PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful forehand strokes.

Nicolás89
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Forget service motions, what are the best looking forehand strokes? Post videos. :angel:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Julia Goerges :bowdown:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:18 AM
YHUz7yhQP4Q

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I also love Mandys

b5eURI_9wBE

BlueTrees
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:20 AM
J3kJMB_knxM

Holdsworth
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Of course Kvitova, Li, Goerges :worship: Also Jovanovski

Stonerpova
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:39 AM
5Nb87nnbigA
YO3sLFXgYDI

Close the thread.

Curtos07
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:48 AM
TqmuDsDSPHA

mxUHk4VYBIg

dybbuk
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I actually loved Szavay's, even thought her forehand itself sucked most of the time. It was a pretty motion.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Lindsay, Petra, Serena, Jelena

Mike81
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Sabine's fast and flat forehand winners, like a rocket! :cool:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:59 AM
^ I knew it when I saw your name :tape:

Sabine's forehand is just ballbashery, its not beautiful.

Holdsworth
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM

How did you guess ? ))

Mike81
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Sabine's forehand is just ballbashery, its not beautiful.

Sabine's style of tennis is very beautiful to me, just like her :kiss: and I enjoy power hitting. To me it's beautiful.

2nd most beautiful forehand- Jarka Gajdosova :hearts:

IF you must call them ballbashers, well i'd say "I love them ballbashin' babes! :cool:

Kəv.
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Sabine's style of tennis is very beautiful to me, just like her :kiss: and I enjoy power hitting. To me it's beautiful.

2nd most beautiful forehand- Jarka Gajdosova :hearts:

Im guessing you like ballbashers?

Dominic
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I actually loved Szavay's, even thought her forehand itself sucked most of the time. It was a pretty motion.

OMG what the hell happened to her?

joy division
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Perfect slomos of Julia`s and Ana`s forehand by Richard van Loon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravanloon/5119005348/in/photostream/

Morning Morgan
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Capriati :hearts:

MarkNL
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Lisicki, Li, Goerges and Ivanovic :)

égalité
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Davenport :worship:

Tezuka.
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Julia
Sveta
Pavly

Smitten
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Legend.

dybbuk
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM

She has really severe back problems, like Golovin. I'm dimly remember some stories about her having problems walking and running without pain, let alone playing tennis. She hasn't played for over a year and might have to retire.

Smitten
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Her career went downhill after having to alter her service motion due to back issues.

She's super local now.

bobito
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Current players - Ivanovic, Stosur, Kvitova.

All-time - Steffi of course.

Dund
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I'm actually enamoured by 15 year old Ashleigh Barty's from what I've seen. It's an outstanding fluid motion and has similarities with Federer's.

evana
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Ana has the best forehand in the game. :)

MiiMo
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Maria Sharapova's forehand is great to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2VYJ_uIxyg

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ivanovic, Sharapova, Goerges, Serena, Venus :shrug:

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Ivanovic, and Venus' 2000 forehand (don't care what people say, I love it :hearts:).

Also Pierce, Dementieva, Davenport in retired players.

Brad[le]y.
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ana has the best forehand in the game. :)

better than Steffi Graf's?

Doully
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM

I'll pray and assume the poster meant more beautiful and not better. :crying2:.

Steffi's forehand, while the best ever, was ugly.

Big_Banana
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Na vs Hingis AO 07 in the first set was so :drool:

I have the video somewhere

Miss Amor
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've always found Lindsay and Serena's FH strokes really pleasing. The early preparation, the body weight transfer, the follow through and the authority grunt (in serena's case) at the end is just :drool:

evana
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM

I meant in the current game. ;) Of course Steffi's forehand was a tremendous shot but not really aesthetically pleasing imo :p

Coconut91
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
There is a bunch of devastating, potent, good forehands, but I don't find many of them actually "beautiful", as in fluid, smooth, effortless and natural looking.

Pavlyuchenkova's the most aesthetically pleasing for me, and one of the reasons why she's my favorite player. Beautiful motion.

Bluish
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Capriati :worship:

Omega1
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Serena ,Lisicki, Goerges and Ivanovic ;)

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Kournikova's was also quite lovely.

Iva87
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Serena, Ana, Petra

The Witch-king
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
That short chick that beat Woz at Wimbledon I forget her name

vozas
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sharapova's 2006 forehand was a beauty.

Davenport, Ivanovic and Kvitova have/had gorgeous forehands too.

Graf's forehand isn't pretty at all. Sure it's the deadliest groundstroke in the history of female tennis but it was a pretty ugly technique.

Can't believe Goerges' being cited :facepalm: that horrible swing it looks like she's bowling.

toxina90
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
No love for Dulko? I think she's the most graceful on tour, followed by Goerges... :hearts:

Sp2--cYPa7s

Jane Lane
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:07 PM
No love for Dulko? I think she's the most graceful on tour, followed by Goerges... :hearts:

Sp2--cYPa7s

I was about the bring Gise & this match up. :hearts:

Flavia's FH is gorgeous too. Her groundies in general are so pretty. :)

Sammo
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
The best is the prettiest, Sam's.

Cajka
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Ana and Julia.

Djezonfly
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I find it quite sad that when it comes to giving examples of beautiful strokes, TF seems unable to name anything but the same 5-6 players who are always mentioned in every other thread :help:
To be a bit more original, I'd say Alona Bondarenko has a beautiful forehand (as well as backhand). Dulko is also a great example. I guess they should win a slam so that the beauty of their strokes could instantly be worshipped.

mac47
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Dulko's backswing is too long.

Mixal
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Kirilenko, Venus, Julia...

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Davenport and Ivanovic

Sabinator.
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Lisicki - I love her forehand when she's peak :drool: I really don't exaggerate. I do love Goerges's and Stosur's too.

dawid
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM
What about Date-Krumm?

I really like Davenport, Serena and Kimiko forehand

iPatty
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Schnyder for me. One of the reasons I liked her so much.

Miss Amor
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
^ Patty's forehand was so deliciously annoying.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I used to find Conchita Martinez's forehand absolutely gorgeous. That kind of free-flowing motion, and the amount of whip she got off it.

It was just fabulous.

Break My Rapture
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Alona Bond and Davenport's. :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Can't believe Goerges' being cited :facepalm: that horrible swing it looks like she's bowling.

Agreed. Then again I absolutely love Del Potro's FH so who am I to judge? :sobbing:

Many people think Julia's got one of the best-looking serve's too. I disagree with that as well :tears:. TBH Julia's strokes and serve remind me of a Playstation-invented character :tears:.

Miss Amor
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Agreed. Then again I absolutely love Del Potro's FH so who am I to judge? :sobbing:

Many people think Julia's got one of the best-looking serve's too. I disagree with that as well :tears:. TBH Julia's strokes and serve remind me of a Playstation-invented character :tears:.

Del Potro's aren't as big and laboured as Goerges. He can actually play on fast surfaces, unlike Goerges.

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I also quite like Rezai's even if she basically slaps the ball.

The Dawntreader
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't get the Goerges vote either. All that bizarre flourishing she does with her arm, where she looks like she's rounding up cattle.

Not pretty.

borrowedheaven
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
There is a bunch of devastating, potent, good forehands, but I don't find many of them actually "beautiful", as in fluid, smooth, effortless and natural looking.

Pavlyuchenkova's the most aesthetically pleasing for me, and one of the reasons why she's my favorite player. Beautiful motion.
Agreed. I like Ana's too.

cowsonice
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I like Goerges's forehand because it's so fluid and powerfully effective on clay.

TheDream
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Lindsay Davenport by far.

JCTennisFan
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Vaidisova, Capriati, Davenport, Pierce, and Clijsters are probably my favorite. I especially like that Capriati and Kim can both do a "same side follow through" akin to Nadal's forehand.

But purely on looks, Davenport has to win when considering my choices. Her groundstrokes (both FH and BH) always looked so textbook and effortless. Vaidisova's was pretty awesome looking and effortless at her best as well (though not quite as nice as Davenports).

Reptilia
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Flavia and Wicky :hearts:

Stonerpova
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Vaidisova, Capriati, Davenport, Pierce, and Clijsters are probably my favorite. I especially like that Capriati and Kim can both do a "same side follow through" akin to Nadal's forehand.

But purely on looks, Davenport has to win when considering my choices. Her groundstrokes (both FH and BH) always looked so textbook and effortless. Vaidisova's was pretty awesome looking and effortless at her best as well (though not quite as nice as Davenports).

90% of WTA players use the reverse forehand.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:08 AM
90% of WTA players use the reverse forehand.

Im sorry, should I describe myself further? Kim and Jen used that shot more often than any other women ive seen in recent times. They also were actually able to use it pretty effectively on a consistent basis. I mean most players know how to slice as well, but that doesnt mean that Graf or Nav werent really good at slicing as compared to the other women at the time.

And on the Men's side, do we think of Agassi when we are talking about a reverse forehand? Sampras? No, last I checked the first person most people think of would be Nadal.

Nicolás89
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Im sorry, should I describe myself further? Kim and Jen used that shot more often than any other women ive seen in recent times. They also were actually able to used it pretty effectively on a consistent basis. I mean most players know how to slice as well, but that doesnt mean that Graf or Nav werent really good at slicing as compared to the other women at the time.

And on the Men's side, do we think of Agassi when we are talking about a reverse forehand? Sampras? No, last I checked the first person most people think of would be Nadal.

Sharapova uses it much more than both your picks. End.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Sharapova uses it much more than both your picks. End.

Sharapova and Davenport both used it quite a bit... which is true but I still dont think they used it more often than Cap or Kim.

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Li. :lol:

Alona, Daniela, Patty, Capriati, Martinez and Kournikova are some of my favorites of recent times.

Some of the prettiest (to me) aren't the most effective. Szavay and JJ come to mind.

Stonerpova
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Im sorry, should I describe myself further? Kim and Jen used that shot more often than any other women ive seen in recent times. They also were actually able to use it pretty effectively on a consistent basis. I mean most players know how to slice as well, but that doesnt mean that Graf or Nav werent really good at slicing as compared to the other women at the time.

http://www.active.com/tennis/Articles/The_Reverse_Forehand_Finish.htm

:facepalm: Wrong again. Sampras, who reversed his follow through naturally, was the first player to present it to Robert Lansdorp back in the 1980s. Lansdorp then taught it to Davenport and Sharapova, among others, and it became quite a common stroke in the last decade or so.

And in the past ten years no WTA player used the shot more than Lindsay Davenport. After the knee injury she reversed at least 50% of her forehands.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:43 AM
http://www.active.com/tennis/Articles/The_Reverse_Forehand_Finish.htm

:facepalm: Wrong again. Sampras, who reversed his follow through naturally, was the first player to present it to Robert Lansdorp back in the 1980s. Lansdorp then taught it to Davenport and Sharapova, among others, and it became quite a common stroke in the last decade or so.

And in the past ten years no WTA player used the shot more than Lindsay Davenport. After the knee injury she reversed at least 50% of her forehands.

We will agree to disagree on this one. I do realise that Sampras was someone who did hit reverse forehands but when you think of Sampras the first thought is usually his serve (and volleys). That doesnt mean he didnt have a great forehand, it just means that it wasnt the star of the show in his game (although his FH was the wing which he could produce winners more easily off of). Now for Nadal, its basically a signature shot, because he has taken it to a new level, getting such severe topspin as well as side spin (corkscrewing the ball sometimes).

With Davenport, I also realise she used this shot alot (as I said in my previous post) but Davenport was an offensive player, who rarely survived defensive rallys that lasted a while. The reverse forehand is usually most effective when being pulled very far out wide, which is something that more defensive players like Capriati and Kim did more often and more successfully, atleast in my opinion.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Obviously Caro's - the way she slaps it like she's fending off an attacker with a frying pan is a sight to behold.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Obviously Caro's - the way she slaps it like she's fending off an attacker with a frying pan is a sight to behold.

All that takeback and loopyness and yet she gets no conviction out of it.... poor girl. Its like where is all that effort going? (because it doesnt look like its being transfered into the ball too well)

vozas
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I don't get the Goerges vote either. All that bizarre flourishing she does with her arm, where she looks like she's rounding up cattle.

Not pretty.

:lol::lol::lol:

Good one :P

vozas
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:54 AM
All that takeback and loopyness and yet she gets no conviction out of it.... poor girl. Its like where is all that effort going? (because it doesnt look like its being transfered into the ball too well)

I think it's the grip. I can't really tell what's wrong with that mess of a shot but it's probably a mix of a bunch of things. She barely rotates her waist and it seems like most of the pace is being generated by her arm rather than her entire body. Also she gets her feet all wrong. A shame cause her backhand is marvelous. Not pretty, but real effective.

Calvin M.
Dec 20th, 2011, 05:18 PM
http://www.tennisserver.com/turbo/images/99pilotpen/LindsayDavenport4.jpg

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Ltu3zeFqQ&feature=related
:sad: "lacking motivation to return" That damn Stephenak......

That ROS on the FH wing (and even on the BH wing as well) was just KILLER, one of the best ive ever seen.

And Ana has a nice FH? Id like to see her boss Serena around with it like Vaidisova was capable of.

Bismarck.
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM

That ROS on the FH wing (and even on the BH wing as well) was just KILLER, one of the best ive ever seen.

:spit: Are you thinking of the right Vaidisova? On the ROS, 7 times out of ten the ball would end up in the service box, in the tramlines or in the net.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
:spit: Are you thinking of the right Vaidisova? On the ROS, 7 times out of ten the ball would end up in the service box, in the tramlines or in the net.

She was still developing in my opinion, and when she was hitting well she could make most anyone's serve appear ineffective. There were countless serves from Serena which were blasted right back at her in the match I originally posted... and she is generally thought of as having the hardest serve to return.

faboozadoo15
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM

I'm :rolleyes: @ Serena arrogantly pirouetting toward the net with 1 finger in the air before even shaking hands, knowing she'd go down to JJ in the next round without a whimper. :lol:

Bismarck.
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:51 PM
She was still developing in my opinion, and when she was hitting well she could make most anyone's serve appear ineffective. There were countless serves from Serena which were blasted right back at her in the match I originally posted... and she is generally thought of as having the hardest serve to return.

That doesn't mean she hit the ball well often. The thing about Vaidisova is that YouTube highlights make her Sprem/Goerges-just-slightly-more-refined power game seem far more effective than it actually was. OK, she landed some nice forehand returns when pulled out wide in that video and some other nice FH winners when she had time to set up, but if you watch that match in full (or any other typical Vaidisova match) you'll see her dump a lot of balls into the net also because the massive cuts she took at the ball were wholly ineffective at getting back anything that was too fast, into the body or below average height.

TheDream
Dec 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I'm :rolleyes: @ Serena arrogantly pirouetting toward the net with 1 finger in the air before even shaking hands, knowing she'd go down to JJ in the next round without a whimper. :lol:

Yeah, like Maria arrogantly proclaiming to the French crowd, 'Allez, up your fucking ass,' and ended up blowing a big lead after dominating the match. :lol:

VeeJJ
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Alona :inlove: Both her strokes are beautiful.

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
That doesn't mean she hit the ball well often. The thing about Vaidisova is that YouTube highlights make her Sprem/Goerges-just-slightly-more-refined power game seem far more effective than it actually was. OK, she landed some nice forehand returns when pulled out wide in that video and some other nice FH winners when she had time to set up, but if you watch that match in full (or any other typical Vaidisova match) you'll see her dump a lot of balls into the net also because the massive cuts she took at the ball were wholly ineffective at getting back anything that was too fast, into the body or below average height.

Im not really gonna go into it deep with you, because most of the responses Ive seen from you are typically catty and aggressive in nature (basically you look for a fight).So ill respond this time and be done with it.

Vaidisova was known to be impatient, which added in with her young age (at the time) largely explains her desire to clobber the ball all the time, regardless of whether or not clobbering the ball was the right shot for the occasion.

Even knowing that, though, it still dosent take from the fact that she was a natural hitter of the ball, and Her forehand was a very pretty stroke in my opinion... which was the original point of this thread anyways Motr :rolleyes:

JCTennisFan
Dec 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, like Maria arrogantly proclaiming to the French crowd, 'Allez, up your fucking ass,' and ended up blowing a big lead after dominating the match. :lol:

Well the French crowd is infamous for being snotty and obnoxious from time to time. :shrug:

Stonerpova
Dec 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM

She said that after she blew the lead. And she never dominated the match :wavey:

Dominic
Dec 21st, 2011, 03:25 AM

:lol:

vozas
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM

This :lol::lol::lol:

Empress really humiliated her in the quarters.

thegreendestiny
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Tatiana Golovin's roundhouse forehand is pretty amazing to watch.

*JR*
Dec 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
JoLa and err, Peppermint Polly :tape: both belong on this list, IMO.

gMi-iPK_gyk

If Johanna had better footwork, she'd have much better results, methinks.

miffedmax
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM
Jo-La. :hearts:

Sabinator.
Dec 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM
Polona :worship:

toxina90
Dec 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Dulko is also a great example. I guess they should win a slam so that the beauty of their strokes could instantly be worshipped. :kiss:

Dulko's backswing is too long.

I agree she's better suited to clay, but her hard-court game isn't too shabby :lol:

sammy01
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM
I find it quite sad that when it comes to giving examples of beautiful strokes, TF seems unable to name anything but the same 5-6 players who are always mentioned in every other thread :help:
To be a bit more original, I'd say Alona Bondarenko has a beautiful forehand (as well as abackhand). Dulko is also a great example. I guess they should win a slam so that the beauty of their strokes could instantly be worshipped.

alona bondarenko's forehand is beautiful, smooth and she moves onto it so gracefully. jankovic in 2008 had a gorgeous forehand, lovely racket prep. also agree with someone who said flavia, lovely prep, smooth stroke, if only she believed in it more.

you gotta laugh at the stans of maria and ana naming them, they may be effective forehands but they aint pretty.

TheDream
Dec 22nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
alona bondarenko's forehand is beautiful, smooth and she moves onto it so gracefully. jankovic in 2008 had a gorgeous forehand, lovely racket prep. also agree with someone who said flavia, lovely prep, smooth stroke, if only she believed in it more.

you gotta laugh at the stans of maria and ana naming them, they may be effective forehands but they aint pretty.

Good points. I am getting confused between aesthetics abs effectiveness.