PDA

View Full Version : Legal age for consumption of alcohol....

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Question #4

Scotso
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:49 PM
should be illegal.

Gallofa
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:51 PM
18 - if you can go to jail and be held responsible of your actions by then, then that age should apply to all things.

Josh
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
There should be no legal drinking age.

Dahveed
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Let's not exaggerate either :rolleyes:

I find the '21' legal drinking age ridiculous. No limits in France, well you're not supposed to give alcohol to peeps under 14 (i think) in bars. But anyone can buy alcohol. And cigarettes.

Imposing a legal drinking age won't solve the problems anyway imo. Everything forbidden is a bigger temptation. I never drank alcohol before 15, but maybe cos i was an angel! :D

Hurricane Lily
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:02 PM
i'm with Josh! hmmpppff!

Josh
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:04 PM
I agree with Dahveed. Making something illegal is often a reason why rebellious teenagers wanna try it. ;)

Hurricane Lily
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:05 PM
yeah, look what happened to moi? ;)

lemon
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:15 AM
I say 18, In the U.S. 18 is good enough to put your life on the line be going into the draft, old enough to put your say into the gov't, old enough to not be a dependant anymore, etc. so IMO alcohol should be legal @ 18

Scotso
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:30 AM
You're not putting your life on the line, you're putting other people's on the line. Too many people are killed by drunk drivers.

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Why not forbidding cars then?

Scotso
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Cars are necessary, alcohol is not.

lemon
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by GoLleyt
You're not putting your life on the line, you're putting other people's on the line. Too many people are killed by drunk drivers.
ummmm... where did you get that from my previous statment?

MartianJoeyWinson
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Cars are necessary? Okay so alcohol aint necessary but sorry mate.. it is actually possible to live and transport yourself around, even commute as a businessman/woman without having to buy a car.

I think the alcohol level should stay 18.

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:49 AM
18.no younger,the years before it is inevidable drinking will happen.....but its not as often responsibly.

Scotso
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by JoeyWinson
Cars are necessary? Okay so alcohol aint necessary but sorry mate.. it is actually possible to live and transport yourself around, even commute as a businessman/woman without having to buy a car.

I think the alcohol level should stay 18.

Sorry "mate" but this isn't england, it's the middle of nowhere USA and we don't have public transportation.

SM
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:27 AM
so for 5% of abusers that means 95% of consumers should suffer? so 95% of people should incur a utility loss ? dont think so...

alcohol already has a big excise tax as a deterrant and i doubt age will prevent those 5% of abusers anyway!! they'll definately find alternative means to get it and/or other substances

so i say 18 is good. the system in aus :)

angele87
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:12 AM
This is a tough question imo... there needs to be a legal age limit because it wouldn't make sense to have 5 years old buying beer but what the age should be is hard to decide because teenagers are drinking anyway so it's not as if having the limit now is helping any... maybe it would just be better if the age was lower so younger people could go into more controlled places like bars instead of out of control house parties. Not to say that bars are totally safe but I would think safer than those house parties... but meh, I dunno, it's a tough question... I voted for 16!

Williams Rulez
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:23 AM

BigB0882
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:37 AM
I voted to leave the age at 21, but after more thought I want to change it to 18. If I can go to war and die for this country, and if I can pay taxes like everyone else, then surely I should be able to drink if I damn well please!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:37 AM
People drinking alcohol does not cause accidents, people drinking alcohol who get behind the wheel, cause accidents.

And prohibition doesn't work anways. It's been done. And it got some people very rich (Kennedy's, no?)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:39 AM
I might also point out that the tax on alcohol in my province, helps pave our roads - ironic a bit, but the money has to come from somewhere ;)

I voted for 18 btw.

Dahveed
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:19 PM
You never drank before 18 Becca then? :p

Maajken
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Option no.1

Its absolutely immoral to restrict the consumption of something that vital!

3MTA3
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:37 PM
jsut to show how retarded the USA really is:
16- you may drive
18- you may vote and legally die in the service of our country
21- you may drink.

Does anyone other than me see a problem with this?

by the way, 18 should be the age you can do any of the above, IMO.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM
18 is ok. that's what we have here. under 18 is ridiculous i think. like in denmark.. germany.. holland ++.
and 21 in US.... :eek: pffffff.... :p
you can drive at 16 in many states... but not drink til you're 21?? :p

3MTA3
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:45 PM
you can drive in all 50 states @ 16. and in some rural states you can drive @ 14/15.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:48 PM
:eek: ALL the states?? oh.. ok.. thanks :)

I know that 16 for driving and 21 for drinking is bcoz they don't want any drink 'n' drive.... but i feel that being resposable of a veichle at age 16 is crazy....

3MTA3
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:55 PM
I agree, 16 is not the easiest age to be at and with the added responsibility of a car, that is cause for some drama.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:00 PM
here in norway, we can practice-drive at 16, with an adult who's over 25 and has the driver's licence for more than 5 year.... and get the actual licence at 18.

at age 18 we can buy alcohol but ONLY stuff with no more than 4,7% of alcohol, except wines. and the harder stuff... like Bacardi Breezers etc. and liquer.. you'll have to be 21. i think the rules here are ok. But if kids really wanna get alcohol, it's sooooooo easy.

oh, and we can vote when we're 18 too.

Candy946
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:03 PM
21 :p

Mazza
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
I'm going to go with 16. But teens are still going to be able to get hold of alcohol whatever the legal age... same with smoking really.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dahveed
You never drank before 18 Becca then? :p

Oh look - not only is Davy online, but he remembers my name too. Who would have thunk it?

Of course I drank before 18. I also wouldn't protest the removal of a legal age altogether. However, having always grown up with one, I feel like 18 is a good age.

You are considered an adul from a legal standpoint at 18, you can vote at 18 - it seems stupid that this province has the legal age set at 19.

Halardfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:32 PM
I voted 16...

At what age can one buy a gun in some US states??? Im assuming in some places its at a lower age than you can drink, which is bizarre, and quite insane.

Halardfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Just had a quick look around the web...Texas is one of several US stares that have NO AGE LIMIT for buying a gun whatsoever!!! The age at which you can drink Alcohol is 21...

Surely anyone and everyone finds this completely mad, and is just anothe reason why Texas is a haven for right-wing nuts. (See GW)

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:54 PM
lol chris;)

are you serious?? no limit at all?? :eek:

it's hard to get weapons here... even those softgun/bb guns are illegal. a friend of mine had bought a plastic softgun, and was out playing with it... out of nowhere this cop approached him, took the gun and noted his name etc....

Barrie_Dude
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by angele87
This is a tough question imo... there needs to be a legal age limit because it wouldn't make sense to have 5 years old buying beer but what the age should be is hard to decide because teenagers are drinking anyway so it's not as if having the limit now is helping any... maybe it would just be better if the age was lower so younger people could go into more controlled places like bars instead of out of control house parties. Not to say that bars are totally safe but I would think safer than those house parties... but meh, I dunno, it's a tough question... I voted for 16!

Wanna come by my place for a drink sweet baby?;) :hearts: :kiss:

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by GoLleyt

Sorry "mate" but this isn't england, it's the middle of nowhere USA and we don't have public transportation.

I don't agree. You're used to a car and that's why you think it's necessary. Centuries ago, people lived in the middle of nowhere too and they had no cars, but they survived, didn't they? I have the feeling you never drink alcohol, so making alcohol illegal would not affect you, right? Then it's pretty easy to say that something should be illegal.

caramel
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:03 PM
There should be no legal drinking age!!! If you are 15 and you want to drink Jack Danielīs you should go for it. :bounce:

caramel
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:03 PM
That doesnīt mean I drank Jack Danielīs at the age of 15!!!!

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
a 15 year old and Jack Daniel? lmao. fucked up.

caramel
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Stinger
a 15 year old and Jack Daniel? lmao. fucked up.

:p It was actually meant to sound f@cked up! Haha! :p

Monica_Rules
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:20 PM
I'm 17 and i drink i say once or twice a month maybe more if i go out quite a bit.I tend to drink a lot in one go i usually drink about 5 Smirnoff Ice's then i'm onto whiskey/vodka shots about 5/6 usually.

I went to Cardiff for a singing competition with school and i drank 20 shots of vodka/whiskey in one night.I felt like hell the next day!

But about the question i say 16.In the UK anyway most 16/17 year olds do anyway so ...

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:40 PM
did you just brag about your drinking habits? :o...

gentenaire
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I voted for no age limit.

Re: drink and drive. Why impose an age limit on drinking to prevent drunk drivers? There's already an age limit on driving.

Let a 12 year try some beer, he probably won't like it. Kids don't like wine or beer. I tried it as a child and thought I was being cool but I didn't like it all, I wasn't tempted to try it again later.

carot
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:56 PM
i loved beer and wine as a kid tine, but now i hardly drink anymore lol, i got it all when i was a child so nothing interesting now ;)