PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawals

spiceboy
Dec 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Garbi˝e Muguruza Blanco, who turned 18 some weeks ago and would be playing in her first Grand Slam qualifying won't be travelling to Australia :sobbing:

spiceboy
Dec 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
well,it would be a waste of money and time for her to go there and play on her non-favourite surface.:shrug:

She won a couple of tournaments ($10K & $25K) on hardcourts this year, beating Broady, Hogenkamp, Buyukakcay and Eguchi. It's not like she can't play on that surface and she would surely lost in R1. And it's always good to play a Grand Slam, especially when you are that young.

Jorn
Dec 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
She was about 20 Out, will she be in if playing?

spiceboy
Dec 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
She is ranked #216 WTA. I don't think the final qualifying cut-off has ever been that high in a Grand Slam, let alone Melbourne :oh:

*Jool*
Dec 5th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Garbi˝e :awww: would have been nice ... cool to have (probably) made the cut-off though .. she seems to have risen so fast in 2011 :eek: almost top 200 already ! :bigclap:

tenisboss
Dec 5th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I think some Americans won't go there. They will play Innisbrook and Plantation 25k$

Jorn
Dec 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Yes, Petra Rampre SLO but living in the US may not go...

spiceboy
Dec 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yes, Petra Rampre SLO but living in the US may not go...

Petra is definitely playing in Melbourne :D

Jorn
Dec 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Ok :) Its rare she plays outsite USA...

nevetssllim
Dec 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Diatchenko is almost certainly out.

StephenUK
Dec 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Dinara Safina won't be playing, presumably.

Lots of others will probably copy Garbine and not go - given the fact that there are dozens of ITFs in Australia before Christmas, it surely wouldn't hurt to have a couple either side of the GS qualifying to make it worth the trip for those players who are unable to get into qualifying for the pre-AO WTA tournaments. Fellow posters are correct to mention the US absentees - this happened last year so I would expect a few of the American players around the 180-230 mark to be out.

The AO qualifying also suffers because if players pull out of qualifying, there is no-one to replace them as no-one will fly out all that way on the off-chance unless they are in the juniors/doubles etc, which meant the cut-off was as low as 348 quite recently!

Wimbledon recently added an extra Nottingham ITF which was a great boost for grass court practice for players after Roland Garros.

Drake1980
Dec 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM

:eek: Nice!

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM

:woohoo:

Drake1980
Dec 16th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I think Gallovits will play in Florida so she won't be at AO most likely!
Marie-Eve Pelletier will play in Fl. as well!

Jorn
Dec 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Michelle de Brito and Caroline Garcia have not Entered anything on WTA first week 2012, will they play at AUS Open Qualies?

Or if Caroline get the French MDWC?

tenisboss
Dec 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Caroline enterd ITFs in USA and China from 2nd to 15th January

StephenUK
Dec 18th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Apparently Nuria Llagostera Vives has retired from singles and will be out of Q.

Vitalia Diatchenko is not in the MD list and has been injured so looks unlikely.

I see Kalashnikova is back playing after a lengthy injury break. Could she get a SR into qualifying?

simonsaystennis
Dec 19th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Michelle de Brito and Caroline Garcia have not Entered anything on WTA first week 2012, will they play at AUS Open Qualies?

Considering the form that Michelle ended in 2011, I'd be shocked if she didn't go to Australia.

Italian power
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM
GOATmila Giorgi says bye bye to AO and she will go to Innisbrook 25k :lol:

MikBs
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Goatmila says bye bye to the world of smart people...

Italian power
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM
Goatmila says bye bye to the world of smart people...

:worship:

chingching
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Apparently Nuria Llagostera Vives has retired from singles and will be out of Q.

Vitalia Diatchenko is not in the MD list and has been injured so looks unlikely.

I see Kalashnikova is back playing after a lengthy injury break. Could she get a SR into qualifying?

Whats a SR?

tenisboss
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Special Ranking for players who didn't play for 6 months, and use their before injury ranking.

tenisboss
Dec 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Glatch and Zahlavova also play in Innisbrook

hellas719
Dec 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
^Sandra Z not defending her points here?

HOS
Dec 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Giorgi has weird schedules.....really..

Nasty nadia and mariaK are not playing any lead ups.....weird, esp nasty N who normally plays 2 eveents, tots speculative but maybe these guys are inj?? Venus too, played exo's but wd from NZ??

Nicolas
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Zahlavova rank will plummet down (again...)

HOS
Dec 21st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Dulko also hasn't entered any events? maybe just dubs with Flavia??

iGOAT
Dec 23rd, 2011, 06:52 AM
My wildcard predictions (they're usually right :angel:):

1. Madison Keys (winner of US wildcard playoff).
2. Aravane Reza´ (confirmed as French wildcard).
3. Akgul Amanmuradova (technically unconfirmed, although she will receive the Asian wildcard as the top Asian on the alternate list).
4. Ashleigh Barty (winner of the Australian wildcard playoff).
5. Casey Dellacqua (confirmed as first discretionary wildcard).
6. Olivia Rogowska (rumored, though not confirmed as second discretionary wildcard).
7. Bojana Bobusic (she showed good form in the wildcard playoff and just missed the cut).
8. Sally Peers (the Australian federation seems to like her and she's one of the highest Australians to miss the cut).

This is assuming Anastasia Rodionova makes the main draw, which is extremely likely, although if not she would surely replace Peers. I would say all are almost lock except Peers :scratch:. Obviously Isabella Holland is ranked higher than the last two, but she hasn't shown that much potential and has received wildcards before so it doesn't quite make sense. She is younger than those two though so who knows :shrug:. Her and Sophie Ferguson would definitely be the top two alternates. There are rumors that Vandeweghe may get one too :shrug:. She would definitely be instead of Peers.

Kəv.
Dec 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sally is in really bad form though. Tough seeing her defend those Brisbane points.
Holland is also in bad form. :shrug: Nobody is in good form.
They could give it to Adamczak, she is building up form. Or they might give it to Arina Rodionova. :shrug:

hellas719
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Holland deserves one IMO :shrug:

spiceboy
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Holland deserves one IMO :shrug:

No, she doesnt. But considering her rivals for the MDWC are the likes of Peers, Bobusic or Ar.Rodionova, well, give it to her. At least she is top 200 (whoring up weak $25K in OZ but whatever...)

hellas719
Dec 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
^So are you saying she doesn't deserve one or she does? :shrug:

lolada_4
Dec 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Michelle Larcher de Brito plays AUS Open Qualies, and I presume Australian Open is her first tournament.

spiceboy
Dec 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
^So are you saying she doesn't deserve one or she does? :shrug:

The fact that I want her to get the MDWC doesn't mean that she deserves it. It means that from a bunch of undeserving players she is the better ranked, by playing crap tournaments with no serious rivals, but still, rankings are rankings...

hellas719
Dec 26th, 2011, 08:52 PM
^Exactly ;). Compared to the other girls (who also whored up weak 25K's) she deserves it IMO :shrug:

iGOAT
Dec 27th, 2011, 04:31 AM
There are rumors that Vandeweghe may get a wildcard :confused:.

iGOAT
Dec 28th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Sacha Jones could get a wildcard now :p. Honestly I think she deserves it as far as talent. We'll see if the Aussies embrace her as readily as Nasty and Jarka though.

Papillon.
Dec 28th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Sacha Jones won't get a wildcard and neither will Coco Vandeweghe.

petey_pan
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:05 AM
My wildcard predictions (they're usually right :angel:):

1. Madison Keys (winner of US wildcard playoff).
2. Aravane Reza´ (confirmed as French wildcard).
3. Akgul Amanmuradova (technically unconfirmed, although she will receive the Asian wildcard as the top Asian on the alternate list).
4. Ashleigh Barty (winner of the Australian wildcard playoff).
5. Casey Dellacqua (confirmed as first discretionary wildcard).
6. Olivia Rogowska (rumored, though not confirmed as second discretionary wildcard).
7. Bojana Bobusic (she showed good form in the wildcard playoff and just missed the cut).
8. Sally Peers (the Australian federation seems to like her and she's one of the highest Australians to miss the cut).

This is assuming Anastasia Rodionova makes the main draw, which is extremely likely, although if not she would surely replace Peers. I would say all are almost lock except Peers :scratch:. Obviously Isabella Holland is ranked higher than the last two, but she hasn't shown that much potential and has received wildcards before so it doesn't quite make sense. She is younger than those two though so who knows :shrug:. Her and Sophie Ferguson would definitely be the top two alternates. There are rumors that Vandeweghe may get one too :shrug:. She would definitely be instead of Peers.

I disagree. I think Holland will get one before both Bojana and Sally. She's younger than both and higher ranked than both. People are saying she's only ranked so high because of whoring up points in the Aussie 25k tournaments, but so did Sally and Bojana? With less success?

hellas719
Dec 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I wonder if Mattek-Sands will withdraw :unsure:

iGOAT
Dec 29th, 2011, 04:02 AM
There's no wildcard thread :shrug:.

TS
Dec 29th, 2011, 06:37 AM

what doesn't make sense? She is younger than the both of them and ranked significantly higher. Makes perfect sense to have her in line over them :confused: I see more potential in her than both Peers and Bobusic anyway.

For the record, she has only ever received one MD wc in the past and that was 3 years ago when she had just turned 17.

cowsonice
Dec 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I wonder if Mattek-Sands will withdraw :unsure:

She signed up for Hopman. Doubt it.

Vaxey
Dec 30th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Why will Latisha Chan not play in AO qualies? :(

Qalahari
Dec 30th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Amra Sadikovic will not play AO qualies. She announced it on her hompage :sad:

cn ireland
Jan 3rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Tomljanovic, Glatch & Malek have all withdrawn from the Qualies List

lang26
Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
Venus still playing

Drake1980
Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM

Oh no! Why!?:sad:

cn ireland
Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM
Venus still playing

As of now she's still in the draw.

cn ireland
Jan 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM

She may not have made the cut-off anyway as she was about Alt #15.

maxomax
Jan 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wozniak wrote on twitter that she is now in md! So there is one withdraw for sure in md!

paul_masterton
Jan 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Its Timea

iGOAT
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Reehanna out maybe after the ankle sprain?

tenisboss
Jan 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I wish she would play AO, but if not, she will withdraw after Q Draw and LL will play in MD

supertec
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:57 AM
well,it would be a waste of money and time for her to go there and play on her non-favourite surface.:shrug:

kleybanova surely.:(

Hard is Muguruza's favourite surface. We (Spanish fans) are happy about that and she is the main hope among our female players for the future.:bounce:

croat123
Jan 6th, 2012, 04:28 AM
martic maybe out...

StephenUK
Jan 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
The fact that Tennis Australia has not announced the last two Aussie wild cards yet would indicate that there have been no more withdrawals from MD as yet, as they are clearly waiting to see if someone pulls out and lets Rodionova in before they make that last decision.

With all the injuries and pull-outs this week, you would expect one of those players to also pull out of Melbourne...maybe Nasty's unpopularity with fellow-players is kicking in and they are deliberately holding back to make things difficult!

tenisboss
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
We have some "probably withdrawals" - Kim, Serena, Mayr-Achleitner, Rezai, Pivovarova...

TS
Jan 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
martic maybe out...

what's wrong with her?

cn ireland
Jan 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Sevastova has withdrawn from the MD.

Fichman has withdrawn from qualies.

Drake1980
Jan 8th, 2012, 07:04 AM
We have some "probably withdrawals" - Kim, Serena, Mayr-Achleitner, Rezai, Pivovarova...

:confused:

croat123
Jan 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
what's wrong with her?
wrist injury...

austin_ap5
Jan 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM
add Venus Williams to the list.

rbfilipe
Jan 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Venus out is not a big surprise, but it's really sad.

cn ireland
Jan 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Martinez Sanchez is also out of the MD.

croat123
Jan 9th, 2012, 10:46 PM
martic will play, confirmed

iGOAT
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Pepa :hysteric:. She had finally gotten her form back :help:. What's wrong with PMA?

iGOAT
Jan 10th, 2012, 03:20 AM
It looks as if Nasty is definitely in now. I imagine Sacha will get a wildcard after her Hobart result.

Drake1980
Jan 11th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Petkovic out! :sad:

iGOAT
Jan 11th, 2012, 04:31 AM
OKay Sacha has clearly proven herself the most worthy and TA gave wildcards to both Jarka and Nasty after they switched citizenship, so she deserves it too :shrug:.

hellas719
Jan 11th, 2012, 04:45 AM
^They gave it to Bobusic...

ozfan44
Jan 11th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Is Cetkovska going to play???

Sombrerero loco
Jan 11th, 2012, 05:00 PM
kim, maria and serena finally in?

Drake1980
Jan 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
MJMS :sad: