PDA

View Full Version : USTA AO WC playoff Semis: Brodsky Def Vandeweghe 6-3 3-6 9-7 who gets booed ofcourt!

flareon
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Gail :bounce: I enjoyed her two matches I am becoming a fan first I ever seen her play
Coco :o is an embaressment not shaking opponenets hand!

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
How did she manage to lose that, her service games were so easy. She looks quite large.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Congrats go out to Gail, well fought! :bounce:

It was a very entertaining match to watch right up until the net drama :oh:

sammy01
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
How did she manage to lose that, her service games were so easy. She looks quite large.

she certainly is a big girl, i think it was notts i saw her this year and she needed to get fitter then.

spiceboy
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I always knew Vandeweghe was a big time bitch...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu1feiJGWe1qddzy1.gif

Hurley
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
She shook Gail's hand (but it was a Wickmayer Slap™).

She did not shake the umpire's hand and got booed by hundreds of hard-core American tennis fans. So now NOBODY will support your haphazard career. Good call, Coco.

iPatty
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Dodo classy as ever. :hearts:

Thanks Gail.

Inger67
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Taylor is gonna get the wooden spoon award I think :hysteric:

young_gunner913
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Oh noes Coco. :sad:

Veesus
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:18 PM
:woohoo: So over this, girl. Pack it up, honey. Go back to school. You suck :o

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Omg awesome Gail :woohoo:

ZODIAC
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:45 PM
so no Coco,Oudin or Riske in Australia ...wow

Sammo
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I always knew Vandeweghe was a big time bitch...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu1feiJGWe1qddzy1.gif

+1

moodin0931
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM
See at least Oudin can still compete with these girls. :shrug:

Win the whole thing Gail! :cheer:

Jane Lane
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
What happened?

I've never seen Brodsky play, all I know is she lives/trains in this neck of the woods in Brooklyn. :lol:

Inger67
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM
so no Coco,Oudin or Riske in Australia ...wow

Aren't they all playing qualifying?

Excelscior
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
My niece had always told me/suspected that Coco Vanderweghe was a spoiled, pompous brat?

I guess this may add some credence to that assumption? Mmmhhh?

Who knows?

matthias
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Drama in national WC-playoff? :haha:
this girl has to be desperate

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
See at least Oudin can still compete with these girls. :shrug:

Win the whole thing Gail! :cheer:

melanie wouldnt be in the best four here

Nicolas
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
So, what's the story of this Brodsky girl? her bio says she's born in Ukraine

moodin0931
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
melanie wouldnt be in the best four here

Oudin still gave a good fight against Brodsky when she was 4-6 2*-4 down and Brodsky took down Coco who is in the 120's or something like that. Melanie will hopefully rebound in the qualies. :yeah:

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM
What happened?

I've never seen Brodsky play, all I know is she lives/trains in this neck of the woods in Brooklyn. :lol:

everything was calm until one line call in the third set, which was sort of off camera. dont know what else happened after that but a few games later she spoke to the umpire for a while as Brodsky was about to serve. thought Brodsky would crack first because she was very tense from having to battle to hold serve every game and she looks like a Strycova-type, slightly wild-eyed and yelling come on at opponent errors. at 6-6 she had to come back from 0-40, whereas Cocoa was cruising through her service games with her huge serve and Brodsky's returning was quite bad anyway. thought Cocoa looked untroubled until the last game when she finally made some errors and Brodsky surprisingly hit a bh winner on matchpoint, then came the slap handshake :drool:

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Oudin still gave a good fight against Brodsky when she was 4-6 2*-4 down and Brodsky took down Coco who is in the 120's or something like that. Melanie will hopefully rebound in the qualies. :yeah:

cant see Melanie qualifying if she cant beat players ranked outside 200, and she needs to lose a bit of weight

moodin0931
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
^^one or two wins in the qualies isnt out of the question :rolleyes:

Besides if Coco has a chance of qualifying so does Oudin. :p

Jane Lane
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
^^one or two wins in the qualies isnt out of the question :rolleyes:

Besides if Coco has a chance of qualifying so does Oudin. :p

But that's the thing. Coco, uhm, doesn't.

Meelis
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM

"It's always been my dream," Ms. Brodsky said before her practice session at the National Tennis Center in Flushing on Wednesday. "Ever since I was 6 we've been coming here every year. My dad's clients would always give him tickets because they knew he was so involved in my tennis. Sometimes we would even get box seats."

Mr. Brodsky's clients are not investment bankers or hedge fund managers who have financed his daughter's career. The story of the Brodskys, a Jewish family from Ukraine, is more compelling than that. When Mr. Brodsky arrived in America almost 17 years ago, he left behind his wife and infant daughter. He had $100 and a limited understanding of English. Back home, he was an accomplished competitive rower and an engineer who repaired ventilation systems. In America, he delivered pizzas. He worked for a furniture factory. Soon, he enrolled in a dog grooming school in Manhattan and took a job with Karen's for People & Pets on Lexington Avenue. In time, Mr. Brodsky obtained his own clients, and when his wife, Julia, a former gymnast, joined him in New York, he taught her the business. Gail stayed in Ukraine with her grandmother for a while longer. When the Brodskys could afford to reunite the family, Eduard reduced his clients by half and began to teach his daughter tennis.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:35 PM

She turned pro in 2008 after winning the US National 18s event and getting a WC into the US Open. It was a very poor decision--she was NOT ready yet, but she and her family had been struggling financially and the prospect of a main draw check at a Slam for singles/doubles was too enticing. She pretty much ate it for the next three years, challenger qualifying and losing at 10K's in Norway and Guadeloupe. She did win a 25K this summer and moved up over 150 spots in the rankings this year, but she is really going above and beyond this week.

