PDA

View Full Version : Will Lucie Safarova ever live up to her potential?

Sammo
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM
So, I knew that she was good but I've been watching some highlights of her for the last couple of days and damn, peak Safarova is definately capable of winning Grand Slams.

I know it sounds a bit shocking relating Lucie Safarova to Grand Slam champion :lol: but I'm just talking about her game, not her mentality. And don't laugh cause I started supporting Sam Stosur back in 2008 when she was a scrub in singles and I saw her potential :o

Anyway, here are a couple of highlights:

ntxzQ-j5JTo
(peak Safarova appears circa 1-5 down, after 3 mins of vid)

anNC9fFi0mY

b0qzf5hupm0

Smitten
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
After seeing her lose to Schiavone in Fed Cup on clay and then Hercog at 2010 Roland Garros, I figured out everything I didn't already know about Lucie Safarova.

She's a shotmaker but not necessarily a ballstriker to me. I don't see a reason why she couldn't appear briefly in the 9-15 range. Hell, everyone else has done it.

Smitten
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
This video is absolutely hilarious. Safarova isn't even playing the best I've ever seen her, and she makes Radwanska languish in her own uselessness around the 5-5 mark.

Excelscior
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I struggled between choosing option 3 and option 5 (cause you don't want to write players off). But considering Lucie's age of 24 (and relative stagnation), I choose that she has already passed her peak.

It's not that age 24 is too old (or players can't improve). Not at all. But barring some profound later stage coaching and/or self retrospection/analysis, she appears to be making the same dumb mistakes, based off of pressure and the moment, that she's always made.

You are right. When her game is gone, she can be a menace on the court. But even with that type of game (it just doesn't happen often and long enough), at this stage, I don't see her as a future Grand Slam winner. Maybe she can sneak into the top 15 for a moment, being that she's already in the top 30 as it is.

I hope I'm wrong. Good Luck to her.

You did give good options though.

Thank You.

cowsonice
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I love Lucie. Even as a fan, I don't see her being a GS champion. :sobbing: She's a very nice fixture on the WTA and if she actually lives up to her all of potential, she could be top 10, hopefully top 5 material. She's a poor man's Kvitova; what she lacks is weight in her shots and consistent point construction & court positioning. She's got a sick curve/body serve with the leftie advantage and solid groundstrokes.

But she has stagnated sooo much. I mean her CHR is #22, reached in 2007. Her best GS results are during 2007. She's only backed up her USO 3r appearance again this year.

She's no Sam Stosur, who is a late bloomer. :tears:

(Thanks for those video links, Sammo. I was complaining the other day of how the world does not have enough Safarova highlights)