PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else prefer television?

BigTennisFan
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:47 AM
I went to the semifinals yesterday and while it was enjoyable in it's own way, I find that I much prefer watching tennis on television as long as it's live like it has been this past week.

I had what most people would consider very good seats (right at courtside on the baseline three rows back) but frankly I perfer to be a bit higher up and more on the sidelines.

But the person who bought our tickets took the "best available" so I shouldn't complain too much.
But you simply cannot see as much live as you can on television. For example I had no idea that Venus almost broke down when she had to retire yesterday. She was out of our sight but apparently the camera picked that up.

Also I like the ESPN spot cam. It really shows that the linespeople are usually right on in their calls.:)

Then again, it could be the venue. I enjoyed being live at Manhattan Beach far more than I did at the Staples Center. Maybe I just don't like seeing tennis in a cavern. On the other hand, what's a bigger cave than Ashe Stadium? But you do have sky above you there rather than sky boxes.:(

That being said, I will continue to go to live tennis when I can if for no other reason than to support the WTA tour.
Sometimes duty calls.

:angel:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:23 AM
I much prefer it live - of course it's not as good if your seats are terrible- But I never really fathomed just how fast, and hard hitting the pros were untill I saw them from about ten feet away.

I usually wander around the side courts (you have this option at a masters series), where you can sit just about anywhere you want, and see quality players (they put Grosjean on court two this year!).

Even on Louis Armstrong at the US Open - I was in the first row that you don't need a fancy ticket to sit in - I found I much prefer it live.

That was I feel more a part of it or something. That, and nothing makes me laugh as much as the lame things people around me say ("Thomas Johanson? This guys's terrible! I bet he's never even won a tournament!" - thanks for coming out moron ;) )

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:25 AM
My bad - I just recalled my experience from the back of Arthur Ash.

While I was greatful for the tickets, and it was fun to be there for the first 5 minutes or so - you can't see squat from up there, and TV is certaintly better for the tennis.

Jeff
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:36 AM
I agree, in a way. I went to the semifinals, too. I couldn't see the match as much as I could on television or see the spot cam, but the positive about seeing it in person is the atmosphere. Just to know you are in the same arena watching them play and hearing people shout "Go Serena" no "Go Jennifer." Just think that's hilarious.

The thing I don't like about the Staples Center, is that you have no chance to get autographs or see players really up close....except Pam Shriver, got a pic with her :D But, at other places like the Acura Classic, you can see players' matches upclose on the side courts and tavel around and see more than one match at a time.