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM
But that's the thing. Coco, uhm, doesn't.

she qualified last year and was probably one of the best qualifiers, dont know what her form is like now, but with her serve and power she is hard to beat. she should hope to draw a few of those little japanese. i was surprised she lost today, Brodsky was having trouble rallying with her

Shvedbarilescu
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:04 PM
"It's always been my dream," Ms. Brodsky said before her practice session at the National Tennis Center in Flushing on Wednesday. "Ever since I was 6 we've been coming here every year. My dad's clients would always give him tickets because they knew he was so involved in my tennis. Sometimes we would even get box seats."

Mr. Brodsky's clients are not investment bankers or hedge fund managers who have financed his daughter's career. The story of the Brodskys, a Jewish family from Ukraine, is more compelling than that. When Mr. Brodsky arrived in America almost 17 years ago, he left behind his wife and infant daughter. He had $100 and a limited understanding of English. Back home, he was an accomplished competitive rower and an engineer who repaired ventilation systems. In America, he delivered pizzas. He worked for a furniture factory. Soon, he enrolled in a dog grooming school in Manhattan and took a job with Karen's for People & Pets on Lexington Avenue. In time, Mr. Brodsky obtained his own clients, and when his wife, Julia, a former gymnast, joined him in New York, he taught her the business. Gail stayed in Ukraine with her grandmother for a while longer. When the Brodskys could afford to reunite the family, Eduard reduced his clients by half and began to teach his daughter tennis.

Thanks Meelis. I knew none of that. This is a great and very uplifting story. Good luck to both Gail and her dad who seems a real cool guy. :)

casholic
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM
My niece had always told me/suspected that Coco Vanderweghe was a spoiled, pompous brat?

I guess this may add some credence to that assumption? Mmmhhh?

Who knows?

Coco is anything but a pompous brat. She hates losing and I'm sure she wasn't angry at Brodsky but herself. She knows she has the game to win matches like these in straights.

TS
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Brodsky coming into her own this week? She's never really been talked about at all, so it would be great if she upstaged them all and took the wildcard.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:16 PM

Gr8 story :D Thanks for posting Meelis :cool:

Btw,, let's not be too hard on CoCo. Yes, I'm a bit disappointed in what happened. She let her emotions get in the way of good judgement. But common, It happens to almost every tennis player atleast one time in their careers. That's really all I have to say about the incident. Co :hug:

Now GL to Gail tomorrow ! I really enjoyed watching her play today. :bounce:

LadyBugLove
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:05 AM
The problem that plagues CoCo year after year is inconsistency. It really doesn't seem to be getting better. She let Gail off the hook soooo many times with sloppy returns and untimely wayward shots. It seems to stem from a lack of ability to stay focused and concentrate.

It is almost impossible to remain in the Top 100 with this problem.

ZODIAC
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I think Coco and Oudin should consider going to college because they are not progressing...

ptkten
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I saw Gail play the US Open juniors against Pavlyuchenkova in '07 and thought she had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, she hasn't had great results but I've been rooting for her ever since. It's great to see her put everything together
this week. I really like Madison as well but it would be great to see Gail win this final.

Jane Lane
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I think Coco and Oudin should consider going to college because they are not progressing...

Oudin can't because she's already turned pro and made money from sponsors. I'd assume Coco has as well, but I'm not positive.

Amalgamate
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Oudin can't because she's already turned pro and made money from sponsors. I'd assume Coco has as well, but I'm not positive.

Coco has as well. They could both still attend college, just not play tennis on the team :)

Jane Lane
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Coco has as well. They could both still attend college, just not play tennis on the team :)

Well, yeah. :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM

So every 20 year old outside of the top 100 should quit and go to college? :help: Melanie just won a GRAND SLAM TITLE three months ago. Coco just won her first Grand Slam match at the US Open. Whatever they choose to do after their tennis careers, it is very unlikely that they will be among the 100-200 best in the world at it.

If they're at the same place or moving backwards 4 or 5 years from now, then sure, it might be time to have that discussion. But not everybody is going to peak in their teens or early 20s. Look at Jill Craybas or Tathiana Garbin or countless other players. Tennis players have good years and bad years and stretches of remaining at the same spot. Unless they're miserable and not enjoying it, 20 is way too early for them to consider going to college now.

Jane Lane
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Melanie just won a GRAND SLAM TITLE three months ago.

That never happened. Yes, I'm still bitter about Schwanky costing Gisela a Slam.

lang26
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:19 AM
:o:o get it together COCO

Uranium
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Gail:speakles: Great job.:yeah:

Aren't they all playing qualifying?
Ignore him, he's ignorant.
She reppin' it for the New Yorkers.
She turned pro in 2008 after winning the US National 18s event and getting a WC into the US Open. It was a very poor decision--she was NOT ready yet, but she and her family had been struggling financially and the prospect of a main draw check at a Slam for singles/doubles was too enticing. She pretty much ate it for the next three years, challenger qualifying and losing at 10K's in Norway and Guadeloupe. She did win a 25K this summer and moved up over 150 spots in the rankings this year, but she is really going above and beyond this week.

Yes, this season has been amazing for her. She pretty much did nothing after that US Open and then out of no where she did well this season. Making US Open Qualies on her own ranking, no WC assistance.

Pops Maellard
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Gail's only 20? :eek: Maybe I thought that 'cause Gail is such an old person's name :oh:.

useme
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:54 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=irSRCUo2LbM

Thanks for the video, but maybe next time stop talking!

Mistress of Evil
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Drama :drool:

chingching
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Last year she came to Australia to play some domestic money tournaments (no ranking points) and some 25ks. She hits the ball really cleanly but she can't move