PDA

View Full Version : Which tennis match made you more than just a "casual fan?"

MarcusRock
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Today's Serena-Capriati match is the kind of stuff that converts your casual tennis fan into a die-hard follower of the tour. Which match made YOU into a die-hard follower of the tour? And if you were never a so-called "casual fan," which match convinced you that following the tour was a good decision to make on your part?

Mine was Venus' 2000 US Open semifinal against Hingis. That comeback by Venus made me vow to get out to the US Open every year after that so I could be there when great tennis like that was played again. Venus-Rubin and Venus-Mauresmo didn't disappoint me this year.

Nov 11th, 2002, 02:32 AM
I've been a die-hard follower since my mum took me to the Australian Open when I was a kid. I was so excited about seeing Steffi Graf play

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:21 AM
This is a beautiful question! Probably Jelena Dokic vs. Martina Hingis, Wimbledon 1999

achamber
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:30 AM
I would have to say the AO final last year. I watched the slams before that but certainly wasn't a die hard tennis fan... it all changed after that match.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
When i saw Gaby in 1985 at RG :drool:

M2k
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:48 AM
When I handed my first bagel!!!! hehe... ;) hey, you said any match....:o

BigB0882
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:16 AM
I can't remember specifically, but I know it was sometime when Monica Seles was making her comeback, I think it was during her first U.S. Open after the attack. I was enthralled by the story and so impressed with her play!

irma
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:43 AM
no match, I only knew steffi and I liked her and then suddenly one day I was a fan!

vs1
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Hmmm...I can't remember the exact match, but it was around 1990/1991 when I was just captivated by Monica Seles. She brought so much excitement and joy to tennis and I loved watching her. And then I kind of became casual again during her layoff due to the stabbing, and then Monica came back and I got more and more into it, and then in 1999 I started following Venus seriously and she and Serena brought me back to women's tennis as an avid fan and follower. She I need to give credit to my three girls: Monica, Venus and Serena!

tinkerbell
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:57 PM
the first match. i remember it like it was only yesterday. it was the 1992 FO final. Steff (my hero) v. Monica. it was a great match and although Steffi lost i knew she was the one to watch & she never let me down (well may be the 94 Wimbledon first round!)

Robbie.
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Amanda Coetzer versus Steffi Graf, AO 1997

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Well my answer will show hold much older I am than you school age children (LOL)

it was Tracy Austins win over Navratilova in the 1981 US Open final. I was a fan ever since. But a fanatic once i saw Graf....i never looked back after that.

Joseosu19
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:04 PM
1989 Roland Garros finals, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario defeats Steffi Graf

Devon
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:09 PM
I knew nothing about tennis until one day I'm flipping channels and saw Venus/Lindsay US Open final. I didn't know anything about tennis, but I enjoyed the hard hitting between two women. My roommate told me all about this Williams sisters buzz. Next thing I know it's July 2001, I'm flipping channels again on a Saturday morning, and it's the Winbledon final between Venus/Henin, and I was like... oh, there she is again. After that I waited for the US Open 01, and I followed Venus' matches all the way to the finals where she beat Serena. Afther the US Open I became a total tennis freak, learned about the game, followed every tournament on T.V, become a die-hard Venus fan, I've travelled a couple of times to see her, and most importantly I've learned to play tennis myself. SHE DID IT TO ME.

My favourite match: Venus/Hingis US Open 2000 (I got the tape).

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:43 PM
US Open 1968 finals Arthur Ashe d. Tom Okker 14-12 5-7 6-3 3-6 6-3

Battle of the Sexes II BJK vs Bobby Riggs really cemented women's tennis for me. I was a BJK fan before that, but not a fan of women's tennis. In those days, the gasme wasn't on TV much, and after King, Court and Goolagong, there weren't many women I liked watching play. "Hit-and-giggle" tennis was what it was called, and it deserved the name.

Hurley
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Olympics final 1992: Capriati d. Graf :eek:

I was in absolute love with young Jenn until she started being scary. ;)

Fieke
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:54 PM
It was only very recently and I think a lot of Belgians were hit by 'tennis fever' then:
Clijsters def. Henin, Roland Garros SF 2001

Wimanna
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Van Roost def. Sanchez V, Australian Open 1997!!!!

ghosts
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:12 PM
this year:

Jenny def. Martina
Monica def. Venus
Serena def. Jenny
Maggie def. Venus
Maggie def. Lindsay
Daniela def. Elena D

All these were played in 3 sets !

Venus Forever
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Venus def. Hingis 2000 Wimbledon!!

schris
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Indian Wells final 1999 Serena def Steffi

wongqks
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:32 PM
I use to watch Jana Novotna a lot, and the first match i watch was a Wimbledon match Date v Jana in 1995 I think

but the one which really got me going was during 1997 Wimbledon a few matches

Testud def Monica :sad:
Kournikova def Huber
Hingis def Kournikova
Jana def Basuki
Jana def arantxa
Hingis def Jana

I guess I hooked on tennis during the Wimbledon 1997 very very dramatically.

But I guess the one which really really cement me as a tennis fan and the one which will forever stick out in my mind is Arantxa def Monica FO 1998 although I wasn't a fan of Monica then I still have vivid memory of that match

niratti
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:34 PM
it's not the first one but surely a best one, the French Open 99 Steffi def. Hingis

And all of Lindsay matches made me a die-hard fan!! :)

Berlin_Calling
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Hilton Head 2000
Mary Pierce def. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 6-0 6-1

I know I know bad match but I was intrigued by Mary even at a young age. I became an Anna fan the first time i saw her play, WImby 2000, when she beat Sandrine in three tough sets. I first saw Justine when she played ANna at the Us Open 2000 and actually beat Anna. I liked her game but I was kinda mad because she had beaten Anna in the third round lol. I became a real Justine fan in Berlin 2001, when she sprained her ankle in the third set when playing jennifer cap. :)

lemon
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Ao 2000 Venus vs. Daniela

Colin B
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:47 PM
UUH-OH!! Showing my age here:

Bjorn Borg vs. Jimmy Connors in a quarter-final at Wimbledon 197? (so long ago I can't remember the year!)

Borg won, became my hero and I've been hooked on Tennis ever since.