PDA

View Full Version : Venus Did Clijsters a Favor

calabar
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Judging from Venus brief "performance", she clearly should not have been on the court in the first place. However, being the classy lady that she is, she showed up, made sure the match got underway then withdrew. In the process, Clijsters will reap all of the quality points that come with beating the #2 ranked player. Had the match not gotten underway, Clijsters would not have any quality points form this match. Way to go Queen V. You may have gone out in tears but with class none the less.

Cal

wongqks
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:50 PM
I think it will be the last thing on Kim and venus mind after this match, stupid ranking points

I feel sorry for Venus though :sad:

E. Blackadder
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:51 PM
I totally agree. I saw from the first ball Venus wasn't going to end this match, but she was really kind to at least show up, otherwiser everyone else would have said again she faked it. :sad:

GoDominique
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:52 PM
:rolleyes: Coudn't it be that she just tried to play ?

Crazy Canuck
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:53 PM
At least she gave it a go I guess, though it might have been best for her if she didn't.

Either way - sucks :sad:

harloo
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Venus knew if she pulled out before the match everybody would of said she was faking. So, she put herself through that to try to please people and i don't like that. It's such a shame that she had to do that. I would of felt better if she just withdrew and wen't home and nursed her leg without risking futher injury.:sad:

turt
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Even with Venus withdrawing, Kim still would have reached the #4 spot, so it doesn't change a lot...

calabar
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Altruism aside, I'm glad she gave it a go. Remember IW 2000? They would cricify her AGAIN had she pulled before the match began. If memory serves, when Lindsay pulled last year year did the match actual began or not? anyone?

Hawk
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:01 PM
The final last year was a walkover

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:05 PM
I don't think Vee gave a present to Kim by doing this!! She just wanted to try to play!!!

GET WELL SOON VEE!!!!!!

GoDominique
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Lindsay could hardly move last year so she couldn't even give it a try.

And Venus beat Brandi at the AO with similar non-movement like today.

Chance
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Vee was in a no win situation- if she had pulled out it would have been IW2 . I hope the injury isn't too serious, take care Vee.

Good Luck Kim make the final interesting.

btw how can you compare Brandi to Kim-

Picol
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:44 PM
maybe she hurt herself in the prematch warm up

Pureracket
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Note to WTA Players in the Year Ending Championships: Don't go up against Kim Clijsters in the semifinals.

cynicole
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by clocker
Note to WTA Players in the Year Ending Championships: Don't go up against Kim Clijsters in the semifinals.

:eek:

disposablehero
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Obviously Venus has learned from both her own experience at Indian Wells last year, and from Monica's at Key Biscayne the year before. Pity that the Key Biscayne crowd could not be as understanding with Monica as the LA crowd was with Venus. Once more Venus draws strength from the living legend.

slydevil6142
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Venus knew she was hurting before the match began but she thought that perhaps she wouldnt have to be at 100% to beat kim however she was wrong and when she couldnt warm up that leg there was no point in the utter humilation that would follow... Venus did the right thing but it was very obviuose that she didnt want to withdraw if she could have helped it ... this should prove to everyone that she really does love tennis and she wants to do the best she can.. Im sure she will be ready in 03' and really make a statement

Nov 11th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by calabar
Judging from Venus brief "performance", she clearly should not have been on the court in the first place. However, being the classy lady that she is, she showed up, made sure the match got underway then withdrew. In the process, Clijsters will reap all of the quality points that come with beating the #2 ranked player. Had the match not gotten underway, Clijsters would not have any quality points form this match. Way to go Queen V. You may have gone out in tears but with class none the less.

Cal

Like these players are really caring about quality points at the moment. Venus is clearly No.2, so it doesn't matter to her and Kim focusses on tournaments rather than rankings (which is a good think considering that her ranking dropped when she won Luxembourg)

BigTennisFan
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:39 AM
When Venus came out with her left leg bandaged I told my friend that it looked a little swollen to me. Then again that could have just been the bandage but I don't think so.

Anyway she clearly was not 80%. At 80% she probably could have given Kim a good match. Though in order to beat Kim, I think that Venus has to be playing 90% or better.

franny
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
i have so much more respect towards venus now, she has been extremely classy these past few years and has come such a long way. I remember at the aussie open she was in pain and still kept trying and here, at the champsionships she was clearly in so much pain and she at least tried. I'm very very proud of venus and have so much respect for her now, she's totally won me over.

Dawn Marie
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Fearless Venus Williams rules, You'll be okay Venus and Kim Cisters is classy.

I like them all. Venus, Serena and Kim.

I want a great match tomorrow.. GO WTA tennis.

Williams Rulez
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:34 AM
I think she has learnt from Indian Wells...