PDA

View Full Version : The Williamses are human after all

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Don't you agree?

Congrats big time Kim on your 75-63 victory over #1. It takes a great player to defeat Serena and you're it today. Good luck on your next season.

Well done Serena. Nobody can do it all. You're the leader. Have a nice holiday season.

Rae Q.
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Well Venus is. ;) Serena is as well but she certainly played like a superhuman this year. Kim brought her back to reality and that's ok. Champions like Rena can't always have a storybook ending.

TSequoia01
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Actually both Sisters were done after the U.S. Open. Neither really wanted to play anymore tennis. Venus only showed up in Moscow because she was committed. They both went home and chilled out. I believe Richard when he said they had not practiced. Serena was in the worst form of the year and still made the finals. Amazing. She was not that unhappy when Kim defeated her which is not like Serena. But this loss was good for Serena, things were beginning to get too easy. This loss will prepare her for the Aussie, and this time she will be ready. :cool:

CC
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:42 AM
I hope it doesn't prepare her too well for OZ. I've already decided to give that one to Venus.

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:46 AM
It's crazy to think otherwise, don't you agree? Serena was totally out of form from the 2nd match she played, and Venus wasn't physically ready to compete. I agree that they both needed to play more after the US Open in order to be prepared for the year end event. I think that both girls will learn from this experience and come back stronger for 2003. Believe me, the Williams's reign is not over by a long shot. Oh yeah, congratulations Kim on a super win!!!! :bounce:

BK4ever
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:50 AM
I think both sisters will be ready at OZ, you could tell from Vee reaction last night that she is disappointed in her year and really wanted a chance to hoist the trophy.

As for Serena, this loss was the best thing that happened to her. It teaches her not to come into tournament unprepared. She also mentioned in an article that she was only taking a week off before hitting the practice court. Cant wait for the year to start.

I'm also looking forward to my break from WTAWORLD myself. I've logged way to many hours here this year.

Rubylips
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:55 AM
I think i could of beating Serena tonight.She was wipe out.I THINK SHE JUST WANTED TO GET IT OVER.

LeonHart
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Uhh..ok whatever Ruby :rolleyes:

persond
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Rubylips
I think i could of beating Serena tonight.She was wipe out.I THINK SHE JUST WANTED TO GET IT OVER.

:D :D I was thinking the exact same thing, and could see from the start of the match that Serena was not "herself".

However, congrats to Kim, for a win is a win. And, if anyone deserves it, it's Kim.:D :D

Jericho
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:26 AM
what i find amazing is that serena and venus didnt even practice and still made it far...

Rubylips
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:27 AM
true dat.

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Look, guys, the Willis are doing just fine. One loss doesn't a loser make. They are the year's leaders on almost all accounts.

This last tourney, though, clearly demonstrates that Seles, Jennifer and Kim are forces to reckon with. If we add a healthy Momo and an in-form Davenport to that list, we can brace ourselves for a tough and great WTA season next year.

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:02 AM
bump!

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by TennisPower
Look, guys, the Willis are doing just fine. One loss doesn't a loser make. They are the year's leaders on almost all accounts.

This last tourney, though, clearly demonstrates that Seles, Jennifer and Kim are forces to reckon with. If we add a healthy Momo and an in-form Davenport to that list, we can brace ourselves for a tough and great WTA season next year.

yeah for a while there they did seem larger-than-life or superhuman. i hope that their lack of preparation for this tournament doesn't mean that they started to believe that too! ;) ;) Venus was clearly not match fit, and Serena is carrying more body fat now than she did a mere few months ago. now they both know that they can no longer get away with that.

it's nice to see other players finally stepping up and taking the challenge to try to beat them. for the longest while poor Hingis toiled alone. and i'm sure that Capriati must have felt at points in the last year that it was entirely up to her. now others are accepting the challenge and that can only be good for tennis. we need to get some nice rivalries going. a Kim-Serena rivalry would be quite enjoyable if it blossoms into that.

Raisin
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Of course we know they're human after all. Its only the rest of the players and most of their fans who thought otherwise:o

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:44 AM
TennisChick:Venus was clearly not match fit, and Serena is carrying more body fat now than she did a mere few months ago Very perceptive, TC. I think, in their minds, the season ends after US Open. Everything else following that is the proverbial gravy. Let's hope they get properly prepared for Aussie-03. I'm sure Serena will as she's longing for what she calls a "Serena Grand Slam".

CC
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by TennisPower

Don't forget Justine!:D

tennischick
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Monday, November 11

Serena will have to prove herself again next year

By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- It's an interesting way to end the year -- Serena Williams' loss gives more people the thought that they can challenge the Williams sisters. For fans who want to see a more level field with more contenders it shows that it's possible.

Kim Clijsters had it all set up for her Monday night. She got Serena on a night she would be below her best -- Jennifer Capriati ensured that. As long as Clijsters stayed sure of herself and kept it close, she had a pretty good chance.

In her biggest match before this, the finals of the 2001 French Open, Clijsters had shown that she was not intimidated by the big situations. And she has the talent. Still, the big story is that Serena was a good level below her normal self. Serena didn't quite have enough energy physically or mentally to close out the first set when she served for it. She needed to close this out in straight sets -- rather than going three hard sets on consecutive nights.

Still, the year is about Serena not losing a match in any of the majors in which she played. That's still the outstanding performer of the year. Serena has to be disappointed, but I hope tomorrow she sees herself holding those French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open trophies and this match should disappear in a couple of days.

She won't be taking a winning streak into the Australian Open next year. The Aussie Open is an interesting challenge because neither Williams sister has been through to the finals there. Serena has only gotten as far as the semifinals, while Venus never has gotten past the quarterfinals.

So the Australian Open stands out as the one they've never done. And each time they think about something they've never done, they get fired up about it.

Venus needs to get herself in better condition and raise her level again. She seems to have dropped another level. In the semifinals here, Capriati looked like the second-best player, and now Clijsters is in the mix.

It remains to be seen how Serena will hold up to the pressure of trying to remain No. 1. The pressure didn't affect her at the U.S.Open, but once you start a new year, it's different. And Venus and Capriati aren't just going to give it to her -- they aren't just in this for a couple of good years.

So we'll find out how she'll handle it. She hasn't stayed healthy for a 12-month period yet. She's won four majors and had an unbelievable year. Although one great year makes you a champion, it's not enough to make you a legend.

Serendy Willick
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Can Pam Shriver at least get her facts straight? Venus made the semis, not Serena.