PDA

View Full Version : BFTP Trivia Game

GeeTee
Oct 25th, 2011, 03:48 AM
OK, there is a fair bit of knowledge in this forum about tennis history and I thought a bit of a trivia game might be interesting.. :cool:

I suggest that someone poses a tennis question and the first person to answer correctly gets to ask the next one.

If a question seems too difficult, perhaps a clue could be given each day that the question goes unanswered.

Anyway, let's see what happens:

Q1: What significant accomplishment did Marjorie Van Ryn (USA) become the first woman player to achieve?

GeeTee
Oct 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM
a bit more significant than that! ;)

GeeTee
Oct 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Nope sorry. None of the above. Nothing to do with age or US titles.

Rollo
Oct 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Is the mod allowed to play or should he give a hint?

P.S. While waiting for GeeTee to reply I'll hint. Remember he is an Aussie!

newmark401
Oct 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Was she the first foreign female to take part in the Australian Championships?

GeeTee
Oct 26th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Was she the first foreign female to take part in the Australian Championships?
She certainly was (at least the first American) but that's not actually the answer.

And yes - the mod can play..

GeeTee
Oct 26th, 2011, 10:12 AM
OK - I said another clue per day, if no-one answers correctly, so here we go...

Q1: What significant accomplishment did Marjorie Van Ryn (USA) become the first woman player to achieve?

Clue: Nowadays, all the players do it. Back then very few did it.

Rollo
Oct 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Aha-would she have been the first female to contest all four grand slam events in the same year?

GeeTee
Oct 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Rollo is nearly correct but I think I'll give it to him! :yippee:

Van Ryn was the first woman to play in ALL of the four Grand Slam events. She didn't manage it in the same year though (I think she only played the French in 1931).

If I've counted right, only ten women managed this achievement in their careers prior to 1950.

1933 Marjorie Van Ryn USA

1935 Nancy Lyle GBR
1935 Evelyn Dearman GBR

1938 Dodo Bundy USA
1938 Do Workman USA
1938 Nell Hopman AUS
1938 Nancye Wynne AUS
1938 Dot Stevenson AUS
1938 Thelma Coyne AUS*

1949 Doris Hart USA

The first women to compete in all Grand Slams in the SAME year were the Australian trio of Nancye Wynne, Nell Hopman and Dot Stevenson in 1938. Thelma Coyne would have joined them, but she had to default in singles and doubles at the French because of illness.

* I included Thelma in the above list as most records show her as an entrant in the 38 French. Technically, she didn't really play in all four slams until 1951 where she made the QF at Roland Garros.

Rollo
Oct 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I can say I've learned something new about tennis today GeeTee!

And will see if I can come up with a trivia question soon....

Rollo
Oct 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Ok-here goes-A trifecta of questions......

What international player saved up money to go on tour by working as bank teller? She saved her money rather than robbed the bank, but tennis turned out to be a good investment, as her career winings exceeded 1 million $.

Which famous player worked for a time as a masseuse?

And as we are near Halloween-Can you name the player who married a famous horror writer?

austinrunner
Oct 29th, 2011, 12:10 AM
The masseuse question is too easy: Molla Bjurstedt Mallory. Her occupation is why she emmigrated to Canada and then the USA, where she entered tennis tournaments on a lark and quickly realized that she was among the best in the world (if not THE best).

GeeTee
Oct 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I think a) is Wendy Turnbull

tim1963
Oct 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Ok-here goes-A trifecta of questions......

And as we are near Halloween-Can you name the player who married a famous horror writer?

Would that be Linda Tuero who married The Exorcist author William Peter Blatty ?

Rollo
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:43 PM
You are all correct! Well done.:)

I guess any of you should feel free to pose our next trivia question.

Uranium
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Can I go?

Who is the only player in the Open Era to lose in every round of a specific major before they went on to win that same major later in their career? And what major?

For example:
At the US Open: Player Whoever lost 3rd round 2002, 4th round 2003, 2nd round 2004, 1st round 2005, SF 2006, F 2007, QF 2008 and then Win 2009.

GeeTee
Oct 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
^ It has to be Jana Novotna doesn't it?

Uranium
Oct 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Yes.:lol:

austinrunner
Oct 29th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I played my first adult singles tournament when I was 12 years old. My mother was the top seed in that tournament, but we were in opposite halves of the draw. Mom lost in the quarterfinals to another youngster who eventually won a couple Grand Slam singles titles. I won my first round match but got double bagled in the second round by the eighth seed. Mom apparently did not think I was good enough to be her doubles partner as she teamed with someone else. If she had picked me, we CLEARLY would have done better than a quarterfinal loss. Who am I and which tournament am I talking about?

GeeTee
Oct 30th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I guess it's May and Dodo Bundy at Maidstone in 1928.

newmark401
Nov 14th, 2011, 07:26 PM
A three-parter:

1a. Who is the only player to defeat both Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills in a singles match?
--

1b. Who is the only player to defeat Suzanne Lenglen twice in a completed singles match?
--

1c. How many players beat Helen Wills (Moody) at least three times in a singles match throughout Helen's career?
-----

GeeTee
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hmmmm..... The part one answer is fairly easy, but I'd have to google (cheat lol) to be confident of getting the other two right.

alfajeffster
Nov 14th, 2011, 09:53 PM
A three-parter:

1a. Who is the only player to defeat both Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills in a singles match?
--

1b. Who is the only player to defeat Suzanne Lenglen twice in a completed singles match?
--

1c. How many players beat Helen Wills (Moody) at least three times in a singles match throughout Helen's career?
-----

I'd say Molla Bjurstedt Mallory as an uneducated guess.

newmark401
Nov 15th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Actually, the first question should read:

1a. Who are the only two players to defeat both Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills in a singles match?
--

--

1c. How many players beat Helen Wills (Moody) at least three times in a single match throughout Helen's career?
-----