PDA

View Full Version : Singapore eyes WTA debut next year

guichard
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
SINGAPORE: Singapore looks set to hold its first WTA tennis tournament as early as next year after being offered an end-of-season time slot, a promoter said on Friday.

The wealthy Southeast Asian mini-state, which is holding an exhibition event featuring six top players from Friday, would become the seventh Asia-Pacific stop for the professional women's tour.

"We are in discussions with the WTA ( Women's Tennis Association) to convert it to a WTA tournament. We have two options, the one we are looking at is probably the November time-slot," promoter Hicham Moudden told journalists.

"We are planning to convert it to a WTA tournament from next year," he added.

Moudden said Singapore also had the option to hold an event in January or February, but preferred the November slot because there are no other events in the region at that time.

US Open champion Sam Stosur, world number eight Agnieszka Radwanska, China's Peng Shuai, Flavia Pennetta, Daniela Hantuchova and Anabel Medina Garrigues are all in Singapore for the inaugural Singapore Women's Tennis Exhibition.

Spain's Garrigues said a November event could prove popular with Asia-Pacific players, but may struggle to attract Europeans at the end of a long season.

The last event on the current WTA calendar for 2012 is the Tournament of Champions season finale in Sofia, which starts on October 29.

"I think for the Asian people or the people close to Australia, it's going to be good preparation," Garrigues said. "For the people from Europe maybe it's a little bit difficult."
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Singapore-eyes-WTA-debut-next-year/articleshow/11131293.cms

Mynarco
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
It better be indoors :tape:

Julian.
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM
November? After both Istanbul and Sofia YEC? :unsure:

sammy01
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM
i will laugh my ass off if the WTA stick a tournament after both year end championships.

do people need anymore proof that the 'roadmap' is just a fancy name for, fuck the schedule we will stick a tournament anywhere anytime as long as they cough up the cash.

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
:tape: Still there'll be many players willing to play especially the lower ranked ones.:oh:

Joe.
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Are there any Singaporean tennis players? :unsure:

the jamierbelyea
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM
i will laugh my ass off if the WTA stick a tournament after both year end championships.

do people need anymore proof that the 'roadmap' is just a fancy name for, fuck the schedule we will stick a tournament anywhere anytime as long as they cough up the cash.

and why shouldn't they keep adding tournaments in the different places around the globe? In a world economy where most women's sports tours are in decline, shrinking, and desperate for sponsors and tournaments (see the LPGA), we should be glad that their is room for expansion, and saying no to anything like this would be indeed silly.

Not to mention the notion of tournaments after a tour championships is not foreign in other sports. The PGA tour has their Fall season, which has always been seen as a great opportunity for lower ranked players to shine.

Julian.
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
They should bring back Bali as a regular tournament instead! Bali is such an excellent little tournament. Many players love to play there.

Mynarco
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
They should bring back Bali as a regular tournament instead! Bali is such an excellent little tournament. Many players love to play there.

Agree.

sammy01
Dec 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
and why shouldn't they keep adding tournaments in the different places around the globe? In a world economy where most women's sports tours are in decline, shrinking, and desperate for sponsors and tournaments (see the LPGA), we should be glad that their is room for expansion, and saying no to anything like this would be indeed silly.

Not to mention the notion of tournaments after a tour championships is not foreign in other sports. The PGA tour has their Fall season, which has always been seen as a great opportunity for lower ranked players to shine.

which is all fine if the WTA actually admitted to that. instead they sold people a 'slim-lined' tour called the 'roadmap' that would make it a shorter schedule and would stream line events so that they are more coherent. only it just isn't the case, i have nothing against singapore getting a tournament, i do however take issue with it being after the YEC (there goes the shorter season).

zxcVbnm88
Dec 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Shame to say that I don't know any of them:help:

everythingtaboo
Dec 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM

This.

zxcVbnm88
Dec 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM
It better be indoors :tape:

If it really takes place, I presume the venue would be Singapore Indoor Stadium

M.P
Dec 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
125k??

strictennis
Dec 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
It will Flop! I would like to see who can they afford for the tourny?!?! Serena? Maybe Brie Whitehead...!!!

silverwhite
Dec 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Moudden said Singapore also had the option to hold an event in January or February, but preferred the November slot because there are no other events in the region at that time.

What an idiot :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 16th, 2011, 02:33 PM
They can put within the KL/Pattaya slot.:o

Mattographer
Dec 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
This! I think it's ridiculous not to have an Asian tournament on that week between Pattaya City and Kuala Lumpur :o

dany.p
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM
The wta season should end with the YEC. Would it have been so hard to squeeze it in anywhere between January and October?

Although i have to say it is sort of good though. Gives the lower ranked players more ranking points, and chance to make some extra money.

Surprised they picked november over jan/feb. would think they'd be able to get stronger fields at the start of the year

Julian.
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM

I think they should bring back Bali as a regular tournament and put it in that slot to make a South-East Asian swing.

So we will have : Pattaya (Thailand) - Bali (Indonesia) - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

M.P
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Pattaya (Thailand) - Bali (Indonesia) - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

NA-GOAT
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
so this tournament is after the Sofia MM TOC? :sobbing:

will the winner be eligable for the 2012 MM TOC :oh:

spiceboy
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Singapore looks set to hold its first WTA tennis tournament

WTF?? Singapore hosted a WTA tournament for 6 years, last one in 1994

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_Singapore_Open

Don't they know their own events? :facepalm:

ElusiveChanteuse
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Pattaya (Thailand) - Bali (Indonesia) - Singapore - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

too much..brie whitehead would join either then since there'll be tons of lower ranked players playing there.

Shadowcat
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
With the very low number of audience today, I doubt this will happened. Unless the crowd increases dramatically for the nest 2 days.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1171822/1/.html

zxcVbnm88
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM

I didn't know about it too:help:

zxcVbnm88
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM

What an idiot :lol:

hopeless........:lol:

Shadowcat
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM

You're not alone.

It's the late 80s and early 90s so I don't think much Singaporeans really know or like to watch it.

Shadowcat
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:52 PM

The only one I heard of is Stefanie Tan. :shrug:

Shadowcat
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM

This! I think it's ridiculous not to have an Asian tournament on that week between Pattaya City and Kuala Lumpur :o

This and this!

It will be perfect putting them together.

silverwhite
Dec 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM

The article was written by the Times of India...

spiceboy
Dec 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM

Early 90's was a great time for tennis in South East Asia.

The following cities hosted WTA tournaments back then:

Singapore
Hong Kong
Taipei
Kuala Lumpur
Pattaya
Surabaya
Jakarta *Held the first week of January 1995 had a 56 players MD :worship:

Julian.
Dec 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Early 90's was a great time for tennis in South East Asia.

The following cities hosted WTA tournaments back then:

Singapore
Hong Kong
Taipei
Kuala Lumpur
Pattaya
Surabaya
Jakarta *Held the first week of January 1995 had a 56 players MD :worship:

Hong Kong and Taipei aren't in South East Asia :lol:

But yeah, a great time for tennis in South East Asia indeed. :eek:

spiceboy
Dec 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hong Kong and Taipei aren't in South East Asia :lol:

Oooops :oh:

Adidas Dude
Dec 16th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The tournament calendar is already pretty crowded as it is. Although it would be nice, I can't see Singapore getting more than a Challenger event up and running, whether it be in Jan/Feb or November, which can only be a start to bigger and better things.

moby
Dec 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
This is only a good idea if they're trying to register record-breaking low attendance.

iGOAT
Dec 16th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I love Singapore, but where the hell would this fit in? It would actually make sense for them to hold it the same week as the YEC, as a warm-up and qualification dash for Sofia, but I don't know if this is even allowed :shrug:. Otherwise, maybe the first week of the year, but the field would be tragic.

iGOAT
Dec 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
And I wish Hong Kong could get a tournament to replace the exhibition! Unlikely though :sad:.

