PDA

View Full Version : Props to Jenni C

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Gotta give Jenn credit. She fought all day, didn't give an inch, and came up with a LOT of amazing shots. She RAN too. Serena got her on a string repeatedly, but Jenn never quit and won half those points too. Off the ground, Jenn was the better player today. Not by much, but distinctly so. But Serena's serve bailed her out. It wasn't sheer velocity. The radar gun caught aces from 106 to 121. But she can hit the ball wherever she wants with the same service motion. All you can do is guess.

Jenn returned well, but so did Serena, and Jenn can't serve as well as Serena, so that part of the match went Serena's way. But anyone who watched this match knows why Jenn is still #3, and will likely be top five even if she DOESN'T defend OZ. She's the player you'd want on your side in a street fight.

She played a hell of a match today.

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:18 AM
True!

That was a good "catfight"

auntie janie
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:32 AM
It was a sensational match! And I have newfound respect for Jennifer! She fought her heart and guts out. She played fantastically! She did not argue about a single line call. And she exchanged a smile with Serena at the end, like two TOP combatants who know they have put on a stupendous show for the audience!

Thanks, ladies! We appreciate your magnificent effort tonight! Best of luck to bothof you in 2003; may we have more of these, please! :D:kiss: :kiss:

TSequoia01
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:33 AM
I guess Jen vs Serena is about styles. They have the attributes that will consistently give you a hard fought match. I know few matchups that consistently gives three sets of awe inspiring tennis. :cool:

Simplify
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Doesn't Jen ALWAYS fight when she plays Serena? Was today's match any different than their other battles this year?

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Simplify
Doesn't Jen ALWAYS fight when she plays Serena? Was today's match any different than their other battles this year?

It's called INTENSITY!

When a player shows up and plays with INTENSITY with a determination to knock off a Williams -

That's a Good Match.

Althea
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Jennifer definitely deserves props after that match with Serena.
Wow Jenn ... gotta respect her game!

:bounce: Jennifer and Serena :bounce:

LOL at Brought It! "That was a good "catfight"

Indeed it was!:D

SM
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:57 AM
it was typical jennifer. all her matches with serena have been close and shes always been very competitive with her. but kudos to jen for showing people she can play indoors ;)

Justin
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Nice words, Volcana. I agree. Both ladies played well and, I hope that at this point, both know that the matches between them will be intense battles. I wish Jen played with a tad more power but all credit to Serena who came up with tremendous return games to close out the 2d and 3d sets, when she needed it most.

Congrats to Serena on the victory. And congrats to Jen for playing her best match since the US Open.

Simplify
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Brought It!, again I ask . . . ???

magassi
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Serena said it best about her matches against Jenn: "we bring out the best in each other..."

KingA
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Well Done!! Jennifer!! Hope a victory over Serena will come in 2003!! :)

BigTennisFan
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Not to mention that Jenn did one of the best imitations of a backstop today that I've seen in a long time.
Some of her gets were just amazing.:)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:37 AM
THankyou Canada for NOT showing me this match :fiery:

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:25 AM
It's good to see this performance from JenCap. She should maintain this level and get rid of her bitch attitude on court. It's about time she acts maturely on court; she's one of the oldest after all.:)

Dawn Marie
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:30 AM
This match was nothing new. It's is obvious that Jennifer really wants to beat Serena again. Jen was so fast and so quick and seemed stronger then her usual self.:) Boy Serena brings it out in Jennifer.

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:36 AM
I agree. Serena brings out the best in JenCap but certainly her best seems not to be good enough at this time.;)

Jen played like 110% while Serena because of lack of enough matches showed a little of rustiness (maybe 90% of her potential).;) I hope Serena would be more serious about her preparation for the Oz Open.:angel:

gerhard
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:23 AM
Thanks for a great match JenCap!

junkartist
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:59 AM
yes, indeed...kudos & props to Jennifer...I really enjoyed the match today....she did have some amazing return and the serve has improved...she's in great condition! I really envy that!!!

