PDA

View Full Version : Who has a better forehand Azarenka or Jankovic

powerbackhand
Dec 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Both have forehands that are considered their weaker wing, often sitting up too much, allowing the best power hitters to tee off on. Whos forehand is better at its best.. Azarenka RG 09 r4, QF, Jankovic Us 06 SF

Imperfect Angel
Dec 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Vika for me. Hers just look more hard hitting and more penetrating.:lol: I remember in Wimbledon she played Paszek(?) and she went FH to FH with her.:lol:

Holdsworth
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hmm.. Strange poll :shrug:.. I don't think that Vika's forehand is a weak shot. Quite the contrary

Dominic
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I don't think that Vika's forehand is a weak shot. Quite the contrary

Agreed, I never got why some ppl say that. Her backhand is not significantly better than her forehand.

powerbackhand
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Agreed, I never got why some ppl say that. Her backhand is not significantly better than her forehand.

Azarenkas forehand is very solid, doesnt produce many errors and is more than capable of hitting winners, but i feel that sometimes when playing the best players ie. serena, petra,nagoat it can sit up a bit and drop short allowing them to hit easy winners.. Her backhand seems to hold up better against them

Break My Rapture
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Finally a new thread!!

BH is defo Azarenka's better shot. Her FH was quite inconsistent a couple of years ago but has improved in margin.

That said, she is actually willing to make the points with her FH too. Jankovic just waits for an opportunity to strike with her BH plus gets less pace on the FH wing than Azarenka's. Jankovic's FH technique is much more compact though.

The Dawntreader
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Jankovic can't generate sufficient pace on the forehand, especially off no-pace balls. A reason why she struggled so mightily against Mauresmo for example.

Azarenka can't hit through her forehand in high-paced rallies, without being forced to scoop and hit up, rather than hitting into the shot, and projecting the body-weight transference.

Two different kind of problems really. Jankovic's fh is a far greater defensive shot, and is perhaps more versatile than Azarenka's. Arguably.

Craig.
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I feel like when Jelena flattens hers out, it's more explosive than Azarenka's. As weird as that may seem.

powerbackhand
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Jankovic can't generate sufficient pace on the forehand, especially off no-pace balls. A reason why she struggled so mightily against Mauresmo for example.

Azarenka can't hit through her forehand in high-paced rallies, without being forced to scoop and hit up, rather than hitting into the shot, and projecting the body-weight transference.

Two different kind of problems really. Jankovic's fh is a far greater defensive shot, and is perhaps more versatile than Azarenka's. Arguably.

She has a tendency to come up the back of the ball too much on the forehand side, but she certainly has the ability to hit through the ball in high pace rallies. I think she did this very well in the 2nd set against serena us open this year.

Sammo
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Azarenka by far.

Kairi
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hey, where's the 'hard to say' option? :ras:

The Dawntreader
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
She has a tendency to come up the back of the ball too much on the forehand side, but she certainly has the ability to hit through the ball in high pace rallies. I think she did this very well in the 2nd set against serena us open this year.

Not consistently. Her forehand doesn't deflect pace as well, and her footwork doesn't position her well enough to keep trading forehands in high-powered rallies.

A notable example of this is the AO 2010 QF and the Pova match in Beijing 2009.

duhcity
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Azarenka's problem, as already stated, is her consistency on the shot. For me, she has a better aggressive FH than Jelena, partly due to the fact that Vika can generate more of her own pace and has that instinct as well. But Vika is easily pressured, and she'll regress into the defensive FH that sits too short and too high.

Break My Rapture
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Both have forehands that are considered their weaker wing, often sitting up too much, allowing the best power hitters to tee off on. Whos forehand is better at its best.. Azarenka RG 09 r4, QF, Jankovic Us 06 SF

Just putting up coverage of the matches stated as examples in OP:

XpxJ8Miq7cE

9jRKt3szu4I

yh58GRhc_g0

Smitten
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Jankovic has no FHCC. It's a completely innocuous shot.

I hate her technique and it just leaves way too much air on the ball. Azarenka is better at putting away a high ball to the FH in the mid-court.

I'd give Jankovic the edge in FHDTL possibly at her best. Azarenka does everything else better.

The answer is Azarenka.

Jane Lane
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Jankovic has no FHCC. It's a completely innocuous shot.

I hate her technique and it just leaves way too much air on the ball. Azarenka is better at putting away a high ball to the FH in the mid-court.

I'd give Jankovic the edge in FHDTL possibly at her best. Azarenka does everything else better.

The answer is Azarenka.

You're praising Azarenka?! That's it, the world IS ending in 2012.

Slutiana
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
This is a good thread and a tough one. Azarenka's forehand is completely useless when she is pushed back, but she can put away most mid-court balls (after 2/3 shots, of course). On the other hand, Jankovic redirects pace extremely well with her forehand but is atrocious when it comes to putting balls away off that wing. I'd go with Jankovic because peak Jankovic's forehand was very good at setting up her backhand for the finishing blow. And her FH eastern grip is cute.

The Dawntreader
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
This is a good thread and a tough one. Azarenka's forehand is completely useless when she is pushed back, but she can put away most mid-court balls (after 2/3 shots, of course). On the other hand, Jankovic redirects pace extremely well with her forehand but is atrocious when it comes to putting balls away off that wing. I'd go with Jankovic because peak Jankovic's forehand was very good at setting up her backhand for the finishing blow. And her FH eastern grip is cute.

This. I actually like the shaping of Jankovic's Fh.

Ryan
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Jankovic's forehand from 2006-2008 was actually really good. At its best she was able to move the opponent around the court, and her FH down the line was pretty impressive. It wasn't a big weapon, but it wasn't a liability the way it is now.

Vika's is solid, but I don't think its a dangerous shot or extremely effective.

The Dawntreader
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Jankovic's forehand from 2006-2008 was actually really good. At its best she was able to move the opponent around the court, and her FH down the line was pretty impressive. It wasn't a big weapon, but it wasn't a liability the way it is now.

Vika's is solid, but I don't think its a dangerous shot or extremely effective.

I agree. It wasn't potent, but it wasn't a ridiculous liability.

ExtremespeedX
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:27 AM
JJ at her best had a decent FH - Vika's FH is pretty bad - not Dullniacki bad - mind you, but still needs massive improvements.

Jaco·He
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Azarenka

Alice
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Vika!

Nicolás89
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Vika plays her forehand with depth enough to not get too exposed during rallies. Unlike empress, whom plays it with too much spin that sometimes gets loopy and helpless.

Pops Maellard
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Both have damn ugly FHs (sorry to say) but I voted JJ out of bias.

KBlade
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Azarenka clearly has the more potent shot of the pair, however, her forehand can also look under-powered when she faces off against the games biggest hitters, like Kim, Serena and Venus. Like many have said, she can also have a tendency to throw in shorter attackable forehands, but against anyone outside of the Top 10, she gets the job done quite decently.

I actually really like the technique of Jelena's forehand. It's relatively smooth, and I think it has potential to be a decent weapon, however, the difference between Jankovic and Azarenka is mental. Azarenka is not afraid to actually HIT the ball, whereas Jankovic has a far more defensive mindset, and is content with just looping it in. In my opinion, if Jankovic has a more aggressive mentality, her forehand would be more effective than Azarenka's. There's really nothing wrong with the shot technically, she just needs to learn to trust it.

spencercarlos
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Azarenka's forehand is better, and clearly to be honest. And i am not a Vika fan and really like Jelena..

Dominic
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Jankovic has no FHCC.

This. And it's really weird as the forehand crosscourt is the easiest most natural shot to hit

it-girl
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Not sure. Neither shot really stands out to me. So I'm going to have to go with equal.

hERi
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Vika's FH is more aggressive than JJ..so Vika is better

Antoshka
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Azarenka didn't even reached in the final Grand Slam tournaments. It should not be in the top ten. Of course, JJ is better :facepalm: As for the game and the results.

