PDA

View Full Version : Spill your thoughts on the Serena-Capriati match

frenchvee
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:00 AM
For those who saw the match, can they spill theirs thoughts on the match.
I remember seeing a thread like this for the venus and monica match in the tournament section for this championship and i truly liked it. Even tough i didn't see that match, it gave me a good overview of it.

Like the general observation, what can we learn from that match, for the future, etc.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:07 AM
First impression, a thriller, as usual between the two, HIGH DRAMA all the way.

Regarding their play

-WAAAAY too many Errors from Serena, had she made less errors, (she made over 50) she would've had an easier win

-Good serving from Serena to fight off break points, and good pressure points, hitting the lines to save herself...

-Some good netplay, but some wierd shot selection at times from Rena, when she hit her groundies with authority she was always on the offensive, but when she wasnt driving the ball, Capriati took advantage.

-Jenifer: good fight all the way

-Serve didnt let her down as much as other times, but she still had trouble with it.

-Good returns by jennifer

-Usually on the defensive, great gets, but she ran harder than Serena cuz she was on the defensive more.

Overall it was great entertainment, Rena almost gave me a heart attack for a few moments, it shows that she really must cut down on her UfE's for tomorrow, Jenifer showed she knows how to hang with Serena, despite Serena awarding her more than 50 free points, she played well.

Good luck tomorrow Serena :)
End it with a bang:bounce:

catkey94
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:13 AM
I think it has been said already, but I aome of those UFE were indeed forced. Jennifer was doing a great job of running down those balls, and forcing Serena to go for the winners. I am a Williams fan, but I was really impressed with Jennifer's play today.

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:01 AM
one of the best matches this year. Serena showed why she's number one by playing the big points when it matters. I must say that this is Jen's great performance in a long while.

Pureracket
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:25 AM
This was an entertaining match. Both of these women wanted to win, and it's a shame that one had to lose. My observations are:

1. JenCap came to this match with a quiet and intense determination. She planned to win this match.

2. JenCap's running forehand crosscourt rivals the sisters' in its lethality.

3. JenCap's serve was better, but the top ladies are still going to feast on it.

4. Serena's serve is incredible!!!!!

5. Serena seems to focus on being calm so much so until she seems lethargic (a la Venus).

5. Regardless of what the score is, when Serena is mentally focused, no one is going to beat her.

joz
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:03 AM
it was a great match, and i too have a new respect for Jennifer. The difference today was "points won at the net"... So many times I watched Jen come in on a shot only to back up right after it bounced. She lost nearly all of those points. I couldn't tell if she jus tdidn't think she should be at the net or if she just didn't think her approach was good enough? Whatever it was... it was problematic, because when she backed up it hurt her foot work and shot quality. Hopefully she'll learn from the videotape... The stunning thing... is that I thought Jen should have won the match. I'm suprised she didn't, cause she seemed to dictate more, but that happens sometimes. :-)

Sharapower
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Great show, great thriller but the quality of tennis is still questionnable.
There's really way too many errors in the today's ladies game...
Anyway, congrats Serena, you're the best.

persond
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:00 AM
:D The high risk, go for it all, hit it hard power tennis of todays top players will always result in a high unforced error count. But, you also have an equally high winner count as well. It's the nature of the game. These ladies go for their shots, and of course there's less margin for error.:D :D Although Serena had more than 50 UFerrors, she also had by far more than 40 winners. Capriati had fewer errors and she also had fewer winners.:D :D

Again the high number of unforced errors is "NATURE OF THE BEAST". Pure and simple.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Having said that, the Sisters do really try keeping their errors under control, but, again, their game is more high-risk.:kiss: :kiss:

vs1
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:22 AM
I was there live and the arena was electrified! It was very emotional and at the end, Serena won. However, both players gave it their all and it was fun and thrilling. Congrats to both. Serena showed why is the the best. Jenn showed that the Fall Indoor season was just a slump (which every player goes through now and then) and that her will and feistiness are still in tact. Congrats to both champions!

kiwifan
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:44 AM
I was there too, yelling at the top of my lungs!!!

I was sitting right next to the interview table so I could almost touch MJF's Cro-Magnon (sp) forehead from where I was sitting.

