PDA

View Full Version : If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next year?

bobito
Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Last winter Kvitova's coach David Kotyza did a great job of improving Petra's fitness, speed and footwork and boy has it paid off this year. So where should the focus be now?

I'll start off by saying that she needs to put away the easy winners consistently. Too many times this year I've seen her throw her opponent out wide with a slice serve and get a weak return that she then belts as hard as she can and has the ball boys diving for cover. If the court is wide open, just roll it in for a winner.

Secondly, she needs top close down the net better when she comes in. She's a good vollier but she often makes them harder than they need to be.

Excelscior
Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:21 PM
You just said what I was about to say (closing out the running sitters, off the Lefty Slice serve out wide, and closing the net sometimes). Petra likes to hang out in that mid-court area, closer to the net for some reason. Lol.

She can also learn to go to her plan B quicker, than the near end of a set, or after a set is completed. Maybe after 2-3 games she can change tactics or attitude instead.

She must continue to go to the net when it presents itself, and mix up her shots/show variety, especially early in tournaments, when she's playing her way into form, for cheap, easy points. This strategy also works well with retrievers, on any surface.

Those were the most obvious.

Any thing else, would just be continual improvement. She already moves well (though you gonna get knuckle heads here who incredulously claims she don't), she's fit (ditto as before), and she has all the shots. She should continue to improve and refine all of those aspects.

I think she should also continue to add speed to her serve. The great thing with Petra though; she doesn't have to serve fast (though she can and does) to serve well . That's great, when you're late in a game or don't want to double fault, pacing through a tournament, or just plain ole tired. But she should continue to increase her speed.

As far as tournament goals:

She should also set a goal to make it to the finals of the Australian, French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympics next year.

Another goal would be, to take her experience on a slow indoor hardcourt at Istanbul and Moscow, and translate it to success at Indian Wells, Doha and Miami next year.

She should also set a goal to make the finals of Tokyo next year, after making the semis this year (and blowing a 5-1 first set lead, against a player she beat several weeks later 6-2, 6-4).

Of course we can go on and on with this.

ananke
Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
Net play. She already has the courage to go to the net often, but her volleys are still... less than perfect.

Maybe she can hire Navratilova, now that she's rich :oh:

LightWarrior
Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Mentally she has sometimes have unexplicably lapses. So just hire a psychologist, that's it. And she will dominate.

flyingmachine
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
It seems she can prove to concentration lapse so she needs to improve that.
Also things like fitness her puppy fat needs to go now and movement. She is not the worse mover but definitely not the best ones so she needs to improve on that.
Also her net play and at time her game need to refine it in order to make it even better.
Anyway it will be an interesting 2012 for her for sure.

ananke
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
Mentally she has sometimes have unexplicably lapses. So just hire a psychologist, that's it. And she will dominate.
She is already working with one.

Mynarco
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
Her taste in men

Spring Pools
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:13 AM
Her taste in men

Or boys...

ExtremespeedX
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Volleys. For someone who rushes the net as often as she does, her volleys need to be improved. I know people call her great volleyer because nobody can volley on WTA, but if she wants to win points with volleys, she needs to become a little better when she comes to the net without hitting a monster approach shot.

edificio
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
In the YEC final she seemed to go to the net a lot, so that was good. Mainly, she needs to work on removing the lapses in concentration (as everyone has said) and perhaps vary her serve more.

Linguae^
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
Her consistency!

Stonerpova
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
Fitness is the first thing. A lot of times a player getting into peak physical shape will give them confidence that will spread to other parts of their game (like the mental side).

KBlade
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
I definitely think they need to work on varying her serve a little more. I fear that if she doesn't progress her game sufficiently, she will become predictable, and players will start figuring her out and exploiting her.

cowsonice
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Rallying shots and timing on NA HC's.

duhcity
Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:42 AM
What drives me crazy is that she has a tendency to hit swinging volleys down the center of the court.

shap_half
Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Well, I really think we could improve on her barking. It's a little too German Shepherd for me. We should aim for a full-grown Greyhound.

Nicolás89
Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Serve & volley, serve & volley and serve & volley. :hearts:

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM
Fitness, rallying, grunting during points

Mistress of Evil
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Lose the belly, we don't want to have another baby daddy on the way! :awww:

Pops Maellard
Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
Just reducing the amount of tourneys she can't land a ball in the court ;).

