PDA

View Full Version : WTA Tour Championships Final: (5)Kim Clijsters v. (1) Serena Williams

o0O0o
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Jennifer Capriati put up a worthy fight, but ultimately lacked the highly-skilled net cord shots to beat Serena Williams.

Kim Clijsters embarressed Venus Williams, ripping winners against the injured loser. Unfortunately, Kim didn't get her opportunity to belt out a bagel, or so much as get a "real" win. But with Clijsters' level of play the last few days and today, there is no doubt the match would have been a quick victory, even against a healthy Venus.

So the question is, who is going to be the winner of the hardest and last tournament of the year? What one player can finish the year saying they did not lose their last match?

No doubt, Serena is the favorite. When one has the physique of Zeus, even the muscular Clijsters has little chance...on paper. But how close have their recent matches been? Serena is 5-0 against Clijsters, with at least three of their matches, including their last one, going to three sets. In fact, in their last match, Kim was quite close to dusting Serena in straight sets, before the Williams' crutch for poor ground skills (the serve) kicked in.

There are many different categories to compare the two. Serena has the better serve. Clijsters may have the better return. Certainly, Serena won't be able tee off on Clijsters' heavy, well placed serves like she did against Capriati's up-the-middle, flat ones. As far as speed, Serena is viewed as being fast because she is, yet Clijsters may have the advantage. She is every bit as quick but much more athletic, having better reach, footwork, and a lower center of gravity. Both are known for their forehands. Serena's is better. Clijsters has a better backhand (in fact, I think her backhand is better than her forehand). Clijsters can volley better and most importantly, is more comfortable hitting drops, slices, and lobs. Both love angles. Serena is better at turning defense into offense. Clijsters is better at defensive shots, however. Both players can be their own worst enemies.

Undoubtedly, there are many similarities between the two. The main difference being that Serena is more raw, while Clijsters is more technically in tune. It should be a fun match. Many, including me, saw this match-up coming weeks ago. Who will win?

Advantage Clijsters, 6-3 3-6 6-3.

DD
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:53 AM
YOU ARE CALLING VENUS A LOSER

YOU ARE A COMPLETE FOOL

Rubylips
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:54 AM
REALLY.

harloo
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:55 AM
shut up 5 0's.:rolleyes:

niratti
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Come on Kim!!!

Good luck in the Final!! :)

victory1
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:57 AM
:rolleyes: these Hingis fans, you can only feel sorry for them, is that not so zero:p

england_rules
Go Kim!

lala
Dear idiooOOoot

So seen as Kim has a better backhand, better returne and is clearly more athletic than Serena, she must be the no 1 ranked player with 3 slam titles this year?:confused:

Rubylips
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 AM
DD I totally agree with you.Someone"s dreaming.

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:58 AM
You make a habit of picking the wrong Winner. Nonetheless, I don't believe the Williams fan base would care if Serena lost to Clijsters.

I do believe Pam Shriver said.......MARTINA WHO?????

CC
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:59 AM
Ok, whose pathetic excuse for an alter ego is this? Will someone please own up? It is difficult to believe one can possibly be a genuine Jackass with such a level of consistency.

frenchvee
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:01 AM
So well said CC

Ce gars est un pure imbécile.
Sorry.

Chance
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:04 AM
You need therapy 00000.

I like both girls , I hope it's an intense match with Serena winning. A great way to finish the year . Good Luck Serena :D :D
& Good luck Kim but not too much :)

AgassiGirl16
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:04 AM
I predicted what would happen today, so I'm going to go against the odds and say Kim will take it in 3 tough sets. Go Kim!!

Mary Kate

Jericho
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:08 AM
o0O0o you are an ignorant fool and a jack@ss...if you say venus (who is #2) is a loser than everyone who plays tennis other than serena must lower than coackroach crap (including hingis), not even i would celebrate a players injury...are you even human!?!?!:rolleyes: :(

P.S - in your next life you're probably gonna end up being a toilet brush...:rolleyes:

o0O0o
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:17 AM
Like a pack of locusts/wolves/hyenas, they come with their theeth showing and their insults misfiring. Not naming names, I would just like to point out that I am celebrating the breif performance Clijsters gave today, and not Venus' injury. I hope she gets well soon so the Big Belgian Babe can continue to whoop up on her.

Being a "COMPLETE FOOL" for calling Venus a "loser", surely I must be wrong in stating that the often-injured world number five does a few things better than the world number one. Then again, anyone with a dictionary can back me that Venus clearly is a loser on this day and anyone with knowledge of the game of tennis knows that some players do some things better than other players.

By the way, someone here can speak French on a pre-school level. Congratulations, you have more in common with your favorite than I thought!

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Personally, I wouldn't get to peeved by what (00000) has to say about Venus.

How much money did Venus make this year?

How much money did ooo's fave win this year, and if we factor in Venus' endorsement (that keeps on coming)..........

Seems to me Venus beat oooo's fave without even playing her - where it counts

IN THE POCKET BOOK!

CC
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by o0O0o
Like a pack of locusts/wolves/hyenas, they come with their theeth showing and their insults misfiring. Not naming names, I would just like to point out that I am celebrating the breif performance Clijsters gave today, and not Venus' injury. I hope she gets well soon so the Big Belgian Babe can continue to whoop up on her.

Being a "COMPLETE FOOL" for calling Venus a "loser", surely I must be wrong in stating that the often-injured world number five does a few things better than the world number one. Then again, anyone with a dictionary can back me that Venus clearly is a loser on this day and anyone with knowledge of the game of tennis knows that some players do some things better than other players.

By the way, someone here can speak French on a pre-school level. Congratulations, you have more in common with your favorite than I thought!
Absolutely brilliant rebuttal ...

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:40 AM
everyone's entitled to their own opinion and to make their own predictions. no need to get nasty bec someone's assessment/prediction doesn't match your own...

my prediction? Serena in straights...but it will be a good match bec Kim was taking notes courtside. i admire that. she wants to win and she was willing to show up and scout the match herself. that's the right attitude. too bad she'll lose anyway, but if she manages by some miracle to spank Serena, i will be truly happy for her...;) ;)

go Sure Winna!!!!! :bounce:

TSequoia01
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Kim Clijsters is a class act and a very talented tennis player. Kim has great coverage, power, and finesse. But you cannot gloss over the fact that she has lost 5 straight times to Serena. Now as to form Kim currently has the edge. Serena is coming off of layoff. The last time she came off of layoff she lost to Chanda. Another good player. Maybe the fact that Serena is off form is where your confidence comes. I understand, the difference in their achievements if they are so close physically must be mental.
Serena must hold the mental edge over Kim as she does with Capriati. Who will win depends on which Serena shows up. I noticed today her timing was a bit off. If she can somehow regroup in that regard she will win. But 53 ue's against Kim will make it mighty tough. But I have learned so many times you never count a Williams Sister out. :cool:

MarcusRock
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:46 AM
What do you expect of a bitter Hingis fan with not much to do these days but watch the current women of the tour erase his favorite's legacy with each passing tournament? Again, Martina who? Try again Penta-ZERO.

CC
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:04 AM
It wasn't really because of the prediction; just the jackassedness.

Nov 11th, 2002, 02:07 AM
I'm expecting a close match. THe deciding factors is likely to be 1st serve percentages

tennisIlove09
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by CC
It wasn't really because of the prediction; just the jackassedness.

Jackassedness...is that a word? ;)

"Topaz"
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Ok guys, let's change the subject. Let's talk, say, about soy products or even ice cream. Where is Freethinker? He's good at that.

I like butter-pecan/almond ice cream. How about you?

Freewoman33
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:15 AM
If you feel offended by this thread as I do, you won't post in it. As simple as that. Let the started of the thread, who sort to disrespect the sisters, and those who don't feel that it is disrespectful in any way, continuing posting in it. This person obviously has something against Venus and Serena, hence all his posts disrespecting them. Besides, there's a who will win post in the championships section.

My first and last post.

CC
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09

Jackassedness...is that a word? ;)
It is if I say it is. :punk ;)

lizchris
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:19 AM
If I am not mistaken, doesn't Venus own a 3-2 advantage over Kim? Plus, before today, the only win she had was on clay and it was three sets. Today's match will go down as a loss for Venus, but most people won't consider it a real loss because she was injured.

Also, there was an ass kicking, but Venus gave it to Kim at the 2001 USO. I think the score was 6-1, 6-1.

By the way, I might be wrong, bur I think qunituple 0 is happy Venus was injured and that makes him the super zero he is and I hope the ass kicking tomorrow will be given by Serena to Kim.

"Topaz"
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:31 AM
Talk about food, guys, food or maybe vacation sites, books, movies. Forget about 5'o. He/she's just tickling your nerves and is now going LMAO for having succeeded.

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Actually, TennisPower Ice-Cream is very fattening.

I prefer sorbet. Especially, Raspberry sorbet. YES!!!

Nov 11th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Brought It!
Actually, TennisPower Ice-Cream is very fattening.

I prefer sorbet. Especially, Raspberry sorbet. YES!!!
LMAO!

PhoenixStorm
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Here he is spilling his vile bile. Kim I love ya but you can't get much satisfaction from playing a injured opponent who retires. And if Venus is a loser for retiring from a match I wonder what that makes martina who can now be beat by rita kuti kis. LOL.

"Kim Clijsters embarressed Venus Williams, ripping winners against the injured loser. Unfortunately, Kim didn't get her opportunity to belt out a bagel, or so much as get a "real" win. But with Clijsters' level of play the last few days and today, there is no doubt the match would have been a quick victory, even against a healthy Venus."

Oh yeah its really emabarassing when you are obviously injured and forced to retire.:rolleyes: Your bias is so obvious its funny. Also kim did get a real win. Youre a fool if you think she did not, but as others have already stated you love to play the fool, keep it up. Funny how kims level of play hasn't helped her head to head with venus.:rolleyes:

"No doubt, Serena is the favorite. When one has the physique of Zeus, even the muscular Clijsters has little chance...on paper. But how close have their recent matches been? Serena is 5-0 against Clijsters, with at least three of their matches, including their last one, going to three sets. In fact, in their last match, Kim was quite close to dusting Serena in straight sets, before the Williams' crutch for poor ground skills (the serve) kicked in."

once again you show your sheer lack of knowledge. All the muscle in the world wont help you without technique and timing. Serena wins because her technique is sound, her timing is on, and her mental strength is formidable. Mike Tyson would not beat a tennis player on the court and he is the more muscular than most athletes ever. yet fools such as yourself continually search for a reason to bash the athletic girls on tour as if they meaning lindsay, jen, serena, momo, kim, jelena only win because of their muscles. Only amateurs who know nothing about tennis think this way, thanks for confirming my thoughts about you.

Oh and serena's poor ground skills took her to three consecutive grand slams. no one since graf has achieved that. Maybe you really dont know much about tennis. Let me explain: serena plays a high risk game. Do you know what that means? It means she goes for winners, she goes for the lines, she does not play the safe conversavtive game of patty cake that martina plays. Serena plays aggressive. Of course only a fool such as yourself would confuse that with poor groundies.

I take it all back about love seles being the most ignorant member of this board because oooo surely deserves that honor.

"Topaz"
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Sorbet? I've never tried that. Yogurt, of course. But, fattening or not, that butter-pecan/almond ice cream is something else. You may have to burn an additional 400 calories at the gymn, yet it's all worth it.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:18 AM
I too can't wait for martina to come back so serena can continue to whup that butt and jennifer and lindsay and venus and kim and myskina and dokic...um is there anyone who can't beat martina now? LoL!! Her game is so last century.

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by TennisPower
Sorbet? I've never tried that. Yogurt, of course. But, fattening or not, that butter-pecan/almond ice cream is something else. You may have to burn an additional 400 calories at the gymn, yet it's all worth it.

Butter-pecan used to be my favorite. Still is. I think this past summer I ate some and went to sleep. I dreamt many dreams. Yet, I did awake to a little pouch of a stomach. I can't have that...and since I'm lactose intolerant anyway, I don't miss it much.

Yet, I keep at least two cartons of sherbert in the freezer. Actually, I'm going to check and see what kind I'm going to enjoy now.

Brought It!
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:29 AM
I have

Edy's Tropical Rainbow Sorbet. Not my personal favorite, but It'll do.

Williams Rulez
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Serena fans rejoice! :D

Given his track record of predicting winners, Serena is bound to win for sure. Sorry Kim, but someone just jinxed you real bad. :(

Nov 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Williams Rulez
Serena fans rejoice! :D

Given his track record of predicting winners, Serena is bound to win for sure. Sorry Kim, but someone just jinxed you real bad. :(
I still think I'd prefer to be Kim than someone facing her in the semi-final. THAT is a jinx

servenrichie
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:24 AM
originally posted ny Tennischick:

everyone's entitled to their own opinion and to make their own predictions. no need to get nasty bec someone's assessment/prediction doesn't match your own...

Is that what you saw in his post/thread Tennischick? assessment/prediction?? What the hell i am not suprised!

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:10 PM
actually servenbitchy, 5 O's did express an opinion and make a prediction that i happened to not agree with. getting involved in a whole string of nasty attacks seems pointless to me. yes we could switch the topic to ice-cream (there's nothing like a smooth rum-raisin), or we could simply make our own predictions instead -- which is what i chose to do. you however clearly saw it as just an opportunity to attack me. i really wish you'd get over your obsession with me -- it's not healthy. why don't we just stick to talking tennis and omit all the nasty, unnecessary attacks?

oops, i guess calling you servenbitchy is not in keeping with this suggestion is it? :p :p

servenrichie
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Well, well seems i am one of the few people to see thru your holier-than-though attitude and you result to name calling, pointing fingers at others at the same time. I shall repeat, I am not suprised?

It takes maturity to state your opinions, while not failing to condemn what is wrong. If you cant, the least you could do is to shut the f**k up and stop pointing fingers at someone else!

And to say that i am obsessed with you, dont flatter yourself!
You are taking yourself way too serious!!!

Infiniti2001
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:33 PM
ModernRockSteadyStrokeso0O0o:
Kim Clijsters embarrassed Venus Williams, ripping winners against the injured loser.

Are you a moron or what??? You don't 'embarass' someone who is obviously lame-- get some help my man, because your dying obsession with Williamses will make you go BONKERS.

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:43 PM
servenbitchy, i haven't pointed a finger at anyone except you -- and that was in response to your completely inane accusation. i come on here to talk tennis. if you have any other agenda, i am not interested. sorry if i sound holier than thou but these are my honest feelings.

as for the comments regarding Venus vs Kim, it is impossible to judge either woman's performance bec of Venus' injury. perhaps Kim was playing well enuf to beat Venus -- we will never know bec Venus was injured. perhaps a healthy Venus would have beaten her -- Venus is a player that you simply never count out bec even when it looks as if she is about to lose, she still finds a way to win. but we'll never know bec she was injured. these arguments are therefore pointless for the simple fact of Venus' injury.

servenrichie
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:01 PM
You seem to have short memories or you like twisting things to suit you, that is something you know better than i.
The starter of this thread posted:

orginally posted by oooo:
Jennifer Capriati put up a worthy fight, but ultimately lacked the highly-skilled net cord shots to beat Serena Williams.

Kim Clijsters embarressed Venus Williams, ripping winners against the injured loser. Unfortunately, Kim didn't get her opportunity to belt out a bagel, or so much as get a "real" win. But with Clijsters' level of play the last few days and today, there is no doubt the match would have been a quick victory, even against a healthy Venus.

So the question is, who is going to be the winner of the hardest and last tournament of the year? What one player can finish the year saying they did not lose their last match?

No doubt, Serena is the favorite. When one has the physique of Zeus, even the muscular Clijsters has little chance...on paper. But how close have their recent matches been? Serena is 5-0 against Clijsters, with at least three of their matches, including their last one, going to three sets. In fact, in their last match, Kim was quite close to dusting Serena in straight sets, before the Williams' crutch for poor ground skills (the serve) kicked in.

There are many different categories to compare the two. Serena has the better serve. Clijsters may have the better return. Certainly, Serena won't be able tee off on Clijsters' heavy, well placed serves like she did against Capriati's up-the-middle, flat ones. As far as speed, Serena is viewed as being fast because she is, yet Clijsters may have the advantage. She is every bit as quick but much more athletic, having better reach, footwork, and a lower center of gravity. Both are known for their forehands. Serena's is better. Clijsters has a better backhand (in fact, I think her backhand is better than her forehand). Clijsters can volley better and most importantly, is more comfortable hitting drops, slices, and lobs. Both love angles. Serena is better at turning defense into offense. Clijsters is better at defensive shots, however. Both players can be their own worst enemies.

Undoubtedly, there are many similarities between the two. The main difference being that Serena is more raw, while Clijsters is more technically in tune. It should be a fun match. Many, including me, saw this match-up coming weeks ago. Who will win?

Advantage Clijsters, 6-3 3-6 6-3.

Some people got riled up not because of his prediction, but because as usual he is insulting Venus and Serena again and this was your answer:

originally posted by Tennischick:

I asked you whether you honestly thought that was an opinion/assessment. What he said was insultive, even if you dont want to call him on that, the last thing you should do is to start pointing fingers at people calling him on his insultive posts.
What the hell, why am i bothering. Go screw yourself!

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:49 PM
why are you bothering indeed. that's what i'd like to know. for the life of me i can't understand why you don't just put me on "ignore" and save yourself the torment.

as for 5 O's original post, i disagreed with it and said so. if you want to have him/her drawn and quartered, i'm afraid you'll have to do it yourself as that is simply not my style. responding to hate with hate accomplishes nothing IMO. gosh there i go being all holier than thou again...:o :o