PDA

View Full Version : November 2011 Projects update

Rollo
Nov 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
In the past I've put this on a subforum. Right here front and center gets more attention, so for now I'm going to try something different.

This is space for myself and others on the board to share thier short or long term projects. Volunteers are always needed or welcome to pitch in!:)

Current projects for November

01. Continue work on 1972 as a model/template thread. These long term (4 month) results projects are intended to be as complete as possible and exhaust a variety of sources. I am following the path laid out by Ugarte, and am also suplementing this by using John Dolan's book Women's Tennis. In addition I am consulting the New York times in detail, adding Fed Cup and Grand slam results, and will strive to add doubles results. Fianally I intend to add a statistical analysis for at least the Top 10 players in singles.

Projected finish date is end of December. For 2012 I'm thinking of covering 1971, a year in the 1930s, and 1964.

02. Continue the Grand Slam project: (1 per week-4 per month)

The idea here is to provide the best draws possible given our current research.
For November the goal is the Australian Chmpionships for 1923,1924,1925, and 1926.
(Australian Chmps-1922 and 1923 are completed)

03. Cleanup results thread for (one year per month-starting in December)

Projected finish date is the end of each month. These are in essense, years that need to cleaned up considerably. 1959,60,63.64,65,67,68,69,70,78,79,80,81, and 82 all need this.

As Ugarte is working on 1963 I will start there for December.

04. Update yearly results from other contributors weekly (1 per week-4 per month)

1893, 1906, 1920 have been updated this month.

05. Provide each year with it's own results thread and put them in one simple thread that is easy to read.

Done :)

06. Create a separate thread for year-end computer results.

Done :)

07. Update the thread links section

It's in serious need of repair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where I need help:

It would be nice if someone can go behind me and check my links after I create the results thread. And And if anyone wants to help me take on #7 (and be a sort of "links master" after the updatre to kepp it updated) that would be swell.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other projects:

Austinrunner is maintaining the Married Names thread

David K is working on results for 1956

Ugarte is doubtless looking up results for his next massive thread.

I'll end with thanks for everyone who contributes and keeps us busy. In no particular order I wish to thank Mick303 for help with names and editing, AustinRunner for bringing things to my attention and his many contributions with threads on women from the past (take a look at the new thread on Wightman for example). Newmark for all his aide in digging up biographical info on the distant past,and GeeTee, who whom I'd be lost deciphering results Down Under.

I want to especially recognize Jimbo and his contributions this last month. I enjoying having you with us Jimbo-welcome!

Thanks to you all, and everyone else who makes this forum a "Blast" :)

P.S. If you have your own projects don't hesitate to share ideas with us!

Rollo
Nov 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
05. Provide each year with it's own results thread and put them in one simple thread that is easy to read.

I'd like to do this today.

Ok-every year covered (we stopped at 1983) has its own separate thread.

Phew!

Next is putting them in an easy to read format (perhaps by decade) and creating a separate thread for year-end computer rankings since 1975.

Rollo
Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Next is putting them in an easy to read format (perhaps by decade) and creating a separate thread for year-end computer rankings since 1975.

Done and done!

Let me know how it looks. I double checked all the links.

Rollo
Nov 7th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Updated 1893 last week. Will do 1916 for this week. Also need to move on from the 1923 Aussie to 1924.

David K has updated 1906 and 1920

Rollo
Nov 9th, 2011, 12:02 AM
To do list for Wednesday, Nov 9 and Thursday Nov 10

Answer Dobie's question (and info for Chatanooga 1971)
Answer other outstanding PM's (sorry folks-I'm always behind)

Tackle 1916 updates.

Rollo
Nov 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
David has updated 1920.

I added in all the WTA computer results/links from 1975 through 2011. (Note that I have numbers for 1975 that the link doesn't)