PDA

View Full Version : ASV Retires

smygelfh
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:30 AM
...not very surprising....

Thanks for all you've brought us during the years, Arantxa.

http://www.svt.se/texttv/328.html

Wojtek
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:33 AM
It's in Swedish

Caz
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I can't find any full report yet, but this is from Marca, (http://www.marca.com/edicion/noticia/0,2458,206617,00.html)

"Arantxa Sánchez Vicario anunció su retirada como profesional
JOAN SOLSONA

Arantxa Sánchez Vicario anunció en rueda de prensa y entre lágrimas su retirada del tenis profesional tras 17 años en activo. La española ha ganado un total de 29 títulos individuales, incluidos cuatro ‘Grand Slam’, y 67 en dobles. Arantxa, de 30 años, fue número uno mundial en 1995"

Roughly translated as:

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario announced her retirement as a professional.
Joan Solsona.

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario announced in a press conference and through tears her retirement from professional tennis after 17 years as a player. The Spaniard has won a total of 29 singles titles, including 4 'Grand Slam', and 67 doubles titles. Arantxa, 30 years old, was world number one in 1995.

smygelfh
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:36 AM
I know ;)

It's says what she won, and that it was a hard desicsion to quit.

I'm sure there will be longer articles out there on the big/tennis sites any second if there aren't already.

...just providing a link so you know I'm not bulling you ;)

Wojtek
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by smygelfh
I know ;)

It's says what she won, and that it was a hard desicsion to quit.

I'm sure there will be longer articles out there on the big/tennis sites any second if there aren't already.

...just providing a link so you know I'm not bulling you ;)

Thanks , my swedish is not very good ;) :o

wongqks
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:42 AM
:sad: but I can't say I am surprised

MS
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:54 AM
That's sad news for Spanish tennis.....:sad: :sad:

Nina_rus
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:58 AM
:sad:

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:00 PM
from yahoo tennis:

Tuesday November 12, 12:25 PM

Spain's Sanchez-Vicario announces retirement

BARCELONA (Reuters) - Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario announced her retirement after a 17-year professional career.

"It was not an easy decision to take to retire from the sport," she told a news conference in Barcelona. "Sincerely, I believe the moment has arrived for me to dedicate my time to my personal life."

The 30-year-old Spaniard won the French Open title three times and the U.S. Open once.

She helped her country to five victories in the Fed Cup, the women's equivalent of the Davis Cup, and was given the Principe de Asturias award, Spain's highest sporting honour, in 1998.

bye Arantza. it's been real. i wonder what she will do with her time now?

raquel
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:02 PM
:sad: :sad: good luck arantxa

Caz
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:06 PM
There's also this from "El Mundo Deportivo", (http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/20021112/NOTICIA50533597.html"

"Arantxa confirma que lo deja

Con un tono emocionado la tenista catalana anunció el punto final a su carrera deportiva... "No ha sido una decisión fácil, peo ha llegado el momento de decir adiós"

MDol / BARCELONA

12/11/02 13:27 h.Arantxa Sánchez Vicario confirmó en rueda de prensa, como anunció en rigurosa primicia y exclusiva mundial MD, el punto final a su carrera profesional. La tenista catalana se mostró muy emocionada a la hora de expresarse. Fue un acto sencillo, pero las palabras de Arantxa no tuvieron desperdicio. "No ha sido una decisión fácil, pero entiendo que ha llegado el momento de decir adiós. Sólo tengo palabras de agradecimiento para mi familia, que siempre me ha apoyado de una forma incondicional, a los amigos y a los medios de comunicación que me ha respetado, lo mismo que las lesiones. El tenis me ha dado muchísimo, lo que jamás había soñado. He vivido y disfrutado de grandes momentos en este deporte y ahora me vienen a la cabeza los éxitos de tres Roland Garros, un Open USA, cinco Copas Federaciones o cuatro medallas olímpicas, pero el premio que más valoro es el Principe de Asturias por su sentido deportivo y humano"

Again, I'll try a rough translation:

"Arantxa confirms her retirement.

With an emotional tone the Catalan tennis star announced the final point to her sporting career.... "It hasn't been an easy decision, but the moment to say goodbye has arrived".

MDol / BARCELONA

12/11/02 13:27 h. Arantxa Sánchez Vicario confirmed in a press conference, as Mundo Deportivo announced first and in a world exculsive, the final point to her professional career. The Catalan tennis star appeared very emotional at the time of expressing herself. It was a simple act, but Arantxa’s words weren’t wasted. “It hasn’t been an easy decision, but I understand that the moment to say goodbye has arrived. I only have words of thanks for my family, who has always supported me unconditionally, to the friends and the media who have respected me, as have injuries. Tennis has given me a lot, which I had never dreamed. I have lived and enjoyed great moments in this sport and now the successes of three Roland Garros’, a US Open, five Fed Cup’s or four Olympics medals, are coming into my head, but the prize that I value most is the 'Principe de Asturias' for sport and humanitarianism.” (“el Principe de Asturias por su sentido deportivo y humano” – Sorry, I’m not quite sure how we say that correctly in English – but that’s the gist! lol! ;-))

Caz
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
:sad: Good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future, Arantxa.

wave
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
:sad: :sad: Good luck with your personal life!
Thank you for all the great tennis and fighting spirit you showed us. We will miss you! :sad: :sad:

ChrisGermany
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:16 PM
That´s so sad to hear. Especially in doubles, Arantxa still was a force but when the losses in singles got more and more, maybe her will to remain in the game got lost.

I never was an Arantxa-fan in times when Steffi was on top (game-wise, in terms of sympathy, Arantxa always was a superstar for me), but the more she remained in the game, the more I became a fan. Seeing her on clay and matching the power of Davenport or Williams with her knowledge of the game on sand/clay, that made me a fan.

Arantxa, you will be remembered for that smile, for that sweet accent when talking German, for your Grand Slam titles, your numerous doubles titles and for your fighting spirit.

All the best for your life in the future,
VAMOS Arantxa ;)

irma
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:17 PM
"for that sweet accent when talking German"

she has the greatest way of speaking German:)

köj-è
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:20 PM
:sad: :wavey: ASV

anabel
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:20 PM
I love you Arantxa, thanks for all.

bee
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:22 PM
so sad..
not totally unexpected...
I guessed...
the Fed Cup incident... made her decision easier... :(
Wonder what conchita will say about arantxa's retirement?? :) :)

stormy
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Former world No. 1 Sanchez-Vicario retires

November 12, 2002

BARCELONA, Spain (Ticker) - Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, a former world No. 1 and a winner of four Grand Slam titles, announced her retirement on Tuesday.

Sanchez-Vicario confirmed her departure from the WTA Tour at a press conference near her native Barcelona.

"It's not been easy, but I think the time has come for me to abandon tennis," she said at her packed press conference, which was held at her family-owned Open Sports Club. "My motives are personal. Up to now, all my life has been tennis. It's been a great effort, but in exchange I have got what any professional sports person could want."

After turning professional in June 1985, the 30-year-old won 29 tournaments, including the French Open three times and the U.S. Open once. She appeared in eight other major finals.

Sanchez-Vicario earned the nickname, "the Barcelona Bumblebee" for her buzzing, tenacious style. Her older brothers Emilio and Javier Sanchez competed on the men's tour, with Emilio coaching her after he retired.

In 1988, Sanchez-Vicario won her first title at the Belgian Open at age 16 years, 11 months. A year later, she upset Steffi Graf, 7-6 (10-8), 3-6, 7-5, in the French Open final to become the first Spanish woman to win at Roland Garros. At the time, she was the youngest French Open champion at 17 years, six months.

The Spaniard won the French and U.S. Opens in 1994 and became the No. 1 player on February 6, 1995. She did not win a Grand Slam title that year, but reached the final at the first three majors.

Sanchez-Vicario once held the top ranking in both singles and doubles simultaneously. She captured 67 doubles titles and several mixed doubles crowns.

In her most recent competitive appearance, Sanchez-Vicario was part of the Spanish team that lost to Slovakia in the Federation Cup finals earlier this month. She lost the deciding match to Janette Husarova, 6-0, 6-2.

However, she did set records for most Fed Cup matches (100), most Fed Cup ties (58) and most Fed Cup finals appearances (10, shared with Conchita Martinez. She helped Spain win the competition five times and collected four medals at four Olympics.

Sanchez-Vicario did not win a title this year, with her best result a runner-up finish at the French Community Championships in June. She completed the season ranked 54th.
a

Thank you Arantxa for all the memories:sad: . You have been a great source of inspiration and you will continue to be. Of the three ladies that dominated Roland Garros in the 90s, only Seles remains, this is truly the end of that great era...

stefanieforever
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Bless Arantxa!:wavey:

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
my only wish is that her career hadn't ended on that sour Fed Cup note. i wonder if the heckler inspired this decision? that would be truly sad. other than that she has enjoyed an interesting career and can retire with grace...

AaronJoyB
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
THANK U ARANTXA FOR WHAT U GAVE US!

anabel
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:38 PM
It's so sad to see in every TV channel, all those memories.... How great Arantxa has been...

marsha
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
my only wish is that her career hadn't ended on that sour Fed Cup note. i wonder if the heckler inspired this decision? that would be truly sad.

Apparently it didn't, as she had had this press conference scheduled *before* the Fed Cup had taken place.

But you are right, it made the ending even sadder than it needed to be....

wongqks
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Former world No. 1 Sanchez-Vicario retires

November 12, 2002

BARCELONA, Spain (Ticker) - Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, a former world No. 1 and a winner of four Grand Slam titles, announced her retirement on Tuesday.

Sanchez-Vicario confirmed her departure from the WTA Tour at a press conference near her native Barcelona.

"It's not been easy, but I think the time has come for me to abandon tennis," she said at her packed press conference, which was held at her family-owned Open Sports Club. "My motives are personal. Up to now, all my life has been tennis. It's been a great effort, but in exchange I have got what any professional sports person could want."

After turning professional in June 1985, the 30-year-old won 29 tournaments, including the French Open three times and the U.S. Open once. She appeared in eight other major finals.

Sanchez-Vicario earned the nickname, "the Barcelona Bumblebee" for her buzzing, tenacious style. Her older brothers Emilio and Javier Sanchez competed on the men's tour, with Emilio coaching her after he retired.

In 1988, Sanchez-Vicario won her first title at the Belgian Open at age 16 years, 11 months. A year later, she upset Steffi Graf, 7-6 (10-8), 3-6, 7-5, in the French Open final to become the first Spanish woman to win at Roland Garros. At the time, she was the youngest French Open champion at 17 years, six months.

The Spaniard won the French and U.S. Opens in 1994 and became the No. 1 player on February 6, 1995. She did not win a Grand Slam title that year, but reached the final at the first three majors.

Sanchez-Vicario once held the top ranking in both singles and doubles simultaneously. She captured 67 doubles titles and several mixed doubles crowns.

In her most recent competitive appearance, Sanchez-Vicario was part of the Spanish team that lost to Slovakia in the Federation Cup finals earlier this month. She lost the deciding match to Janette Husarova, 6-0, 6-2.

However, she did set records for most Fed Cup matches (100), most Fed Cup ties (58) and most Fed Cup finals appearances (10, shared with Conchita Martinez. She helped Spain win the competition five times and collected four medals at four Olympics.

Sanchez-Vicario did not win a title this year, with her best result a runner-up finish at the French Community Championships in June. She completed the season ranked 54th.

rafa
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Well done and good luck Arantxa :)

stormy
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Spanish great Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario announces retirement

November 12, 2002

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Former U.S. Open champion Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario announced her retirement Tuesday after 17 years as a pro.

``The time has come,'' the tearful 30-year-old told a packed press conference in the northeastern city of Barcelona.

Accompanied by family members, Sanchez-Vicario said it was time ``for me to think about myself.''

After Sanchez-Vicario turned professional in June 1985, she won 29 singles titles including four Grand Slams -- three French (1989, 1994, 1998) and one U.S. Open in 1994, when she beat Steffi Graf in the final.

The Spaniard won 14 Grand Slam titles overall, including six doubles and four mixed doubles.

She reached No. 1 in singles (1995) and doubles (1992), in which she won 67 tournaments, six this year.

Her most recent competitive appearance was at last month's Fed Cup final in the Canary Islands where Spain was beaten 3-1 by Slovakia. Sanchez-Vicario set records for most Cup matches (100), most Cup ties (58) and most final appearances (10).

Spanish federation chief Agusti Puyol said recently she would be offered the captaincy of the nation's Fed Cup team.

I really hope that she can take on the role as a Fed Cup captain, after she has taken a well deserved break. She would be such a great inpsiration to the players.

Mark Spruce
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all your tennis

regards

Mark

raquel
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Thank you arantxa - gonna miss all those wins from match points down! - , and good luck. anabel - i got really moved just reading your signature!

korben
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Sad but understandable. Greatest fighter of all time.

Thanks for the memories ASV ! :wavey:

RAA
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:12 PM
sad,
what a great competitor she was. always fantastic to watch.
a great fighter. I'm glad she continued playing even though she wasn't a threat to win slams. she loved the game and played it with her heart.

ChrisGermany
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:14 PM
It would have been great seeing her in doubles again 2003 and some selected events for a farewell tour.

novotnaquinton
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Arantxa, I watch tennis because of you...
you have given me a lot in watching tennis....
wish you all the best!!:)

partyzantka
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
That's so, so sad. I knew it must happen, but there was always hope, that it won't happen today, tomorow, next week, maybe next year.
Aranxa was not only for me a superstar, person I liked, admired, she was a part of me. I liked her tennis, her neverending runing on the court, her fighting spirit, her smile..... but I loved her because she was here. She was a friend of mine, she was a part of me. And now I feel that some part of me has gone. :(

So thank you Arantxa for that what you has done, for tennis and for me....
Good luck in your personal life, I hope you'll be happy

VAMOS

tarah
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:50 PM
:sad: Good luck Arantxa!!!

baleineau
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:57 PM
who knows, she may come back for the occasional doubles match, like zvereva and navratilova.

good luck arantxa, congrats on a great career, and thanks for all the exciting matches you gave me. all those tussles with Steffi, Gaby and Monica, never giving up, running down everything, at full stretch, surviving, turning matches around, saving match points, playing those OMG drop-shots...........great stuff!!!

Love ya :sad:

fleemke³
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Thanx Arantxa for all those great matches .. i'm sorry it had to end like this :sad:

vw43
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Sad but happy that she can now devote time to her personal life :)

Cersei
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
:sad: goodluck Arantxa

baleineau
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:26 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20021112/mdf147583.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021112/capt.1037113211spain_sanchez_vicario_retires_bar10 1.jpg

Soch
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:26 PM
La menor de los Sánchez Vicario ya no disputará el próximo Masters Nacional, que se disputará del 21 al 24 de noviembre en el Palau Sant Jordi, pero espera decir adiós muy pronto vestida de corto y empuñando un raqueta. "Mi deseo es despedirme de mis compañeras y del público en la pista", adelantó.

She won't play the Spanish Masters but she'll play a farewell tournament or something: "My desire is to say goodbye to my fellow tennis-players and to the crowd, on court", she said.

Doris Loeffel
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Good luck in whatever you're going to do ASV!
You're going to be missed...

DEETHELICK
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Arantxa!!!

Good luck in whatever you do.....I cannot believe she will no longer be playing tennis!

Her career is amazing and I hope she feels personal satisfaction from that and enjoys this time to focus on her personal life and other things that matter!

We'll all miss you Arantxa! :)

Hawk
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: So sad to see Arantxa go..even though it was expected.

She was my first favorite player..and the reason I started watching tennis.

I hope she has a wonderful life :)

Come-on-kim
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:53 PM
:sad: A great loose for the tennis!!! Hopefully I saw you in real when you enjoyed being with you fans in Brussels

JonBcn
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
I'm really disappointed she wont play the masters, I really thought she would.

matthias
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:03 PM
good bye ASV
i hope you will enjoy your post-tennis life :wavey:

Josh
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:13 PM
She's scheduled to play an exhibition in Ciney, Belgium in a few weeks together with Henin, Mauresmo and Dementieva. I guess she will still play there?

Anyway, sad to see her go....

fhkung
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM
i thought i could live to see her dropping out of 100,
oh...........too bad..........:rolleyes:

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:52 PM
All the best to her!

Helen Lawson
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Good luck to our Barcelona Bumblebee and sorry to all of her fans. Maybe she will continue to be visible in Spain and do exhibitions so fans can keep seeing her there, or maybe start a family like Steffi. She made many Slam finals very memorable and will be remember as the toughest fighter in terms of spirit and determination!

And, ASV fans, don't forget, apart from the Slams, the titles, the Fed Cup, the ranking, she does retire with that winning head-to-head over Serena INTACT! All is not lost.

[S@nti]
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Good bye Arantxa :sad: :)

Kris
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Another great tennis queen leaves the court....

What happens to the Spanish Hopman Cup team?

Tennisfan-Mtl
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:28 PM
I feel sad right now :( You had a great career Arantxa :) Have a nice life from now on...And don't forget about us !

Venus Forever
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM
:wavey: :wavey: ARANTXA!!:wavey: :wavey:

:sad:

ChrisGermany
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Is the complete press conference that can be read somewhere ?!

Greenout
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:32 PM
It's sad to see it all end in that Fed Cup tie against
Slovakia. It was really heartbreaking. The ASV
had an incredible career. Who could ever forget
those great matches? I especially loved all those
wonderful doubles matches with Jana against
Natasha/GG. I don't recall ever seeing more
entertaining nor skillful doubles matches ever
again after that rivalry was over.

ASV deserves to be next in line for that Tennis
Hall of Fame tag.

What's her plans post WTA? WIll she be coaching?
Doing TV commentary?

sartrista7
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Au revoir Arantxa. Odd to think that I've been waiting for this for the past three years and now it's here I suddenly miss her.

Vamos!

Miranda
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:56 AM
:sad: :sad: , i am also thinking of monica in the next years :sad: :sad: