PDA

View Full Version : music during changeovers?

Beat
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:43 PM
i only realized now that they play music during changeovers at the championships. i thought it was extremely irritating and must certainly annoy the players, too, no? is this common in the USA (or other countries, for that matter). do other tournaments do this as well?? and: WHAT'S THE POINT????

E. Blackadder
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Kim was singing along with 'Hella Good' from no doubt during a changeover in her match against Henin. So I don't think it bothers her.

I saw capriati complaining a time ago (Us open?) to ask the umpire if this loud music was necessary.

GoDominique
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 PM
They did it before but I can't remember where and when.

Right after Venus retired, they were playing 'It's a beautiful day'. :o :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:00 PM
I seem to recall they did it at the US Open, at least on Ash - I really should know this for sure, but hmmm

I don't pay attention to sound details I guess ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Thats below the belt :o :(

I don't like the music.

Elke
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Kim was also singing 'Living on a prayer' of Bon Jovi.
She likes to play with a lot of noise.:)

baleineau
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:12 PM
i think the music is a bad idea. one of the things i love about wimbledon is the tranquility between points. i'm sure most players don't like to hear rock/pop music whilst they're deep in thought.

they do it to make it seem more exciting, and to try to avoid the feeling of silence, as that suggests an empty/disinterested stadium.

yes, it's more common in America. I think they introduced in one of the US hardcourt tournies in 98/99 and most of the players said they disliked it.

I also hate those big glitzy introductions to the players. it might work with the star names, but when it's:

"Jenniferrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Capriati, wooooooooo" and "Silvia Farina-Elia"......yeah, right!

Tennis is not wrestling. it's more than a spectacle. it's a sport.

King Aaron
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:18 PM
I think it's good. It can help players relax

Aloysius
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Personally, I think the music should only be played before or after a match, if at all. During a match... well, it just isn't tennis. I don't mind how they announce the players. On the ATP, they have spotlights, fanfare and music when they introduce the players. That's okay. Tennis isn't golf. It doesn't have to be completely serene. A little gusto is good, just not during changeovers.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:38 PM
The players are playing a tennis match, not performing brain surgery that they need silence. :rolleyes:

They were playing Janet Jackson's "All for you" during the Hingis-Seles 4th round match at the US Open and "Beautiful Day" by U2 after the Hingis-Seles final at the Chase in 2000.

Music livens things up!!! :D

Nina_rus
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Jen was complaining about the music when they played the song that is the soundtrack to Friends :p

Hawk
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:47 PM
I saw Lisa Raymond getting into the music during a change over in her mixed doubles match at the US Open this year. So I would assume it doesn't bother all the players :) I personally kind of like the idea..but if it bothers most of the players then I guess they should drop it.

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Kim has a good taste in music!! :)

sartrista7
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:48 PM
It depends what the music is.. and with the shit they're pumping out in LA, I'd be VERY annoyed.

JonBcn
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Its really, really horrible. You know that sickening feeling you get when you're embarrassed for someone else; like when your Mum is dancing in front of your friends, or someone is asking someone out who's just not interested in them in front of other people? Well, it makes me feel like that.

They were playing songs it at the Fed Cup last weekend, and every time the music blasted on, for some reason I wanted to crawl into a hole.

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:07 PM
In that same stadium, the Lakers have to manage thier time-outs with loud music blaring and cheerleaders doing thier thing, all the while trying to digest what the coach is telling them they need to do when play resumes. During a tennis shange-over the players are not even trying to have a conversation, yet we are to beleive they can't handle noise?

I am still amazed at the prima-donna attitude of tennis players and many of thier fans. So what, the venue playes music during change-overs - that's what indoor sport venue operators do. Are we to beleive that basketball or Football players are more able to concentrate with chaos going around them that weak-minded tennis players? Appearantly so.

Jericho
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:07 PM
yeah i feel that way too, its just weird and it makes me want to hide in embarrassment for them, kinda like when serena was so focused that she switched ends at 3-0 during the first set tiebreak and against dokic...that was hilarious i was like what are you doing, it was so funny to see her reaction, at least she was able to crack a smile...

ghosts
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:14 PM
I like it ;)

Princess Fiona
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by sartrista7
It depends what the music is.. and with the shit they're pumping out in LA, I'd be VERY annoyed.

Yeah! But maybe some of that dreadful music got them motivated... :fiery: ;)

bobcat
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:27 PM
I think it'd be cool to have some cheerleaders for the players. Or maybe a mascot.

Princess Fiona
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I seem to recall they did it at the US Open, at least on Ash - I really should know this for sure, but hmmm

I don't pay attention to sound details I guess ;)

Ash? :hearts: Oh, NOT Ash the band? ;)

I MUST pay attention here!! :o ;)

Berlin_Calling
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:38 PM
THe played loud music at New Haven..

BK4ever
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:44 PM
The music is just a way to bring some liveliness to the tournaments. Tennis players complain about noise too much. Basketball players shoot free throws with thousands of people screaming. I love the music at changeovers. We had so much fun this year at the open...due in part to the hot tunes blasting :D

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah Clijsters Fan. Kim is soooo cool!

vishniac
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by sartrista7

WHAT? You don't like AC/DC ?!?:cool:

Meesh
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:51 PM
It's an American thing.... They do it in hockey, baseball, football, basketball etc... It only annoyed me when I couldn't hear Mary Jo, Cliff and Pam speaking.

Venus Forever
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Well, I have been to both the US Open and the Sanex Champs in MSG, and they BOTH played music during the change over.

I don't think it is that bothersome to the players. Some of the players listen to their own music on the change overs with their walkmans.

Princess Fiona
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Is this also standard on the men's tour? I have a vague memory of the male players requesting songs during changeovers (perhaps this was only an experiment for this particular tournament) and Michael Stich requesting an Aerosmith song...

REALLY not like my memory to serve me so well :rolleyes: ;)

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't made a difference if they'd had music when I was playing. My hair would block my ears.

Berlin_Calling
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
Wouldn't made a difference if they'd had music when I was playing. My hair would block my ears.

LMFAO! :D

JonBcn
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Franziska - yeah, but it was so 1994. Remember the Jensen brothers and their attempt to <cough> 'rock'n'roll-up' tennis. This was two years AFTER Wayne's World, and they still had mullets.

And its a known fact that sports people have dreadful taste in music (they cant dance either). I remember reading an ATP media guide years ago, and it seemed like everyone's favourite singer was Phil collins.

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:23 PM
....I was just about to say my favorite singer is Phil Collins.... :p

Xavier_Malisse
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:26 PM
What's wrong with Phil Collins?

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Nothing. As you know it's excellent make-out music

Xavier_Malisse
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Is it? Jen always preferred something a bit 'heavier'. And we didn't make out much, I was always too tired.

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:31 PM
You are George Lazenby, and I claim my free giraffe's bus pass

Gallofa
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Hawk
I saw Lisa Raymond getting into the music during a change over in her mixed doubles match at the US Open this year. So I would assume it doesn't bother all the players :) I personally kind of like the idea..but if it bothers most of the players then I guess they should drop it.

I really can't imagine Lisa Raymond getting into the music :D!!

And yeah, Jennifer complained when they put the music from "Friends", I thought that was a nice touch :D lol

I don't really mind the music, but I guess they should ask the players, if the majority mind then scrap it.

CliffRichard
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:34 PM
They should play my music at changeovers. Better still, I could sing live. And then give a prayer.

Gallofa
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Congratulatioooooooons!

Not again, Cliff!!! once is MORE than enough in a lifetime!!!! :( ;)

Have mercy!! :p

CliffRichard
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Naah Bea, you love me really. I hear they're going to play my music 24hrs non-stop especially for the people on court 13 next yr at wimby :p

Nov 11th, 2002, 10:49 PM
It seems to just be an American thing. In Australia the only music you can hear between points is the guy from the FANatics with his trumpet

rioak1
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:58 PM
music is great,all they need to do is play enrique for anna throughout the whole tournament and she'll win her first title.

Tratree
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:45 AM
I thought it was fun and added more excitement during the changeovers besides watching the line judges change and the ball kids move the balls from one end of the court to the other. None of the players seemed to mind. They're in their own little worlds when they get to the chair anyways.

Candy946
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:45 PM
It's just music during the changeovers, and it livens things up.

Princess Fiona
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by JonBcn
Franziska - yeah, but it was so 1994. Remember the Jensen brothers and their attempt to <cough> 'rock'n'roll-up' tennis. This was two years AFTER Wayne's World, and they still had mullets.

And its a known fact that sports people have dreadful taste in music (they cant dance either). I remember reading an ATP media guide years ago, and it seemed like everyone's favourite singer was Phil collins.

Oh I remember the Jensen brothers, yes... :)

I think I should shut up about Mr Collins... *cough* :o ;)