Steven.
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
Volleys. She produces STUNNING drop volleys but sometimes it can be unbelievably horrendous. She can't drive volley that well as it gets predictable - she just smacks it down the center majority of the time. Oh and for every two great volleys is a bad one. She could improve that ratio to be even more dominant on fast courts than she is now.

This would actually improve her game as a whole, and not just volleying. She can cut down the amount of rallies even more. Her serve can become an even bigger weapon than it currently is as she could S&V more on faster courts often to mix things up.

I really don't think they should be working on anything else at the moment as her volley is much closer to perfection (although far from it) than her drop shots and lobs. Also, consistency is something I don't think can be worked on as on court is a completely different environment; there's more pressure to keep the ball in as opposed to during training. It's something the players have to learn to control themselves.

Excelscior
Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Why'd they move this to the subforum?

Aren't there 5 other Petra threads on GM now?

@Steven

Nice post.

I haven't seen her miss too many drive volleys, but I seen her miss more than enough sitters (with similar drive volley techniques), off of the lefty wide slice serve, that she hits on, too close to the line or out of bounds. She does this cause she's rushing.

I know she was playing against the top 8, but she's got to learn to just slap that ball towards the edge of the court ("Hit them where they ain't"), but not necessarily the lines.

Those pesky retrievers are not that fast or smart.

She could also employ fakes and deception, as she does so well on her forehand and backhand sitters, to throw the defender off. But I understand it's a lot harder, when both you and the defender are running towards the court and the net.

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Last winter Kvitova's coach David Kotyza did a great job of improving Petra's fitness, speed and footwork and boy has it paid off this year. So where should the focus be now?

I'll start off by saying that she needs to put away the easy winners consistently. Too many times this year I've seen her throw her opponent out wide with a slice serve and get a weak return that she then belts as hard as she can and has the ball boys diving for cover. If the court is wide open, just roll it in for a winner.

Secondly, she needs top close down the net better when she comes in. She's a good vollier but she often makes them harder than they need to be.

You took the words out of my mouth. I get ulcers watching her matches when she's just tossing away points with her chronically unnecessary UEs. The other thing I would tell her is to give her shots more leeway when playing outdoors. You can paint the lines indoors but you've got to give yourself more clearance when you're playing outdoors. It would make a big difference in the long run. She needs an indoor game and an outdoor game.

Petra is the best!!! Go Czech Fed Cup Team!!! :worship:

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Her taste in men

He appears to be a great guy and makes her happy. Who did she kiss after her victory? Her zajiček. Leave the girl alone, she's in love. I wish everybody the same. :cool:

Excelscior
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
You took the words out of my mouth. I get ulcers watching her matches when she's just tossing away points with her chronically unnecessary UEs. The other thing I would tell her is to give her shots more leeway when playing outdoors. You can paint the lines indoors but you've got to give yourself more clearance when you're playing outdoors. It would make a big difference in the long run. She needs an indoor game and an outdoor game.

Petra is the best!!! Go Czech Fed Cup Team!!! :worship:

Agree with everything you said. But I'll add one more subtlety, I think you'd agree with.

Petra also has to clean up her break points. Too many times in a match, she should win 6-2, 6-1 or 6-0, but she ends up winning 6-3, 6-4, cause she didn't take advantage of the break points, or she goes on a 1-4 game lapse while up.

Now these are two separate (but close) things, sometimes with the same result. Many times, Petra will just not take advantage of individual break opportunities, but still serve well, and win 6-2, instead of 6-0 and so forth. And of course there are other/worse times, when she'll just go on a complete siesta (third set Zvonareva, 1st set Azarenka, etc.), and not break or hold her own serve, but still wake up later, and win the set or match.

She needs to clean that up as well.

Excelscior
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:39 PM
He appears to be a great guy and makes her happy. Who did she kiss after her victory? Her zajiček. Leave the girl alone, she's in love. I wish everybody the same. :cool:

Yuk!!! :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: Lol

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
Yuk!!! :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: Lol

I'll never understand why you knuckleheads are so down on her guy. :confused:

Be happy for the girl. Life on the road is probably lonely and fake as hell. It has to be weird when people just want a piece of you all the time or are just kissing your ass and playing nice to you. It must be nice for her to have someone she can be 'real' with, not 'professional' with. I hope it helps her a lot and keeps her balanced. :)

Excelscior
Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
@Queen Petra Fan

Yeah. I just hope that sucka doesn't get her pregnant! How embarrassing would that be (I'm sure if he did she'd get an abortion; but we don't know her beliefs, situation)?

I know. TMI Lol

Regarding out door courts, and the Australian Open, I have a few hopes/suggestions for Petra below:

1) Keep going to the net off of good serves, floaters and returns.

2) Use more topspin (or the loopy corner shots) to clear the ball over the net and set up position, then use your flat shots for kill shots and change of direction cross court or down the line.

3) Hit the ball 6 inches from the lines (as you said QPF) when you're outdoors, or on windy days; unless it's one of those no wind days, when you don't have to worry.

If Petra can follow those things consistently (and/or react to them on the court), she will be Australian Open Champion this year (or at least a finalist).

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Agree with everything you said. But I'll add one more subtlety, I think you'd agree with.

Petra also has to clean up her break points. Too many times in a match, she should win 6-2, 6-1 or 6-0, but she ends up winning 6-3, 6-4, cause she didn't take advantage of the break points, or she goes on a 1-4 game lapse while up.

Now these are two separate (but close) things, sometimes with the same result. Many times, Petra will just not take advantage of individual break opportunities, but still serve well, and win 6-2, instead of 6-0 and so forth. And of course there are other/worse times, when she'll just go on a complete siesta (third set Zvonareva, 1st set Azarenka, etc.), and not break or hold her own serve, but still wake up later, and win the set or match.

She needs to clean that up as well.

It's a good point but obviously we have to remember her opponents are fighting like hell to prevent those breaks. On those points I wish she would just slow things down a little and really concentrate on serving better. A couple more well timed aces could be back breaking. On the other hand, you guys are so right about the mental siestas. It's alarming how quickly her momentum in a match can dissipate. You get up to grab a sandwich and she's lost five straight points! On the plus side, when she checks back in, she's been pretty devestating! :lol:

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
@Queen Petra Fan

Yeah. I just hope that sucka doesn't get her pregnant! How embarrassing would that be (I'm sure if he did she'd get an abortion; but we don't know her beliefs, situation)?

I know. TMI Lol

Regarding out door courts, and the Australian Open, I have a few hopes/suggestions for Petra below:

1) Keep going to the net off of good serves, floaters and returns.

2) Use more topspin (or the loopy corner shots) to clear the ball over the net and set up position, then use your flat shots for kill shots and change of direction cross court or down the line.

3) Hit the ball 6 inches from the lines (as you said QPF) when you're outdoors, or on windy days; unless it's one of those no wind days, when you don't have to worry.

If Petra can follow those things consistently (and/or react to them on the court), she will be Australian Open Champion this year (or at least a finalist).

Not to alarm you but, actually, in the interview she did with that guy from PNB in Turkey she mentioned her dream is to have kids. :eek:

Let's hope she's saving that idea for after her playing days are over. ;)

mac47
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
I think she's a beautiful young lady. I see nothing wrong with a 4 year age gap, especially if Adam is mature for his age. I hope she doesn't have any abortions, because they bring a lot of mental anguish with them. I wish her a long and happy career full of victories, followed by a beautiful post-career life with as many kids as she wants. And I hope they're all left-handed and that she teaches them tennis. (Seriously, as the daughter of a teacher and a an apparently even-keeled person, she'd probably be an excellent tennis teacher herself.)

Excelscior
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Not to alarm you but, actually, in the interview she did with that guy from PNB in Turkey she mentioned her dream is to have kids. :eek:

Let's hope she's saving that idea for after her playing days are over. ;)

I heard, and thought the same thing you did QPF. :help: :tape: :help:

aloeball
Nov 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
You guys, she's obviously going to ditch him and hookup with Tomas Berdych at the Hopman Cup next year, I mean with Lucie and Adam not being invited and all ...

Aside, she needs to develop her mental game. She seems to rush some of the points too much, over-rotating.

