PDA

View Full Version : Is Kim really worth the praise?!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:26 AM
She is my favorite player and all, but I thought both her and Serena played crappy compared to their best. Some of you are just thinking like Kim whooped Serena's ass, when Serena had so many unforced errors. Kim didn't have many winners and didn't really force any errors on Serena. From that, Kim didn't play well herself. But of the two, Kim is just the one who took more advantage of the opportunity of her opponent on a bad day while Serena didn't.

I am utterly happy about this win. I mean, the whole floor came into the lounge to see what I was screaming about.

However it is so much more joyous and beautiful when your player really has a *hard earned* win, and tonight just wasn't one of those. It's a bit bittersweet 'cause it was just too boring.

Penguin
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:30 AM
i admit mrs_guga, that offensively kim was far from her best, but Ive never EVER seen such a great defense from her! She got allmost everything back... i think this match shows us that tennis isnt always the most aggressive one winning, but that defensive shots are equally important as offensive ones...
I would ve prefferred an aggressive Kim as well, but youve got to be honest, being aggressive always got her close to beating Serena, but never all the way. Concentrating on her defensive shots, a totally different approach to the match, earned her the victory... great match tactics kim!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:32 AM
True, true

lol

LeonHart
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:35 AM
i agree Penguin...that is nicely said :hearts:

irma
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Mrs_Guga
true champions don't win when they play well, they win when they are off;)

allez Kimmy :bounce:

BasicTennis
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:44 AM
so would you mean true champions would prefer to have an off day?:D

anyway, well done Kimmy.:bounce:

irma
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:47 AM
I guess;)

Kimmy rules anyway :D

BasicTennis
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:48 AM
well, everybody deserves a day off.:D

Jakeev
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM
You are forgetting folks that despite the fact Kim only managed 6 winners, despite the unforced errors Serena committed, Kim still managed to force to make several errors too. You just don't see those stats.

I wish they would begin to include forced errors into the equation of a match, it would tell the true story.

treufreund
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Digging out those blasting forehands of Serena and playing them back deep with heavy topspin or precise angles ain't easy folks. A lot of players don't play this kind of defense cuz they don't have that kind of feel. :cool:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Serena doesn't play her abosolute best about 95% of the time - no one does.

However, despite playing just ugly sometimes, Serena STILL only had 4 losses this year.

Thus, even if it was ugly, I think Kim's win deserves an immense amount of praise. It isn't like she beat Serena in a teir 3, with Serena injured.

She beat her in one of the biggest tournaments on tour, both of them were healthy (as far as I know), and Serena was the defending champ, and number on in the world.

The fact that she did that while not playing her best, even if Serena also played a little ugly - is a compliment to her.

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:49 AM
A winner is always praiseworthy. Also true, the praiser can always go overboard.

KaseyL
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Kim deserves a lot of praise imo.

The match never bored me for a second (and it was even at night when I watched it), it was worthy of a championships final.

And so was Kim, a worthy, well-deserved champion!

She showed that she has matured on court: she didn't rush things too much this time, but played her strategy and it was successful.

Great win, Kim! Keep them coming!

the cat
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Nwandova, please be happy your Kimmy won the premier tournament in women's tennis. She plays the same style of tennis as Serena. They are both fast and powerful. Which leads to slugfests and all court scampering matches. The fact that this was not a great match is irrelevant. Kim ended the year great and is now the top threat to the Williams sisters in the near future! :D

And why did you change your name again? :confused: It's hard to keep up with all of your name changes! ;)

onebridgecafe
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TennisPower
A winner is always praiseworthy. Also true, the praiser can always go overboard.

Very well said!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Cat, I am VERY happy for Kim! I got sick of Nwando Nwandova, LOL! I mean, I don't feel comfortable outside the name Mrs_Guga. Like, this is me. I would even feel uncomfortable being Mrs_Rogi. I AM GUGA'S WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!