Smitten
Dec 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM

With Davenport retired it could be interesting again.

Mynarco
Dec 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
With the very low number of audience today, I doubt this will happened. Unless the crowd increases dramatically for the nest 2 days.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1171822/1/.html

:tape:

the jamierbelyea
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:46 AM
which is all fine if the WTA actually admitted to that. instead they sold people a 'slim-lined' tour called the 'roadmap' that would make it a shorter schedule and would stream line events so that they are more coherent. only it just isn't the case, i have nothing against singapore getting a tournament, i do however take issue with it being after the YEC (there goes the shorter season).

The roadmap and the idea of a shorter season is only a conversation and question for the top elite players who wouldn't be playing Singapore anyway. It's sort of an elite player problem.

The players outside the top 20, and especially the top 50 are always looking for more opportunities to play, hence why so many opt for the ITFs at the end of the season. They have no input and really no credence in the road map or the shorter season conversation.

Shvedbarilescu
Dec 17th, 2011, 06:34 AM
The roadmap and the idea of a shorter season is only a conversation and question for the top elite players who wouldn't be playing Singapore anyway. It's sort of an elite player problem.

The players outside the top 20, and especially the top 50 are always looking for more opportunities to play, hence why so many opt for the ITFs at the end of the season. They have no input and really no credence in the road map or the shorter season conversation.

Magnificent post. Having a few small tournaments in November would not in any way affect the so-called roadmap for the elite players who would all be finishing their season in October at the YEC. But for the players ranked outside the top 20 who wish to play on in November it would be great if a few small WTA events were available for them to do so. Like the ITF events that take place at this time, these could be regarded as part of new season.

cowsonice
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I think they should bring back Bali as a regular tournament and put it in that slot to make a South-East Asian swing.

So we will have : Pattaya (Thailand) - Bali (Indonesia) - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I could really do without this whole swing. :o

coolfish1103
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Just make the season longer with no mandatory tournaments and one can squeeze in more events.

All events occur after the YEC will count towards next year.

tripwires
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I love tennis, but I'm not sure I'd spend money to watch lower-ranked players moonball on a shitty indoors court in a near-empty, freezing cold stadium. I'd probably check it out anyway but it really depends on who competes in it.

duhcity
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I could really do without this whole swing. :o

You know who could use it? Lower ranked players who could really use the money, points, and prestige that could sustain their career.

Anyway, the roadmap is done. They tried it, players still didn't care, go back to the money talks method.

Halepsova
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Shame to say that I don't know any of them:help:

Po Kuen Lam? ;)

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Po Kuen Lam? ;)

Who? :p

Halepsova
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Who? :p

Oops I mean Wei Ping Lee. :lol:

zxcVbnm88
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Po Kuen Lam? ;)

Just googled. female tennis player from hong kong:confused:

Shadowcat
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Oops I mean Wei Ping Lee. :lol:

Once again, who? :p

Halepsova
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Once again, who? :p

How can you not knowing her? She even played Fed Cup for Singapore. :o

Wert.
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
DCzDiX03y3s

sammy01
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM

well tell that to AMG who seems to think at that time of year no europeans will play. this is just another tournament in asia to get a weak entry list and boost the players in and around asia. you only have to look at the asian ITF's to see how weak they are compared to the european ones. also yes even the low ranked girls need a rest hence why there is no 50k or above ITF's going on for about a month now.

no sane mid ranked player will play this after a long season.

coolfish1103
Dec 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
01 Brisbane / Auckland
02 Sydney / Hobart
03 Melbourne
04 Melbourne
05 Fed Cup
06 Paris / Pattaya
07 Doha / Bogota / Surabaya (?)
08 Dubai / Memphis / Monterrey
09 Acapulco / Kuala Lumpur
10 Indian Wells
11 Indian Wells
12 Miami
13 Miami
14 Charleston / Marbella
15 Barcelona / Copenhagen
16 Fed Cup
17 Stuttgart / Fes
18 Budapest / Estoril
19 Madrid
20 Rome
21 Brussels / Strasbourg
22 Roland Garros
23 Roland Garros
24 Birmingham / Cairo
25 Eastbourne / 's-Hertogenbosch
26 Wimbledon
27 Wimbledon
28 Stanford / Palermo
29 San Diego / Bastad
30 Baku / Bad Gastein
31 London Olympics / Washington D.C.
32 Toronto
33 Cincinnati
34 New Haven / Dallas
35 Flushing Meadows
36 Flushing Meadows
37 Tashkent / Quebec City
38 Seoul / Guangzhou
39 Tokyo / Hong Kong (?)
40 Beijing / Taipei (?)
41 Linz / Osaka
42 Moscow / Luxembourg City
43 Istanbul
44 Sofia / Fed Cup

mandynyuna
Dec 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'll love for it to work out but It won't. There are so few tennis fans here. Most people will only pay to watch the big (famous) names like Serena or Maria which the tournament won't be able to attract or afford. Even Sam Stosur who's the biggest name at our exhibition is unknown here to the common Singaporean.

It'll be held indoors, not that it really matters as Singapore has a tropical climate and we're sunny all year around, no four seasons.

Linguae^
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Stop with those Asian tournaments ASAP, it's awful. :o

tripwires
Dec 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see players play in our humidity. The afternoon hot sun. That would be entertaining. :lol:

spiceboy
Dec 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Otherwise, maybe the first week of the year, but the field would be tragic.

Tragically good, you mean. Most European players going to Australia would love to stop there before the OZ Open making the long trip much more bearable and of course Asians would play there too.

cowsonice
Dec 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
You know who could use it? Lower ranked players who could really use the money, points, and prestige that could sustain their career.

Anyway, the roadmap is done. They tried it, players still didn't care, go back to the money talks method.

But they could do without the Asian swing. They're poorly run overall (maybe except Bali) and have spotty fan bases over there. There's no shame in doing ITFs around that time.

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
And where is Singapore going to build the small court for the first couple of round? We are already short of land here.

domon17th
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Too many conditions stacked against us. Venue, weather condition, fan and public interest. Interestingly I don't think the timing of the tournament is a big problem, is just the above conditions that are limiting.

the jamierbelyea
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM
well tell that to AMG who seems to think at that time of year no europeans will play. this is just another tournament in asia to get a weak entry list and boost the players in and around asia. you only have to look at the asian ITF's to see how weak they are compared to the european ones. also yes even the low ranked girls need a rest hence why there is no 50k or above ITF's going on for about a month now.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Anabel Medina-Garrigues of the Spanish 'let's make our eyes squinty' Fed Cup team was the beacon of worldy travel on the WTA Tour.

You're right she is. Singapore is also trying to single handedly make the careers and rankings of all Asian players. They are only trying to stage this event to help Junri Namigata and So Jung Kim reach the pinnacles of their career.

You're also right no one will play this tournament. No will take this opportunity. It'll be a one round battle between Julia Cohen and Sanda Zahlavova, who both will withdraw before their match because the idea of travelling to Asia will be so crippling they will lose their will to play their 40th event of the year. They will both retire, and take up knitting and share a beach house in Florida.

The bottom line of the matter is, regardless of when or where this event takes place, the whole fact this tour can continue to expand and grow larger in a crumbling world economy it's a good thing. Sure there are plenty of weaker Asian events as the Europeans choose not to travel, that's fine. I'm not really sure what you want the Asian players to do in these events? Should they not play them, because the taller white players won't travel to them? Should they offer to donate some of their prize money and ranking points to Katarzyna Piter since she can't afford to get over here?

Pattaya City used to be a random tournament at the end of the year, on it's own that was played opposite the YEC. It got a decent worldly entry list, because it was a beautiful place for holiday and the last chance to gain points at the end of the year. There's no reason Singapore couldn't be the same. It could also bring an added level to the ITFs in Asia at the end of the year, with players being in the area heading into them.

Yes there have been no 50Ks for the month of December, but they aren't intending to put this event in the middle of December. Where they place this tournament will be concurrent with 50Ks and above, which had plenty of players. Regardless of you thinking they need rest or not, does not mistake the fact that there will be players in this event in November, and if they aren't here they will be playing somewhere.

I'd reckon 50Ks if they had them this week would still get a full entry list.

longtin23
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
And I wish Hong Kong could get a tournament to replace the exhibition! Unlikely though :sad:.

I agree. But in Hong Kong, no one care about tennis, they know nothing but only about Li Na, Zheng Jie and Ivanovic, not even Peng Shuai... They just watch football and NBA, so it's quite hard to have a regular tournament without sponsors...

PhilePhile
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:47 AM
And where is Singapore going to build the small court for the first couple of round? We are already short of land here.

S'pore Indoor Stadium to close for renovations in 2012
k_FI8Bw7l8k

and it will be part of this:

io7qyrn_gt8

SwingVolley93
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Where Is A Link For The Singapore Website And Stream For The Exo Final Today?!

rockstar
Dec 18th, 2011, 06:42 AM
sheesh, why are the singaporeans here such a negative bunch! most people would be happy to have a tournament in their country

New
Dec 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Seriously, I thank those that DARED to organise the latest exhibition event and let the WTA players come. Watching them play make me want to play more and I hope the juniors would want to play more eagerly and we have a bigger pool of tennis players to pick from!:D

To those who always like to criticise everything, just VOLUNTEER to take over the organising. It is always easy to comment, but nobody wants to take up the responsibility of carrying it out. Everyone is waiting for someone to do the job and expects a great job done. Sure it wasn't that smooth and some parts (I want everyone's signature! Win or lose!) are a bit messed up, but I know if this is a constant event, they will improve with each year (more alert ballboys and line judge pls!). So let's have a tennis tournament!:bounce:

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
S'pore Indoor Stadium to close for renovations in 2012
k_FI8Bw7l8k

and it will be part of this:

io7qyrn_gt8

Yes but the Singapore Sports Hub won't be ready until 2014 if not it will extend it later. If we are going to held a WTA next year, where are we going to held it? Including the small courts? There are really no space. We can't have every match to take at the Indoor Stadium, it will take like forever.

chingching
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe it's one of those 125K WTA was talking about. :shrug:

Are they creating new challengers?

Meelis
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Are they creating new challengers?

Yes, WTA is trying to create a challenger tour (similar to ATP). 2012 will be a test year and first two challengers will be played in November.

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, WTA is trying to create a challenger tour (similar to ATP). 2012 will be a test year and first two challengers will be played in November.

But it's not a hundred percent confirm right?

Meelis
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
But it's not a hundred percent confirm right?

Stacey Allaster confirmed in an interview, that WTA challenger tour will start in November. No idea, if Singapore wants to be part of that or real WTA tour.

Shadowcat
Dec 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Stacey Allaster confirmed that WTA challenger tour will start in November. No idea, if Singapore wants to be part of that or real WTA tour.

Do you have any sources on this?

JustPetko
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Stacey Allaster confirmed in an interview, that WTA challenger tour will start in November. No idea, if Singapore wants to be part of that or real WTA tour.

Challenger YEC too? :facepalm:

terjw
Dec 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Ridiculous to have anything after the YEC that isn't just a Challenger.

tanman
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM

The wta roadmap was a nice idea but it really doesnt work because now you have everybody playing every week between January and September. Nobody takes time during the season to train. The thought that no mid ranked player would come is crazy, alot of girls would be trying to be Australian Open main draw or qualies.

Zhao
Dec 19th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Haven't they learnt their lesson? Remember Heineken Open? :rolleyes:
Its a loss venture...just look at the empty seats in Beijing