PDA

View Full Version : WWW USTA AO WC playoff Final: Madison Keys or Gail Brodsky?

Jorn
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Who will win the AO WC?

Unexpected these 2 in the Finals...

Melange
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM
They need to have a third set tiebreak in the semi. Just needlessly tiring players out. Now Brodsky has played two long three setters, although she does not have much weapons to end points fast.

flareon
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I hope gail however I like both of them.

iPatty
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Madison is so good. Two slam main draws in a row at 16. :drool:

spiceboy
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Looks like it is all or nothing for these girls tomorrow. Ranked #229 and #271 they won't even be in the qualies list and will have to risk and travel all the way to OZ to wait and play as an alternate if there are some withdrawals.

So big game for them tomorrow :D

young_gunner913
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Come on Maddy!! :bounce:

Sammo
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Madison Keys, as I choose her at the beginning of the play off

Inger67
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Would Madison really go all the way to Australia if she lost tomorrow and wasn't given some sort of QWC? #271 seems a bit far off right? I could see why Gail would still go, however.

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Madison in 3 :bounce: Hopefully Gail has enough left in the tank to make it competitive :)

guichard
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Keys in 3 sets

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Looks like it is all or nothing for these girls tomorrow. Ranked #229 and #271 they won't even be in the qualies list and will have to risk and travel all the way to OZ to wait and play as an alternate if there are some withdrawals.

So big game for them tomorrow :D

I think Gail's ranking of #229 will be just good enough to make the q draw. It's very unlikely Mad would make the q draw unless a similar pullout situation happens like in 2009 ( or was it 2010? ) :)

Trickle
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I really hope it's Maddy. Her potential at the US Open was evident. She defeated journeywoman Nana Craybas in convincing style and had a very tight long three setter against Lucie Safarova where she held a 5-0 lead in the first set. She eventually choked the match away 6-3, 5-7, 4-6.

spiceboy
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think Gail's ranking of #229 will be just good enough to make the q draw. It's very unlikely Mad would make the q draw unless a similar pullout situation happens like in 2009 ( or was it 2010? ) :)

2008 :p Ar. Rodionova (living in OZ) entered as an on site alternate being ranked #330. This year the same happened with Mladenovic ranked #301. She was in Australia already for the Hopman Cup so she just showed up in Melbourne hoping for withdrawals and she was lucky enough to sneak in.

This would never happen in Paris or Wimbledon as players in the 220s-230s do risk and hope to make it as it doesn't cost much travelling around Europe. But travelling all the way to Australia with no assured place in the draw it's like playing Russian roulette :facepalm:

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
But travelling all the way to Australia with no assured place in the draw it's like playing Russian roulette :facepalm:

Yeah, it's very expensive to travel from North America to Australia. I guess the only way to be 100% sure of playing is to win the playoff tomorrow :angel:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:39 PM
There is absolutely no way that Madison would go to Australia unless she won the playoff. There are two 25K's in Florida that month which she could drive to. It would make much more sense to play those instead of flying halfway around the world and hoping 20-30 people pull out.

As CrossCourt Rally already said, the qualifying cutoff is almost always around #230-#250 for Australia, so Gail will at least get to play qualifying. She may not get into qualies for Auckland and Brisbane and it's a long way to go for potentially one match, but plenty of players do it.

I think Madison should pull this match out, but I didn't expect Gail to beat Oudin or Vandeweghe either, so who knows...

Linguae^
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM
MAdison should take it. ;)

Jorn
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:51 PM
This would never happen in Paris or Wimbledon as players in the 220s-230s do risk and hope to make it as it doesn't cost much travelling around Europe.
But travelling all the way to Australia with no assured place in the draw it's like playing Russian roulette.

In 2007 (Ithink) , a more know now WTA No.1 dane , was out with just one place from Entered the Qualies... Even she only traveled from Hong Kong...

But my guess Gail may win tomorrow.

Uranium
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I'd rather Madison win since Gail is better off in qualifying.

chingching
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I really have no idea but I voted for Gail cause she's on a confidence high