PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane 2012: CANCELLED!

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I know it's a long time until the tournament starts, but I wanted to know what your opinions are about her playing in Brisbane.

Maria is the 1# seed, and I want a match with Kim so bad.

Emina.
Dec 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Go maria!! :rocker2:

s teddy
Dec 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
:cheer:

Mashabator
Dec 12th, 2011, 02:54 AM
So excited, i just wanna see her hot face on the court again :D

Steven.
Dec 12th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I hope she does deep! It'll be a good warm-up for AO. :) No Greta Arn-like losses please...

doomsday
Dec 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I want a match with Kim and I want her serve back, she better play well and win the title. Please, just avoid Serena unless you're playing some GOAT tennis.

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
A win over Kim would boost her confidence me thinks.

Hopefully she fixed that serve in the off season, and lets see what she does here.

gociku
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I really have no idea what to expect from her in 2012 :tape: That serve needs a major repair, she's not going anywhere without it :sobbing:

doooma6816
Dec 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I hope she will do well...serve has to improve and her groundstrokes must be at least 90% of old Masha.
A win over top player would be great, especially over Kim.

Reptilia
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The off season has gone so fast :eek: Not long till Brisbane!

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 17th, 2011, 10:04 PM
IKR :eek:. Can't wait for this tournament to start :cheer:.

Andy.
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Super Super excited for this tournament!!!

Just one thing....do we have to have the phrase 'snatching wigs' in the thread title. I mean we are not in Serena's forum or anything.

Charlatan
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Just one thing....do we have to have the phrase 'snatching wigs' in the thread title. I mean we are not in Serena's forum or anything.

:oh:

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM

:oh:. Give a suggestion mind you :p

Charlatan
Dec 18th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Although I'd love her to snatch wigs like your thread title said, the apt phrase would be 'struggle through' ... :rolleyes:

madmax
Dec 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM
who cares...just please peak for AO and storm through that field 08 style Mashenka:cheer:

domon17th
Dec 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
madmax, I do think that if she showed an inkling of decent form in Brisbane (Do not have to win the tournament, mind you), she'd stand in good stead for the big one at Melbourne. Afterall, she's never a win-it-all from nowhere player like Serena. She needs some form.

claypova
Dec 22nd, 2011, 01:47 AM
this thread was opened so early :eek::lol:

go Maria :cheer:

Trih
Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:24 AM
Posting in just now, but I already can't wait since the beginning of december :D

Lachy
Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Subscribze, ajde bishes DO this Mash!

**mashafierce**
Dec 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Well i just want to she her play again.I do wish for a couple of wins though

Fighterpova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
It would be nice if she got a couple of wins in Brisbane to get some form and then hopefully finally reach a QF of a hard court major after 4 years :eek:

claypova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:09 AM
my predictions:

BRISBANE: SF
AO: SF

:lol: semipova ftw :cheer:

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Brisbane SF :eek:. Not if she faces Rena in R2 :oh::tape:.

Anyway I want her to reach the second week of AO. I had a dream last night, with the draw of the AO coming out and Kim was her 3rd round opponent :sobbing:. Is that even possible?

atominside
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:34 PM

Anyway I want her to reach the second week of AO. I had a dream last night, with the draw of the AO coming out and Kim was her 3rd round opponent :sobbing:. Is that even possible?

no.

Charlatan
Dec 23rd, 2011, 05:45 PM

You think Kim would not be seeded? :p

atominside
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Kim is number 13 or 12 right now ,no? And you do meet seeded players in the 3rd round. If maria and kim or serena:sad: were to meet early, they can meet in the 4th round.

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Sounds more like a Quarter-Final match. If both end up in the same side of the draw..

For someone that came for a serious ankle injury, reach the second week of AO, is something to celebrate..

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:37 PM

In my dream she was seeded. And Maria beat Petra in the semis btw :oh:. The dream stopped in the final. Hopefully it wasn't gonna be a thrash from Rena :sobbing:.

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Brisbane International - Australian Open Series
‎Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from the tournament with an ankle injury. We wish her a speedy recovery in time for the Australian Open

Brisbane International - Australian Open Series
Maria Sharapova has pulled out of the Brisbane International with an ankle injury. Unfortunate for Maria, we hope she fully recovers for Australian Open. Meanwhile, we can't wait for main draw action to start 1 January.

:sad:

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I don't know what to think :sobbing: I hope it's just that the start of her offseason training was delayed by a couple of weeks because of the ankle injury and she doesn't think she's ready to go yet, rather than it being that the injury is still bothering her NOW :unsure:

Sydney wildcard please. Going into the AO cold wouldn't be good ATALL.

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:00 AM
going to sydney would be a dream come true :oh:

but that aint happening. hope she recovers well for the AO :hug:

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:02 AM
this doesnt make sense :confused: is this real?

lefty24
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:32 AM
My heard just sunk.

Lachy
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:34 AM
She says she will be fine for the AO so that is the main thing :hug:

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 01:59 AM
She says she will be fine for the AO so that is the main thing :hug:

she said she was ok for the yec.

Ankle injury means = bad offseason with minimum practice.

I hope that this is just an excuse for more practice :shrug: sigh. fuck this.

Charlatan
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:04 AM
honestly, I don't really expect anything big from her at AO now that her ankle is still bothering her. :(

Crux Squall
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:22 AM
unlucky :(

gc-spurs
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Wait whuttttt?!?! NO. Decline.

Trih
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Can't believe it.
What a nice way to wake up the day before christmas. :hysteric:
I really hope it's just a big precaution looking for AO. :[:[:[

Trih
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:00 AM
should we stop making threads about tournaments too early? :sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Serena didn't play an AO warm-up in 2005 too. The Kvitova/Sharapova 'corssed' fate is real and happening as we speak! :eek:

claypova
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:31 AM
so .. Maria is suppose to win this Australian Open?

.... :haha:

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Gonna be 4 years since our last slam :shrug:

Andy.
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:15 AM
It doesnt make sence to me. She injured herself ages ago so this is obviously a very serious injury I dont understand how 2 extra weeks is going to make so much difference. This is really crap.

doomsday
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
It doesnt make sence to me. She injured herself ages ago so this is obviously a very serious injury I dont understand how 2 extra weeks is going to make so much difference. This is really crap.

Yep I expect her to show up and fight like crazy but it's not gonna be enough IMO, another loss before 4th at major it seems, fuck my fucking life.

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wait What :eek:. How come she withdrew from here, is just silly. She was perfectly fine and I don't believe that the ankle is bothering her in such short notice. She must have seen the field and ran away :sobbing:.

Anyway fuck me, I'm so unlucky. She needs a WC into Sydney or else a 1st round loss at the AO is likely to happen.

Marilyn Monheaux
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
WTF? :weirdo:

AniaSharapova
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Exactly.

It looks like it's really dangerous injury. If she's not ready to play in Brisbane I don't think so she'll be ready for AO. I don't understand it too how 2 weeks is going to change everything for better.

Fighterpova
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I don't understand :sad:
SHe injured her ankle in September,r I thought it was a minor injury and forgotten all about it :awww:

Get well for AO Mashenka :hug:

Reptilia
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
:tears::tears::tears:

Steven.
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM
come on, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think it was a minor injury. Her ankle swelled up instantly and she had to retire on the spot. Came back for YEC and she hardly looked okay, struggling to move even moreso than usual. I'm sure she's much better now, and I'm sure this is just a precaution in order to not overexert herself during the Australian Open.

She'll be okay, trust me guys!

Andy.
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah but it seems like an unusually long time to recover from a non-broken ankle injury.

Sasja
Dec 24th, 2011, 10:50 AM
:bigcry:

Been a while now since she injured her ankle :unsure:
Hopefully she WD just to give a little bit extra time to train and prepare for the AO.

AniaSharapova
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
come on, you guys are kidding yourselves if you think it was a minor injury. Her ankle swelled up instantly and she had to retire on the spot. Came back for YEC and she hardly looked okay, struggling to move even moreso than usual. I'm sure she's much better now, and I'm sure this is just a precaution in order to not overexert herself during the Australian Open.

She'll be okay, trust me guys!

Right, but we all had hope that after 3 months everything will be OK with her ankle.
Hope it's only precaution because she wanna be 100% healthy for AO.

