PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters not ready to forgive Indian Wells

GogoGirl
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Lordy - I wonder if the Sisters ever will forgive IW? Venus hopes never to go thru anything like that again.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/021111/80/decq5.html

Monday November 11, 04:01 AM

Williams sisters not ready to forgive Indian Wells

Click to enlarge photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Serena and Venus Williams have indicated that Indian Wells will not be on their schedules next season following the racial abuse the sisters say they received at the Californian tournament two years ago.

"I would like to play where people like to see me play," said Serena after reaching the final of the WTA Championships with a 2-6 6-4 6-4 win over Jennifer Capriati. "People like to see me play in LA.

"I did have a couple of fans out there (Indian Wells) but I think the vast majority of them didn't like me out there.

"I'm an entertainer and I don't want to entertain if they don't want to be entertained."

Forced to retire from her semi-final with Belgian Kim Clijsters because of a leg injury, Venus was asked if it brought back memories of her pull-out from the Indian Wells Masters in 2001.

Withdrawing at the last minute from a match against her sister, Venus was mercilessly booed by the angry crowd.

During the final the next day, the crowd turned on Serena, father Richard Williams later saying his daughters and other family members had been the target of racial slurs.

"I'll never forget that, that's for sure," said Venus. "It was a pretty intense moment to go through and not many people have to go through those things in their lives."

Neither of the sisters played in this year's Indian Wells tournament.

TSequoia01
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Well such is life. Indian Wells will get along fine without the Sisters and the Sisters will get along fine without Indian Wells. Serena could tonight amass over $4,000,000 in prize money while Venus has something like 2.3 million. They seem to be doing quite well. :cool:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:33 PM
I agree :)

It would be good for them to return, but I didn't go thru the situation -- they did.

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Funny, I was thinking of a thread like this... (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44799)

selesfan1
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:15 AM
I don't think anything at Indian Wells was racially motivted.

niratti
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:27 AM
maybe (some of) the IW crowd not ready to forgive the Williams sisters too.

so, i think it's the right decision for this moment. There are plenty tournaments for them.

Pureracket
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Serena made those same comments months ago.

venusfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:55 AM
The sisters are doing the other players a favor.. now they have a tournament to look forward to that they can win each year knowing that the sisters wont be there.

Volcana
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:30 AM
selesfan1 - Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

BigTennisFan
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:30 AM
"The sisters are doing the other players a favor.. now they have a tournament to look forward to that they can win each year knowing that the sisters won't be there."

Absolutely! I don't understand what all the fuss is about anyway;
The way that some people whined, bitched and moaned and carried on about how V&S were killing women's tennis by being so dominating.

You'd think that they would rejoice that there is a big tournament where they don't have to suffer through an all-Williams final.
In fact, for them, it's even better because they don't have to worry about a Williams being in the final at all.

:D :angel:

BigB0882
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:55 AM
I don't know if I can agree with what Venus said about not many people having to go through what she went through. Unless she was talking about being boo'd in such a public way, then I just can't understand. She certainly isn't the only or the last black woman to have to deal with racial remarks. Certainly nearly anyone that is a minority has had to deal with a similar situation.

Mr Luis Gonzalez
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Good for Venus and Serena I hope they NEVER return to that jack town they call a tennis tournament! Unless you go what they went through you will NEVER understand! That tournament should be ashamed for what they did to those young ladies. NO player should have to endure that mess from anywhere!

way to go ladies! We're behind you all the way!

Rae Q.
Nov 12th, 2002, 03:37 AM
I don't mind Wx2 boycotting anything formerly called the Evert Cup.

Rocketta
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by BigB0882
I don't know if I can agree with what Venus said about not many people having to go through what she went through. Unless she was talking about being boo'd in such a public way, then I just can't understand. She certainly isn't the only or the last black woman to have to deal with racial remarks. Certainly nearly anyone that is a minority has had to deal with a similar situation.

I think she was speaking in terms of tennis players.

GogoGirl
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I love the below paragraphs. Kim will neva forget that day. In that - she has something in common w/the Sisters. It may be sad - but very true. She handled that situation better than any other player might have - IMO.

"ENJOY YOUR VICTORY & ACCOMPLISHMENT - KIM" "ENJOY ALL OF YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS - VENUS & SERENA"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/la-sp-tennis12nov12,0,3052580.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Then there was the controversial 2001 Indian Wells final, in which the crowd booed Williams during the entire match. Clijsters lost after winning the first set and leading in the second but handled the matter with class, earning the respect of the sisters.

Clijsters, who won three of her last four tournaments this year, was just as classy in victory. She hugged Williams and reveled in her breakthrough moment, showing she will be a serious threat to win a Grand Slam title next year. Her boyfriend, men's No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, told her to enjoy the moment when they spoke on the phone before the final.
Email story

"Topaz"
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:57 AM
At some point, I think they should reconsider. Same with Dokic as regards Aussie.

CHOCO
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:03 AM
That incident at IW left some permanent mental and emotional scars on the Williams family forever. Especially being that Venus and Serena were only just teenagers. I don't ever see them going back to IW. And that is a shame because up to that point, both girls had fond memories from there.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:16 AM
Why should they reconsider? All they have to do is replace it with another tier one. I'm sure there are other fans around the world who would love to see them. I say skip IW and go somewhere else. Its not like they are the only ones skipping out, jen wont be there either and its her perogative not to go.

BasicTennis
Nov 13th, 2002, 04:29 AM
other players should be happy about this because they have greater chance to win this title.;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by BigB0882

Nah, I think Vee is right. 'Cause I am black and have never in my life dealt with obvious racism or obviously questionnable treatment. I don't know how I would react because I come from utopia-happiness. I admire the sisters so much. I hate IW. How ironic--the name of the tournament. Sheesh

Kirt12255
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:38 AM
I don't think they will return in the near future. It isn't just the matter at hand but also the bad press etc etc.

Having not gone there this year means they have no points to defend? I might be wrong...often are LOL

And!!!!!!!!..............

being a massive Jelena fan and Aussie, what she was put through in the press here was criminal.

No!! and absolutely no 16-17 year old should be exposed to those mediogre attempts at a front page in the sports section here.

We miss you!!!!! Come Back!! (said in a rose-jack dramatic Titanic moment)

Okies off to get some tissues :-( Just thinking what Lleyton and Jelena could do in the Hopman Cup..."sniff"

Kirt

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:59 AM
I figure they'll stay away as long as any significant number of tennis people contend the incident had nothing to do with race. It's kind of the perfect counter arguement. "Wallow in denial all you like, but do it without us."

Because every year people will ask why they aren't there, and every year, the answer will come back 'racist crowd'. And they'll show the tape. It looks like African American schoolgirls walking through racist white crowds to go to school in in Little Rock, Arkansas. That kind of racism is so emblematic of the United States, the image almost trumps reality. We've seen so many images of black-hating white crowds down through the years in the US, its easy to dump all blame on the crowd. Me personally, I dump most of the blame on the commentators. The McEnroe's and Shriver's of the world, (as well a player or two) were quick to slander the Williamses before that incident, and quick to deny theior own words afterward.

Hearing Cliff Drysdale talking about 'never believing' any of the match-fixing rumors I could accept, because I've never heard him say such a thing OR let someone else say it inthe booth without challenging them. Hearing (I believe) Pam Shriver say she'd never believed it either was sickening. Because she HAD let those accusations go without challenging them.

Mary Jo Fernendez played against Venus of course, so I'm not surprised she'd be fair to an opponent she respected.

To here McEnroe talk about match-fixing, and then hearing about him using steroids as a player .. well, perhaps he should refrain from accusing people of crimes until he comments publicly about his own.

Penguin
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:25 PM
I understand the Williamses skipping IW, its their choice, if they don't want to go, then nobody is forcing them. We're all grown-ups, and I wouldn't want to play either...

However, i hope none of the people in here going "they should never play at IW again, it serves the tournament right, blablabla" criticised Jelena on skipping the Australian season.
Because that would be really hypocrit... :rolleyes:

Aloysius
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Don't worry, Serena. We'll love you in Perth. We want to be entertained!

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:38 PM
To be honest I doubt the crowds at IW care very much for the Williamses either, so It works as a win-win.
It's not like a tournament loses credibility just because the Williams don't play there. No player is indispensible - and neither is any tournament, for that matter.

knop you're missing the point. The tournament loses credibility not because venus or serena or jen are not there, they lose credibility because the number ONE, TWO, and THREE players in the world who are AMERICAN refuse to play in a Tier One AMERICAN event.

If that doesnt say something about the tournament I dont know what does.

It would be like Kim and Justine refusing to play a Belgian tournament. You dont think belgians would be upset?

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:10 PM
PhoenixStorm - I don't know if Belgians would be upset, but WHY they weren't playing would certainly be news, as it is in this case.

Larrybid
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:30 PM
If IW were a grand slam touney, I'd advise the Williams sisters to suck it up and go anyway. This is simply a matter of common sense and duty to the sport. What would happen if Yankee players refused to play in Boston becasue they felt mistreated there - the fans were vulgar and made even their wives and kids in the stands suffer from abuse. To assume abuse of players nevers happens in professional sport is crazy - it unfortunately happens often - that's why I don't begrudge them the big bucks.