David Kotyza is so cute, I wanna fly to Perth just to see him and get a picture .. well that and see Petra beat the crap outta Woz again.

flyingmachine
Nov 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
and see Petra beat the crap outta Woz again.
I love that part. ;)

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Well, I really think we could improve on her barking. It's a little too German Shepherd for me. We should aim for a full-grown Greyhound.

Good luck working on that. May the 'farce' be with you and your greyhounds. :rolleyes:

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I think she's a beautiful young lady. I see nothing wrong with a 4 year age gap, especially if Adam is mature for his age. I hope she doesn't have any abortions, because they bring a lot of mental anguish with them. I wish her a long and happy career full of victories, followed by a beautiful post-career life with as many kids as she wants. And I hope they're all left-handed and that she teaches them tennis. (Seriously, as the daughter of a teacher and a an apparently even-keeled person, she'd probably be an excellent tennis teacher herself.)

I wouldn't worry too much about her stopping to have kids. In CZ tens of thousands of young ladies are putting off having kids until they are in their thirties. I don't think she'll be any different. At least 10 Grand Slams, then rugrats. I can see that pretty easily. no worries. ;)

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
You guys, she's obviously going to ditch him and hookup with Tomas Berdych at the Hopman Cup next year, I mean with Lucie and Adam not being invited and all ...

Aside, she needs to develop her mental game. She seems to rush some of the points too much, over-rotating.

David Kotyza is so cute, I wanna fly to Perth just to see him and get a picture .. well that and see Petra beat the crap outta Woz again.

Tomas Berdych prefers to romp around with skinny airheaded bimbos. Presently he's hooked up with some model. I don't think Petra would give him the time of day as far as romance is concerned. She's happy with her zajiček. :cool:

Spring Pools
Nov 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Or we could have her bark like a Basenji :)

harddriveone
Mar 1st, 2012, 02:59 PM
I've just watched all of Petra's matches with the new racquet. i'm convinced that it has wrecked her timing somewhat. Watch almost any of her matches, even losing ones from last year, and you'll see the difference. She's fighting the new one. Sabatini wrecked her career just when she was about to ascend to the top (she had beaten Graf seven times in a row) by changing racquets. She was never the same again, her confidence gone. The racquet manufacturers are generally bad news, always pushing hard by touting 'more control, more power' for everything that they hawk. Kotyza had better wake up to this.

vendulkabendulka
Mar 1st, 2012, 03:27 PM
i'm convinced that it has wrecked her timing somewhat.
Bad news. I also noticed much worse timing but I thought it's just a result of not enough hours spent in the training at the end of year. But you might be totally right about the change of racquet. :(

pov
Mar 1st, 2012, 03:32 PM
I've just watched all of Petra's matches with the new racquet. i'm convinced that it has wrecked her timing somewhat. [] The racquet manufacturers are generally bad news, always pushing hard by touting 'more control, more power' for everything that they hawk. Kotyza had better wake up to this.
Maybe part of this break has been to give her more time to get accustomed to the new racquet?

mac47
Mar 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM
I thought we had established that it was a paint job, and not a new racquet really.

bobito
Mar 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
I've just watched all of Petra's matches with the new racquet. i'm convinced that it has wrecked her timing somewhat. Watch almost any of her matches, even losing ones from last year, and you'll see the difference. She's fighting the new one. Sabatini wrecked her career just when she was about to ascend to the top (she had beaten Graf seven times in a row) by changing racquets. She was never the same again, her confidence gone. The racquet manufacturers are generally bad news, always pushing hard by touting 'more control, more power' for everything that they hawk. Kotyza had better wake up to this.

Much as I adore Gabby, this says more about the problems Steffi was having around that time than it does about Sabatini or her racquets.

Excelscior
Mar 1st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Much as I adore Gabby, this says more about the problems Steffi was having around that time than it does about Sabatini or her racquets.

This.

Let's not get carried away with Sabitini's victories over Graf during that period. Steffi was losing to all type of mugs and top 10-20 players she usually had for lunch at the time.

On another note, I also have a wait and see attitude on the alledged "new racket".

The question would be, "is Petra and her team dumb enough to change rackets after such a successful year, and not do a paint over? And if so, did they/are they, giving her enough time to get acclimated to it, or go back the older one?

The bottom line is, if she has a new racket, what are the benefits to Petra? And if they're are none, then the racket manufacturer can't stop her from doing a paint over of the old one.

pov
Mar 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
I thought we had established that it was a paint job, and not a new racquet really.
Apparently you (yes I'm sure there are others as well) think it's a "paint job" and not a new racquet. Which - no matter how you want to sugarcoat it - is tantamount to saying that Kvitova is willing to lie publicly for financial gain. It's also tantamount to saying that Wilson execs are incredibly stupid.

mac47
Mar 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Now I know you're not a Petra fan, Pov. What the hell are you doing in this forum?

As for execs being stupid, everyone knows that many players have used paint job racquets. It's just a marketing strategy, and while I'm sorry it sinks Petra in your estimation, I'd much rather assume that her team knew better than to mess with a winning racquet.

bobito
Mar 1st, 2012, 07:35 PM
Apparently you (yes I'm sure there are others as well) think it's a "paint job" and not a new racquet. Which - no matter how you want to sugarcoat it - is tantamount to saying that Kvitova is willing to lie publicly for financial gain. It's also tantamount to saying that Wilson execs are incredibly stupid.

Roger Federer still uses the exact same type of Wilson racquet that Pete Sampras did over a decade ago but they paint it to look like the latest model.

pov
Mar 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Roger Federer still uses the exact same type of Wilson racquet that Pete Sampras did over a decade ago but they paint it to look like the latest model.
Rubbish! Federer has used his own customized frame for well over a decade.

pov
Mar 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
Now I know you're not a Petra fan, Pov. What the hell are you doing in this forum?

As for execs being stupid, everyone knows that many players have used paint job racquets. It's just a marketing strategy, and while I'm sorry it sinks Petra in your estimation, I'd much rather assume that her team knew better than to mess with a winning racquet.
Y'know the stupid "yernotarealfanov" approach doesn't work too well. Especially from some wanker who just joined TF last year.

And as for "marketing strategy" - saying you're using something that your not is lying. Period. All your rationalizations and euphemisms won't change that. Course it's neither here nor there because I'm fairly confident that both Kvitova and Azarenka are using custom molds that are off-takes of the publicly available Wilson Juice line.

mac47
Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Ah, pulling seniority. Wonderful.

So, why exactly are you rooting for Petra who is, in your view, a liar, since even you don't think she is using the Wilson Steam off the rack?

Utterchaos
Mar 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I would make her to always serve first in matches. A player with her serve should always choose to serve first.

Excelscior
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I would make her to always serve first in matches. A player with her serve should always choose to serve first.

Nice suggestion. And I know what you mean. But I don't think Petra really needs to.

If you look at most of her matches, Petra usually breaks her opponent early, and puts constant pressure on their serve.

Allowing her opponent to serve first, also allows Petra to ease into the match (i.e. get warm), instead of starting off right away, making mistakes off of her serve.

With the exception of the Masha match at the Australian Open, Petra usually starts her matches very well. Win or lose. Usually when Petra loses or has a tough match, it's from the hiccups and siesta's she'll take during/starting from the second set.

Now after saying all that, you are on track discussing Petra's serve.

What I would wish for Petra (expecially at times like this) is, she always be consistent on her serve from the moment the match starts. I know she held serve 77% of the time last year, and to start this year again. But it always seems Petra can do better (many matches she'll have 1-3 silly service games). And she can.

I hope she matures and realizes this year, that her serve should always be a constant, right of the bat. Of course, some of her silly mistakes, and at times over aggressive nature (off the ground), have something to do with that as well. But she needs to be lights out on her serve, from the start, 85% of the time.

And she needs to follow up, many of those good serves, by moving forward/going to the net, to end the points quickly, and prevent herself from making mistakes; especially a time like now, when she's minus match play.

Excelscior
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
PS:

And pardon my manners. WELCOME UtterChaos to Petra's subforum!!!

Utterchaos
Mar 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks

The reason I suggested that she serves first is because her serve is very good and an excellent way to put pressure on her opponent. As far as moving forward goes it will be reasonably difficult as the courts in IW are so slow and don' t favour net rushing. Its too bad because Petra is instinctive player rather than robotic, so winning on these pathetically slow courts will be a challenge.