It doesn't really hurt me that she pulled out from Brisbane, last year she played in Auckland and it didn't help her so much.
I just miss her and it's sad that after all what she's been through she has to start new season with injury :(

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:57 AM
:confused:

Bad News.. Well, now she have about 20 days to recover completely. I'm starting to thinking if she will really play the AO.. :confused:

Crux Squall
Dec 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM
i believe She can play

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM
To hell with Brissy and AO if her ankle is badly re-injured. She needs to recover fully, first and foremost.

nelsondan
Dec 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM
This is probably worthless information...but...the st. Louis rams from the national football league, who have almost accidentally won two games while losing all the others, have a key player...supposedly a star of the future with this injury. Quarter back Sam Bradford had his injury about the same time as Maria. A couple of differences....they would not let him practice, but then they would let him play, and he has reinjured it 2 or 3 times. I thought that was kind of crazy....the coach is in danger of losing his job, and some have speculated that is why he kept letting him play, in hopes of winning a game. He cannot play today.

If Maria is being careful with this injury, that might be a good thing. It will eventually heal. We have not seen her for a couple of weeks...if she is not practicing, she will need to be careful about her weight...I thought she looked the same two weeks ago, some said she looked bigger.

It is really important to her future to not be playing in a situation where she could make it worse. I wonder if that happened when she was practicing.

pov
Dec 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah but it seems like an unusually long time to recover from a non-broken ankle injury.

". Grade 3 is the most serious of the grades, and can take the longest to heal. This sprain can take 8-12 weeks to fully heal if you don’t use the right techniques."

And playing in the YEC was definitely not part of the "right techniques". I hope that those who think it isn't really an injury pull-out are correct.

"Grade 1 usually only requires a week or 2 of recovery time. It is also associated with minor swelling and pain"
So depending on how much it's healed another 1 - 2 weeks can give the process time to complete.

denny5576
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
To hell with Brissy and AO if her ankle is badly re-injured. She needs to recover fully, first and foremost.
Maria did not say anything about re-injury. And had confirmed the ankle is 100% OK few weeks ago. And on December 19th was getting ready for Australia..
So the facts lead to other conclusions...

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Maria did not say anything about re-injury. And had confirmed the ankle is 100% OK few weeks ago. And on December 19th was getting ready for Australia..
So the facts lead to other conclusions...
Well I'm concluding that she re-injured her ankle from all the info you mentioned there, because judging from all that she was ready to play Brisbane but obviously something must have interfered recently. I'm not sure what a different reason could be.

Perhaps something with her new fitness coach with the Japanse name I don't remember, had a regime planned out for Maria that took longer than planned to get used to and that lead to lack of match practice and she indeed just withdrew from Brissy to practice more. I don't know, I'm just grasping at straws/brainstorming here. :lol:

BuckJaysRock
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
hopefully she gets better for the aussie open

Jack89
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
It would be nice if Maria could have just one year where she was injury free.

Sharapovian
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hopefully she hasn't re-injured her ankle and just withdrew out of precaution. Hopefully she'll be ready for AO, but really just hope the ankle heals fully before she tries to come back.

Charlatan
Dec 24th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Serena didn't play an AO warm-up in 2005 too. The Kvitova/Sharapova 'corssed' fate is real and happening as we speak! :eek:

so maria is gonna come back from a set and a break down and save those match points in the similar fashion serena did in 05 semi and pull it out together in a semi against petra? :drool:

:lol:

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I had to pull out of the Brisbane tournament yesterday.
My ankle only recently started feeling good and therefore I want to make sure I'm fully ready for the coming year by not rushing into things too fast.
On the other hand, its Christmas Eve and you know how much I love to play Santa! Still have a few presents to wrap. Got a bit carried away at the Grand Bazaar in Turkey a week ago, so many beautiful things!
Wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday!

:)

dsanders06
Dec 24th, 2011, 06:43 PM
OK, that's a iittle more reassuring :)

I still think she should enter Sydney and get atleast a couple of matches under her belt heading into the AO ... but I won't hold my breath.

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, I had to pull out of the Brisbane tournament yesterday.
My ankle only recently started feeling good and therefore I want to make sure I'm fully ready for the coming year by not rushing into things too fast. On the other hand, its Christmas Eve and you know how much I love to play Santa! Still have a few presents to wrap. Got a bit carried away at the Grand Bazaar in Turkey a week ago, so many beautiful things!
Wishing everyone a wonderful Holiday!

from her Facebook :D

i just posted that before you:rolleyes:

Masha Fierce
Dec 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
i just posted that before you:rolleyes:

Sorry , didn't see it :p

Break My Rapture
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Umpf so thankful for that update. :lol:

Reptilia
Dec 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I'm gutted about this! :awww:

s teddy
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Good to know it's just precautionary. Now she'd better use that extra week to practice hard and get ready to snatch some wigs win that title at the Australian Open. :rocker2:

Kitten63
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
This really sucks :sad:

Get well soon Masha.:hug:

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Thank God. I was wondering there for a while if she was to play the AO :sobbing:. Hopefully she'll take a WC into Sydney.

atominside
Dec 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hopefully she'll take a WC into Sydney.

Not going to happen.:lol:

Steven.
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Can I say 'I told you so' or what? :angel:

Trih
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Ok, I feel a little better. :)

Nina.
Dec 25th, 2011, 11:26 AM
oh well :spit:

18majors
Dec 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Good news!

MM_1257
Dec 25th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hm, she was in Turkey last week? :hehehe: well, we shall see what is she planning to do next. Maybe it is better, the season will be extremely difficult.

Maria Croft
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM
To me it just feels like she didn't think she needed to play a small tournament and that she's prepared well enough for the AO, we shall see.

s_j
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:35 AM
But it's not really a small tournament though... It's a Premier with a strong field. Let's just hope she is just being overly cautious and isn't hiding the fact she's hurt it again.

Nina.
Dec 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM
So this year she is playing absolutely nothing before the AO, right?
I don't think I like that very much...

Mistress of Evil
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
This sucks!

doooma6816
Dec 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm glad her ankle is ok, but playing AO without any match practice...I hope she knows what she's doing.

doomsday
Dec 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM
So this year she is playing absolutely nothing before the AO, right?
I don't think I like that very much...

Back in the days it wasn't an issue she could show up w/o any matches and you just know she would reach the latter stages but today this is indeed a bit worrying. She absolutely needs few matches.

madmax
Dec 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Back in the days it wasn't an issue she could show up w/o any matches and you just know she would reach the latter stages but today this is indeed a bit worrying. She absolutely needs few matches.

she didn't play single match between RG and Wimby this summer, but that didn't stop her from reaching first slam final in 3 years...I think she knows what she is doing and I trust her team to know better too. The main thing for her is to finally get fully fit and healthy.

Marilyn Monheaux
Dec 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
she didn't play single match between RG and Wimby this summer, but that didn't stop her from reaching first slam final in 3 years...I think she knows what she is doing and I trust her team to know better too. The main thing for her is to finally get fully fit and healthy.

That was a break of two weeks... not two months... apples and oranges...

doomsday
Dec 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
That was a break of two weeks... not two months... apples and oranges...

I agree and on HC I feel like she needs more matches than on any other surface these days.

MM_1257
Dec 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
IMHO she does need matches, but hm, I have an impression that she is not planning to rush her career...

Qetusi
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM
@TennisReporters Matt Cronin
Here's what I know about Sharapova: Ankle should be fine but she's mad she can't play Bris. My educated guess is she tweaked it in practice
1 hour ago

Break My Rapture
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Great now Cronin is hinting that she's still carrying the injury.

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
She's gonna play at the Aussie Open I think that's for sure :shrug:. Maybe she was afraid that she would re injure her ankle in Brisbane and she was going to lose on the 2nd or QF round anyway so what the hell. See her in Melbourne :yeah:.

Fighterpova
Dec 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
There is a side of the story that Maria's been hiding from us. This is obviously turning into another freak injury and we know it.

How an ankle can be screwed up for that long is beyond me, I remember when she injured her ankle in Miami, the pain went away 2 days after :help:

Then again, all injuries are different, but if she does skip the AO, I would be really worried :unsure:

Please Masha, get well soon :hug: :awww:

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM
@TennisReporters Matt Cronin
Here's what I know about Sharapova: Ankle should be fine but she's mad she can't play Bris. My educated guess is she tweaked it in practice
1 hour ago

There is a possibility of someone from her Staff, have underestimated the severity of the injury?? :confused:

There's a smell of incompetence in the air.. :help:

MM_1257
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Maria, inform us what exactly is going on since we are all going CRAZY.

nelsondan
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM
We have not seen a new photo of Maria since december 10?

nelsondan
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
how would cronin know what he knows?

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 26th, 2011, 11:51 PM
how would cronin know what he knows?

I don't think he knows something

@TennisReporters Matt Cronin: My educated guess is she tweaked it in practice

He guess?? :help:

Trih
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I don't think he knows something

He guess?? :help:

^ this.. how can a reporter say "I guess"? Everyone could "guess"...
Then I guess this: if she really is mad (as it's written above) then maybe she would have played Brisbane like she played YEC, but somehow her staff/coach stopped her from doing that because of precaution... ?

:help:

MM_1257
Dec 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Guessing is bad for the heart ;). He loves to guess with Masha, I do not think he likes her a lot. Anyway let's wait for her to tell us something or simply wait to see her on court.

atominside
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Its karma for golovin :sobbing:

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 27th, 2011, 08:18 PM
At least, was a "Educated guess"... :rolleyes:

Slampova
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Hobart chance to lure Russian Maria by: Adam Smith From: The Mercury December 28, 2011 9:05AM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text

RUSSIAN glamour girl Maria Sharapova could make a shock appearance at the Moorilla Hobart International next month.
The three-time Grand Slam champion withdrew from the Brisbane International which kicks off this Sunday on Christmas Eve due to an ankle injury but with the Hobart main draw not starting until January 8, the extra week could prove the sealer.

Tournament director Mark Handley told the Mercury yesterday he has spoken to Sharapova's management team about the possibility of her joining the 2012 field.

Australians Casey Dellacqua and rising star Ashleigh Barty have been handed two of the four Hobart wildcards, and Handley will now hold on to another for as long as possible while the lure of landing Sharapova remains.

Handley also revealed he is still in contact with Venus Williams, but is less optimistic about securing the American compared to Sharapova.

Williams has not played an official match since her first-round victory at the US Open after being diagnosed with
Sjogren's syndrome, and pulled out of the ASB Classic in Auckland, putting her Australian Open campaign in doubt.

Sharapova first hurt her left ankle at the Pan Pacific Championships in Tokyo in September, and was forced to withdraw from the China Open and later the WTA Championships in Istanbul following two losses.

Although the 24-year-old traditionally does not play any Australian-based lead-up tournaments before the first Grand Slam of the season, a lack of decent match practice may see her play in Hobart.

The only other tournament available before the Open, which starts on January 16, is the Sydney International where Sharapova is the only top 10 player not participating.

``We are not expecting to hear anything until really late, there will be no early answer either way unfortunately,'' Handley said. ``Nominations for the qualifying draw are open until lunchtime on the fifth, so she has pretty much until then to make her mind up.

``At the moment though we are holding one [a wildcard] for her just in case.

``If we could get her it would be massive, a huge boost for the tournament.''

In total, 15 of the top 50 female players have entered the Hobart International, headlined by former world No.12 Yanina Wickmayer.

claypova
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:36 PM
NO NO NO NO NO :sobbing: if you wanna play, go to sydney!!!! :sobbing:

nelsondan
Dec 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Is it not a good thing that she will play....at all, before ao? I am willing to take whatever we can get.

Fighterpova
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Nooo, why Hobart? :sobbing:
Wickmayer is the 2nd seed?? :eek::lol:
Like in Auckland last year??? :hysteric:

atominside
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:10 AM
You all make assumptions too fast. She never even mentioned shes going to hobart. jeez.

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Looks like she goes direct to Melbourne..

She never played those Pre-Australian Open tournaments anyway. Now with a troubled ankle, not gonna be this year..

Mr.Sharapova
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Maria in Hobart :eek:.

Steven.
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
She won't play in Hobart. Why? Hunch. Let's pray that she isn't. :lol: Fuck Hobart if she isn't bothering with Brisbane or Sydney.

doomsday
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
If she is plaing Hobart, I can see her losing in QF or sth. She will go there just to hit the ball and have few matches.

madmax
Dec 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
the diva ain't going to Hobart LMAO:haha: Forget it

Trih
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Why would she chose Hobart over Sydney, if those start the same day? If she just wants to play some matches before AO, then I'd prefer her to go there (Sydney) instead.

shaktincredible
Dec 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
She wants to have matches against less tough opponent under her belt and get some confidence i guess.

that's make sense.

Pvt. Kovalenko
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM
She wants to have matches against less tough opponent under her belt and get some confidence i guess.

that's make sense.

Make sense. More she play, more she get confident in her movement around the court.

Charlatan
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150439756862680&set=a.377880637679.165569.65920772679&type=1&theater

so it's confirmed that she'll be heading straight to melbourne? :bounce:

Reptilia
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:31 AM
She needs matches! Play Hobart :weirdo:

I ain't here for a 2010 repeat.

rbfilipe
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Good luck in Melbourne, Maria!

dsanders06
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM
What is wrong with her :weirdo: Why would she choose to not play a warm-up if she's already relatively healthy (I'm assuming she is if she's already on the plane to Australia)? Surely the YEC taught her that going into big events without match practice is not a good idea? :sobbing:

denny5576
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Are you so sure Maria will not play before AO?
:)

Mistress of Evil
Dec 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Well, you have the insight information, you tell us?

s teddy
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM
I'm rather indifferent to her withdrawal from this particular tournament, but now that the tennis season has finally started, I really miss her. :sobbing:

Oh well, just two more weeks... two more weeks... two more...

two more...

two...

:hysteric:

WTAtennisfan15
Jan 2nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Maria might just play in Hobart... nothing confirmed though

http://twitter.com/hobarttennis

HobartTennis Hobart International
nothing confirmed... “@Princes_ska: @HobartTennis Will Maria Sharapova play Hobart?? Please answer!”
1. January

Crux Squall
Jan 2nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
Maria might just play in Hobart... nothing confirmed though

http://twitter.com/hobarttennis

HobartTennis Hobart International
nothing confirmed... “@Princes_ska: @HobartTennis Will Maria Sharapova play Hobart?? Please answer!”
1. January

i hope she will not play

vozas
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM
Really don't know what to expect of this season. I have to say I do have a looming feeling that this is the beginning of the end. Sure she never played any events prior to the AO back in the day, but she was Maria Sharapova back then. She didn't need match practice. She does now.

Mr.Sharapova
Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Maria will do fine this year. Why is everyone being so serious about this. She won't retire this year forget that, she loves the sport too much to do that.

Let's wait and see the draw first and then talk about her chances of winning this tournament. Remember Maria in 2008 she came with no match practice at AO as well and she won the title :shrug:, bar those matches at Hong Kong.

18majors
Jan 2nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Really don't know what to expect of this season. I have to say I do have a looming feeling that this is the beginning of the end. Sure she never played any events prior to the AO back in the day, but she was Maria Sharapova back then. She didn't need match practice. She does now.

We'll learn a lot about Maria in 2012 after her first tournament match; hope for the best.

atominside
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Maria will do fine this year. Why is everyone being so serious about this. She won't retire this year forget that, she loves the sport too much to do that.

Let's wait and see the draw first and then talk about her chances of winning this tournament. Remember Maria in 2007 she came with no match practice at AO as well and she won the title :shrug:, bar those matches at Hong Kong.

:help::sad:

Mr.Sharapova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:34 AM
:help::sad:

You know what I meant :spit:.

Break My Rapture
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
I have a looming/bad feeling too, well about AO at least.

Reptilia
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:46 AM
Let's wait and see the draw first and then talk about her chances of winning this tournament. Remember Maria in 2008 she came with no match practice at AO as well and she won the title :shrug:, bar those matches at Hong Kong.

But the exhos in HK and Thailand were at least something. She is coming in with literally zilch this year + she hasn't won a match since Japan last year :sad:

claypova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:47 AM
i'll be happy with a R4 :o

Mr.Sharapova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:48 AM
But the exhos in HK and Thailand were at least something. She is coming in with literally zilch this year + she hasn't won a match since Japan last year :sad:

Well I stated that considering that she is practicing every day and training hard , cause if not she's fucked.

s teddy
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
Come on, guys.:lol: Have a little faith in Maria. :angel:

nelsondan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Did anyone else think it was a bit strange that the three photos of her practicing were in a stadium, seats empty, and apparently whoever and however the photos were made, they were required to keep a good distance away.

Andy.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
I read an article today in one of our local papers indicating that the tournament organisers from Apia International are also trying hard to get Maria to play. The artcile indicated that there had been discussions back and forth with Maria's management.

claypova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
but Maria is already in Melbourne :scratch:

Craig.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
i'll be happy with a R4 :o

Oh, how the mighty have fallen :sad:

Andy.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
but Maria is already in Melbourne :scratch:
Never heard of planes :lol::p

Charlatan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:37 AM
you'all make me worried about her more than her injury itself does :tape:

madmax
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:41 AM
if she's practising hard, that means her ankle must be at least not bothering her...once again, eenough of doom and gloom theories - we know her quality and the only question mark is match fitness

Charlatan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
AustralinOpenTV channel from Youtube just posted this 25 minutes ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Nqo8MmwgQ&feature=g-all-c&context=G2e6e91aFAAAAAAAABAA

so forget about all the pre-match/warm-ups before the AO..she is going for it without any match :D

claypova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Never heard of planes :lol::p

i highly doubt though that Maria will travel to Sydney in a few days to play there and go back :lol: but if she decides to, i'm not gonna complain :cool:

claypova
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Oh, how the mighty have fallen :sad:

i wanted her to get a SF, but after brisbane, :sad:

Craig.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
i wanted her to get a SF, but after brisbane, :sad:

I really have NO idea what to expect from Maria this year. Absolutely none.

Andy.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:06 AM
God.....talk about throwing a pity party before the fact. Some of you are so negative. What about trying to be postive of the power of postive thinking. Masha looks like she is in super shape. With a few weeks of practice under her belt she will be fine. She will be so used to the conditions as well.

2010 was a freak event. Masha wasnt playing well (she also wasnt playing horrendous) but Maria K was playing well above her level that day.

Charlatan
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:12 AM
i think this overt fuss over her should be dropped down to some level, since no one knows her 1st round opponent. once she gets to win the 1st round, she will be getting more and more matches under her belt as she advances and will get the hang of it, me thinks ;)

madmax
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:19 AM
God.....talk about throwing a pity party before the fact. Some of you are so negative. What about trying to be postive of the power of postive thinking. Masha looks like she is in super shape. With a few weeks of practice under her belt she will be fine. She will be so used to the conditions as well.

2010 was a freak event. Masha wasnt playing well (she also wasnt playing horrendous) but Maria K was playing well above her level that day.

bingo...everyone is acting like that loss was the biggest disaster, but Kirilenko was simply possessed that day and definitely played one of her best matches. There is a little chance that Maria draws a player of Kirilenko's stature in the 1st round anyway...

Mistress of Evil
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:36 AM
NO way, I want a fucking QF at a HARDCOURT Slam, like seriously :sobbing: This way the bitches will whine that she hasn't made a SF on hard in years instead of the current "hasn't bee past the 4th round" :crying2:

Reptilia
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Lets just hope she avoids Serena in the fourth round

shaktincredible
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
bingo...everyone is acting like that loss was the biggest disaster, but Kirilenko was simply possessed that day and definitely played one of her best matches. There is a little chance that Maria draws a player of Kirilenko's stature in the 1st round anyway...

playing against 33rd seed in the first round of grand slam is really unfortunate :sobbing:

shaktincredible
Jan 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Lets just hope she avoids Serena in the fourth round

serena will be seed no 9-12 so maria safe from meeting her before quarters.

but there is clijsters in 13-16 seed :tape:

vozas
Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
She had NO business losing to Kirilenko, even whilst playing at her most atrocious low. Kirilenko is a useless floater who still couldn't crack the top 10 even during such an all-time low in the WTA. Maria would've had no trouble reaching the semis if it weren't for that disastrous performance. I don't think she'd get past Henin but it would've been a great start for the year, and considering some of the losses (clearly stemming from her lack of belief) she had throughout the year, especially at RG and Wimbledon, I'm sure she would've had a much better year.

It really was the worst start of the year one could imagine, and probably the worst loss of Maria's career.

dsanders06
Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM

I agree with you that Maria's fans on TF are often way too ridiculously pessimistic, but what she's doing atm is just ridiculous. Judging by how she's having a full practice in the video posted, I really don't see why she isn't playing Brisbane frankly. She's ALWAYS needed match practice to do decently, throughout her whole career. Someone mentioned 2008, but there really is no comparison with that - Hong Kong matches while exhibitions were atleast something, and she'd got a good few wins under her belt at the YEC a couple of months before too... whereas this time she's coming in with practically no matches in the past 4 months :help: Considering it seems she's fit physically, I can only assume she's mentally not confident enough to be playing tournaments, which really doesn't bode well... I can't believe she's throwing away her chances at what I think should be her best Slam.

hobahobaspirit
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
She had NO business losing to Kirilenko, even whilst playing at her most atrocious low. Kirilenko is a useless floater who still couldn't crack the top 10 even during such an all-time low in the WTA. Maria would've had no trouble reaching the semis if it weren't for that disastrous performance. I don't think she'd get past Henin but it would've been a great start for the year, and considering some of the losses (clearly stemming from her lack of belief) she had throughout the year, especially at RG and Wimbledon, I'm sure she would've had a much better year.

It really was the worst start of the year one could imagine, and probably the worst loss of Maria's career.

This

I remember when I first saw her draw, I thought it was a free ride to, at least, the QF. She had an injured Safina and Zheng (whom she beat a couple of weeks before) on her way. I don't know if it's her worst loss ever (Kudrywhatever and Oudin both come up to my mind), but it's certainly a very bad missed opportunity.

If Maria's playing well, I don't see her losing to Kim. I'm just afraid of Serena.

Sharapovian
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM

Well not exactly, Serena has to go a round deeper than Clijsters in Brisbane to secure #12 seed. If JJ manages to advance even further than Kim or Serena she could also nab the #12 seed.

If Maria's playing well, I don't see her losing to Kim. I'm just afraid of Serena.
In theory yes she probably should win if playing well, but remember what happened in their last match :scared: and never count Kim out.

goldlion
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Serena is scarred in Maria's mind, so as Na. But I don't know why. Both of them just bring their best game when playing Maria.

Steven.
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Speaking of Serena, she just injured herself pretty badly against Bojana. Suddenly collapsed and was crying. :scared:

claypova
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:26 AM
:sad: i hope it's not serious

Steven.
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:28 AM
She's back up. :cheer: We'll see if she can run / continue tho.

claypova
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:30 AM
at first i thought she was on the ground laughing at herself losing the point :facepalm:

Lachy
Jan 4th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Awful to see anyone getting injured, and Serena's ankle goes like Maria's. What's worse is the whole tape removal saga. That's pretty unlucky :tape:

18majors
Jan 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I hope Serena is in the field if Maria were to win the 2012 AO.

Fighterpova
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
She hasn't won a match in 4 months :awww:

Can't wait to see her on court again, I hope she at least has a decent run to the 4h round and not bomb out to some junkballer like Pennetta :lol:

lang26
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
is she playing Sydney and is there any new on here ankle

18majors
Jan 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
is she playing Sydney and is there any new on here ankle

@TennisReporters

Serena had MRI on her left ankle & showed sprain. Quote 'Going to take couple days off,see how I feel. Still hopeful of playing Australian'

ServeCaspian
Jan 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
It appears Hobart tournament directors have officially announced that she's not gonna be there. http://www.tennisworldusa.org/WTA---Sharapova-refuses-Hobart-wild-card-articolo2846.html

claypova
Jan 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Serena is seeded 13th :o

I have a feeling she will be in Maria's part of the draw :help:

ServeCaspian
Jan 5th, 2012, 09:01 PM
But it won't be till at least 4th round. Plus, she HAS to beat her sometime.:confused: