PDA

View Full Version : Contribution thread for results and rankings

Rollo
Nov 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Hi all-this is the best place to add or correct results and rankings.

Thanks to everyone for their many contributions.:)

chaton
Nov 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
At the homepage of the wta they have season ending rankings of all years since 1975...

Look at http://www.wtatennis.com/page/PressCentre/0,,12781,00.html

The lists are downloadable there as pdf.

Rollo
Nov 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks a lot Chaton!:)

GeeTee
Nov 12th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I detailed this in the 1909 thread, but probably should note it here too:

Miss P.A. Stewart (who won many Australian state championships in the 1900/1910 era is Pearl, not Phillis.

ALSO:

With regard to early Australian colonial or state championships, my research to date shows the surfaces used were:

NSW: Grass from inception
QLD: Grass from 1888
VIC: Asphalt to 1891, grass thereafter
SA: Asphalt to 1895, grass thereafter
WA: Asphalt to 1902, grass thereafter
TAS: Asphalt to mid-1930s, then clay (en tout cas) to 1960s

Some reports are sketchy (and in some cases, different surfaces were used for some events - eg handicaps - at the same championships) so the above dates could yet change.

GeeTee
Dec 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Here are a few Swiss pre-WWI results I found, which I think add to the earlier ones Mark had posted in various year threads.

Apologies if there is information lacking or any typos. My French is abominable - why couldn't the papers have been in German?

To 2 OCT 1907 - Lausanne

FI Chenery d ??

XD Miss Salusbury/GM Simond d Chenery/MacGregor

AUG 1910 - Le Touroi des Avants

XD Chenery/M Chancerel d Miss Harris/M Cazalet 63 61

AUG 1910 - Le Tourni international (Lausanne)

FI Chenery d Mlle C Bardot 64 62

TO 4 SEPT 1910 - Le championnat de Geneve

XD Edgington/Williams d Chenery/Spiess 61 62

CIRCA 25 MAY 1911 - Tournoi Tennis Club de Geneve

FI Chenery d Mlle Gouy 64 62

FROM 7 APRIL 1912 - Championnat du lac Leman

FI Chenery d Mrs Swaine 60 60

XD Chenery/Kleinschroth d Decugis/Decugis 57 63 62

CIRCA 14 OCT 1912 - Le premier tournoi annuel organise par le Savoy-Lawn-Tennis Club

FI Chenery d Miss Turner 64 64

XD Decugis/Decugis d Miss Turner/Hope Crisp 46 64 62

7-14 APRIL 1913 - Championnats du lac Leman - Montreux

SF Mlle C Bardot d Mlle V de Bocarme 60
SF Miss Martin d Miss Walford 60
FI Martin d Bardot 62 62

XD Chenery/H Kleinschroth d Mlle Peter/R Kleinschroth 63 64

14 SEP 1913 - Le tournoi annuel du Caux LTC sur Territet-Montreux

SF Chenery d Mlle Bardot 62 62
SF Mlle J Matthey d Mlle Chancerel walkover

FI Chenery d Matthey 75 86

XD Chenery/Vermont d Miss James/A Resuge 61 62

Rollo
Dec 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks Gee Tee-there were two Miss Chenery's-correct? So we can't with any certainty know which Miss this is-right?

GeeTee
Dec 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
If it's one of the two we know, I think it has to be Annie. Ellen (Nellie) was married on 20 December 1890 in London and Annie continued to play in Australia for another season.

In 1891 Annie was due to be married and travelled to England, but perhaps it never happened for some reason. Nellie was still married in the 1940s and (from memory) residing in the Channel Isles so, unless she chose to compete under her maiden name, I'd punt for Annie.

I couldn't see any initials used in the Swiss newspaper reports so no further evidence at this stage.

chaton
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, first of all I want to thank all the users adding results in the "women's results thread". I'm very interested in history of the open aera so years ago I started for myself the project to get all of the tour results from the open aera. (Means since 1968) This threads here helped me a lot to complete my personal archive.

My question: I have copied some results of the years from 1979 to 1982 from not anymore existing homepage "tenniscorner.net". Also at wtatour.com there were in former times some results more and I 've got them. Must say they are still not complete.