I was one of those that criticized Dokic, and I don't feel hypocritical in the least. The Aussie Open and IW are not the same. The GS's are the playoffs of the sport, and if she considers herself one of the sports elite, she should swallow hard and show up at all the GS's. I personally don't care if she shows at the AO, becasue I don't take her seriously as a player. My main beef is her crazy allegations that the AO rigged the draw against her. For all the paroniod reasons not to show at a GS....geez.

Helen Lawson
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:55 PM
They should retunr. Not returning is just giving the crowd what they want, no more Williams matches. They should go back just to shove it in the crowd's face!

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Why does Jennifer not play there?!

PhoenixStorm
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Jen has bad blood between her and that evil tournament director or IW, I foget his name.

Volcana
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:41 PM
PhoenixStorm - I was given to understand that Jenn had bad history inthe area with an old boyfriend, not that she ahd any problems with Charlie Pasarall.

selesfan1
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Ok, this i the way I see it. People wantedto see a match between 2 sisters. elena D sort of predited it unfortunately it happened. Everyone thought Elena D was right the crowd got pissed maybe it wasn't the best way to handle it but you have to understand how they felt. Again I don't think the williams sisters truly know what racism is. And thei attitudes at the beginning didn't help. I can name ****less ocasions where the williams could've been the ones CONSIDERED to be racist not that means they are.

wongqks
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:59 PM
I think what happen in Indian wells in 2001 is scandalous, yes Venus pull out but the crowd is aboslutely uncalled for in the final, and this is the only time (and I hope it will be the last time) that I can say that there were some racist element into it.

I hope they will return, but if they don't they all all the reasons in the world for it. And I hope they won't return until they got a formal apology from the tournament

TSequoia01
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:04 PM
[i]I can name ****less ocasions where the williams could've been the ones CONSIDERED to be racist not that means they are. [/B]

****less?????? Freudian you think? ;)

PhoenixStorm
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Yes its that charlie guy! I knew it ended with a P. At any rate from what I heard its get to do with him as well as the ex whatever that guy was.

the cat
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Let's see, the 3 best women's tennis players don't play Indian Wells. Thus the tournament loses alot of credibility! :eek: That's fact, not fiction!

And people will still attend Indian WElls because it's a popular event for the wealthy people of California. But the tournament is indeed hurt with the refusal of the Williams sisters and Jennifer Capriati to play Indian Wells. The top 3 men's tennis players don't refuse to play Indian Wells. Do they?

Helen Lawson
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:32 PM
The crowd there obviously hated the Williams sisters, booed and hissed at them and worse and now they have "won" because the Williams sisters no longer play there so the crowds can go and not have to see them play. The crowd won! That is why they should return and "wreck" the tournament by appearing in it!

griffin
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:02 PM
By that logic, I should take my big dyke self and move in next to Fred Phelps.

Ain't happening. Ain't worth my time.

Serena won that day despite the way the crowd (or a significant portion of it) treated her and her family. Venus stayed to watch. They made any point there was to be made right then and there and have nothing left to prove. IMO, it's not about whether the IW mob wins or loses, it's about how and where Venus and Serena want to spend their energy and if the choose to use it to reward tournaments that appreciate them rather than try to punish someone else, more power to them.

Beside, I love watching Chucky P try to talk out both sides of his mouth - claiming at once that the tournament doesn't need them and still whine that they're being unreasonable.

anton
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:39 PM
I think the empty seat of this event speak for themselves. And a funny quote is from Goran Ivanesavic. something like "everybody is 90 here. it looks like somebody is going to die." indian wells is a retirement community and resort for older wealthy people. Maybe they can turn it into a seniors event. Chris evert could play John mcenroe in "the real final"

PhoenixStorm
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:52 PM
I think you've got it wrong helen the crowd loses because in fact they WANTED TO SEE THEM PLAY A SEMI FINAL. The crowd wanted to see them and when they didnt get what they wanted they felt used because the two players are sisters and must have "conspired" to let the other one win. Forget that the injury was verified, forget that they had no proof and in this country its innocent until proven guilty. NOoooooo they went off the deep end and attacked the sisters viciously.

If they didnt care to see them they would not have shown up to the semi or the final.

sartrista7
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by TSequoia01

****less?????? Freudian you think? ;)

lmao, lmao, lmao

Anyway, it's their choice and really, there's no right or wrong to it. They go back if they feel able to, they don't if they don't. In other ways it might be quite sensible though - we all know hard courts are the most injury-inducing courts, and V and S both play heavily on that surface. One less hard court tourney will hopefully mean less chance of injury.

Venere e Davide
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:40 PM
I heartily applaud Venus and Serena's decision not to play Indian Wells just as I am 100% behind Monica's decision never to play in Germany.

dubro
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:50 PM
dio protegga anche voi Venere&Davide!

(comunque quella del razzismo è tutta una scusa....loro hanno paura di perdere!!!!)

ciaooooooooo
:cool: