PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better player, Maria Kirilenko or Dominika Cibulkova?

Julian.
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:53 AM
These 2 young beauties have been members of WTA Top 30, even Top 20 for basically almost their entire career so far but haven't managed to break into the Top 10 yet. Who do you think is the better player? Do you think they will break into the Top 10 one day? :awww:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Domi definitely has better achievements. Better player? Makiri then.:lol:

Mistress of Evil
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:05 AM
You love Cibulkova - my vote goes to Ms Kirilenko!

Julian.
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
You love Cibulkova - my vote goes to Ms Kirilenko!

I like Kirilenko too :spit:

Yoncé
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Tough call, I was about to go for Kiri then I remembered Domi's RG SF :lol:

Pops Maellard
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Domi has better slam results and a higher career-high rank. Kiri has more titles (though none since 2008). Edge to Domi.

Plus Domi snatched Caro's wig twice this year :hearts:.

Holdsworth
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I think, Kiri is a little bit more talented player (and more various), Domi is mentally stronger... i voted for Domi

Edith09
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Domi, RG semi. But I like Makiri too.

JamieOwen3
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think currently Kirilenko is the better player :shrug: Maria took Serena 2 three sets in stanford, had that classic that she lost but played great at the US Open against Sam, she then went on to beat Sam twice afterwards in consecutive weeks. Domi is the type of player who can be on fire one match then play like my nan in a wheelchair the next. Maria is also more consistent i think which is why i vote her.

JamieOwen3
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:58 AM
It says who is the better player not who's had the better slam result. Maria has had tough luck with slam draws where as Domi beat a Beyond tired Sharapova in the 2009 RG QF. And that SF showing was 2 and a half years ago now.

Pump-it-UP
Dec 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Kiri. The "new" Cibulkova is better on grass, but that's it.

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Definitely Cibulkova cause of her achievements. She was a point away from double bageling Maria at RG :sobbing::hysteric:. And she reached Wimbledon QF :shrug:.

Kirilenko is a pusher.

Bismarck.
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Cibulkova. Better winning % against top 10 players, a game that's more threatening and translates better to all the surfaces and better GS results/ranking.

Drimal
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Cibulkova. Better winning % against top 10 players, a game that's more threatening and translates better to all the surfaces and better GS results/ranking.

Yes, she's more of a threat to top players than Kirilenko.

Domi has to work on her consistency though.

dsanders06
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Cibulkova, but both are mediocre and will probably never even crack the top 10.

Julian.
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cibulkova, but both are mediocre and will probably never even crack the top 10.

I think Domi has a decent shot if she works on her consistency :p She was ranked world #12 once before.

I think Kirilenko is the more consistent of the two. But Domi can achieve bigger results, but she can also randomly lost in the 1R. :lol:

Julian.
Dec 19th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Kirilenko is a pusher.

I don't think so :lol:

Smitten
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:20 AM
How does KIRILENKO have ANY votes? That useless ass game.

All that grunting and loud noise to hit a shot that lands on the service line with gobs of spin. What does she do well? What are her weapons? Her strokes are absolutely useless.

She has a TAD bit of variety with her two-handed slice, and she's marginally crafty. That's it. She has no ability to hit anyone good off the court, she can't take control of rallies, she can't impose her game, she has no ability to deal with any short of potent power for more than a few shots.

I don't get how she could ever be argued over virtually anyone ranked higher than her. She's so useless.

Julian.
Dec 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM

All that grunting and loud noise to hit a shot that lands on the service line with gobs of spin. What does she do well? What are her weapons? Her strokes are absolutely useless.

She has a TAD bit of variety with her two-handed slice, and she's marginally crafty. That's it. She has no ability to hit anyone good off the court, she can't take control of rallies, she can't impose her game, she has no ability to deal with any short of potent power for more than a few shots.

I don't get how she could ever be argued over virtually anyone ranked higher than her. She's so useless.

and yet you voted for Maria Kirilenko :hysteric:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Dec 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Kirilenko is so harmless :awww: Dominika has a much better game.

and yet you voted for Maria Kirilenko :hysteric:

Get in there!

Emina.
Dec 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Maria :bounce:

Julian.
Dec 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM
50-50 now :speakles:

cowsonice
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I think currently Kirilenko is the better player :shrug: Maria took Serena 2 three sets in stanford, had that classic that she lost but played great at the US Open against Sam, she then went on to beat Sam twice afterwards in consecutive weeks. Domi is the type of player who can be on fire one match then play like my nan in a wheelchair the next. Maria is also more consistent i think which is why i vote her.

