PDA

View Full Version : How would you compare Court and Navratilova, game wise?

rimon
Nov 5th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Who do you think had the better:

1st serve
2nd serve
Volleys
Smash
Movement
Forehand
Backhand
Mental strength
Finesse?

austinrunner
Nov 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Did you tire of the thread in general discussion?
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20391643&highlight=#post20391643

rimon
Nov 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Did you tire of the thread in general discussion?
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20391643&highlight=#post20391643

That wasn't the same topic, but yes, I did tire of that thread.

Jem
Nov 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM
1st serve - Navratilova
2nd serve - Navratilova
Volleys - Court
Smash - Court but almost a tie
Movement - Navratilova
Forehand (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448168#) - Navratilova
Backhand - Court
Mental strength (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448168#) - Navratilova but almost a tie
Finesse? - Navratilova

tennisvideos
Nov 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
1st serve - Navratilova
2nd serve - Navratilova
Volleys - Court
Smash - Court but almost a tie
Movement - Navratilova
Forehand (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448168#) - Navratilova
Backhand - Court
Mental strength (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=448168#) - Navratilova but almost a tie
Finesse? - Navratilova

Serve - Navratilova
Volleys - Navratilova
Smash - Court
Movement - Court but close one
Forehand - Tie
Backhand - Court
Mental - Court (winning 92% career singles and 24 of 29 GS Finals clinches this IMO)
Finesse - Navratilova

Overall Navratilova the better grass and fast court player - evidenced by her Wimbledon domination. Court the better all court player or baseliner - evidenced from winning 5/10 French titles.

alfajeffster
Nov 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
1st serve- (tie) Court had more power, but Navratilova had that lefty hook weapon

2nd serve- Court, she was kind of Sampras-like in that, as Becker once said "he doesn't know the difference between 1st and 2nd serves"

Volleys- Navratilova, hands up (down would be a mistake). She's easily one of the top 5 best volleyers, male or female, in the history of our sport.

Smash- Court had the best. Martina's was very good, but I dare say not on the backhand overhead, and against a decidedly weaker field.

Movement- Navratilova was slightly quicker than Court and the split and change direction steps at the net. I think Margaret would win a longer distance dash.

Forehand- Court's forehand was more consistent and more powerful. Martina's was all over the place- great on some days, but more often than not, a loopy stroke.

Backhand- Court's backhand is very underrated, and she could and did put her slice on a dime. I think Martina's approach was better, but she wasn't as good from the baseline.

Mental strength- Court. Even with those "nerves" she was so competitive and never broke down in the middle of a match the way Martina could on occasion.

Finesse?- Martina, easily. Great hands, and she hit Goolagong shots and volleys on many occasions. Court was a juggernaut of aggressive power, and yes, BJK was right, she didn't have good hands. In the land of fantasy, it'd be interesting to see how Margaret would've played as a lefty- finesse or just power.

laschutz
Nov 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM
first and second serve: martina... martina had more variety, had that wicked left handedness... court's first serve was 100 percent all the time flat, her second serve flat or sliced... not much variety plus more than martina she had a tendency to double fault when nervous, because she didn't have much in the way of a 'safety net" between her first and second serves....

volleys?: court forehand, martina backhand..

strength/power: martina, i always thought she was just a improved stronger margaret...

speed around the court: martina, once again just a better margaret, although perhaps like someone mentioned margaret might win off the court in a foot race.

endurance: both were incredible.. but did you ever see martina worn out in a match?

reflexes: martina, no other woman in history (except billie jean in her prime) could pull off the reflexes shots whether at the net or the back of the court like martina.

forehand ground stroke: in my opinion martina, i rarely saw martina " go off her forehand like someone else suggested... margaret had a great forehand, but it was a very 'slashing off balance violent' shot that i think could falter under great pressure whether mentally or physically..

backhand: margaret, although martina's backhand slice approach shot has/had no equal..

mental: that's iffy,.. obviously martina was a basket case for the first years of her career, and even later one when she was dominating if someone anyone could stay close to her there was always the chance she could and would lose it.. however, then again for her to come out on top in a number of close matches against the ultimate mental game champ, evert, bodes well for martina as well...

finesse/touch: martina hands down... rarely saw margaret use touch whether at night or from the back of the court... margaret well very good from the net and from the back of the court was more or less one dimensional similar to a tracy austin.. what i mean is margaret bulldoze through opponets using her strength, power and intimdating all court game, but rarely or she couldn't use tactics, or finesse and other things to win if for some reason her basic game plan wasn't working that day, like austin ( of course only from the back of the court) she had no plan b, or plan c....

besides comparing their strokes, perhaps one also needs to compare how their strokes matched up to their biggest rivals... (king, evert, goolagong, etcetera)... this could start a whole other topic thread for pages... so i'll leave it only to the discussion of court and martina vs evert...

evert was NOT troubled by court's game even as a wood racket more or less one dimensional teenager...

evert was not intimidated by court whether her game or her personality on court....and yes, (9 to 4 evert's favor) they only played 13 times, and yes, a few of them were when margaret was way past her prime.. however if a 15 to 18 year old teenage wood racket wielding one dimensional chrissie can be even in matches 3 to 3 with a very experienced, champion margaret very close or at her peak from their matches from 1970 to 1973.... then common sense would tell you how would chrissie handle margaret when she reached her own womanhood and prime years later?

evert vs martina a whole other story obviously.....

alfajeffster
Nov 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
first and second serve: martina... martina had more variety, had that wicked left handedness... court's first serve was 100 percent all the time flat, her second serve flat or sliced... not much variety plus more than martina she had a tendency to double fault when nervous, because she didn't have much in the way of a 'safety net" between her first and second serves....

volleys?: court forehand, martina backhand..

strength/power: martina, i always thought she was just a improved stronger margaret...

speed around the court: martina, once again just a better margaret, although perhaps like someone mentioned margaret might win off the court in a foot race.

endurance: both were incredible.. but did you ever see martina worn out in a match?

reflexes: martina, no other woman in history (except billie jean in her prime) could pull off the reflexes shots whether at the net or the back of the court like martina.

forehand ground stroke: in my opinion martina, i rarely saw martina " go off her forehand like someone else suggested... margaret had a great forehand, but it was a very 'slashing off balance violent' shot that i think could falter under great pressure whether mentally or physically..

backhand: margaret, although martina's backhand slice approach shot has/had no equal..

mental: that's iffy,.. obviously martina was a basket case for the first years of her career, and even later one when she was dominating if someone anyone could stay close to her there was always the chance she could and would lose it.. however, then again for her to come out on top in a number of close matches against the ultimate mental game champ, evert, bodes well for martina as well...

finesse/touch: martina hands down... rarely saw margaret use touch whether at night or from the back of the court... margaret well very good from the net and from the back of the court was more or less one dimensional similar to a tracy austin.. what i mean is margaret bulldoze through opponets using her strength, power and intimdating all court game, but rarely or she couldn't use tactics, or finesse and other things to win if for some reason her basic game plan wasn't working that day, like austin ( of course only from the back of the court) she had no plan b, or plan c....

besides comparing their strokes, perhaps one also needs to compare how their strokes matched up to their biggest rivals... (king, evert, goolagong, etcetera)... this could start a whole other topic thread for pages... so i'll leave it only to the discussion of court and martina vs evert...

evert was NOT troubled by court's game even as a wood racket more or less one dimensional teenager...

evert was not intimidated by court whether her game or her personality on court....and yes, (9 to 4 evert's favor) they only played 13 times, and yes, a few of them were when margaret was way past her prime.. however if a 15 to 18 year old teenage wood racket wielding one dimensional chrissie can be even in matches 3 to 3 with a very experienced, champion margaret very close or at her peak from their matches from 1970 to 1973.... then common sense would tell you how would chrissie handle margaret when she reached her own womanhood and prime years later?

evert vs martina a whole other story obviously.....

In Margaret's defense, she usually didn't have a coach, let alone something like TeamNavratilova to help her figure out how to beat Evert and anyone else who came close or beat Martina a few times. Occasionally after one of her breaks, she enlisted the help of a coach or fellow pro, but usually just did it herself. The 1973 French Open Court won over Evert is a spectacular match. Evert probably would've won more matches and titles from Navratilova except for that lefty hook serve out wide in the ad court. Court (unlike BJK) had very nice things to say about both Evert and Navratilova's games toward the end of Margaret's career. It speaks volumes about her character and, like Evert, the professionalism she projected to tennis fans all over the world. We haven't seen that kind of example since Steffi retired in 1999 (IMO) and I really miss it. Azarenka is about as close as it comes to being a lady both on court and in press conferences. Much as I like watching Serena play, I usually just turn off her press conferences and interviews any more. The example for youngsters is awful.