BasicTennis
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
I disagree that her serve has improved; this caused her downfall.

Raisin
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:22 AM
I just love their match ups. They just bring out the best in each other. Watch out for Jenn Jenn at OZ:eek:

Doris Loeffel
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:51 AM
To be honest after her match against Maggi I wouldn't have given one dime that Jenny would have a chance against Serena.

But boy was I wrong. Jenny really was a fighter out there. Making some incredible shots and digging out some ball which normally were winners. To bad she wasn't able to hold on to that break. (Mainly becouse her weak serve and some really stupid errors) At the end Serena just had the better end for her.

Anyways concrats Jenny. Nerver thought you might have a chance but you actually should have won.

Halardfan
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Jennifer turned in a superb display, coming up only a point here and there (and maybe a tiny bit of luck) away from a remarkable win, against the current best player on the planet.

What it did do once and for all was show the people who had written Jen off as a world class performer, don't know what they are talking about. But maybe we knew that already. :)

Lola
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:52 AM
nice post, volcana! that's jen and her incredible fighting spirit.
too bad the net did not help her at all!:)

chris_hall
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:09 PM
That match was basically a point here or there, if Capriati in the 2nd set had of taken those break points in Serena first 2 service games, Jenn could of won the 2nd set 6-2. It would of been break Jen, break serena, break jenn, hold jenn, hold Serena, hold jen, break jenn, hold jenn. There were break points in basically every game. But those points decided the match and it was a different outcome. It was awesome in the 2nd set when Jenn was behind by the break and she did the huge, monsterous return off of Serenas 1ST SERVE! How fast was it going? Overall it was a great match, both of them seem to be winners.

Analysis: Serena always makes lots of errors in her matches, she hit 53 UFE, to Jenns 23. But she hits alot of winners too, she hit 42. She plays high risk tennis, some you miss some you get. However, some of the errors she did, Capriati forced her to do, e.g In the first set when serena kept hitting that wide backhand, and trying to wrong foot Jen, but Jen kept going back and then she sliced it over, kept the ball low and made serena have to hit up on the ball, but she hit it in the net, if she had of hit it up, Capriati would of smashed it down. Which drew Serena to make the error. Capriati remined me of Hewitt, running for everything and making your opponent play another shot.

I also feel that the serve was a big factor in that match, Jenn in this tourdament seems to have cut down on the double faults. In the match she did 7, and Serena did 8. In the toudament, Serena did 18, Jenn did 19. Which are close, Jenn normal does about 19 in a match. However, Serena gets free points and aces of her first serve, she hit 14 aces to Jenns 2. If Capriati this winter works very hard on her serve and improves it, she would be hard to break. Jenn broke Serena 5 times, Serena broke Jenn 5 times, Jenn had 17 break points, Serena had 13. It seems weird, as Serenas serve is alot better than Capriatis, yet Jenn could break it and get break points. If Serena could only break Jenn 5 times with that serve then if she improved her serve, would the match of had the same outcome. e.g Serena has a break point, Jenn gets a big first serve in, to force an error.

Jenns mental game was awesome today, who thought that after suffering losses like 6-0 6-3 and 6-1 6-1, she would come to this event, get to the semis and take a set of Serena 6-2? Jenn didn't moan and complain like she normal does and stayed focoused and determined, that helped her alot, if she could keep the attitude it would help her. Serena use to be like that in 2001, but she then just shut up on court and got on with it and stayed focoused.

Both girls had remrkable fitness, Serenas iS great. Jenns worked on hers and shes now back to her old fitness, she could run for alot more than she could at the start of the year. At the French against Serena Jenn said she felt tired in the 3rd set and didn't give it everything, thats because of her fitness, but now shes improved it she can now feel better in long matches and play the 3rd set better. In Australia, it will be a big factor, you need to be fit to be able to run in the blazing heat in Australia, your not aloud to get tired.

I think today showed why Serenas no.1 and Jenns no.3, altough thinking about how many sets and close matches Venus and Serena played this year, and how many Jenn and Serena played.
Jenn vs. Serena

SF Roland Garros May 27 2002 S Williams(3) - J Capriati(1) 3-6 7-62 6-2

SF Rome May 13 2002 S Williams(4) - J Capriati(2) 6-2 3-6 7-5

F Key Biscayne Mar 18 2002 S Williams(8) - J Capriati(1) 7-5 7-64

F Scottsdale Feb 25 2002 S Williams(3) - J Capriati(1) 6-2 4-6 6-4

Serena vs. Venus

F US Open Aug 26 2002 S Williams(1) - V Williams(2) 6-4 6-2

F Wimbledon June 24 2002 S Williams(2) - V Williams(1) 7-64 6-3

F Roland Garros May 27 2002 S Williams(3) - V Williams(2) 7-5 6-3

SF Key Biscayne Mar 18 2002 S Williams(8) - V Williams(2) 6-2 6-2

All straight sets wins. So next year, who knows what threats the Williams will have. Serenas biggest threat this year was Jenn, all 3 sets, apart from 1 (7-5 7-6). Also, Seles looked great and caused trouble, but she needs a bit of speed I think. Australia will be intresting, as of the intense heat and how players can handle it? Be nice to see Jenn beat Serena in the AO Final. Don't you think?

Weevee
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:16 PM
I am glad it was a great match. Jenn saves her best for Serena.

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Simplify - You're absolutely right. It was boringly similar to their other nine matches, all of which either wnet three sets, or had a set than needed seven games to win. In other words, this matchup is guaranteed excitiement, and it delivered again. No, it wasn't anything new. I wasn't looking for 'new'. I was looking for intense, exciting, and the issue being in doubt til the very end. And I got it.

RAA
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Totally agree, it was a great match.
Yes, I do think that all their matches have been close this year, but for some reason, maybe because Jen was serving better and because she looked the fittest I've seen in a while, it was even more tightly contested. my affection for jen has had its ups and downs, but I love the fighter in her. she LOVES to FIGHT and is a great competitor. its fantastic to watch.
With all due respect to Venus, I did feel like i was watching the #1 and #2 players in the world yesterday.

CC
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Jennifer must be happy with this performance, which is why she didn't seem so sour at the net when it was over. Considering the bagels and breadsticks leading up to this, I did not expect her to play so well. Good for her.

Dirty Sanchez
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Well done to both, it was a great match!! :)

Jenn played so well and came very close to winning but Serena showed why she's the best and ended up winning!

Unlucky Jenn, Well Played Serena! :)

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Tell you what. Right now, Jenn is convinced she's going to win OZ again. She had to have doubts after how she's played since the US, but when she looks at the tape from yesterday, she's going to be pretty happy with how she played.

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:57 PM
fantastic match. enjoyed every moment. these women bring out the best in each other. it was nice to see their cordiality at net. Serena seems to be such a naturally warm person!

what struck me was the similarity in their styles of play. their only difference was the serve IMO. their groundstrokes from the baseline were almost indistinguishable in form. it was Serena's extra agrressiveness that won her the game IMO.

TSequoia01
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Before the match I knew Jen had a good chance against Serena. Serena's form this tournament has been poor and she admits as much. Serena never doublefaults like she has in this tourney. Her serve has been under par, and I cannot remember how many forehands she sent into the net. The same thing was true against Dokic, and Smashnova. But she always competes. Actually her form has been slipping ever since Wimby. What amazes me is she continues to win. With Jennifer it is all motivation it appears with her. No way should she only win one tournment in a whole year. But their rivalry is great for Women's tennis and promises to be exciting next year as well. 2002 was and forever will be remembered as the year of the Sisters. They worked extremely hard, well at least the first half of the year and to remain at the top that work must not drop off. :cool:

Rubylips
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:05 PM
We haven"t seen the best of the Williams Sisters.Mr. Williams keep all those note"s for something.Can"t wait for 2003.