PDA

View Full Version : Hey, guys, the ladies' tennis season is NOT over!

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:21 PM
:wavey: Come one, come all! Please join us fanatics in the Challenger Forum! Discover exciting new faves from exotic lands! Root for players ranked 750! Go delirious with joy when a fave hits the top 200! Cheer on girls as they advance from the $10K to the $25K level! Weep when your fave falls to 0.5 ranking points! Pick out the stars of 2006! :D

Once you start following these exceptional players, you will be so hooked that "Millionaire Tennis" :p will lose its shiny glow for you!

I promise the full gamut of fan emotions to those who start to follow the Challengers. And in that happy Forum, the word "haters" is never seen! :)

EVERYONE is invited. Welcome aboard! :wavey:

Beat
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:35 PM
now this was what i call an enthusiastic post! :)

LeonHart
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:45 PM
:D

GoDominique
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I totally agree. :D

And let's not forget the fabulous BAGEL GIRLS ! :bounce:

There's an exciting 1st round encounter in Florianopolis: Milena Araujo vs. Ariela Primo ! (it's like Nancy vs. Dewonder ;))

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:01 PM
I think I'm done for now.

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the tip, GoDominique!! :) My fave for that event, Brazilian 15-year-old Bruna Paes, already lost in the qualies. :(

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:01 PM
stick a fork in me...:p but enjoy yourself janie girl. those players ranked in the 1000000's truly appreciate your support...;) ;)

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:03 PM
LOL -- am pretty sure the rankings don't go up into the millions, though! ;)

salima
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:12 PM
To follow sport is much depending of emotion. I have my own favourites in the Challenger tournaments, and I got realy happy if the do well. I have even seen girls from my own icy shores there!

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
:)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:22 PM
I admire your enthusiasm ;)

I might just join you one of these days.

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Great! Lots of Canadians out there!! :) :) :)

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Pattaya City: Countdown Time

Pattaya City isn't automatically the end of the year for most of the women playing here. There will be Challengers played for another month, and the majority of the players in this field -- which included 23 players ranked below #80 -- spend at least part of their year in Challengers.

But all of the players in the quarterfinal were hoping for better things. Tatiana Panova, the #1 seed, has dreams of the Top 20 next year, and #2 seed Tamarine Tanasugarn was there for much of this year. Lina Krasnoroutskaya was Top 40 early this year, and Silvija Talaja was around #20 for much of the year in 2000. Shinobu Asagoe has Top 50 credentials. Pattaya could be a source of new hope -- or a graveyard.

For Tanasugarn, somehow, it seems to be pretty good at graveyard-dom. She's Thailand's top player, and has been a high seed here many times -- but it's just never worked out. So too this time. She lost 6-4 6-2 to Yoon-Jeong Cho, who at 23 is only now struggling her way into the Top 100.

Asagoe, now 26, seemed to be turning into a real prospect a couple of years ago. Since then, she's struggled with injuries and bad form; it took a quarterfinal here just to get her back into the Top 100. But then she ran into a current top prospect: 17-year-old Angelique Widjaja, who hasn't done much at big events since her Junior Wimbledon championship, but who won Bali last year on Asian hardcourts. Her Pacific Prospects continued to look good as she edged Asagoe 3-6 7-5 6-4.

#1 seed Panova didn't have much trouble beating #6 Adriana Serra Zanetti 7-5 7-5, but the other seed in action, #8 Talaja, had the bad luck to run into the other top prospect, Krasnoroutskaya. She lost 6-3 6-2.

The semifinals were, well, strange. The sure thing seemed to be Krasnoroutskaya, the top prospect, over Cho, the veteran. But it was Cho who made her first career final 6-4 7-6. Asagoe and Panova, fittingly, had a tougher battle, but it was Widjaja who advanced 2-6 6-1 6-3. That means Panova will end the year at #24 -- the same ranking she had at the start of the tournament.

The final at last brought Cho down to earth. She lost to Widjaja 6-2 6-4. Widjaja now has two career titles, both on Asian hardcourts. She'll move from #91 to about #75.

And since it wouldn't be Daily Tennis without a goofball footnote: Widjaja becomes the twenty-eighth, and obviously last, player to win a tournament this year without beating a single Top 20 player. The previous instances: Smashnova at Auckland, Smashnova at Canberra, Sucha at Hobart, Seles at Doha, Raymond at Memphis, Zuluaga at Bogota, Srebotnik at Acapulco, Montolio at Porto, Dokic at Sarasota, Serna at Estoril, Muller at Budapest, Svensson at Bol, Bovina at Warsaw, Seles at Madrid, Mikaelian at Tashkent, Dokic at Birmingham, Casanova at Brussels, Diaz-Oliva at Palermo, Wartusch at Casablanca, Safina at Sopot, Kuznetsova at Helsinki, Smashnova at Shanghai, Black at Big Island, Bovina at Quebec City, Kuznetsova at Bali, Craybas at the Japan Open, and Matevzic at Bratislava.

The doubles saw an even greater surprise: Kelly Liggan, who last year was the doormat of the WTA Tour but who this year is actually posting some wins at small events, brought home a title. She and Renata Voracova beat Krasnoroutskaya and Panova 7-5 7-6.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:40 PM
It's nice to know they are somewhere in the woods :D

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Thanks, TC! Good old Bob Larson! :)

Monica_Rules
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Great post the challanger circuit is still exciting!

mn73
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Doormat - charming!

Looks like Seles and Dokic both won their titles this year without winning against Top 20 opposition - get Jen to those events next year please!!!

And Janie - Monique Viele finishes this year with earnings of $50!!! :) And I thought I didn't earn a lot!!! Bless her!

auntie janie
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Oh no!
I guess the IRS won't be asking her for an audit, anyway! :)

sartrista7
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Nice thread :D

The ladies on the Challenger circuit need more recognition for their efforts... and more people need to learn the excitement of following them as they try to crack the top 200. Great post, janie!

Eric_tennis
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Nice thread, indeed! :D

Colin B
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Someone could start a 'adopt a challenger girl' thread (although perhaps not - things could turn nasty)

I'll adopt Jane O'Donoghue ;)

the cat
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Janie, I admire your enthusiasm for women's tennis! But don't you need to step away from tennis for a few weeks to recharge your batteries next year? Or are you the the Energizer Bunny of WTA World? ;)

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Cat, I am DEFINITELY ready for a break for the usual suspects on the WTA Tour, even from my own faves! :o

Who doesn't grow weary of the same old stories --

that player who is cranky;
the one who is perky;
the ones with the Mad Dads;
the one who would do so well if only she would really get fit;
the oh-so-normal one;
the one with no-titles-but-it-is-not-her-fault;
the one who refuses to hire a traveling coach;
the successful but mentally fragile one;
the large group who are "definitely headed for the top 10";
the declining older ones;
the one who we barely saw all year but who reached the French Open quarters!

The Challengers brings us a whole new, colorful cast of varied characters. And they are not demanding; they are not stuck-up. They've got a hard job and they've got eternal hope! And I admire them all. :)

Thanks for the positive feedback on this thread, everyone! :)

And I in turn owe a great big THANKS :D to the enthusiasts on the Challenger Forum of this board, who slowly and inexorably, with their ongoing, enthusiastic posts about EVERY SINGLE CHALLENGER PLAYER ON THIS PLANET, drew me into the hidden, but very refreshing, world of Challenger tennis!!! :kiss:

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:43 AM
damn! you sure know how to describe Anna...:p

the cat
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Anna, TC? :confused:

Mattographer
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Please come and supporting Rachel McQuillan at Port Pirie!! :p

auntie janie
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Okay! I'm there! :)

tennischick
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by the cat
Anna, TC? :confused:

just kidding Cat. that's what :p usually means, no???

the cat
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:15 AM
TC, I'm just pulling your leg! ;) Oh, how I'd really like to! :hearts:

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Salima wrote:
To follow sport is much depending of emotion. I have my own favourites in the Challenger tournaments, and I got realy happy if the do well. I have even seen girls from my own icy shores there!

So how is Ina Sartz doing? :D

Janie: I'd bet that for many of the qualities you mentioned, there are players in the Challengers who display those qualities. We just don't see it writ as large as with the top stars of the WTA Tour.

TS
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Great post janie!!!

Right now Im enjoying following the Aussie challengers, good to see most of my fave 'local' girls in action :)

Scotso
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:02 AM
You go, Janie! :D

:bounce: Melissa Torres :bounce:

Jordan.
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Go Marion Bartoli! :D

rated_next
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Challenger tournaments are really exciting ... this is where it all begins :)

salima
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Ted of Teds Tennis wrote:
So how is Ina Sartz doing?

Ina is now # 1 in Norway as Amy Jønson only plays in local tournaments and Caroline Thiedeman has retired. Ina played last time in Barcelona and Stockholm, but without sucsess. She did well in 2002, and I am pretty sure she will climb in the rankings if she continue to do her homework.

Jordan.
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:55 AM
I loved your post, BTW, janie! :kiss:

matthias
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Challenger Forum is my Favorit Forum
hopefully my Darling Bianka Lamade will be back next week at the Deauville 25K Challenger
my other Darling - Madita Suer is playing the australian challenger tour
so, i will not be bored the next few weeks :bounce: