PDA

View Full Version : Please Read

Simplify
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
I searched through several pages of threads and didn't find anything about this topic. If it has already been posted, just let me know and I will remove this.

Please take a moment to read this:

On 10/18, the Oprah show covered a story of a Nigerian woman, Amina Lawal, who has been sentenced to death by stoning because she had a baby out of wedlock. She has tried to appeal the decision, but has been unsuccessful thus far. The head of Nigeria disagrees with this stoning but has so far done nothing - partly because of the fear of not being re-elected. The father of the baby denied fathering the child and, hence, has escaped any form of punishment.

Amina Lawal's stoning will occur as soon as she is finished nursing her child. She will be buried up to her neck in dirt and townsmen will throw stones at her head until they kill her -- which has been known to take hours.

To join in trying to prevent this horrific and inhumane event from occurring all you have to do is visit this link:

http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/tows_2002/tows_past_20021004.jhtml

You will see a pre-written letter addressed to the Nigerian Ambassador. Just fill out your information on the bottom of the page and send it. It's as simple as that.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:22 PM
:eek:

people, this only took me 1 minute to do. think long and hard before you decide not to. this could save a woman and a child's life.

raquel
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:28 PM
she might be saved. here's an update:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2430603.stm

it's not certain she will be saved, so i would still fill in the petition.

Simplify
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Raquel, thanks so much for that update. I know it's a touchy issue because of different religious beliefs, but I just can't imagine that happening in this century. Especially, knowing that NOTHING will be done to the father. Also, I can't imagine that those WOMEN will still participate in that pageant.

i-girl
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:23 AM
hi Sim:). we actually did talk about this some time ago (it kind of became an all out war about Islam and it's stand on women), but no one gave an adress to help her out before, so it's good you did. I'll go to the adress now:) .

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:37 AM
I no longer belong to Amnesty International, because it takes up too many causes that I consider peripheral and debatable.

In this case, though, I was glad to take part in a small way in one of its campaigns.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Well I attempted to send and the thing keeps telling me to make sure my postal code is correct :confused:

I'm pretty sure I know my own postal code, grar.

Oh well, I'll pass it on to people who hopefully it won't be so annoying too, who can actually send it.