PDA

View Full Version : Have fun all-I'm taking some time off

Rollo
Dec 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Posted by Newmark
^^^ Great work on the Australian and New Zealand tournaments, Graham. Pity there is no one "moderating" on this website who can really appreciate what you're doing.

When I get posts like this it makes me want to rethink moderating this board. I do appreciate what Graham and others do for the board. Appreciate that I spend countless hours working to make this board better. I do that while working full time. Appreciate that at times I get tired. This is one of those periods.

Perhaps I'd be better off spending my time elsewhere. Perhaps the Blast would be better off with a new mod at the helm.

I'm taking time off until at least January 1 to think about my future here. When I return I'll let the forum know if I wish to continue as mod or return as a regular poster.

Have fun in the meantime, and here's to a happy 2012 for everyone.

"The moderator"

alfajeffster
Dec 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
When I get posts like this it makes me want to rethink moderating this board. I do appreciate what Graham and others do for the board. Appreciate that I spend countless hours working to make this board better. I do that with while working full time. Appreciate that at times I get tired. This is one of those periods.

Perhaps I'd be better off spending my time elsewhere. Perhaps the Blast would be better off with a new mod at the helm.

I'm taking time off until at least January 1 to think about my future here. When I return I'll let the forum know if I wish to continue as mod or return as a regular poster.

Have fun in the meantime, and here's to a happy 2012 for everyone.

"The moderator"

Well, I can't remember seeing you complain, even when (IMO) you had justification. Having met you only confirmed what I suspected, Bill- you're a good man, and so while you will be missed, everybody needs to unplug now and again. Oh, and if you plan on doing anything wild in your time away- remember, the morning after pill is still legal for at least a year, and you are over 17!

GeeTee
Dec 15th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Dear Rollo, I hope you have a great Christmas break and can come back here rejuvenated.

You have been moderating the board for many years and I appreciate you can get tired. Heck, I get tired of being here at times (as I've said to you in PMs before) and it's not a responsibility for me as it is for you.

I think you do a great job in a tough environment and I appreciate all the thanks and support you've given me for the results and research I've posted in BFTP.

We probably don't thank you nearly enough for dealing with things in such an even-handed manner.

On the other hand it might be good to see you contributing as a normal :tape: poster, where you might be able to say what you really think on occasion! :devil: :drool:

Hope Santa brings you something nice!

alfajeffster
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hey, I have a new car with a sunroof, how about you and I do the Thelma and Louise thing and drive across state, pick up a young Brad Pitt for a quickie, then rob a few convenience stores on the way to Mexico? I have a nice shiny black car, so I'm not going anywhere near the Grand Canyon dust. You'll make it to Mexico with me- just not so sure your partner will approve. We may have to keep him busy with pizza and an overcrowded keychain, but a few minutes is all we'll need!

Calvin M.
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for everything, Rollo! Go recharge your batteries. We'll respect whatever you decide. Enjoy the time off and Happy Holidays!

Helen Lawson
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Sorry, hon! I read a lot more in BFTP than I post, you are a great moderator, I hope you will return.

nelslus
Dec 17th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Here's a thought- if everyone promised to at least try to show respect for everyone (if not- horrors- actually acting friendly to others- which this site HAD been about, years ago)- maybe Rollo might choose to stick around. Otherwise- who exactly do you all think would actually want to moderate this site as it stands? Either this group is going to decide that, hey, this site is about FREAKIN' RETIRED WOMEN TENNIS PLAYERS, so lighten up already- or, it'll continue to slowly fall apart- as I've seen happening for awhile now. For those who still truly care (not me in particular anymore- albeit, I'm still rooting for this site's welfare from a distance)- I'd say it's time to take all of this very seriously. If all of this has gotten to Rollo finally- truly, things have gone too far for far too long. IMO, the bickering and personal attacks once and for all must stop. (While still also trying as much as possible to solve your own problems- sheeesh, give Rollo a break. Anyone who has ever led a group knows how frustrating it can be if everyone doesn't take responsibility for a group.)

Anyways, I'll check back every now and then. Thank you, Rollo, for being a gentleman, and working so hard on this site- I very much appreciate you and your efforts. (P.S. Sorry in advance for being a grouch here. AH, well.)

DavidK
Dec 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Mark, I don't know whether you are including me in your comments about "moderating". And I don't know in what sense you mean "appreciate". For the record, I am very grateful for the research Graham continues to do and that adds to our joint effort. I enjoy reading it the first time and I honor it by my work in editing into the chonological results listings. If you mean "appreciate" in that I don't know what is involved in the historical research, that is true - I have never gone digging in old newpsapers and so probably don't realize how much time goes into the products that our historians, including you, devote to this.

I am angry that you would take a verbal swipe at Rollo, not your first, in light of this huge structure that he created and maintains and that so many of us enjoy.

Everyone -
I see myself as an assistant results editor and not a "moderator". For now I will continue editing in some of the contributions that Jimbo, Graham, Mark and others have made. I'm about 45 days behind and have neglected Ugarte's more recent years while I've tried to catch up on the older results. I have limited time for this and some of it is tedious and so at times I get bogged down waiting to be in particularly patient mood.

I have not read and will not now read posts in the threads about recent players like Sabatini or Graf or Evert etc. or topics that appear to be more conversational than historical, so they are not being moderated by me.

"Fun" was a great word to use in the title to this thread. Playing around with tennis results and rankings is fun for me. Writing this response has not been.

David

ugarte
Dec 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Dear Bill
I Hope You Have A Good Break And You Have An Happy Christmas Too
I Think Your Contribution In This Site Is Amazing And Your Work Excellent.

Good Luck Sincerely
Best Regards Miguel

idzznew
Dec 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Rollo,

Best holiday wishes from me at www.tennisarchives.com
I think you are doing a great job here!
Hope you will return in doing so next year

Alex

Jem
Dec 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Rollo, those in the know KNOW you are the BEST MODERATOR EVER! Enjoy your time away -- I've had to do that myself a bit this year to recharge and refresh! Happy New Year to come!

tennisvideos
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Rollo I certainly have appreciated all the hard work you have done over the years. And you have been so supportive of myself in your private messages when I have been down in the dumps too regarding the forum.

Take a well deserved break and let's hope that people can focus on the tennis here, the great achievements of the champions gone before us, without denigrating any of them or trying to tear them down in order to prop your own favourites up. It's a tennis forum, so I also think we shouldn't be ripping apart the champions based on what they have done off the court. Anyway, just my 2 cents here. I have been tempted, and still am, to walk away from these forums myself when I see players being slagged off for either things outside of their control when they played or for their beliefs. It's all about respecting ourselves AND the players. And respecting their beliefs as well. Who are we to be judge and jury.

tommystar
Dec 27th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Rollo!

Have a great holiday!!

I still remember with huge gratitude when I was a new member of wtaworld and started posting in General Messages, Rollo invited me here to the Blast through a PM, to come here because in this section everyhing is talked in a high quality conversation about the past of that wonderful sport.
So, I came here, and read and learned many great stories about that past of tennis, about great champions, old tornaments and everything.
I'll never forget when I started to create a homepage about the mixed doubles which scores are very hard to find, Rollo was one of the first amongst a few guys from here who helped me, sending a lot old draws, and always admired my passion.
Even when I wrote a topic about Suzy Körmöczy, Rollo immediately gratulated and sent me results, and appriciated my work.

And Rollo is the host of my favourite topic - The Match Points Down-Thread, which is great!

So, Rollo, thank you for your great work what you've done to care for the memories of past players, old tourneis, which are very rare, and those storiesare real treasures!

Don't give up, the negative comments hurt more, but look around the positive opinions are the more!

DennisFitz
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:47 AM
When I first read the Newmark comment about pity no one "moderating" nor appreciating what is posted on these boards, I thought it must be a joke of some kind, some insider info I wasn't privy to. Afterall, how could any regular poster claim no one is moderating, or not demonstrating real understanding or appreciation.
In any case, I seriously hope Rollo is not chased away. At the same time, as a volunteer gig, it's also important to take breaks, and do what is best for oneself, tennis message boards be damned!!

So I do hope Rollo is having fun no matter what. And seriously:
THANK YOU
GRACIAS
GRAZIE
MERCI
DANKE
MAHALO
for being the Moderator Extraordinaire at tennisforum.com!

alfajeffster
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
When I first read the Newmark comment about pity no one "moderating" nor appreciating what is posted on these boards, I thought it must be a joke of some kind, some insider info I wasn't privy to. Afterall, how could any regular poster claim no one is moderating, or not demonstrating real understanding or appreciation.
In any case, I seriously hope Rollo is not chased away. At the same time, as a volunteer gig, it's also important to take breaks, and do what is best for oneself, tennis message boards be damned!!

So I do hope Rollo is having fun no matter what. And seriously:
THANK YOU
GRACIAS
GRAZIE
MERCI
DANKE
MAHALO
for being the Moderator Extraordinaire at tennisforum.com!

On a personal note, Bill has the most silly, infectious laugh- you know, the kind that makes you laugh just hearing it. And he's not too hard on the eyes, either! He's a lefty southpaw from hell, and I happily balked at the chance to hit with him a few years ago- I NEVER COULD STAND PLAYING LEFTIES, it would've been torture for me. Seriously, Rollo is one of the main reasons I come here, and were it not for him and just a small handful of others I've actually met or spoke with in person from BFTP, I would've stopped visiting here long ago.

Rollo
Jan 25th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I want to thank everyone who took the time to express your kind thoughts and support both here and in PM's. It made a world of difference-the difference- in my decision to go on as moderator here.

DavidK has been working his "bahoolas" off updating a raft full of results. Call yourself "assistant results editor" if you like David, but you are a #1 co-mod in my view.

:worship:

Lets have fun this year all!:bounce:

tennisvideos
Jan 26th, 2012, 01:57 AM
I want to thank everyone who took the time to express your kind thoughts and support both here and in PM's. It made a world of difference-the difference- in my decision to go on as moderator here.

DavidK has been working his "bahoolas" off updating a raft full of results. Call yourself "assistant results editor" if you like David, but you are a #1 co-mod in my view.

Welcome back Rollo and you hit the nail on the head - it's all about having FUN! That is what life is meant to be.

:) :bounce: :worship:

DennisFitz
Jan 26th, 2012, 06:07 AM

The year is now officially off to a good, fun start with this news! :D :worship: :bounce:

BCP
Jan 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
:aparty::banana: Welcome back.....

alfajeffster
Jan 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM
By the way, was it the petition for an Oscar nomination that I circulated that brought you back to us? The Iron Lady has to put up with a plethora of parliamentary piss-ants in order to get things accomplished. Little do people know Meryl was one of your chief supporters, and is expected to dedicate her statue to none other than- Rollo! Rumor has it you were her stand-in double. Any truth to this?

Rollo
Jan 27th, 2012, 05:11 PM
By the way, was it the petition for an Oscar nomination that I circulated that brought you back to us? The Iron Lady has to put up with a plethora of parliamentary piss-ants in order to get things accomplished. Little do people know Meryl was one of your chief supporters, and is expected to dedicate her statue to none other than- Rollo! Rumor has it you were her stand-in double. Any truth to this?

That was you Jeff? Thank yao Thank yao thank yao. (imagine that with a posh accent). Yes, I was a stand in for Mags (that's Thatcher-not Court). Mighty proud of myself if I might say so. There was a slight hitch as there was firece competition for the part. Somehow Helen Lawson got sidetracked with downing too many martinis-the rest is history.

tommystar
Jan 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome Back, Rollo!! The Greatest Mod Ever!!!

Helen Lawson
Jan 28th, 2012, 11:03 PM
That was you Jeff? Thank yao Thank yao thank yao. (imagine that with a posh accent). Yes, I was a stand in for Mags (that's Thatcher-not Court). Mighty proud of myself if I might say so. There was a slight hitch as there was firece competition for the part. Somehow Helen Lawson got sidetracked with downing too many martinis-the rest is history.

They offered me a new Cadillac to do Granny Get Your Gun 4, so I had to pass on the stand-in gig. ;)

Rollo
Jan 30th, 2012, 05:58 PM
They offered me a new Cadillac to do Granny Get Your Gun 4, so I had to pass on the stand-in gig. ;)

What's your hit tune from this gig? Anything you can do I can do better-cause I've been doing it longer?