PDA

View Full Version : Flavia Pennetta releases her autobiography

hankqq
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not a fan, but saw this in the tennis ticker headlines. It actually sounds like a good read :shrug: Moya will come off looking like a jerk, and Pennetta talks about some wta players too. It's been a busy month for Pennetta in the headlines, as this book release comes just a couple weeks after the story about the accidental death of a worker at the family farm, and her mother's 1 year sentence in prison for it.

Pennetta takes on heartbreak in new book

December 18, 2011
Italy’s Flavia Pennetta releases a new autobiography Dritto al Cuore (Straight to the Heart) where she takes on variety of subjects, including her busted romance with former Roland Garros champion and longtime boyfriend Carlos Moya, whom she thought she was going to marry.

Pennetta discusses the heartbreak she went through after she discovered that he was having affair with Spanish TV presenter Carolina Cerezuela (who is now the mother of Moya’s child). Pennetta said that she lost 10 pounds, felt herself melting in the public spotlight and later discovered that she completely lost her sense of self in the relationship.

"I put everything aside to support him," she said. "If you count the times I did it, probably the number is in itself ridiculous. My passion was him, I gave myself completely, and I lost my balance …People felt sorry for me and I could not even defend myself. It was as if I had lost my taste for things. I was trying to be numb towards life, not to feel pain. I did not even feel physical [pain]. A silly example: even when I was waxing, I did not even feel anything."

Pennetta also discusses a number of WTA players, including Venus Williams whom she says is "scary, stronger than anyone else. A legend. A wall." She also mentions that it disturbs her that when Jelena Jankovic enters the court she "wears make up, perfect hair and perfume. When she leaves, she's the same." She says that unlike former No. 1 Ana Ivanovic, she did not have the results of those who "quit everything for tennis. Will she be able to handle it when she finds out that there’s more to life? I doubt it." Pennetta, who realized her dream by cracking the top 10 for the first time last year, also added that she once challenged the ‘unsportsmanlike’ Anastasia Rodionova to fight during a doubles match.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=15422&zoneid=25

Sammo
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
The sad thing is that Moya is ugly :shrug:

MLF
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Rodionova rears her head again, lol. Would like to know more on that story,lol.

Flavia has always been very respectful of Venus.

I'd like to read this autobiography but it's probably a few years too early and I doubt there's an English edition.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
she will be talking about her sex experiences? :oh:

nevetssllim
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Rodionova :lol:

Mynarco
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
accidental death of a worker at the family farm, and her mother's 1 year sentence in prison for it. :eek: WOW

Rodionova is featured once again :lol:

Kworb
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Of course she would praise the Slam champion she owns in the H2H. :oh:

Dragging Ivanovic :haha: and Jankovic :sad:

Mynarco
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I'm surprised she didn't mention her feeling when she knew Schiavone...

oh well..never mind...

hankqq
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
accidental death of a worker at the family farm, and her mother's 1 year sentence in prison for it. :eek: WOW

Yeah it sounds like it was just a terrible accident and she's liable for it because it happened on her farm.

Pennetta's mother convicted of crime after farm accidentTicker - Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Flavia Pennetta (http://www.tennis.com/players/player_info.aspx?player_name=Flavia+Pennetta)’s mother, Concetta, has been sentenced to one year in prison for an involuntary manslaughter charge stemming from a fuel explosion incident at the family’s farm. Pennetta and another man who worked on the farm were also ordered to pay 150,000 Euros to the victim's family. Apparently, the victim died when two fuel trucks exploded at the farm while he was in one of them. Italian newspapers say that Concetta Pennetta will appeal the verdict. In Italy, people do not generally go to prison for sentences of less than two years.
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=15325&zoneid=6

Mistress of Evil
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
She is not even retired yet. :o Why is it needed to release an autobiography??? But then again Justin Bieber has one and he is basically a toddler so, good for her. :shrug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:40 PM
She is not even retired yet. :o Why is it needed to release an autobiography??? But then again Justin Bieber has one and he is basically a toddler so, good for her. :shrug:

yeah, I'm kind of like :rolleyes: when many still yet to be accomplished players/artists already came out with their autobiography, especially when they're still active in the business.:o

Ferg
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Like already mentioned here, I never understand why sportspeople publish autobiographies before their career is over... it looks like they're just selling themselves out looking for more money.

Ian Aberdon
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I am presuming this is Volume 1.

bobito
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM
One of these days some player is going to punch Rodionova during a match, get banned for it and the other players will go on strike in protest at the ban.

sammy01
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:16 PM
well the world is fickle, the only thing that makes flavia relevant is tennis, when she retires she will basically be a nobody (i don't mean that disrespectfully). it is like patty, who will care if she ever releases that book in a few years time when a new crop of players she never had the chance to piss off are at the top of the game.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
She better give us the size guide for ATP !

benbest
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
what's the story behind Pennetta/Rodionova?

Break My Rapture
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Yay more info on her sex life and things we already know about the Tour. :lol:

Zamboni
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
what's the story behind Pennetta/Rodionova?
She doesn't even say it's Rodionova. She said it was in a match against Black/Rodionova and "one of them" called Flavia/Gisela (I don't know exactly. Didn't read that part yet) a fucking bitch and Flavia went crazy:lol:
Everyone just assumes it's Rodionova:rolls:

I'm usually not too fond of autobiographies, but this is actually very readable. Flavia's a good storyteller and this just totally sounds like her.
It's a mix of amusing anecdotes and good insight in/thoughts about like as a pro athlete.

edificio
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
The sad thing is that Moya is ugly :shrug:

No. The sad thing is that you are ugly...inside. :shrug:

Otherwise...this book could be quite amusing.

vixter
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
yeah, I'm kind of like :rolleyes: when many still yet to be accomplished players/artists already came out with their autobiography, especially when they're still active in the business.:o

She is surely not "yet to be accomplished" (not all players can win slams), but yeah she's still active that's true... But I guess she just has a lot on her heart that she feels the world could do knowing about. Nice for us. :)

vixter
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
She better give us the size guide for ATP !

From what I heard Hewitt is the number 1 :hearts::lick:

bobito
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM

I think you might be confusing "is a big dick" for "has a big dick".

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM

He seems quite energetic too.. no wonder the Kim fell for him (jealous).

vixter
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think you might be confusing "is a big dick" for "has a big dick".

Haha!

Both can be true...:lick:

He seems quite energetic too.. no wonder the Kim fell for him (jealous).

I know right I'm also jealous of the Kim...:)

Matt-TennisFan24
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM
From tennis.com:

PENNETTA TAKES ON HEARTBREAK IN NEW BOOK
Italy’s Flavia Pennetta releases a new autobiography Dritto al Cuore (Straight to the Heart) where she takes on variety of subjects, including her busted romance with former Roland Garros champion and longtime boyfriend Carlos Moya, whom she thought she was going to marry.

Pennetta discusses the heartbreak she went through after she discovered that he was having affair with Spanish TV presenter Carolina Cerezuela (who is now the mother of Moya’s child). Pennetta said that she lost 10 pounds, felt herself melting in the public spotlight and later discovered that she completely lost her sense of self in the relationship.

"I put everything aside to support him," she said. "If you count the times I did it, probably the number is in itself ridiculous. My passion was him, I gave myself completely, and I lost my balance …People felt sorry for me and I could not even defend myself. It was as if I had lost my taste for things. I was trying to be numb towards life, not to feel pain. I did not even feel physical [pain]. A silly example: even when I was waxing, I did not even feel anything."

Pennetta also discusses a number of WTA players, including Venus Williams whom she says is "scary, stronger than anyone else. A legend. A wall." The Twitter account of @enricomariariva says she also mentions that it disturbs her that when Jelena Jankovic enters the court she "wears make up, perfect hair and perfume. When she leaves, she's the same." She says that unlike former No. 1 Ana Ivanovic, she did not have the results of those who "quit everything for tennis. Will she be able to handle it when she finds out that there’s more to life? I doubt it."

Pennetta, who realized her dream by cracking the Top 10 for the first time last year, also added that she once challenged the ‘unsportsmanlike’ Anastasia Rodionova to fight during a doubles match.

EDIT: New quotes I found!
"I have a relationship that is consolidating, with someone I've known for a long time. But I am not even making it public. But I realized that I want a man to complete me, without phagocytating me. When a woman falls in love, she tends to "get lost", to completely follow his companion. Times have changed, but we are still so, we are too generous. I was not there anymore. I don't want to commit this error. At the risk of sounding a bit today, 'bitch'."
"Gisela Dulko and I we were both abandoned just a few months later, two media players and too beautiful. We suffered at the same time, we talked for hours and then we decided that it was time to laugh. And we decided to play doubles, winning also the first place in the world. She has now found a new love, got married and is happy"
(From Google Translate, so sorry if it's not perfectly translated)

This is so interesting!

Who would've thought her relationship with Moya was that intimate? I thought it was just sex ;)

And LOL at her quotes about JJ. We know that is so true....

And why, why didn't she fight with Rodionova? It would've been amazing and she would've given her a lesson :bounce:

TheHangover
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM
flavia is the TennisForum queen of the off season this year

dsanders06
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Seriously, who in the world is going to buy this autobiography? :lol:

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
So was she saying JJ won't be able to handle post-tennis life or Ana? I don't get the wording there.

Madoka
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:01 AM
i did.

-_-

Excelscior
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:08 AM

I was thinking the same thing. But then again, there's always the Italian People to sell to.

Maybe she just wanted to get it out/express herself either way (regardless)?

Lol

Vespertine69
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM

Poor Pennetta! She's not exactly an unknown figure, and people (everyday people, who are not at all previously famous) can achieve good sales on autobiographical stuff if it is good enough regardless of who would buy it simply because they know the author.

I think it's good and sounds pretty interesting! Afterall, people are always harping on about tennis players being boring and staid these days.

Curtos07
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:45 AM
So was she saying JJ won't be able to handle post-tennis life or Ana? I don't get the wording there.

Ana. Here's the original tweet from @enricomariariva who has been translating the book:

Pennetta: "I didn't have the results of those who quit everything 4tennis, e.g. Ivanovic. Will she be able to handle it when she'll find out that there is other in life?I doubt it

This just further proves Ana's haters wrong when they say crap like Ana is too distracted by off court stuff like photo shoots when in reality, she probably thinks too much about tennis and is one of the hardest workers in the game, according to people who are actually in the business.

young_gunner913
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hopefully Rodionova reads this and they meet at the AO. :drool:

ZODIAC
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM
she must have been deeply in love with Moya....he must be very good in bed.

brickhousesupporter
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:03 AM
JJ wears make up on the court. I thought make up was supposed to make you look better.........is that the better looking Jankovic that we see on the court?

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:19 AM
She needs something sensational in there for the book to sell. Maybe stories about a threesome with Myskina and Justine.

KBlade
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:48 AM
She needs something sensational in there for the book to sell. Maybe stories about a threesome with Myskina and Justine.

Random comment here, but your avatar / signature is the best :inlove:

Jane Lane
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Speak for yourselves. I wish the book was in English. @enricomariariva has been translating/tweeting some great bits.

"Pierce is powerful. She is not much taller then me but she is so muscular that she looks like Popeye"

"Shaughnessy is more like a running train than a tennis player. Davenport is a mountain.She doesn't move but destroy every defence"

"I love when journalists make up love affairs.They wrote I'd a story with Nadal, Bolelli, Ferrero, Melo, Valentino Rossi. Nonsense"

"I don't understand why people care so much if the female players have boyfriends. Nobody asks Murray if he has a girlfriend"

"I wish I found a man that respects himself, with his own life, his own interests. Not too asshole, not too incline to cuddle"

"I play double with Dulko.We're like Lampwick and the Blue Fairy.I scream and get angry all the time, she's always smiley and calm"

Re. Rodionova: "In Cincinnati vs Black/Rodionova. There is a fight btw Dulko and the other 2, I go 2 the net and one of them [Flavia doesn't say who] calls me Fucking bitch. I start behaving like a bully, shouting at the net "come here if you have the guts!""

Come on, it's great theater! :hysteric:

moby
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I don't think Ana has the results of one who quits everything for tennis either. :oh:

Holdsworth
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Flav is right.. Jelena is perfect :worship:

Drake1980
Dec 19th, 2011, 02:34 AM
:hearts:

tennisbum79
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Tennis covers several countries.

I believe you are in the US, you don't know what the Italian/Spanish public think about the book.

miffedmax
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I want quotes on her other famous doubles partner, the one who used to have bangs.

dynamoRockstarr
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Jelena is too much lol.

tennisbum79
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I want quotes on her other famous doubles partner, the one who used to have bangs.
She is a marketing genius... you have to buy the book to find out.

dsanders06 did not foresee this

keithb1961
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM
A silly example: even when I was waxing, I did not even feel anything."
Waxing what? :lol:

GAGAlady
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Panneta is hilarious !!!

GAGAlady
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Jelena is talented but she thinks she is miss Serbia and heading to the beauty pageant every match
Lol

Smitten
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:25 AM
What a local.

Lord Choc Ice
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Ana. Here's the original tweet from @enricomariariva who has been translating the book:

This just further proves Ana's haters wrong when they say crap like Ana is too distracted by off court stuff like photo shoots when in reality, she probably thinks too much about tennis and is one of the hardest workers in the game, according to people who are actually in the business.

I never got that feeling with Ana :lol:. She seems perfectly content doing non-tennis things the past few years. She even parties (well, she did with Gulbis once, not sure how often :oh:).

Fantasy Hero
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM

me and it was an amazing read :shrug:

Chakvenus
Dec 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just ordered it! Can't wait! Always loved Flavia's humor and charisma.

everythingtaboo
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Me. Well, if it was in English. Flavs :hearts:

Fantasy Hero
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
"for this reason you don't have to focus of the result, but only on your game: the result is the consequence. it's really hard, but if you stop thinking that you are close to your goal, it gets further. You are close and you leave open space to all the fears and to the possibility that you are not ready for a win of that kind, and that pushes you backwards, to the back court, rigid, hitting softly hoping for your opponent to make errors.
so what do you have to do to? Your goal must be to improve as a player. Do you want to win the AO? right, but you are not the only one! Don't look at the desire of winning, build the road for it instead: what do you lack? Where can you improve? "which tecnical, mental, physical aspects can you better?" "

page 97...such an amazing passage

Jane Lane
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
"for this reason you don't have to focus of the result, but only on your game: the result is the consequence. it's really hard, but if you stop thinking that you are close to your goal, it gets further. You are close and you leave open space to all the fears and to the possibility that you are not ready for a win of that kind, and that pushes you backwards, to the back court, rigid, hitting softly hoping for your opponent to make errors.
so what do you have to do to? Your goal must be to improve as a player. Do you want to win the AO? right, but you are not the only one! Don't look at the desire of winning, build the road for it instead: what do you lack? Where can you improve? "which tecnical, mental, physical aspects can you better?" "

:hearts:

Timariot
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
She is not even retired yet. :o Why is it needed to release an autobiography???

Middling players will be usually quickly forgotten after they retire. If they want their books to sell, they'll release them whilst they are still active.

Number19
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Middling players will be usually quickly forgotten after they retire. If they want their books to sell, they'll release them whilst they are still active.

It's not even that - Nadal just released one earlier in the year. But its about releasing one while you are still in the spotlight, and that goes for any profession it seems, as someone mentioned Bieber before. So, unless you'resitting on some bomb and have to wait until you retire, ie Agassi, you strike while the iron is hot.

Betten
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
It's not even that - Nadal just released one earlier in the year. But its about releasing one while you are still in the spotlight, and that goes for any profession it seems, as someone mentioned Bieber before. So, unless you'resitting on some bomb and have to wait until you retire, ie Agassi, you strike while the iron is hot.

True. Navratilova and Seles released autobiographies during their career, and Tauziat wrote a book on her life on the tour a few years before she retired. Evert even discussed her marriage in Lloyd on Lloyd.

Ian Aberdon
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Quote: "I have a relationship that is consolidating, with someone I've known for a long time. But I am not even making it public. But I realized that I want a man to complete me, without phagocytating me."

Sounds painful!! :lol:

Mynarco
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
For some reason I don't prefer reading autobiography in translated language because I always believe nuances of words in the original language are lost when translated into English. But I'll give it a try. She's quite an interesting player I should say

Madoka
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
i just finished reading the book, very easy to read.

it's an enjoyable book...

King Halep
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM

at least she talks like a champion :worship:

King Halep
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM

Italy's greatest doubles player