Shall I post them here? Or doesn't it make sense? I have seen some users like ugarte have complete results from tennis magazines so if they work on this years too maybe they can post complete results?

Rollo
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Hello Chaton:wavey:

This would be fantastic!

Do you feel up to trying to do a year? I'm working on 1963 right now for example. If you can format it like I am I would be happy for you to pick a year and run with it. If others have results they can add you or myself could always edit them in.

If you are comfortable with handling it on your own I will be happy to help and tell you how to do it.

If not you can work as Ugarte does and put the results out there and wait for myself or David to add it to exisitng threads.

Think about it and let me know. Until then I would suggest picking one year from 1979-1982 that interests you the most.

Thanks for everything!:)

chaton
Jan 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hello Chaton:wavey:

This would be fantastic!

Do you feel up to trying to do a year? I'm working on 1963 right now for example. If you can format it like I am I would be happy for you to pick a year and run with it. If others have results they can add you or myself could always edit them in.

If you are comfortable with handling it on your own I will be happy to help and tell you how to do it.

If not you can work as Ugarte does and put the results out there and wait for myself or David to add it to exisitng threads.

Think about it and let me know. Until then I would suggest picking one year from 1979-1982 that interests you the most.

Thanks for everything!:)

I have seen you used one posting for one tournament week. Thread 1979 just consists of one posting yet, so I could just add the postings the way you did. For the results already existing in this thread I just copy them in the correct week. Would that be OK? For obviously missing results I can use "???" as you did.

Rollo
Jan 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
I have seen you used one posting for one tournament week. Thread 1979 just consists of one posting yet, so I could just add the postings the way you did. For the results already existing in this thread I just copy them in the correct week. Would that be OK? For obviously missing results I can use "???" as you did.

You've got the idea. :yeah:

My only suggestion at the start is to lay out all the posts you need at one time. You can go in and type 001, 002, 003 ,etc-then go back and edit at your leisure. I usually figure about 60 posts or so-there are 52 weeks, plus extras for the intro summary, slams (which often need two posts) etc.

1979 would be an exciting year IMO-as we have some posters who actually recall seeing it and can relive memories. Others may have result swe don't-and I happen to have the 1980 media guide-so when you're done I can pitch in and add a lot of finals for non-tour or minor events.

I look forward to your creation Chaton!

chaton
Feb 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Just started with 1979. The grand Slam Results I copy from the Grand slam thread including also the commentaries. Be patient, because I have a full job and I'm still a very active tennis player too, so it may take a little time until I finish...:-)

Rollo
Feb 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just started with 1979. The grand Slam Results I copy from the Grand slam thread including also the commentaries. Be patient, because I have a full job and I'm still a very active tennis player too, so it may take a little time until I finish...:-)

It looks great Chaton! And there is no hurry. Take as much time as you want. I can edit my first post too if and when you like.

Thank you:worship:

chaton
Feb 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
It looks great Chaton! And there is no hurry. Take as much time as you want. I can edit my first post too if and when you like.

Thank you:worship:

First of all it's better to leave the first post, cause I still need it to copy the already existing results and all the comments.

Rollo
Feb 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
First of all it's better to leave the first post, cause I still need it to copy the already existing results and all the comments.

OK Chaton.

chaton
Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
So 1979 is already done (faster than I expected by myself). Copied everything from the first post into the right week including all of your comments so the first post is not needed anymore. Maybe you can edit (as a kind of introduction) or remove it. Future Circuit is still missing but I have no results of it.

Will jump next to 1978 (have here also the results like in 1979, don't know why but I thought it was already finished by someone else, but it wasn't. Same for 1983)

Rollo
Feb 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
So 1979 is already done (faster than I expected by myself). Copied everything from the first post into the right week including all of your comments so the first post is not needed anymore. Maybe you can edit (as a kind of introduction) or remove it. Future Circuit is still missing but I have no results of it.

Will jump next to 1978 (have here also the results like in 1979, don't know why but I thought it was already finished by someone else, but it wasn't. Same for 1983)

:worship:

I can slowly but surely add full Futures results. Don't be afraid to "remind" me if I lag behind.

I'm excited to see the additions for 1978.

Thanks Chaton!