad that they finished top five.

In 2011

All of them are also either the reigning Olympic or world champion in their sport.

:shrug: I'm not disagreeing with this as I think neither Lisicki nor Petkovic has done as well as some of the women on the list (Neuner, Riesch, Heidler and Rebensburg, especially) but putting Goerges in over Petkovic would have been even more ridiculous.

GrandMartha
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
:shrug: I'm not disagreeing with this as I think neither Lisicki nor Petkovic has done as well as some of the women on the list (Neuner, Riesch, Heidler and Rebensburg, especially) but putting Goerges in over Petkovic would have been even more ridiculous.

it wouldn't if you have some idea how things work out in Germany.:lol:
an example: on the occasion of German reunification day the biggest tabloid paper of Germany "BILD" published the list of "The 100 Germans of the future" and guess which tennis player made it to that list? not Lisicki, who reached Wimbledon SF, won titles, not Petkovic, who made slams QFs, made it to the top 10, not Kerber who had a sensational run at the USOpen. Yes, Görges was on the list because...she's the "real" German :p

JustPetko
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM

You're ridicolous :facepalm:

This season (GS and Premiers):
Goerges: Stuttgart W, Madrid QF. Slams: 3R-3R-3R-3R (Year-end ranking: #21)
Petkovic: Beijing F, Cincy SF, Miami and Toronto QF. Slams: QF-QF-3R-QF (YER: #10)

So: Andrea > Julia.

Patrick345
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I never suggested that. :confused: Although there is no doubt, that in 2011 Goerges has won the biggest title.

Nina.
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Germany is! These are actually way more popular here, than tennis!;)

I`d say that the outcome of this vote has much more to do with sympathy, than success!?:shrug:
e.g. Maria Riesch is very successful in her sport, but as a person she`s just so unlikeable!

I think it was also taken into account that tennis was pretty much dead these last years and now with Petko (and Sabine) the general public is at least aware again that we have tennis players.
Also Riesch won when she won Olympic gold (where it could have easily been given to Lena). I think overall it's a good result.

Patrick345
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
an example: on the occasion of German reunification day the biggest tabloid paper of Germany "BILD" published the list of "The 100 Germans of the future" and guess which tennis player made it to that list? not Lisicki, who reached Wimbledon SF, won titles, not Petkovic, who made slams QFs, made it to the top 10, not Kerber who had a sensational run at the USOpen. Yes, Görges was on the list because...she's the "real" German :p

Oh please. :rolleyes: Lisicki and Petkovic get far more (tabloid) press than Goerges.

Ian Aberdon
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM
an example: on the occasion of German reunification day the biggest tabloid paper of Germany "BILD" published the list of "The 100 Germans of the future" and guess which tennis player made it to that list? not Lisicki, who reached Wimbledon SF, won titles, not Petkovic, who made slams QFs, made it to the top 10, not Kerber who had a sensational run at the USOpen. Yes, Görges was on the list because...she's got the biggest tits :p

I've fixed it for you...you can thank me later...:angel:

hankmoody
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I think it was also taken into account that tennis was pretty much dead these last years and now with Petko (and Sabine) the general public is at least aware again that we have tennis players.
Also Riesch won when she won Olympic gold (where it could have easily been given to Lena). I think overall it's a good result.

Yeah, that`s certainly a reason!
Hmm, you`re right, she did win last year, well maybe I´m just biased here, cause I really can`t stand Maria...;)

Yes, it really is a nice result, nice honor for Petko! (and also especially for Lena, in her goodbye-season:))

hankmoody
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I've fixed it for you...you can thank me later...:angel:

Yes, now it has BILD-Niveau! :lol:

Nina.
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, that`s certainly a reason!
Hmm, you`re right, she did win last year, well maybe I´m just biased here, cause I really can`t stand Maria...;)

Yeah, she's great at skiing but I really can't stand her either :lol:

Carsten
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM

In 2011

Honestly I think it's really much more of an achievement to be for example number 10 in Tennis than being No. 10 in any wintersports. There's much more competition because tennis is a much more global sport. So you can't compare that success 1:1.
And Tennis is still big in Germany, although it didn't translate into much media attention because there wasn't a lot of success in the past years. But still many people are playing tennis.

And the election of the sportswoman of the year is not just about success, it's also about personality and being a role model.

GrandMartha
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Oh please. :rolleyes: Lisicki and Petkovic get far more (tabloid) press than Goerges.

because they made more noise, because they both have accomplished more than Julia. It just shows that Germans are quite "patriotic" when it comes to supporting their sportmen :p

Raiden
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
an example: on the occasion of German reunification day the biggest tabloid paper of Germany "BILD" published the list of "The 100 Germans of the future" and guess which tennis player made it to that list? not Lisicki, who reached Wimbledon SF, won titles, not Petkovic, who made slams QFs, made it to the top 10, not Kerber who had a sensational run at the USOpen. Yes, Görges was on the list because...she's the "real" German :pWell she damn right is! And that's not because of her ethnicity but because the others reject assimilation and speak non-German on the court...... or sneak in and out of receptions at the Polish embassy declaring their love of their "real motherland"... Especially Kerber is basically a traitor who has openly admitted that she doesn't like her German heritage and wants to emigrate to Poland at some future time (presumably in order to get pregnant and give birth to a "real" Polish? :p). Also I think Petkovic has alluded that she "feels Serbian" and only "thinks German" or something like that.

In other words, the Germans ARE justified to regard Julia as a "real" German cuz she's the only one who feels German and doesn't sneak into foreign embassies and snoop into her family tree to find a foreign ancestor

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Is that stupid german rule that a player only "qualifies" for the Olympics if she reaches a slam semi or wins a tier I title????

Carsten
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Especially Kerber is basically a traitor who has openly admitted that she doesn't like her German heritage and wants to emigrate to Poland at some future time (once she gets old or when she wins a slam or whatever).

No she hasn't. She clearly said she's German and doesn't want to change her nationality, Polish media was just overreacting.

Also Petkovic has admitted that she "feels" Serbian and only "thinks German" (or something like that). So in other words, the Germans have the right to regard Julia as a "real" German cuz she's the only one who feels German and doesn't snoop into her family tree to find a foreign ancestor :p

No, Petko sais she feels German with a serbian heart/temper.

And Petko/Lisicki do get much more media attention than Görges in Germany simply because they are more successful and probably because they are more easy-going with the media. Also Kerber did get a lot of attention during US Open. ;)

hankmoody
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well she damn right is! And that's not because of her ethnicity but because the others reject assimilation and speak non-German on the court or sneak in and out of receptions at some non-German embassy... Especially Kerber is basically a traitor who has openly admitted that she doesn't like her German heritage and wants to emigrate to Poland at some future time (presumably in order to get pregnant and give birth to a "real" Polish :p). Also Petkovic has alluded that she "feels Serbian" and only "thinks German" or something like that.

In other words, the Germans ARE justified to regard Julia as a "real" German cuz she's the only one who feels German and doesn't sneak into foreign embassies and snoop into her family tree to find a foreign ancestor

Wrong! I never read or heard anything about Julia being regarded as "the only real german" of them!
And the argument gociku is making is based on a BILD-article! So like everything else in BILD just ridicolous!
If you look at german media, Julia is getting almost no attention at all, other than the other german girls! (Exept for some northern-german regional media)

Believe it or not, germans in general aren`t as nationalistic as many might think! :wavey:

Raiden
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM
No she hasn't. She clearly said she's German and doesn't want to change her nationality, Polish media was just overreacting.You're right. The Polish have a long history of stealing Germans who may have some vague connection to Poland and pretend that they are Polish (Copernicus, Nowitzki etc....) they also steal other nationalities (like Frenchman Chopin :devil: