PDA

View Full Version : Best match of the Kournikova vs Hingis "rivalry"?

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Continuing with the best-matches-saga debate, here's a new thread about a rather one-sided rivalry.

Hingis and Kournikova met 12 times on the tour, in the span of just 4 years. Even though Hingis herself has said that this was not a rivalry (:lol: an 11-1 H2H) they had some great matches, and that doesn't take away the fact that she was Kournikova's biggest rival. It's amazing that had Hingis not been on the other side of the net, Kournikova may have won two finals, may have reached a Wimbledon final, may have reached the Chase Champs final, and so on.

Here are the highlights:

1994 Wimbledon Juniors QF

-o3CgZUCUWw

1997 Wimbledon SF

uwyUuGxuDNg

1998 Australian Open R32

IlnU3L8wnJU

1998 Berlin QF

5qGu-s75Xvc

1998 Filderstadt R16

p542F8WEQ7w

2000 Chase Championships SF

OC2sqBX11XY

Decide which one was the best!!

(PS: Many thanks to JamieOwen for all his highlights!!)

selestribe
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Difficult to decide between 1998 Australian Open and 1998 Berlin which were the best matches IMO ... but I finally picked the Australian 3-setter ; it was tough, exciting and that was good tennis.

tucker1989
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM
It's honestly criminal that Anna never won a title. She had absolutely beautiful groundstrokes.

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:28 PM
It's honestly criminal that Anna never won a title. She had absolutely beautiful groundstrokes.

unconsciously I think I was waiting for these kind of answers LOL :lol: :lol:

Ryan
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Finally a thread worthy of attention. :drool: I'd say 98 AO, 98 Filderstadt, or 00 Hamburg.

young_gunner913
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
98 Berlin QF. :oh:

Yoncé
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM
The one that Kournikova won.

petkoan
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Continuing with the best-matches-saga debate, here's a new thread about a rather one-sided rivalry.

Hingis and Kournikova met 12 times on the tour, in the span of just 4 years. Even though Hingis herself has said that this was not a rivalry (:lol: an 11-1 H2H) they had some great matches, and that doesn't take away the fact that she was Kournikova's biggest rival. It's amazing that had Hingis not been on the other side of the net, Kournikova may have won two finals, may have reached a Wimbledon final, may have reached the Chase Champs final, and so on.

Interesting point of which I never thought of

mauresmofan
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM
What a shame she never won a title - she was always in the mix with the biggest players - had she have taken a step down to a smaller tournament and won it a lot of pressure would have been off her shoulders.

Pops Maellard
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
The one that Kournikova won.
This :yeah:.

Smitten
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:02 AM
No surprise. The same pressed posters in here. Kournikova's insignificant victory over Legend means nothing.

Vespertine69
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I sortof failed the challenge and voted for the one I remembered most fondly... the Wimbly SF... I was rooting for Anna really hard and actually she played nice tennis, just Hingis was viciously ruthless as ever.

We say it all the time, but of course, Kournikova really should have achieved more concrete results in singles. The talent was there to do more, pity about the circumstances.

hingisGOAT
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I agree that the Wimby 97 match was the best... lots of winners everywhere, great net play, true grass-court tennis. And both players were so young with so much potential... sigh. It was a close match, despite the seemingly lopsided scoreline.

vozas
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
What rivalry? Legend always won

Brad[le]y.
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM
What rivalry? Legend always won

:worship:

Keep em pressed Martina :kiss:

barmaid
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Martina when asked that question by a sports announcer answered, "What rivalry, I win every time":worship::rolleyes: Yes, of course the stats show that but just the same Anna did give her some "anxious" moments she did possess harder and more accurate ground strokes at times but Martina was far more consistent in very department!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

Sombrerero loco
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
hilton head 99 final =)

vozas
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Martina when asked that question by a sports announcer answered, "What rivalry, I win every time":worship::rolleyes:

Legendary quotes :worship::worship::worship:

theseekers
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Graf-Hingis-Agassi-and-Ivanisevic-set-for-Taipei-exhibition-articolo2623.html

hingis will playing against graf this 26 may 2012 ,

*JR*
Dec 20th, 2011, 01:12 AM
The War of the Roses (etc) in the lockerroom, of course:

Who: Martina Hingis versus Anna Kournikova

When: During and after an exhibition match in Santiago, Chile (won by Kournikova, 6–4, 6–4), on November 28, 2000

What went down: After a dispute over a line call, Hingis made Kournikova cry on the court, declaring, “Do you think you are the queen? Because I am the real queen!” In the locker room, the players threw trophies and vases of flowers at each other.

What makes it special: (1) They were doubles partners at the time. (2) Kournikova actually won. :eek:

Read More http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200603/top-5-fights#ixzz1h2L1xZwP

geoepee
Dec 20th, 2011, 03:39 AM

When: During and after an exhibition match in Santiago, Chile (won by Kournikova, 6–4, 6–4), on November 28, 2000

What went down: After a dispute over a line call, Hingis made Kournikova cry on the court, declaring, “Do you think you are the queen? Because I am the real queen!” In the locker room, the players threw trophies and vases of flowers at each other.

What makes it special: (1) They were doubles partners at the time. (2) Kournikova actually won. :eek:

thank you for reminding me of this! :D i remember when this went down...

PerfectForm
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
That match is on youtube! Which game/set did that happen?

Pops Maellard
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM

That's why I can't like Martina. She has some funny quotes but she was/is a grade-A bitch.

Emina.
Dec 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Berlin QF obviously

SpanishSuenos
Dec 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Is this on youtube??
Can you give some links to this??

young_gunner913
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM

:spit: This just goes to show how inflated Urban Myth's ego was.

geoepee
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Here's another article with more on what happened between Hingis and Kournikova...when egos and jealousy (from both sides) collide...

In November, the tennis-starved citizenry of Santiago, Chile, showed up expecting to watch a benign hour of net showmanship featuring Hingis, the No. 1-ranked player in women's tennis, and Kournikova, reputedly the most downloaded pinup in any realm. Players call these quick-cash exhibitions "hit-and-giggle shows." So why was Kournikova weeping?

A close call had gone against Hingis. She appealed to Kournikova, this being a friendly match. Kournikova agreed with the line judge. During the next changeover, Hingis was reportedly livid. "Do you think you are the queen?" she seethed. "Because I am the queen!"

Hingis, an intelligent and curious Czech native, enjoys the spotlight but is saddled with a toxic public image because she's blisteringly blunt. She famously blasted her 1999 Australian Open finals opponent, Amélie Mauresmo, a lesbian, as "half a man." Hingis jettisoned one doubles partner, Jana Novotna, by calling the 30-year-old "too old and slow"; Novotna responded that Hingis was "stupid." Hingis has also shared her frank estimation of Kournikova the singles player. "I've always been better," Hingis said, "and I beat her at the great tournaments."

Kournikova's reply? "You may be No. 1, but I'm more marketable than you."

Just two weeks before, Hingis and Kournikova teamed to win the doubles at Madison Square Garden in the Chase Championships. But in Chile, Hingis was chafing from close, prolonged exposure to the cult of Kournikova. The pouty blonde treats most of the women on the tour with haughty disdain and has often withdrawn from matches with dubious injuries. And last year she earned fifteen times more money from endorsements than she did from tennis.

In the locker room, Kournikova and Hingis screamed at each other. Vases, flowers, and trophies went airborne. "It was so bad," said Jaime Fillol, who ran the event, "I thought they were going to beat each other up." The only injury, however, was to the doubles partnership; Hingis dumped Kournikova for Seles -- until early August. At the U.S. Open, Kournikova and Hingis plan to resume taking out their anger on doubles opponents.

Riot girls - http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/sports/features/5107/

Ryan
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
:spit: This just goes to show how inflated Urban Myth's ego was.

At least she doesn't harass officials and act like a Grade-A bully. :drool:

young_gunner913
Dec 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
At least she doesn't harass officials and act like a Grade-A bully. :drool:

Yeah, she just bullies other players. :lol: Grade-C Bully I say. C for cocaine. :oh: