PDA

View Full Version : Did Shriver just say that?

Jakeev
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Ok is it me or did I just hear Pam Shriver say in her commentary, "Jennifer is a warrior competitor compared to Jelena who is a Wussy one?"

I can just hear it now.......

Jordan.
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Yes she did :eek:

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
pam u r terruble sometimes...

Infiniti2001
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:37 PM
I am watching the match with my television on mute.She's horrible...

Crazy Canuck
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:37 PM
We are surprised at the obnoxious things that Pam says? ;)

Hawk
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
:eek: That's so mean!

Underdog
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:54 PM
definately a poor choice of words

Lisbeth
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
I have no trouble believing it:

Translation: Jennifer is an American and Jelena is not.

Honestly, do these comentators think we are stupid? (And by the way, we have equally biased ones in Australia, I'm not suggesting for a minute it's only Pam/Americans who go on like that!)

Dokicfan17
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:03 PM
yeah i heard it, was it shriver or mary joe lol? i thought it was Mary Joe? but whoever it was, there hotel doors better be locked lol jk

dont be dissin my girl jelena!!!!! they would be lucky to even win a game against Serena!

Monica_Rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:06 PM
:eek:

endiadjendiadj
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:20 PM
I'm a fan of Jelena D. but I happen to agree with Pam S. on this one. Maybe Pam should've put it in a more politically correct way, though.:eek:

o0O0o
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Jelena Dokic tanks matches.

This is a well known fact. Don't blame this on "Americans".

idiots...

Pamela Shriver
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:38 PM
Did Shriver just say that?

Yes. I did. ;)

Julian
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:44 PM
I think she was referring to Jelena's poor play in the 2nd set against Serena last night..not as a player..

victory1
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Fernandez also said, "no disrespect to Clisjsters, but Capriati is motivate to win this match because she knows it's not Venus Williams waiting at the other end."

treufreund
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:19 PM
:rolleyes: @ Pam. She is still making catty comments about Martina Hingis too. Despite everything Martina has been through. Pam is not nice.

iluvtrent
She and Mary Jo are the worst, crude and rude:mad:

Pureracket
As a wussy, I totally feel disrespected.

CC
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:20 PM
She didn't mean it in general terms. She seemed to be saying that if things got tight and the pressure was on, Jennifer would still fight like a warrior while Jelena would wuss out. She was referring specifically to Jelena's attitude against Serena in the second set of their quarterfinal.

nander
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:26 PM
I don't want to get into the American issue because I am not American but from what I saw of Dokic vs Serena, Pam was right... she stopped playing. At no point today did one get the feeling that Jennifer would quit trying to win.
I think both Shriver and Fernandez do pretty well actually.

niratti
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:26 PM
she always has bad mouth!!!

I never like her and I never will!!! BITCH!!!! http://www.smilies.nl/eviltongue.gif

PhoenixStorm
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:27 PM
well didnt dokic tank that match against chanda this summer? why are u attacking pam when she is just stating the truth? When you dont try you are taking.

Venus Forever
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:32 PM
I Love Pam, She is just soo funny sometimes.

No disrespect to Jelena, but she did kind of tank that second set. She didn't even try.

JC
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:39 PM
JELENA WAS SUCH A POOR SPORT AFTER THE FIRST SET. JELENA DOESN'T HAVE THAT FIGHTING FORCE THAT CAPRIATI HAS, THAT'S WHY SHE WAS DESTROY. AND COME ONE INS'T JELENA ONE OF THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD? AND TO BE BAGEL COME ON. I AGREE 100% WITH PAM. AND PLEASE CUT THE CRAP ABOUT CAPRIATI BEING AMERICAN AND JELENA NOT. CAPRIATI DID NOT GAVE UP SHE CONTINUES FIGHTING UNTIL THE END. JELENA WAS A WUSSY.

potty
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Well some of u obviously don't know the full facts about Jelena in the second set of the match!!!, She had a foot injury which meant she could not push off properly, hence looking slow and like she was not really trying!! You would have thought the American commentators would have known that!! The Eurosport ones did and mentioned it when the Venus match was on about not being able to push off !!

potty
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Oh and I can't stand Jelena just wanted the facts to be known!!!

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:51 PM
you know, after Pam said that, MJ put it nicely instead and said "she folded"(Dokic). I love Pam Shriver because she is a funny lady, but not tonight.

england_rules
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:59 PM
What a BITCH she is!!!!!!!

Venus Forever
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by potty
Well some of u obviously don't know the full facts about Jelena in the second set of the match!!!, She had a foot injury which meant she could not push off properly, hence looking slow and like she was not really trying!! You would have thought the American commentators would have known that!! The Eurosport ones did and mentioned it when the Venus match was on about not being able to push off !!

But how does it take 13 games before the injury starts to act up?? She had the injury going into match. I think it is just an excuse for her tanking out.

AgassiGirl16
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:00 AM
I really hate her as a commentator. She thinks she is the greatest thing that ever walked the face of the earth! They need a new commentator, and she needs a new look!

Mary Kate

nander
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:13 AM
Injuries could explain that of course but we were not made aware of that. I wonder why she did not just retire, she has had a long year and several other injuries.
Am I the only one who thinks that players are almost always expected to play through injuries and pain? Maybe non players and fans should back off and let the people who know their bodies make their decisions about what is appropriate for them? In other words to retire and withdraw if necessary.

Alley
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Pam is dead Right. You Hingis fans are hilarious. As Martina loved to say about champions much greater than herself:

'HER TIME HAS PASSED'. It's time for Hingis to eat a little bit of what she used to dish out. Complete poetic justice, I love it. LOL

tennischick
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
Yes. I did. ;)

LOL!! hey Pam you've been hanging around Mary carillo for too long!! :eek:

what Pam said about Dokic is fact IMO. why should she nicen things up?

the cat
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Shriver puts her foot in her mouth again! Just like alot of this boards posters do! ;)

And Number1Kim is 100% right! Shriver never would have said such a thing about Dokic if she was American! :eek:

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver

Yes. I did. ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:53 PM
She said Jelena was one in the second set! It was funny. I like Pam a lot. She makes me laugh!!!!

Helen Lawson
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Did she or Mary Jo ever say anything about ASV. I was waiting for them to mention potential retirement, the rumors, whatever. But I did not watch the Serena/Dokic match and a few other early ones. Did they mention ASV at all?

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:16 PM
jenny fan, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.....

i am gonna send you an email later. you are really hot. :hearts:

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Alley's obsessed with that comment of Martina's. Alley, that was 5 years ago. Get over it!!!

Pam talks through her ass. I honestly thought she was a pretty good commentator until today, when I logged on and read her comments about Martina and now Jelena. Isn't it a strange coincidence how both are Non-Americans.

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Look, this is far from the first time I have had to witness Dokic tanking during a match. It has come to the point where I almost expect it from her when she's playing. If you are injured and can't compete, RETIRE. What Dokic did was go thru the motions, playing so unbeievable quickly I thought she had a reservation for dinner she was rushing to! If you CARE, and are trying to fight thru an injury, call a trainer, take more that a second between double-faults OR SOMETHING!! I can't beleive people are still defending Dokic for the indefensible, and criticizing Pam Shriver for being honest. Sheesh...

Ryan
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:46 PM
I love Pam:) It's so true as well, when the going gets tough, Dokic gets going/folding/tanking.;) I don't even mind Pam's Martina comment, I think it's funny, and I'm a huge Hingis fan. Keep it up Pammers.:D

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:48 PM
It's not about Dokic tanking. Even if she did tank, that is no way for a commentator to talk. But then again, limited vocabulary will do that to a person.

Pamela Shriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:50 PM
I really hate her as a commentator. She thinks she is the greatest thing that ever walked the face of the earth! They need a new commentator, and she needs a new look!

:sad: :sad: :sad:

but I AM the greatest thing that has ever walked the earth...

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by hingis-seles
It's not about Dokic tanking. Even if she did tank, that is no way for a commentator to talk. But then again, limited vocabulary will do that to a person.

She DID tank, and Shriver had the integrity to desribe it a cowardly (ie, like a Wuss). If you would have felt better with another word fine. But I don't know anybody that misunderstood what she meant, so she communicated just fine.

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:12 PM
yes, indeed she did. Its just when its a fave they are talking about they'll defend them. IF it this was Jennifer pam was referring to, everyone on here would be bowing down to Pam and kissing her size 18 feet.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:14 PM
"Wuss" is slang. It isn't even a word in the English Language. Check the dictionary. I'd like to hear her call any of the Americans a wuss for tanking. Did she call Jennifer a wuss for her crappy performance in the European indoor tournaments?

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:16 PM
yeah, she did put Capriati down for her lack of play in the fall events. She also knocked her for the Billie Jean king stuff too. So give it a break. And Pam was right on about Dokic!

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Just so that everyone knows, Dokic is no favourite of mine. I just think a professional commentator calling a professional tennis player "a wuss" is in bad taste. We never heard of Pam calling Jennifer anything while she was cursing the linespeople and umpires and just about anyone she could find at the Australian Open.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:22 PM
But did she ever call her a "wuss" for backing out of the Fed Cup which resulted in her country losing? Did she call her "a selfish ego-centric brat"?

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Did you actually see that match? Pam indeed said something about that. More than once she said Jen went too far in her tirade and couldnt believe she wasnt warned. You are just trying to make a 'Jennifer' issue out of this when their isnt one. Pam was right, Jen was trying her ass off out there last night and Dokic caved. end of story....you arent gonna win this one.

hingis-seles
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:36 PM
darren cahill, I have no intentions of "winning". I'm just trying to get my point across which is these American commentators are clearly biased towards fellow Americans. That's the only thing that pisses me off.

I actually did not see any matches that Pam commentated on this year.;):p

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Ok, well then fair enough. You shouldnt sound so sure of yourself though when making those comments cause Pam (and many others who are american commentators) have been critical of Jen. So it was equal. Pam and Mary Joe both made their views of Davenports poor attitude at times (and as we know shes american too) so its just not Dokic they put down. i think they both were fair and right on the mark

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Pam is just rude and crude. Mary Jo has tact and class and so does Cliff. Pam is just a backwards girl from Baltimore. :rolleyes:

treufreund
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:42 PM
She said that Lindsay sometimes looks like she has less energy on the court than her grandmother. I think it's a bit unfair. :rolleyes:

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Actually, if anything Pam should be jibbed a little for not calling Dokic on her tanking at the time she did it. Probrably because it happened so fast, Pam was likely as shocked and ashamed for the sport as I was.

In actual fact, Pam used "Wussily" to desribe HOW Dokic played, in contrast to Capriati, NOT TO DESCRIBE DOKIC THE PERSON. Although, given Jelena's history of doing this, she would have be justified in doing that also - BUT SHE DID NOT.

PamShriver
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Well, it seems that things have gotten a bit out of hand since Pammy had to go commentate full time this weekend. In the words of my great grandmother Betsy Ross Shriver, I say "Simma Down na! Simma Down!!!"

Pammy here meant no ill will. You know that I am a DUDE LOVIN LADY who likes nothing better than to crack wise whenever I get the chance. That's why I get all these commetating gigs, because I am the wit of the WTA tour. Have been for years. While we're on the subject, what's the deal with airplane food, I mean seriously, you get a cold slice of roast beef and some mashed potatoes and a little slice of cheesecake and this is supposed to sustain you til you land in Auckland? I mean c'mon people, they get fed better in San Quentin and there are a lot more HOT DUDES!!! in San Quentin!!! OKAY? OKAY!!! Who let my dog out? But seriously folks, back to my comments about Dokic (by the way, you can see me next at the Ha Ha Hole in Moline where I will be the opening act for none other than Mr. Carrot Top and Judy Tenuta, it's really a laugh a minute bill and if you are a MAN, DRINKS ARE ON PAMMY!!!) she completely tanked that second set against Serena and we all know it. I was just trying to put a humorous spin on the situation by calling her a wussy, which, by the way rhymes with a certain part of the female body that PAMMY IS NOT INTO COMPRENDZ-VOUS?

Anyway, it's just your typical day with Pammy-lord knows what's going to come out of my mouth, but you know it will be funny. Speaking of funny, how many lesbians does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Give up? Two, one to screw it in and the other to write a folk song about it!!! OKAY? OKAY!!! Tini that one was for you!!! Who let my dog out? LOL!!! I make myself laugh so hard I just wet my tweeds!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, you can catch me at the end of December at Caroline's in Manhattan where I will be the opening bill for Elayne Boosler and Phyllis Diller it's called a Night of Funny Dames!!!

Anyway, have to go now, have to write some new material for my HOT DUDE LOVING STAND UP COMEDY CAREER!!! BRETT BUTLER LOOK OUT!!! Pammy is the new sheriff in comedy town!

PHS

Larrybid
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Wait a minute Cliff has made similar comments about male players, like Safin and others...in coverage just the last few months. The real problem is some of you fans don't think women professionals should be critizied at all. Its gotta be a sesist thing, becasue commentators whould be all over a typical college athlete who played like Dokic did the other day, and college players don't even get paid! These tennis commentators are not near as tough as your typical SportCenter college football anaylst, yet some of you all think these tennis millioaires are being treated unfairly? You all must be kidding. Dokic should have her tournament check held up for what she did.

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:47 PM
great stuff from PamShriver! LOL

bobcat
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:58 PM
I think Shriver's comment about Davenport's lack of effort was much harsher than her comment about Dokic.

Keith
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by darren cahill
jenny fan, you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute.....

i am gonna send you an email later. you are really hot. :hearts:

Thank you Darren! That is so sweet of ya!!

Kudos to your performance in Sydney :):):):):):)

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:23 PM
what performance are you referring to? (i am bracing myself for this answer! LOL) i am no where near sydney....i'm closer to you than to there!

mishar
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:32 PM
LOL at Pam.

Larry is right. She's criticized Jennifer for her on-court conduct (though Pammy's been known to cuss a little herself) and Lindsay for her negativity and Monica for her fitness. She hasn't criticized Serena much this year but there hasn't been much to criticize.

Justine and Jelena gave pathetic performances, and considering that they're walking away with 100,000 dollar checks, it's insulting.

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Jennyfan,

i sent you an email but it came back saying your box exceeded storage allocation. We could make a joke out of that for sure, but really, do you have a different addr to send it to? I used the one on your website.

darren cahill
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:35 PM
mishtar,

actually i think it was me who said those things about jens on court actions and lindsays attitude and stuff, but thats ok, Larrys said some great stuff too! just teasing you, thats all.

vutt
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Yeah, nice thread... :( :(

Thank God I'm living in Europe :)

CellJr300
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:33 PM
I don't have a problem when Cliff says things about players, because he critisizes all the players equally. Once in a span of 2 minutes he managed to knock the work ethic of Sampras, the intelligence of Agassi, and the Heart of Roddick, and then blasted a bunch of other players after that. So I have no problem with Cliff being critical of players.

I don't like the way the Shriver goes about her comments though. She seems to pick favorite players, and then will never knock their heart, or passion, but a player that she feels no attachment to, whether it be emotional, patriotic, or whatever reason, she will bash willingly.

For example, according to the comments she bashed Jelena for not being a fighter and just giving up, but the day later Venus Williams did the same thing, and Shriver had no comments about her giving up because she has an emotional attachment to her. In her post match interview, Venus stated that she was always told by her dad not to play in pain, and that is why she retired. (If I got the statement wrong, then feel free to correct me on it.) I am not questioning the severity of the injury, or her decision to retire, the choice that Venus made was hers to make and that's fine by me, but I do question the fact that Pam Shriver lets certain things go under the radar if they affect a player she likes. All I wish is that if she is going to be the type of commentator that makes the types of comments that she did about Jelena, then she should make them about every player, not just selected ones.

Before people jump all over me, I am in no way bashing Venus, I am just using her situation as a counterpoint of Jelena's situation in regards to the way Pam Shriver talks about different players.

Rocketta
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by CellJr300

For example, according to the comments she bashed Jelena for not being a fighter and just giving up, but the day later Venus Williams did the same thing, and Shriver had no comments about her giving up because she has an emotional attachment to her. In her post match interview, Venus stated that she was always told by her dad not to play in pain, and that is why she retired. (If I got the statement wrong, then feel free to correct me on it.) I am not questioning the severity of the injury, or her decision to retire, the choice that Venus made was hers to make and that's fine by me, but I do question the fact that Pam Shriver lets certain things go under the radar if they affect a player she likes. All I wish is that if she is going to be the type of commentator that makes the types of comments that she did about Jelena, then she should make them about every player, not just selected ones.

Before people jump all over me, I am in no way bashing Venus, I am just using her situation as a counterpoint of Jelena's situation in regards to the way Pam Shriver talks about different players.

If Jelena was hurt like Venus then she should of retired and no one would have questionend her effort that day. However, most don't think Jelena was hurt. She played fine in the first set and she never callled a trainer so her bagel was well deserved and a shinning example of her "tanking". What exactly was she suppose to critisize Venus for? For trying? How dare she go on the court and try to see if she could play hurt what a Wussy?

Those two situations have absolutely nothing in common. Also, Venus said she didn't tell her father she was hurt because he always said don't play in pain (or something like that) which means Venus was willing to play in pain if it eventually warmed/loosend up. It didn't so she retired like she should have.

JasonW
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:30 AM
A commentaries job is to state things the way things are. And well, Pam happens to be right. If she said, Patty Schnyder tanks against Anna K. then some people jump all over her. But it's a fact of life. She does, and Pams telling the truth.

Consistency
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:03 AM
I have no problem with commentators telling the truth ( whatever " the truth " is ), as long as it's expressed in a non-biased manner. Also, mean spirited jokes, trash talk, and unfounded gossip about private lives should be avoided IMO.

Shriver tries too hard to be witty, a la Carillo, but she comes off sounding like a bitchy third-rate comedienne. I like to call her THE MOUTH.

How could I ever forget how she roasted Martina at AO '02? It was a nightmatch quarterfinal and I just could not believe the vitriol coming out of THE MOUTH .For a second I thought Martina shot MOUTHY'S dog.

Is that Pam's alter ego on the board?? Too bad the real Pammy S. isn't that funny. :p

Keith
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Oops....sorry about my box being full...it happens... I have an aol address, same name, different domain...

Sydney...Hmm, I weas reading Craig's posts and I misunderstood it, and now I see my error! He was writing in the post for you about Sydney, but I don't read every post thorougly (PFF) So, sometimes I make my own conclusions...

Anyhoo....

Pam is funny, and she has criticized people I like, or maybe I haven't agreed with her, but come one, she is one funny colorful commentator!!!

CellJr300
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Rocketta, Venus' situation is a perfect counterpoint to what Pam said about Jelena. I don't know if it was in this tournament, but I do remeber Pam saying that if you show up on the court to play then you should have the heart and the integrity to finish, unless it is a career injury. She went off on a tangent like this for about 5 minutes, but then all of a sudden when it is Venus that is the one retiring we here no mention of her opinion on the subject.

I have no problem with Venus retiring, if that is what she thought was right then fine, but I do have a problem with a commentetor who changes her opinions to suit different players, and to me that is what Shriver always seems to do.

CC
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:27 PM
I don't think anyone thought Jelena was injured when she came out to play Serena. She started off so well and was actually up 3-0, no? Then when she lost the tough first set she just caved in. She used the "injury" as an excuse to give up, because it never bothered her till she was losing. She didn't care to fight.

On the other hand, from the minute Venus walked on court you could tell she was injured. From the beginning, most, including the commentators were wondering if she could possibly play in that condition which was far worse than Jelena's. The girl could barely walk, but she tried anyway! Pam would have to be the most cruel person to say Venus should have finished the match.

Warrior
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:46 PM
I can't stand Pam Shriver commentating!:fiery: :mad:

jd4eva
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Actually, if anyone bothered to read articles, the WTA stated that they were actually planning an exhibition between Serena and Alex because Jelena didn't feel she was well enough to play.

But out of respect to the fans, she went out there and she even said that even if she had won the first set she doesn't think she could have won the match.