PDA

View Full Version : Do you all ever meet irritating 'tennis' fans at tournaments ?

New
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm currently at the SWTE waiting for the winners to come up and sign . Sam lost so she will only appear tomorrow morning to sign instead .

While queuing it was made known that only Flavia is coming up . And I hear irritating comments by this boyfriend who tells the girlfriend 'Are you sure you want to wait ? It is only Flavia not Sam . Sam is the US Open champion while Flavia only won two matches in Singapore ..'

Sorry but that statement irritates the hell out of me! Hello , so a non grand slam winner does not deserve the wait ? What is this ? I mean Sam was great to win US Open , but that does not mean FLAVIA is useless and does not play well ....

Other useless comments are like ' I don't know who is the world #2 , she is the tall and ugly one ... :rolleyes:

'the number one is the one who wear Adidas ....' Irritating ppl !!!

GoofyDuck
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah they do sound very annoying

Caipirinha Guy
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I guess it's typical Asian understanding of sport :o

Siderophyre
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I was sitting next to a guy on court 12 at Wimbledon who bitched and moaned about what total shit women's tennis is, how they don't deserve equal prize money, blah, blah, blah. A good 20 minutes he went on about it. Then unfortunately Petkovic came on court and treated us to some pretty poor tennis. Well that was enough for him to go off again - here was living proof of what he was saying. Stupid tit didn't even have the decency to confine his commentary to the changeovers...

Mynarco
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM

huh?

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm currently at the SWTE waiting for the winners to come up and sign . Sam lost so she will only appear tomorrow morning to sign instead .

While queuing it was made known that only Flavia is coming up . And I hear irritating comments by this boyfriend who tells the girlfriend 'Are you sure you want to wait ? It is only Flavia not Sam . Sam is the US Open champion while Flavia only won two matches in Singapore ..'

Sorry but that statement irritates the hell out of me! Hello , so a non grand slam winner does not deserve the wait ? What is this ? I mean Sam was great to win US Open , but that does not mean FLAVIA is useless and does not play well ....

Other useless comments are like ' I don't know who is the world #2 , she is the tall and ugly one ... :rolleyes:

'the number one is the one who wear Adidas ....' Irritating ppl !!!

I'm not at all surprise. Singaporeans are extremely annoying and kiasu. I'm so embarrassed by their behaviour.

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
huh?

What huh? :scratch:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
No, but I might soon if I go to Paris GDF de Suez with Doomsday.

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM

WTF ? :o :o It's so ignorant to say that !

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Only at Singapore. :oh:

doomsday
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:21 AM

:lol: you know I can't control myself when Maria is around.

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
:lol: you know I can't control myself when Maria is around.

As long as you won't fangirl as loud as she screams during matchs. Don't embarrass me :lol:

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
debby how come you have the Singaporean flag? :spit:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Because I am married to Silverwhite, therefore I have his nationality.

doomsday
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
As long as you won't fangirl as loud as she screams during matchs. Don't embarrass me :lol:

Tbh, I never yell when I'm in a stadium but only in front of my computer. I don't want everyone to find out that I'm paranoid.:lol:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Tbh, I never yell when I'm in a stadium but only in front of my computer. I don't want everyone to find out that I'm paranoid.:lol:

That's good to know :kiss:

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM

:spit:

TheHangover
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
no but i remember that crazy woman in Ivanovic vs Kateryna Bondarenko at the USO some years ago, she was screaming and jumping at every point Ivanovic lost!!!

BlueTrees
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM

So racist :tape:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
So racist :tape:

For once, I agree with you.

bobito
Dec 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I suppose I've been very lucky. The worst I've had was at The Zheng v Kvitova match at Wimbledon 2010 when an old Chinese man was munching snacks loudly and open mouthed next to my ear for much of the match. :(

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I suppose I've been very lucky. The worst I've had was at The Zheng v Kvitova match at Wimbledon 2010 when an old Chinese man was munching snacks loudly and open mouthed next to my ear for much of the match. :(

:oh:

Ryan
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Whats wrong with this? Some people have no interest in Flavia, or other players - they're allowed to not want to wait for an autograph from someone they don't care about.

*Jean*
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Wanna try to go w/me?

The most disgusting tennis fan I've seen was during a Domachowska match at the French Open, and he was like "Ooh come closer little Marta, I'm gonna teach you hard tennis. [...] Oh, come here I'll serve you the right way". Pretty disgusting. Oh wait, was it Adrian stalking AGAIN? :sobbing:

Kairi
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:15 PM

i hope the wedding was lovely :hearts: ..you wore white i suppose :oh:

tripwires
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not at all surprise. Singaporeans are extremely annoying and kiasu. I'm so embarrassed by their behaviour.

What's this got to do with kiasu? :lol: Singaporeans ARE annoying though, that I gotta agree. But guess which group of fans FLOCKED to the barriers to wait for Peng maybe 2 seconds after her match ended? That is kiasu for you and no they were not Singaporeans. ;)

Luckily there weren't many people around on Friday (:lol:) so no one really annoyed me, though there was this auntie behind me and my boyfriend who couldn't stop commenting on Dani's drop shots.

I gotta say, though, I was commenting like hell on her moonballs.

everythingtaboo
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I was at a Vika match at AO this year and there was a completely obnoxious old prick a few rows in front of me who was loudly criticizing her grunting, yelling out discouraging things at her, and then kept yelling out to her opponent how to play her game. :rolleyes: Everyone around him looked incredibly pissed off. Thankfully he only stayed for like 5 games or something. But I doubt it bothered Vika cause she won the match 6-4 6-4.

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Wanna try to go w/me?

The most disgusting tennis fan I've seen was during a Domachowska match at the French Open, and he was like "Ooh come closer little Marta, I'm gonna teach you hard tennis. [...] Oh, come here I'll serve you the right way". Pretty disgusting. Oh wait, was it Adrian stalking AGAIN? :sobbing:

I don't even know if I will go to Paris... depends of my timetable. But yeah if I go, for sure, why not :yeah:

LMAO it must be Adrian :crying2:

i hope the wedding was lovely :hearts: ..you wore white i suppose :oh:

Isn't white gown forbidden in Asia ? :scratch:
Yes it was lovely. :angel: Still I want a honeymoon !

silverwhite
Dec 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Yes, this sort of fans can only be found in Asia :worship:

Mynarco
Dec 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thought of badrepping but just couldn't be arsed. Honestly, let it be.

roelc
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
i remember at a doubles match at the australian open, a woman was yelling after EVERY POINT "let's go liezel, let's go cara"
very annoying. and seriously, after every point... (while there were only a few spectators)

TheBoiledEgg
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
There is no one more irritating than the two clowns at Birmingham every yr

Mr Bean & Mr Clappy
Go along way to beat them 2

They got their own thread in GM too

Mynarco
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:07 PM
There is no one more irritating than the two clowns at Birmingham every yr

Mr Bean & Mr Clappy
Go along way to beat them 2

They got their own thread in GM too

:lol: Have they been to Eastbourne or SW19? Wanna ask them for autographs

Zamboni
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
These kind of fans are everywhere. Trying hanging out around practice courts. Casual fans don't recognise anyone when their name isn't on a scoreboard:tape: I always feel embarassed when someone's asking me who the players are, cause while most players don't speak Dutch (this usually happens to me in Rosmalen), they would understand when they hear their own name ;)

At RG this year, 2 Dutch fans around me were complaining loudly about having to sit through a womens match before the Dutch player would be on. He was insulting womens tennis in general, and Zahlavova, Zheng and Medina Garrigues in particular so badly that I just left after a few games because I couldn't bear it:tape: Funnily enough he didn't mind Dentoni so much....

Mary Cherry.
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
:lol: Have they been to Eastbourne or SW19? Wanna ask them for autographs

Yep :oh: Last year I saw Mr Bean at both Eastbourne and Wimbledon all within a couple of days of each other :lol: I also saw him in a pub in Eastbourne. He was EVERYWHERE.

Unfortunately I only saw him once this year at Eastbourne, he was talking really loudly to two other guys (one had 3 cameras round his neck :weirdo:) while pouring Coke into a coffee cup...I'm guessing Coke wasn't the only thing in the cup :tape:)

King Halep
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM

i could totally imagine them saying those things, if you know those ppl they dont like waiting in queues unless its for branded goods. its funny because they are only saying the same things that are said on GM.

Mynarco
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
i could totally imagine them saying those things, if you know those ppl they dont like waiting in queues unless its for branded goods. its funny because they are only saying the same things that are said on GM.

:facepalm:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM

what the fuck

we have loads of asian fan

and we have so many ignorant fans in france too like
"lol monfils is gonna win RG" lollllllllllllllllllllllll i mean even a sparrow knows he will never win rg

you have to be that delusional

sadly french people are delusional

i am glad i am smarter than them :kiss:

young_gunner913
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I found that Dutch fans can be way obnoxious. But I guess you could say the same about any country's fans when cheering for their player. :shrug:

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I found that Dutch fans can be way obnoxious. But I guess you could say the same about any country's fans when cheering for their player. :shrug:

I agree, like some American posters who cheer for their player :shrug:

young_gunner913
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I agree, like some American posters who cheer for their player :shrug:

Instead of trying to troll me, why don't you take a few extra seconds to not look like a complete dumbass and read the thread title. "AT TOURNAMENTS" not "ON TF".

I doubt all French people are illiterate trolls.

debby
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Instead of trying to troll me, why don't you take a few extra seconds to not look like a complete dumbass and read the thread title. "AT TOURNAMENTS" not "ON TF".

uh???? i was talking about general tennis fans.... i even mentioned french fans :o Chill out please.
I was talking about tournaments as well, I went to Bercy and Roland Garros. :kiss:

I doubt all French people are illiterate trolls.

how come can i answer you? i can't be illiterate then............

sammy01
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
at birmingham there was a guy who knew very little about tennis and kept saying that one (sesil) doesn't care and isn't trying, with lots of swearing and mocking when she missed anything. sesil actually won the match 7-6 in the 3rd against cavaday.

King Halep
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
what the fuck

we have loads of asian fan

and we have so many ignorant fans in france too like
"lol monfils is gonna win RG" lollllllllllllllllllllllll i mean even a sparrow knows he will never win rg

you have to be that delusional

sadly french people are delusional

im not talking about all asian fan. im talking about the type who whine about having to wait for anything, but then they will wait all day for "limited edition" stuff or things from their favorite brand. as someone above said, its a particular characteristic of some of these people. anyway they deserve some credit for knowing the no.1 wears adidas

cowsonice
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I went to Carlsbad (California :oh:) this summer and I was pretty disappointed with the fans at the tournament. They weren't "irritating" per se, but they were dressed as if they were going to the racetrack and they kept talking and talking about the most menial things like catering their next party, "and then she said...and he said..." nothing tennis-related AT ALL.

Some people weren't even paying attention to the game, didn't clap during the exciting points (Radwanska v Zvonareva makes for a good match), and were constantly on their phones, waiting for the next contest for a prize. :o :o :o

Given...I sat on the cheapest seats so I guess I shouldn't expect much.

Andy.
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
YES!!!! All the loud and super annoying 'Serbian' fans that flock to all of the Australian tournaments.

Jane Lane
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I've encountered some particularly rowdy groups of Romanian and French fans at the USO. In '10 I was watching Vika play Niculescu on like court 10 I think it was, and Vika bagelled her in the first set. 2nd set was a mess and they got really into it, which is fine, but not to the point of booing when the player you're not rooting for hits winners and jumping around obstructing the view of people around you. :facepalm: Then this year we were waiting on line to get into one of the courts (it was standing room only because Monfils was in a 5th with Kendrick so everybody wanted to go see the drama) and a group of like 15 French people cut the entire line and pushed past security when the gate opened and we cursed at them. :lol:

Oh god and nothing beat the woman sitting there sipping her wine during the 08 USO final huffing and puffing every time JJ won a point in the second set. I guess she had dinner plans or some shit. :lol:

goat
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Oh god and nothing beat the woman sitting there sipping her wine during the 08 USO final huffing and puffing every time JJ won a point in the second set. I guess she had dinner plans or some shit. :lol:

Hhahahaha! The U.S open always has crazy shenanigans like the young man getting into the fight with the old lady and her husband. But the Australian Open is quite horrible too, always political because of the serbians, the greeks, the cypriots, turks or bosnians.

Mary Cherry.
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I hate the snobs you see around Wimbledon. Last year I had a couple sat behind me talking through every point in the most irritatingly posh accent imaginable, where the man kept incorrectly explaining the rules to the woman. Then they had the cheek to have a go at some Italian guy because his phone went off...then continued to chat away for hours on end :o

Mikey.
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I always hate when I overhear people talking about the players in a match and they keep getting all these facts and figures totally wrong. It also really bugs me when people wrongly identify players they're watching. I feel so compelled to turn to them and correct them, then I realise I'd look like some kind of stalker listening in on someone else's conversation. :facepalm:

young_gunner913
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I always hate when I overhear people talking about the players in a match and they keep getting all these facts and figures totally wrong. It also really bugs me when people wrongly identify players they're watching. I feel so compelled to turn to them and correct them, then I realise I'd look like some kind of stalker listening in on someone else's conversation. :facepalm:

You'll most likely never see them again. Might as well do it. :oh:

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM

This.

Cajka
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I don't exactly meet them. I go to tennis events with a friend who is very annoying during the matches. She yells, talks all the time, makes stupid analyses... It's just like listening a very bad commentator. It can be really embarrassing because people around often ask us not to talk during the points. :facepalm:

sammy01
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:22 AM
more funny than annoying but at brum rezai walked past and some guy turned to the other and said 'she is going to dethrone the williams sisters at the top of tennis' sob, even more sob rezai's shoes were squeaking like hell lol

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I don't exactly meet them. I go to tennis events with a friend who is very annoying during the matches. She yells, talks all the time, makes stupid analyses... It's just like listening a very bad commentator. It can be really embarrassing because people around often ask us not to talk during the points. :facepalm:

Then why did you agree to go with her?

Mikey.
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:46 AM

:crying2: Well I have to sit next to these people for several hours. It's probably best not to piss them off. :tears:

Cajka
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Then why did you agree to go with her?

I never go with her alone, there's a whole bunch of us, but nobody wants to sit next to her, so it's usually me who sits next to her eventually. I can't even be mean to her, because she's a great person and I love her.

casholic
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Yes. I attended the Sharapova vs Dementieva shitfest at Stanford '10 and there was a woman whispering "COME ON" and "YES YES YES" very aggressively into my ear every time Maria landed a serve in. She was dying during the second set.

Sean.
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I find the most annoying fans are though who insist on chanting/clapping/shouting before every single point. The player definitely can't hear them, they're too focussed on the match. It's so unnecessary!

*Jean*
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:53 AM
i remember at a doubles match at the australian open, a woman was yelling after EVERY POINT "let's go liezel, let's go cara"
very annoying. and seriously, after every point... (while there were only a few spectators)

Be careful, that girl is on this board. :tape: she is always doing that, and that's embarassing. I used to be friend with her and going at tournaments with her. She does the same for Scheepers...

Edith09
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I had bad luck at RG this year - women´s final. There was older man who commented about every single point during whole match. If this match was 3-setter I would have to choke him :tape: :help:.

nevetssllim
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Well of course, there's Mr. Clappy and Mr. Bean but tennis tournaments seem to attract an array of annoying people.

Firstly you have the general ignorance. I was watching Rybarikova vs. Vandeweghe in Birmingham and I overheard this woman on her phone saying 'oh I don't know who I'm watching...two Russian girls with long names.' :facepalm:

And then you have the nerds in Birmingham. There are so many middle-aged men who frequent players for autographs, even after they've just lost a match. Most of them don't seem to mind but it's so unnecessary.

Oh, and schoolkids at tennis events are just the worst ever.

nevetssllim
Dec 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM

I agree. :lol: I kept getting annoyed at the person behind me at Mirza's match at Wimbledon a few years ago because he saw IND next to her name in the programme and assumed she was from Indonesia and he kept saying 'Sania Mirza from...Indonesia.' That really bugged me!

Zamboni
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Oh, and schoolkids at tennis events are just the worst ever.
Oh I don't know, at least they can be cute too:lol:
I once sat behind a group of kids (about 10yrs old) who spent a whole set trying to decide who was prettier between Pennetta and Kirilenko (back when they played doubles together). It was hilarious:lol:

I forgot to mention the middle aged women for whom their day at a tennis tournament is just a day out. They sit at centre court all day, and they just chat all day. Through all the matches. Constantly. Not even about tennis :tape: They are beyond annoying.
This year at Rosmalen I had a group of women like that sitting around me for Oprandi-Clijsters. The moment Romina got on court, they started to make fun of her because of her appearance:tape: On the good side, it took Romina only 2 games (and 6 dropshots:p) to shut them up:armed: I very much enjoyed that.

nevetssllim
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Oh I don't know, at least they can be cute too:lol:
I once sat behind a group of kids (about 10yrs old) who spent a whole set trying to decide who was prettier between Pennetta and Kirilenko (back when they played doubles together). It was hilarious:lol:

Who did they decide was prettiest in the end? :p

The ones at Birmingham are SO annoying though and I even overheard the umpire calling security on his walkie-talkie thing because he couldn't control them (nor could the teachers :tape:). It got so bad that Shvedova even told one of them off during the match.

However I was a bit disappointed that it rained for most of the morning so they pretty much left by 2.30pm...just before Rodionova's match and I'm sure it would have been hilarious if they had stuck around. :rolls:

Zamboni
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Who did they decide was prettiest in the end? :p

The ones at Birmingham are SO annoying though and I even overheard the umpire calling security on his walkie-talkie thing because he couldn't control them (nor could the teachers :tape:). It got so bad that Shvedova even told one of them off during the match.

However I was a bit disappointed that it rained for most of the morning so they pretty much left by 2.30pm...just before Rodionova's match and I'm sure it would have been hilarious if they had stuck around. :rolls:
It was about 50/50:lol: On the other side of the net were Vedy/Lefevre. Much easier for them :p

Oh in Rosmalen they don't bother me much. To start with, I don't watch ATP, so that means I skip half of the matches. Plus the kids never stay for more than a set anyway. Honestly, the middle aged women are so much worse:tape: And the people who don't recognise any player.

everythingtaboo
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
YES!!!! All the loud and super annoying 'Serbian' fans that flock to all of the Australian tournaments.

This. Even the players looked pissed off with most them.

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I never go with her alone, there's a whole bunch of us, but nobody wants to sit next to her, so it's usually me who sits next to her eventually. I can't even be mean to her, because she's a great person and I love her.

Fair enough. :p

Jane Lane
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Oh and I almost forgot this year at Pennetta/Peng USO these high school girls on a junior varsity team were dissecting Flavia's serve and groundies and how she could be better. I heard most of their conversation about how bad they are. :lol:

Nicolas
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Be careful, that girl is on this board. :tape: she is always doing that, and that's embarassing. I used to be friend with her and going at tournaments with her. She does the same for Scheepers...

Is that Steffy62 or smthg? :help: that girl is mentally ill....

New
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Today was a whole bunch of restless kids playing ipad without switching off volume + occasionally singing songs like twinkle twinkle little star and the parents just did nothing!

If they cannot appreciate at their age, then don't bring them there please.:facepalm:

New
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Oh and I almost forgot this year at Pennetta/Peng USO these high school girls on a junior varsity team were dissecting Flavia's serve and groundies and how she could be better. I heard most of their conversation about how bad they are. :lol:
Ya, I know what you mean. There was this lady and uncle who was watching the ATP challenger saying how they could hit better than Tursunov and they only lacked serve or they are BETTER.

Why don't they take massive lessons to work on their serves and then just come on tour then? Since they are so talented.

*Jean*
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Is that Steffy62 or smthg? :help: that girl is mentally ill....

Why do you say so? :lol: :lol:

New
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Whats wrong with this? Some people have no interest in Flavia, or other players - they're allowed to not want to wait for an autograph from someone they don't care about.

It is not about whether he has interest in Flavia or not and seriously he doesn't even sound like he knows who Sam is other than the fact that she is the US open champion.

Adrian.
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Wanna try to go w/me?

Hoe please :o
1) Stalking? :o
2) AGAIN? :o
3) I never was to Paris before :p

Nicolas
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Why do you say so? :lol: :lol:

because she is

*Jean*
Dec 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
because she is

Qu'est-ce qui te fait dire ça?! Je veux des détails!