Maria is consistently top 30. :hysteric:
Her game is the epitome of vanilla.

danieln1
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Cibulkova by a mile

Kirilenko doesnt have the power to consistently challenge the top players

goldenlox
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Domi has more power, especially her forehand. Maria has an all court game, much better at net.
Right now they're ranked 18, 28, and that sounds about right.
I think Maria could be top 10, but mentally she has to maintain her level in big matches

MK Ultra
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM

:weirdo:

Have you ever said something nice to anyone ever? Have you ever watched her play? Watch her match vs Radwanska at the '09 USO or this year's 4th round of the FO against Petkovic. And her problem is that she can do everything well, she just doesn't have a shot that will give her free points. If you can't see that, than you clueless. Both Serena, Lindsay and practically every tennis commentator back me up on this.

Cibulkova by a mile

Kirilenko doesnt have the power to consistently challenge the top players

Oh yeah? Check her results against top 20 players. I think the only active player of the current top 20 she hasn't taken to 3 sets is Clijsters.

Both of your opinions are based on a superficial view of what you want to see. You can't judge Maria on one match you saw, because she plays different every match, as she's a tactical player.

Plus her game is gorgeous.:inlove::drool:

Alexj
Dec 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Watch all of the highlights of Kirilenko v. Stosur from this year & it's clear that she's better than mediocre & can be a threat to top players.

But, so far Domi has had a better career (except for # of titles :p )

King Halep
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Ci-bulk-ova is still improving

volta
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
:cool:

young_gunner913
Dec 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Kiri :cheer:

Stevecw
Dec 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Love both, but think Domi has that bit extra that makes her the better player and more likely to go deep in a slam again.

Julian.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:04 AM
YGu8t_A4OYY

Szavay #1
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Domi definitely has better achievements. Better player? Makiri then.:lol:

:yeah:

domi :hug:
makiri :hug:

StoneRose
Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Cibulkova is clearly better as is proved by achievements. Kirilenko is more model than tennis player.

Bonfire
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
tough call.
I prefer watching Maria's game.
Both players proved last season that they have a surprising amount of fight in them when their chips are down.
Watching that tiebreak against Stosur at uso makes me wanna vote Kiri,
but remembering how Domi stepped up and aggressively took that match from Caro at Wimbledon makes me wanna vote for her.
hell if I know...

Stonerpova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Cibulkova. I love watching Kirilenko play (for more than one reason :drool: ) but to me Cibulkova is a better big match player and she's posted better results in the slams. Now that she got the title monkey off her back I think she has a legitimate shot at the top 10 in the next couple years. Her height will always be an issue, but if she can improve her serve she could make that push into the elite that Kirilenko never has.

Flavia P.
Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Cibulkova is the better player, but Kirilenko has the better game, if that makes sense.

Julian.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
Cibulkova. I love watching Kirilenko play (for more than one reason :drool: ) but to me Cibulkova is a better big match player and she's posted better results in the slams. Now that she got the title monkey off her back I think she has a legitimate shot at the top 10 in the next couple years. Her height will always be an issue, but if she can improve her serve she could make that push into the elite that Kirilenko never has.

Amanda Coetzer did it in 1990s with her even a little bit smaller height, I think Domi can do it too.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
makiri, she is a great player!!

Juanes
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
hard to say, i like both :hearts:

evana
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Cibulkova is the better player, but Kirilenko has the better game, if that makes sense.

Agreed.

sfan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Kiri :D

it-girl
Dec 23rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
Cibulkova. Better winning % against top 10 players, a game that's more threatening and translates better to all the surfaces and better GS results/ranking.This pretty much sums it up.

goldenlox
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I think Maria was improving late in 2011. She lost a 3 set match to Stosur in R16 USO, then SF, QF, QF before a walkover in Luxembourg.
I expect her to continue attacking and coming forward like she did late in the year.

Whats hard to understand is the bad losses, like to Scheepers & Niculescu. She has to win those matches late in tournaments.

Smitten
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Attacking. :lol: :lol:

Julian.
Aug 29th, 2012, 04:46 AM
These 2 young beauties have been members of WTA Top 30, even Top 20 for basically almost their entire career so far but haven't managed to break into the Top 10 yet. Who do you think is the better player? Do you think they will break into the Top 10 one day? :awww:

Both of them are so close to the Top 10 now :speakles::bowdown:

Purple_Rain
Aug 29th, 2012, 05:33 AM
I think the answer was Domi when this poll was made and Maria now. Obviously there's a difference in form, but Maria seems to have taken a permanent step forward with her consistent play, and Domi's as inconsistent as ever.

tayyiba
Mar 9th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Definitely Cibulkova
Pome can challenge any top players

Shifty-Eyed Dog
Mar 9th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Cibulkova, duh.