FerrerFan123
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Jankovic's forehand is better suited to her own game, she can redirect and handle pace well with it and is very versatile with it. It isn't that good of a shot, but it is a good defensive shot. Which allows her to set up her backhand well, and is usually pretty consistent.

Azarenka, being an offensive baseliner, who has somewhat good movement, but not well enough to consistently defend, cannot execute her game properly against more powerful hard hitters sometimes, because in high powered forehand to forehand rallies, her ball gets too short and allows opponents to attack. She is very good at hitting finishing off short balls with it though.

Azarenka's forehand is a better shot when it's allowed to work, but under pressure it is a liability to her game. Jankovic's forehand suits her game perfectly and allows her to set up for her backhand or to go on the defensive.

Renalicious
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
At their respective forehand peaks, Jelena's forehand is way better than Azarenka's.

Someone should post JJ's highlights against Venus at Stuttgart 2008. Her forehand could be pinpointed at difficult spots, her passing shot down the line was sublime and it was actually a very explosive forehand.

However, currently, Azarenka's forehand is MILES ahead of Jelena's, which is frankly a piece of crap right now. :lol:

11Bc8FbPEfU

2:58, 4:24, 4:30 (The FH DTL to set up the Drive volley), 5:30 :eek:!, 6:24 - toying Vee with her forehand side to side, 7:12ish - finishing FH, 9:05 so amazing :sobbing:, and of course 9:25. :worship:
CBf looking for more... But yeah. JJ :worship:

Melange
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I cant decide, Jankovic's forehand has jealousy but Azarenka's forehand is full of discrimination

Yoncé
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Azarenka, by far.

SwingVolley93
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM

This. :yeah:

powerbackhand
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I cant decide, Jankovic's forehand has jealousy but Azarenka's forehand is full of discrimination

The jankovic statement is possibly true. jelena has said in the past that she was born to hit backhands and has several times praised that wing to the press so I can see why her forehand would be jealous. However, I see no reason why you would say that about Vika, her forehand is the smae whether she is playing black a asian or white player???

powerbackhand
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
At their respective forehand peaks, Jelena's forehand is way better than Azarenka's.

Someone should post JJ's highlights against Venus at Stuttgart 2008. Her forehand could be pinpointed at difficult spots, her passing shot down the line was sublime and it was actually a very explosive forehand.

However, currently, Azarenka's forehand is MILES ahead of Jelena's, which is frankly a piece of crap right now. :lol:

11Bc8FbPEfU

2:58, 4:24, 4:30 (The FH DTL to set up the Drive volley), 5:30 :eek:!, 6:24 - toying Vee with her forehand side to side, 7:12ish - finishing FH, 9:05 so amazing :sobbing:, and of course 9:25. :worship:
CBf looking for more... But yeah. JJ :worship:

Not sure if this is the best example as Jankovic's game seems to fit in perfectly to Venus's. She seems to feed off Venus's pace which she redirects excellently, and also forces her forehand to be reactive. it looks no where near as good when she plays Ivanovic for example. Also, I dont think her forehand is near as impressive when she has to generate her own pace. I think but azarenkas forehand is more of a proactive shot as she seems to be able to generate pace and takes it on much more on her own accord. However, Jelenas FH seems to be the better reactive shot.

Melange
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
The jankovic statement is possibly true. jelena has said in the past that she was born to hit backhands and has several times praised that wing to the press so I can see why her forehand would be jealous. However, I see no reason why you would say that about Vika, her forehand is the smae whether she is playing black a asian or white player???

Jankovic's forehand is mostly jealous of VIP and her good looks and one grand slam. Azarenka's forehand will discriminate between opponents. it is snappy against scrubs but with top five opponents it will disappear and leave her to push pointlessly

Pump-it-UP
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Vika.

Peak JJ's forehand was underrated though. It was a weak shot, but it was still tough to exploit before she became brain dead.

Sombrerero loco
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
lol, vika by far

Mikey.
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Jelena's looks prettier (to me anyway) but Vika's is probably more potent.

Break My Rapture
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
:lol:

evana
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Jelena

Mugilda
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I prefer Jelena's one, but I don't know which is better

powerbackhand
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Happening LIVE

cowsonice
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM
This debate needs to be revived considering how JJ's fh has lost most of its loopiness. :lol:

Jane Lane
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:15 AM
:lol: Knew the bump was coming.

Potato
Jan 10th, 2012, 06:25 AM
JJ might've gotten a forehand, but she still doesn't have a brain.

GameSetJJ
Jan 30th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I've never seen Jelena hit her forehand the way she did in that 06 semi :oh:

When she wants to hit a good forehand she can... (Simona kept hitting to her forehand in the AO R4 and JJ was getting so pissed she started smacking forehand winners)

Azarenka... has a good forehand, it won't break down as often as JJ's does.

But when JJ flattens it out it's deadly.

Panther24
Jan 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Guest.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 30th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Peak or not, Azarenka has a better backhand, a much better forehand, better net play and a better return of serve.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

ajp31077
Jan 31st, 2014, 01:03 AM
Jankovic 1000000%. Azarenka would be out of the top 20 if all she had was her forehand. Its a joke!. Jankovic has her moments and winners and can do well with it.

MMJSL
Jan 31st, 2014, 01:12 AM
Jankovic 1000000%. Azarenka would be out of the top 20 if all she had was her forehand. Its a joke!. Jankovic has her moments and winners and can do well with it.

:lol:

MMJSL
Jan 31st, 2014, 01:16 AM
Peak or not, Azarenka has a better backhand, a much better forehand, better net play and a better return of serve.

JJ's backhand is better for sure. But I agree with everything else.

Spencer.
Jan 31st, 2014, 01:26 AM

Think they're close enough where you can't choose a better BH, agree on the FH, agree on the net play, and agree on the ROS.

This is why Azarenka is a Slam champion and will actually continue to win Slams. A better player than Jelena. Simple :shrug:

:sobbing:

Mikey.
Jan 31st, 2014, 02:16 AM
Why was this bumped? :crying2: It's clearly Azarenka.

serena_the_queen
Jan 31st, 2014, 02:28 AM
Jankovic has a much better serve and a slight edge on the BH. Vika wins everything else.

Break My Rapture
Jan 31st, 2014, 03:37 PM

Thank you. The Jankovic BH is so overrated.

Potato
Jan 31st, 2014, 08:04 PM
JJ's backhand as an offensive shot is definitely overrated, but I think many of you guys underrate what she can do with it defensively. She has a lot of balance with that shot on the run.

GameSetJJ
Jan 31st, 2014, 08:20 PM
JJ's backhand is not overrated :lol:

She can do anything with it, there's a reason commentators go mad for Jaja's backhand.

Jo Durie once said: 'If you're going to teach any tennis player how to hit a BH look at Jelena Jankovic.'

SAFAROVA_IS_GOAT
Jan 31st, 2014, 08:25 PM
She can so anything with it? So she has a good BH slice?
:weirdo:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 31st, 2014, 09:00 PM

yeah

tennis__serena
Jan 31st, 2014, 10:52 PM
JJ backhand is not overrated, it is her best shot and the main reason she got to #1

Marcus1979
Feb 1st, 2014, 02:35 AM
a thread about bad forehands and no mention of Venus "hot mess" forehand :lol:

madmax
Feb 1st, 2014, 02:57 AM
lol, is this even a debate?:haha: Vuvurenka's FH isn't even bad to begin with, while the serbian's one...the less is said about it, the better:devil:

GameSetJJ
Feb 1st, 2014, 03:15 AM

NHwindQHwEo

:)