JCap served better than I think I've ever seen. Her return of serve was pretty scary too.

Serena played poorly but did enough to win.

The crowd was great today cheering both players.

Did they show (on TV) Jennifer hitting the net with her racket in frustration after finally winning one of the "let" points the Williams sisters have been feasting on all week? It was pretty funny but JCap wasn't laughing at the time.

A very tense match.

Finally Met Billie Jean King after the match was over.

Monica S. was about 30 feet away watching the match (Kim C. was also out for the 3rd set). Monica got a huge cheer when they showed her on the big screen.

Richard Williams was the biggest celeb present judging crowd reaction.

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by kiwifan
Did they show (on TV) Jennifer hitting the net with her racket in frustration after finally winning one of the "let" points the Williams sisters have been feasting on all week? It was pretty funny but JCap wasn't laughing at the time.

it was replayed two time I guess.;) all you've stated was caught by the camera.:)

geoepee
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by kiwifan
I was sitting right next to the interview table so I could almost touch MJF's Cro-Magnon (sp) forehead from where I was sitting.

LOL, I almost spit out my soda after reading that :)

Dawn Marie
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:59 AM
I think it was scary seeing Serena not playing 100% I say about 80% and still winning while it appeared Jen played at 100% infact the best that she could probably do.

Serena looks like she is going to dominate for a few years.

Congrats Serena Williams:)

junkartist
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by geoepee

LOL, I almost spit out my soda after reading that :)

I almost choked on mine!!! lmao

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by junkartist

I almost choked on mine!!! lmao

LMAO I thought jokes are the best medicine.:p

Lola
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
everything has been said, but just one word: THE NET!:fiery:

GoDominique
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Jen probably played the best indoor-match of her career, although her technical flaws were still more than obvious.
Biggest problem is her serve. As far as I remember, Jen didn't have one single easy service game in sets 2 and 3. She has to work on that.
The reason why she lost was IMO too many missed break-points. 3 games were crucial: the first game in the 2nd, the 9th game at 4-4, and the 5th game in the 3rd at 1-3. The last one, for example, she missed with a bad return on a weak second serve from Serena. You can't afford that, especially when your own serve is so bad.
Luck also wasn't on Jen's side, but she should have done better in reacting to those net-cords. Too bad she missed that drop-volley at 30-30 in the last game.

Serena played OK in the end. Her serve was working well at the end, that was the difference. Volleys were sometimes very bad, also her returns.
Still, I never really had doubts that Serena might not win. Mentally, these 2 players really have changed positions, 'cause last year Serena was the 'choker', now she's extremely tough mentally. This is the difference which decides winning or losing.

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Serena used a LOT of topspin.

Jenn did a good job of getting shots near Serena's body to neutralize her power a bit.

Serena hit at least five drop shots form the baseline that landed within two feet of the net on the other side. She has great ball control given time. But some of her volleys were atrocious.

Competency at net would have won Jenn this match, but she's a born-and-bred-to-the-bone baseliner.

servenrichie
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
I was still shocked that Capriati didnt win that match. She was focused and the intensity of the whole match was breathtaking.
to summarize it: she played her heart out and still lost. She would probably need a long time to recover.

Weevee
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Unforced errors are more often forced than not. When you are playing are great player you can play safe and lose safe -- and fast!
Safe tennis is boring.

RAA
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:15 PM
I thought it was a GREAT match, very entertaining. The thing that stood out for me was the sheer athleticism on both sides. Both Jen and SErena are just fantastic athletes, running down ball after ball.
I thought that Jen actually served better than she has in a while. She didn't rush nearly as much. she stayed pretty focussed and fairly positive (for her). Serena's game was definitely off, but you have to give Jen cap a lot of credit for that.
It was a great match - very entertaining. I thought both of them really put out 100% effort.
congrats to both players.
now lets hope that Serena has enough left ni her to beat Kim tonight!

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Capriati will probably need a therapist to help her get over losing this match. she should have won it. some of their exchanges were breathless. i really enjoyed this match. and yes the net needs to be tightened -- after Serena wins the final of course...:p ;)