PDA

View Full Version : Adoption right for unmarried and gay couples?

Cassius
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:54 AM
In Britain there's been a debate raging, about whether unmarried and gay couples should be able to adopt.
Now, I think everyone agrees that unmarried should be able to adopt, but alot of people I know aren't to sure about letting gay and lesbian couples adopt.
I'm not to sure what happening/happened about this result in Britain at the moment, but I was just wondering about your views.

Should gay and lesbian couples be allowed to adopt a child?
I think YES.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Well is it even legal for gays to marry in Britain?

Regardless, IMO - sexual preference does not determine your parenting abilities. Furthermore, "gay", is not some contagious desease that you can pass on to others. Both of these seem to be popular misconceptions :rolleyes:

So of course they should be able to adopt, as long as they fulfil the same requirements as any hetero couple does.

Scotso
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:36 AM
absolutely yes

Richie77
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Of course they should!
There are many gay couples who would make much better parents than some straight couples.

Rene
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
not sure, is a too complex issue, i would need to read and to think more about it

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Yes. :)

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Yes. :)

(I'd say the same about an individual homosexual OR heterosexual, or about a group of more than two people of whatever sexuality who wanted to get together and adopt a child. If they could show they were responsible people, I don't care about their sex, sexuality, whether they happen to be in a sexual relationship with each other, or how many of them there are, within some reasonable limit. So it's a separate issue from "gay marriage" in my mind, not that I'd be opposed to some version of the latter being available.)

Kuilli
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Of course they should!

Richie77
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Good point, Jou.

As for marriage, I think there should be gay marriages.
I don't understand people who think that homosexual marriages would "destroy the sanctity of marriage." In my opinion, heterosexual people have done a good job of doing that :p

Sam L
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:58 AM
No I don't think they should because this would create a black market in adopting babies from 3rd world countries and selling babies etc... It already exists but it would encourage it more.

Monica@53
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:08 AM
i don't understand people who think that either... I mean, I always thought that the sanctity of marriage was a commitment or a bond between two people - any people - who love each other, so I find it almost hypocritical that societies that proclaim to be socially progressive are in fact discriminating against same-sex couples.

And getting back to adoption, once again, I always thought the purpose of adoption was to provide a loving home and a loving family for a child in need - perhaps i'm being a touch idealistic and/or simplistic in my approach but in essence, and this has probably been said by most of you already, same-sex couples are simply being discriminated against despite the fact that many do in fact go above and beyond fulfilling the criteria to be considered as adoptive parents.

Then again, I understand that there are complexities surrounding socially progressive proposals before they can be passed as legislation..... I would assume that with the significant number of conservatives in western parliaments, they provide enough opposition to prevent such bills from becoming legislation.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:51 AM
No I don't think they should because this would create a black market in adopting babies from 3rd world countries and selling babies etc... It already exists but it would encourage it more.

How would this encourage the black market anymore than it already is? Why would you assume that the percentage of same sex couples permitted to adopt would automatically go this route - any more than hetero couples?

I can't make any sense of this.

per4ever
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:04 AM
I wonder if people still see marriage as a commitment..

so I might be tempted to say no to adoption for unmarried couples.. I'll try to make myself clear. Kids need a stable environment to grow up happily, either this is in a family with hetero parents or gay parents, I don't think it matters that much. Although may be the ideal situation for a child to grow up is having a dad and a mum.
But having kids is a huge responsibility..and people often don't think about that.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Yes they should

but you got to take into account the childs feelings
he/she goes to school and he has two dads/mothers and everyone at school takes the piss out of him/her

What will that do to the child ???

You know what children are like and they make fun of the most trivial of stuff and this is NOT Trivial.
it will have long lasting effects on the child if ever it was found out he didn't have a mother or father.

per4ever
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:17 AM
I'm afraid TBE has a good point there... I'm sure gay couples can be great parents. But it will have it's effect on the kids..bullying at school etc :(

DeniseM
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Often it is their own children that gay and lesbian couples want to adopt.

That is, one partner in the couple wants to adopt the biological children of the other partner. Adoption means the partner will be able to do important things like authorize needed medical treatment, will have legal and financial obligations to the child, and in the event of the natural parent's death the child will definitely be able to stay in its home with the adoptive parent.

It is as much, if not more, for the sake of the children than for the sake of the adults.

For example, my girlfriend has three daughters. There could come a point where, for their sake, all of us might want me to adopt them.

Oh, I understand and share to some extent the concern about the way children will be treated by other children. My girlfriend, though, has always been openly lesbian. I'm glad to be able to say that her daughters seem to be quite ok.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Yes they should

but you got to take into account the childs feelings
he/she goes to school and he has two dads/mothers and everyone at school takes the piss out of him/her

What will that do to the child ???

You know what children are like and they make fun of the most trivial of stuff and this is NOT Trivial.
it will have long lasting effects on the child if ever it was found out he didn't have a mother or father.

When I took a family studies course in highschool, we did a small unit on same sex couples. This featured a video on a few select families where same sex couples were raising kids.

Of course, the video only showed a few examples, and only showed a very very small window of their lives - but all of them seemed well adjusted and such. Did well in school, had freinds, were like any other kid.

That, and quite frankly, if child can endure being called names like "fat" and "ugly" for their entire childhood (as some must) - I'm sure they can withstand the heat that a few ignorant childrend might give them.

Lola
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Yes, they definitely should!!!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Absolutely and unequivocally yes

Fieke
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:10 PM
As long as the child is brought up in a family that loves it, why not?

sartrista7
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Yes, it's not a hard question at all (and to be honest, it's not as if gay couples could really fuck up the child-rearing process more than some straight couples). That said, I'm bemused by gay people who want to adopt children. Surely one of the perks about being gay is that you don't have to put up with the whiny brats? (That was only partly tongue-in-cheek ;) )

Re: playground teasing. If it's allowed to happen, it will become more of a norm, and therefore less liable to be a cause for victimisation. And if you want to really change attitudes towards gay people, it's not a viable argument.