PDA

View Full Version : "Martina Who?" - Referring to Hingis - What did Pam Mean?

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:01 AM
I think she meant Martina Hingis' none factor toward the end of the year. As if she doesn't matter anymore?

What do you think?

AgassiGirl16
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:02 AM
I don't like her..enough said. She thinks she is the best thing that ever happened to tennis, and she's too critical, she never liked Hingis, and she never will. Everything she says is something bad aboiut her.

Mary Kate

england_rules
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Yeah I hate her guts!!!!

Rene
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:12 AM
If Pam was talking on Martina Hingis, that's not nice nor professional. She is a commentator, she should be impartial in her comments!

Alley
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:12 AM
What did Pam say that isn't true? Hingis is no longer even a factor. As Hingis loved to say about Graf who achieved much more than Hingis could ever dream of. " Her time has passed." Graf showed Hingis she was wrong in Paris, but Hingis doesn't have the game to come close to the top players anymore. Imagine if she were playing in this event today, she would have been struggling to win games against Serena, JenCap, and Kim. Pam is dead right.

victory1
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Agree with Pam, "Martina who?"

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:15 AM
I agree with Alley.

MartianJoeyWinson
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:54 AM
I still think it is grossly disrespectful and quite simply (as I have said again and again and again and yes... I'm going to say it again..... she should never be let near a microphone.

Mind you, makes a great t-shirt or flag slogan to unveil during Wimbledon ideally unfurled during the inevitable Martina match in which Pam co-commentates on... (did I say that out loud?)

MartianJoeyWinson
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:55 AM
And I forgot to close the bracket at some point during my last utterance.

Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Even without this comment, she is a really irritating commentator

o0O0o
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I'm sure Pam's career was as great as this "Martina" she is talking about, what with Pam's GS titles and weeks at number one.

Hurley
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Pam who? :confused:

tenn_ace
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Pam's a bitch and I can't wait to tell her that at the next Pilot Pen or US Open...

John Mac's remarks about different players sound a like compliments after that....

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:43 AM
I think Pam is trying to end the year with a little controversy.....the Staples Center seems sleepy at times

Messenger
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:47 AM
It's good to see that Pam is critical of Hingis for a change. She's one of the biggest Hingis freaks, always talking about how smart she is, how she has the best "tennis brain" - it's so annoying.

schnyder lover
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:54 AM
i don't think there is anything wrong with pam, and i think you guys just love to read too much into what commentators say. hingis would be factor if she played like she was at the start of the year. she will never domimate the tour, but she still has the potential to be a force, we just have to weight and see if she comes back.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Pam Spam *yawn*

franny
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:06 AM
pam hates martina, i remember at the australian open with marti's match against serra-zeniti, pam wouldn't stop talking crap about martina and so many viewers called and emailed that she had to apologize on public television, even though she didn't mean it. and its not the fact that its true or not true, its the fact that she said it and thats juss plain out rude and its not like she's anything specia.

Lisbeth
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:17 AM
To place Pammy's comments in context, could someone just remind me how many GS SINGLES titles she won?

And how many Martina has won already, regardless of whether her career is over or not (hopefully not)?

Aha! I see the problem.

Interesting that Pam's old doubles partner the orginal Martina does not feel the need to make such rude comments.

irinska
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:03 AM
I'm glad that I watched Eurosport and there's no need to listen to such bad commentator .

irma
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:19 AM
martina is not american so is nothing according to them :rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Martina still has more singles GS titles than all but one player on tour at the moment.

Atleast, Martina will always be remembered as one of the best tennis players ever. Pam meanwhile, will be one of those footnotes, who'll keep her spot in tennis obscurity.

Sam L
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
A cheap shot, this kinda stuff makes me lose respect in her everyday. She's a commentator, grow up!

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Pam has far more EARNED the right to make comments than anyone posting here. She played on the tour for years, she won a title or two, and she's in the Hall of Fame. Sure Martina has a better singles record. Pam has a better doubles record. Does that mean the comment would have been fine with you if Chris Evert had said it? And does that mean Martina Hingis has no right to comment on Monica, or Steffi, or Margaret Court?

Pam is in no way my favorite commentator. I vastly prefer Mary Carillo. (I am more and more impressed with Cliffie. One day he'll be real good) But only a fool or someone with NO historical sense of tennis could write Pam off as a non-achiever. There's no arguement to be made she doesn't know the sport, and the ability of the players. So she dissed your fave and now you're pissed. If that blinds you to the positives of what she does, you lose, not her.

You have a choice. Two at least in fact.

1) Don't watch if she's the commentator.

Downside - As the ratings slide, they won't blame Pam, they'll blame the sport.

2) Write the network and tell them how much you hate her.

Downside - Any commentator people to write in about usually GAINS power and prestige, rather than losing it. All publicity is good is this level.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Volcana, the posters here make comments on the Internet, not on television. And Pam is a commentator and with the commentating jacket comes responsibility. This reminds me of the time when martina.N accussed Steffi of faking.

RAA
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Well, it might have been a little off-putting to Martina fans, but in some ways it really encapsulates what has happened to Martina. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that she was #1 and in the semis and finals of major events. And now she is almost completely off the radar screen...
I myself find it a bit odd that Hingis isn't around at these big events too. however, after seeing capriati and serena going at it yesterday, it was clear to me that Hingis couldn't have competed i that match. she doesn't have the speed or the power. She used to have the fighting spirit, but I don't really see it there anymore.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:31 PM
She's injured! :rolleyes:

barmaid
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:14 PM
A definite "cheap" shot by a shoddy commentator who has been known to have "dissed" Martina many times in the past....as a person who has attained all her accomplishment on the coat-tails of the great Martina Navratilova she showed a real lack of respect for Martina Hingis in this instance, yeah! Pam kick 'em when she's down....what great sportmanship to emulate:eek: :rolleyes: :sad: Bring on Mary Carillo!!;)

barmaid:wavey:

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:19 PM
barmaid!!! :wavey:

barmaid
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:48 PM
I disagree with Volcana who stated Pam "earned" the right to call "Martina who"?? For somebody who spent as many years on the tour as Pam and presumably gained all that experience making a living off the sport of tennis..her analysis of the game should be treated with much respect and that includes the players as well. Just as Hingis didn't "earn" the right to diss Graf and Novotna when she was younger....but she was not an impartial TV commentator..just an immature kid who I think since that time has learned to respect the legends of the game and in the same token has "earned" the right to be respected as well!!

barmaid:wavey:

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:56 PM
I was talking about Martina Navratilova. She was so poor at doubles, I carried her. Hence the Martina Who?

Martian KC
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
I was talking about Martina Navratilova. She was so poor at doubles, I carried her. Hence the Martina Who?

LMAO! I hope that's what you meant!:p

I hope the Hingis-hata's feel the same way when their favorite is no longer a factor on the tour, not that I am saying Martina isn't.

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:31 PM
To answer the originator of this thread as to what Pam meant: She meant which Martina, as in Hingis or Navrotilova. You cannot refer to Hingis by her first name in a tennis conversation and be clear as to whom you are speaking, particularly when Pam has had as much history with Martina, the original. I heard the Pam comment, and it defeinately was not meant to be a dig at Hingis. I was wondering what all the fuss was about.

brickhousesupporter
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Could someone tell me exactly when did Pam make this comment about Martina. I watched the tape over and I could not find it.

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:48 PM
NO. 99% of the time it is clear from the context which martina people are referring to. She just thinks she is clever. :rolleyes: