PDA

View Full Version : Teen burns self with 'jackass' - type stunt

Raisin
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:55 PM
SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- A 15-year-old Washington state boy suffered serious burns when he set himself on fire trying to re-enact a stunt similar to those from MTV's controversial show "Jackass," though an MTV spokesperson noted the stunt the boy tried had never appeared on the show or in the recent movie based on the show.

The boy from the Seattle suburb of Bellevue, Washington, soaked his shirt in rubbing alcohol late on Friday and ignited it while his friends stood by with a video camera shooting footage they planned to sell, police and local media reported.

After suffering first-degree burns over his face and upper body, the teen-ager initially told police that someone had set his clothes on fire while he walked on a trail after attending a high school football game in Issaquah, Washington, police said.

But police later recovered a backpack containing an alcohol-soaked T-shirt, lighter fluid and a video camera.

"The stunt obviously went very wrong," Issaquah police said in a statement, adding that the boy could face obstruction of justice charges for lying about the incident, requiring extra police work.

The "Jackass" show depicting outrageous and dangerous stunts by paid actors aired on Viacom Inc.'s youth-oriented MTV in 2000 and 2001 and then was canceled. However, a movie version opened in theaters three weeks ago and has raked in $53.3 million at the box office.

The movie includes the following disclaimer: "The stunts in this movie were performed by professionals, so, neither you nor your dumb buddies should attempt anything from this movie."

"We're sorry when anybody gets hurt; however, nothing like this incident described ever aired on the show or in the movie," said an MTV spokeswoman.

In 2001, "Jackass" star Johnny Knoxville donned a fireproof suit covered in steaks and was set on fire to become a human barbecue. A teen-ager who tried to duplicate the stunt was hospitalized with severe burns.

Injuries allegedly tied to "Jackass" or young imitators have sparked several lawsuits against MTV and Viacom.

Last month, a California woman sued claiming she suffered spine and knee injuries when a "Jackass" cast member knocked her over after slamming himself into a lectern on a stage in a stunt filmed for a similar pilot program that never aired.

carot
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:00 PM
I can't believe that MTV censors out 'words' like fuck but then has a show like Jackass. It's like thé exemple of bad taste imo.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry, but anyone who copies these stunts then tries to blame the show IS a jackass.

Get some freakin' brains people.

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Yeah, it's nothing to do with MTV or Jackass at all.

If your stupid enough to set your shirt on fire I think it's pretty obvious what's gonna happen! :rolleyes:

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:02 PM
i love Jackass:D

it's so lame to blame tv shows and etc. when they are being stupid.... :rolleyes: damn ppl... grow up and take some resposibility!

sartrista7
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:53 PM
I have no sympathy whatsoever. If he'd died, at least it would have raised the average IQ of humanity by a few points.

DutchieGirl
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:40 PM
lol@sartrista!

He should have the brains to realise what's gonna happen.

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:41 PM
how stupid of the fool! :eek:

Chris
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:53 AM
omg....thats a real jackass.

Barrie_Dude
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Well, Jackass is an incredibly stupid show and I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to watch it. But, it takes an incredible ignoramus to set himself on fire!

Jetta
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:24 PM
well......he is from Bellevue..... :rolleyes:

Barrie_Dude
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Ohhhhhhhh........ So he's crazy? Well, duh! I guess that's obvious!Silly Me!:rolleyes:

Raisin
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Well, Jackass is an incredibly stupid show and I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to watch it. But, it takes an incredible ignoramus to set himself on fire!

Exactly Barrie_Dude