PDA

View Full Version : Has this been done before?

laj
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Serena Williams has won four Grand Slams in her career beating the #1 or #2 ranked players in the finals of each of those tournaments, doing it in all in straight sets. Which other player or players has/have done this before?

Helen Lawson
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Tracy Austin may have done it once.

laj
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Nope, it took 3 sets for Tracy to beat #1 Martina N. at the 1981 US Open finals. She did beat #1 Chris Evert in straight sets at the 1979 US Open.

Helen Lawson
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Curses! I don't know. Maybe check Hana Mandlikova, she had to beat Chris (2) and Martina (1) back to back for U.S. Open, '85, and beat Martina (1) in Australia final in '87. She beat Chris at French Open (1 or 2 then, I think) in semis in '81, but she beat neither of them for '80 Australian title. Wendy took out Martina in her semi. Hana is maybe as close as you will get. Evonne also, she beat many also.

Brian Stewart
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Martina Navratilova has beaten the #1 or #2 ranked player in the finals of a slam a record 12 times. 6 of those were in straight sets. Serena is one away from tying Chris Evert, who beat a #1 or #2 in a slam final 5 times. Then next would be Graf. Of the other prominent slam winners of the past 20 years that I checked (Graf, Seles, Evert), only Steffi has defeated a #1 or #2 in a slam final in straight sets more than once. She did it 3 times, which means Serena is already in 2nd among this group.

laj
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
Martina Navratilova has beaten the #1 or #2 ranked player in the finals of a slam a record 12 times. 6 of those were in straight sets. Serena is one away from tying Chris Evert, who beat a #1 or #2 in a slam final 5 times. Then next would be Graf. Of the other prominent slam winners of the past 20 years that I checked (Graf, Seles, Evert), only Steffi has defeated a #1 or #2 in a slam final in straight sets more than once. She did it 3 times, which means Serena is already in 2nd among this group.

Thanks, Brian, great research!